Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:capitalism:

Never forget that that decade also gave us toys and a cartoon series from this practically x-rated movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZackeB9vQNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxVbRzcOIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, "ATAX". He had snap-on bits that made him look like an Alien Queen.

Haha holy poo poo, I totally had that growing up and had forgotten all about it.
That battering ram arm. :allears:

And yes, Chappie is the most dope film.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Truest post on the page.

I think D9 is better than just ok but otherwise I agree his movies have gotten progressively better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Biomute posted:

I thought District 9 was ok. I don't get why people think Blomkamp is a genius because of it.

His other movies seem to be him retreading his steps with an increasing lack of impact.

Blomkamp is the M. Night Shyamalan of Science Fiction.

That's actually not a bad comparison, but not from the angle you're probably meaning it from.

Both directors are absurdly sincere. Like, they wear their hearts on their sleeves to an extent that basically nobody else in film matches. The primary difference I see is that Blomkamp is a good bit more competent than Shyamalan; Chappie was as self-indulgent and plainly made for the enjoyment of its creator as anything Shyamalan has made, but Blomkamp remembered to actually have something there other than self-indulgence (a borderline Serkis-level performance from Sharlto Copley and a pretty cogent argument for the illegalist end of anarchism) so it actually works.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

porfiria posted:

Elysium has a lot of good ideas and the production design is on point but it feels a bit undercooked (I think Blomkamp himself has said as much). It's the little stuff--like why did the Elysium station look like it could house about a thousand people max? William Fichtner is just able to write a program that lets him take over the whole kit and kaboodle because Jodie Foster asks him to? Why didn't he just do that before--or why didn't someone else? Is Fichtner a genius programmer? And I like Matt Damon but I'm not a huge fan of his choices in it--he's sort of just playing loquacious Matt Damon, when the role really calls for, well, Eminem or something like that.

The guy who's actually from Mexico (I think) and his friend (who's in the new Star Wars movie) should have been the lead. It would have taken care of the oh my god do we really have a white guy playing a Mexican American TYOOL 2013 head scratching problem.

edit:

mllaneza posted:

The role originally called for Ninja from Die Antwoord. He turned it down because he wanted to be known for his music and a major SF epic would overshadow that. So yeah, Eminem or something like that.

Oh, that's the guy. That's the guy I hate. And I actually like Baby on Fire! But I think he's a singularly irritating presence on screen, with a level of undeserved bravado and severe lack of irony in his own preening. I don't like that guy!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 7, 2017

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Shageletic posted:

A little bit of a derail, but I recently watched most of Chappie, and I've never seen a main character supposed to elicit sympathy (Chappie's "Daddy") that I wanted to see get murdered more.

Why are we supposed to like Ninja? He's a dumb rear end in a top hat who's only redeeming feature is he genuinely cares for Yolandi.

Shageletic posted:

The guy who's actually from Mexico (I think) and his friend (who's in the new Star Wars movie) should have been the lead. It would have taken care of the oh my god do we really have a white guy playing a Mexican American TYOOL 2013 head scratching problem.

There are "white" Latinos in Mexico and Peru and pretty much all the central and south american countries right now tyool 2017. Plus it's set future LA (modern Juarez), Max Da Costa obviously has some European ancestry as well as Mexican.

This is like when someone complained about Idris Elba having a "polish" name in Prometheus. Like yeah, maybe he's from future Poland??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruddiger posted:

:capitalism:

Never forget that that decade also gave us toys and a cartoon series from this practically x-rated movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZackeB9vQNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxVbRzcOIc

Please do not try to talk down about The Toxic Avenger! It and most other Troma movies at better than elysium and chappie and other trash movies like them!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 7, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Show me where I "talked down" about Toxic Avenger. I'm one of the few who even bring up Troma movies on this board you poser.

Shageletic posted:

"Hey, you know that brown guy that I can't even name to make my point? Yeah, we should get that guy."

Also, I have blood relatives who are blonde haired and blue eyed, if anything, having a white guy like Matt Damon helps other whites identify with where the movie's coming from. It's not like they painted him brown like Chuck Heston or something. You trying to prove a point and then just going "y'know, that guy from Mexico" is way more insulting than whatever you think is going on Elysium.

quote:

Oh, that's the guy. That's the guy I hate. And I actually like Baby on Fire! But I think he's a singularly irritating presence on screen, with a level of undeserved bravado and severe lack of irony in his own preening. I don't like that guy!

I don't know, Ninja's been quoted as saying they came at the role as if it's literally them 10 years from now when no one gives a gently caress about Die Antwood and all their wealth and fame are gone.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Black Bones posted:

Why are we supposed to like Ninja? He's a dumb rear end in a top hat who's only redeeming feature is he genuinely cares for Yolandi.

The movie hinges on you liking him. Hence the scene when the Robocop bot is about to gun him down being in slow mo, and him screaming at it taking forever to finish. The movie also obviously misjudged how much you actually care about this dude.

quote:

There are "white" Latinos in Mexico and Peru and pretty much all the central and south american countries right now tyool 2017. Plus it's set future LA (modern Juarez), Max Da Costa obviously has some European ancestry as well as Mexican.

This is like when someone complained about Idris Elba having a "polish" name in Prometheus. Like yeah, maybe he's from future Poland??

Uh do we have to go into white washing in cinema talk. Let's just say having a white guy play a hispanic guy leaves a bad taste for a variety of reasons. But even putting that aside, MOVIE STAR Mat Damon was not convincing at all as a hoodlum that could at all possibly play a gangster heel.

edit;

ruddiger posted:

I don't know, Ninja's been quoted as saying they came at the role as if it's literally them 10 years from now when no one gives a gently caress about Die Antwood and all their wealth and fame are gone.

In that future, can Ninja act? Because he sure can't here, and he's everywhere in this movie. The lady also sucked, but she wasn't so aggressively annoying.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Putting Die Antwoord in the movie was the only interesting thing about it. That and the Masamune Shirow design for Chappie itself. :can:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

The movie hinges on you liking him.

Don't bring your father issues into movies with you.

(Chappie doesn't even like his dad, why do you think he emulates America?)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shageletic posted:

The movie hinges on you liking him. Hence the scene when the Robocop bot is about to gun him down being in slow mo, and him screaming at it taking forever to finish.

No it doesn't, and the scene you vaguely describe doesn't imply that. You are doing a poor job of criticizing the performances in the movie because you are deliberately ignoring performance: Ninja acts callously, abusively, and manipulatively throughout the film, carried to the tune of his own vainglorious songs about himself.

The plot of the film is that this character kidnaps, coerces, and trains a naive man-child into doing dirty work to help save his own skin. This unwittingly leads him into the path of the psychotic Hugh Jackman. There is not, at any point, any injunction upon you to like Ninja or respect his moral character, because Blomkamp treats this as irrelevant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Even thought I think South Africans are nicer people than just regular British people

are you loving kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Black Bones posted:

And on the opposite end, many of my South American friends were mystified when they moved to the US for grad school and discovered they weren't "white" here - except the guy who is a Japanese-Peruvian. Oscar Isaac is treated like a he's a Mexican migrant worker, but his mom was a second generation white French immigrant and his dad was a white Cuban doctor, and he was raised as a white evangelical in the US. The US has such an obsession with race and the purity of Whiteness that now all ethnic variation stops at the border, maps could just say "Here be Brown People" below the Rio Grande. I love this little bit from Isaac's wiki

Bryan Singer in Rolling Stone posted:

"Like the great movie stars, like Harrison Ford, like Tom Cruise. [...] There's something about Oscar that could be Egyptian, Asiatic, Latino or Caucasian. His facial structure embodies a global human."

Anyone who isn't close enough to the stereotypes of a given area is either unbelievable, or has to be made to fit. That a person could be white and Guatemalan, or black and Polish, or Japanese and Peruvian, is almost unthinkable. Of course a white Nordic Mexican who is also a poor factory worker is out of bounds, even in a movie about how those distinctions are arbitrary and can be changed at any time.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Groovelord Neato posted:

are you loving kidding

The South African family I knew were nice, but then I'm not Black.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Being a Jew is pretty weird. I'm white like 99% of the time but then at certain times and in certain places I'm not.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Being a Jew is pretty weird. I'm white like 99% of the time but then at certain times and in certain places I'm not.

You watch something like Gentlemen's Agreement and it's like, what the hell? but then you remember two years before that Jews were getting piled up in mass graves and burnt and some Americans were still like, It's Not Our Fight

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The South African family I knew were nice, but then I'm not Black.

Same.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Black Bones posted:

Wait, people complained about his name? I didn't even make the connection that it was a particularly "ethnic" name until you pointed it out, I just figured it was a dude's name. :shrug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shageletic posted:

In reality he's INCREDIBLY thin-skinned, a producer posted up a photo of him with Ninja on instagram and I commented on it saying "please don't work with this douche" and Ninja spent about 3 hours flipping out and tagging me in poo poo in a vain attempt to take the piss.

Dude is easily riled :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, people complained about his name? I didn't even make the connection that it was a particularly "ethnic" name until you pointed it out, I just figured it was a dude's name. :shrug:

Polish nerds are livid about about even the potential of someone that isn't white being Polish in a fantasy or sci-fi movie/video game/etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Polish nerds are livid about about even the potential of someone that isn't white being Polish in a fantasy or sci-fi movie/video game/etc.
Huh. I have honest to God never heard of people doing that, but at the same time part of me isn't surprised that that's a thing.

Maybe Janek's mother married a (white) Polish guy, hence his name?
I somehow feel like I'm giving this way more thought than it deserves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's honestly something I half-jokingly made up just now based on this and some idiotic drama about The Witcher 3 you can Google.

tldr: Witcher 3 is a universally beloved video game but like two people mentioned how in reviews of it how it was lame that it was a fantastical crazy magic monster hunting game with only white people in it but still loved the game and said it was the best written/made RPG they played in like ten years but they caught mega-hate. CD Projekt Red released like a statement implying the game was like a hyper accurate documentary level depiction of Polish mythology from a very specific historical point in time except for all the mish mashed fantasy fashion/culture/creatures/literally everything in it.

It's just stupid, like when The Lost World came out there were people angry about Malcom's daughter being black because and were demanding an explanation for it they didn't understand how that could be. Like who gives a gently caress. For poo poo set a hundred years in the future or in a totally made up fantasy land it's like quadruple who gives a gently caress.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

It's honestly something I half-jokingly made up just now based on this and some idiotic drama about The Witcher 3 you can Google.

tldr: Witcher 3 is a universally beloved video game but like two people mentioned how in reviews of it how it was lame that it was a fantastical crazy magic monster hunting game with only white people in it but still loved the game and said it was the best written/made RPG they played in like ten years but they caught mega-hate. CD Projekt Red released like a statement implying the game was like a hyper accurate documentary level depiction of Polish mythology from a very specific historical point in time except for all the mish mashed fantasy fashion/culture/creatures/literally everything in it.

It's just stupid, like when The Lost World came out there were people angry about Malcom's daughter being black because and were demanding an explanation for it they didn't understand how that could be. Like who gives a gently caress.

Man some of those sentences are bit hard to follow... I don't recall the letter from CDPR trying to defend their choice, but I did read the one where they owned up to it being a bad oversight and vowed to do better in the future. Some of the devs independently commented (on this forum) that, contrary to popular belief, Poland in the middle-ages was actually quite diverse. It was especially weird that everyone was so white, given that the narrative uses non-humans as analogies for discrimination and racial tension to a heavy extent.

To their credit, they made good on the promise from the letter I read by making a point of including characters of various ethnicities in subsequent patches and DLC.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah just to be clear I think CD Projekt Red and basically everyone I've ever known that's worked for them and everything they've ever made and done has turned out to be absolutely loving awesome. Just there was initial fan backlash that was absurd to me. Looking it up again now I see I did gently caress this up, apparently that backlash was caused when some other devs unrelated to CDPR took up the torch to "defend" CDPR via some point by point explanations of why making games with only white people is awesome even though CDPR was cool? Ugh.

To be more on topic has anyone seen the recent Covenant trailers in an actual theater? I've seen a few R/Unrated things recently and just realized how that it's kind of weird it didn't run before any of them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 8, 2017

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

To be more on topic has anyone seen the recent Covenant trailers in an actual theater? I've seen a few R/Unrated things recently and just realized how that it's kind of weird it didn't run before any of them.

Saw the red band this weekend in front of Logan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Witcher 3 has a long story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Paolomania posted:

Saw the red band this weekend in front of Logan.

I saw the first red band trailer in front of John Wick Chapter 2

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just stupid, like when The Lost World came out there were people angry about Malcom's daughter being black because and were demanding an explanation for it they didn't understand how that could be. Like who gives a gently caress. For poo poo set a hundred years in the future or in a totally made up fantasy land it's like quadruple who gives a gently caress.

Neo Rasa posted:

Sure sounds like you are the one livid that a polish developer didn't cater to american sensibilities.

am0kgonzo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 8, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I honestly could not parse which side neo rasa was on.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

am0kgonzo posted:

Sure sounds like you are the one livid that a polish developer didn't cater to american sensibilities.

Oh no, someone cares about minorities. How horrible.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

No it doesn't, and the scene you vaguely describe doesn't imply that. You are doing a poor job of criticizing the performances in the movie because you are deliberately ignoring performance: Ninja acts callously, abusively, and manipulatively throughout the film, carried to the tune of his own vainglorious songs about himself.

The plot of the film is that this character kidnaps, coerces, and trains a naive man-child into doing dirty work to help save his own skin. This unwittingly leads him into the path of the psychotic Hugh Jackman. There is not, at any point, any injunction upon you to like Ninja or respect his moral character, because Blomkamp treats this as irrelevant.

Then why spend so much of the running time focusing on his near dying (referencing the scene I mentioned above). The movie goes into slow-mo, the score rises, and Ninja spits defiance on an unbeatable opponent, with what I suppose was the uplifiting twist of actually surviving it.

Unappealing or unrepentingly callous characters are fine, that's great in movies like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or a Todd Solondz flick. But the creator needs to be able to step back and justify why they're spending so much time focusing on the character, either by commenting on, expounding on it, or at least making it entertaining for their audience.

The fact that Ninja is a straight out terrible actor that cannot effectively express his interior mind or do anything to leaven his one note performance also adds to my puzzlement with the director's obsession with him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shageletic posted:

Then why spend so much of the running time focusing on his near dying (referencing the scene I mentioned above). The movie goes into slow-mo, the score rises, and Ninja spits defiance on an unbeatable opponent, with what I suppose was the uplifiting twist of actually surviving it.

Unappealing or unrepentingly callous characters are fine, that's great in movies like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or a Todd Solondz flick. But the creator needs to be able to step back and justify why they're spending so much time focusing on the character, either by commenting on, expounding on it, or at least making it entertaining for their audience.

The fact that Ninja is a straight out terrible actor that cannot effectively express his interior mind or do anything to leaven his one note performance also adds to my puzzlement with the director's obsession with him.

The scene you are describing uses cinematography, editing, and score to portray Ninja's struggle as significant and dynamic. This is not the same thing as 'justification.' The filmmakers are not trying to get you to 'like Ninja' in the vague sense of respecting him as a conventional, sympathetic character. They are merely telling a story where one of the characters is, irrevocably, an obnoxious and amoral criminal.

The problem you are having is that you are very good at expressing displeasure with Jones/Ninja as a performer, and by extension Blomkamp's decision to build a sci-fi action/black comedy around this persona; but not very good at writing critically. The entertainment value of a film comes from how it's shot, edited, scored, the production design, action choreography, etc. The 'commentary' comes from you writing truthfully and accurately about the subject and how it is presented. There is no consistency in your displeasure, and nothing factual about Ninja's bad acting. You admit that it's "fine" for films to feature unconventional, unsympathetic, or amoral characters, but do not elaborate why this is bad in Chappie, or how the filmmakers would go about 'justifying' the film. By keeping these principles vague, you are let off the hook for failing to demonstrate that you actually noticed that Ninja (for example) abandons his adopted son in a misguided attempt to try to make him 'harder,' which leads to the naive man-child being symbolically raped in a van. The obscenity of what the film is presenting - and Ninja's ironic redemption from his own perspective - is not a failure to make you care or give you reason to engage. The medium is the message. Chappie is a scandalized coming-of-age story, where Ninja assumes the role of a deadbeat, abusive father. The predominating tone of the film is not one of sentimentalism or redemption, but of a constantly escalating black comic farce.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shageletic posted:

Be gangster with us chappie. I never thought that someone would someone would train a robot to become a punk outside of the 80s.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a very strong bias against white south africans and rank them lower than even australians, so that clouds my judgement of their robot movies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

A lovely Reporter posted:

Oh no, someone cares about minorities. How horrible.

To be fair, if you set a film in medieval England, you won't generally get too many complaints if everyone is white.

On the other hand, this is fantasy Poland so maybe a fantasy Moor can show up or something :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

guys i really like the film "aliens" and am watching it now in memory of my boy bill "pullman" paxton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

To be fair, if you set a film in medieval England, you won't generally get too many complaints if everyone is white.

On the other hand, this is fantasy Poland so maybe a fantasy Moor can show up or something :shrug:

This is actually something that's been brought up before but: for some reason it only becomes a complaint when it involves skin color. There's an infamous response to the Witcher 3 thing where it's pointed out nobody gave a poo poo that potatoes frequently show up despite potatoes being basically unheard of at the time in Poland, and it continues that way. You can have magical katanas or implausibly crafted armor that would require metal working that doesn't exist for centuries but the 'historical accuracy' thing only shows up when it involves having women or a black guy or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The scene you are describing uses cinematography, editing, and score to portray Ninja's struggle as significant and dynamic. This is not the same thing as 'justification.' The filmmakers are not trying to get you to 'like Ninja' in the vague sense of respecting him as a conventional, sympathetic character. They are merely telling a story where one of the characters is, irrevocably, an obnoxious and amoral criminal.

The problem you are having is that you are very good at expressing displeasure with Jones/Ninja as a performer, and by extension Blomkamp's decision to build a sci-fi action/black comedy around this persona; but not very good at writing critically. The entertainment value of a film comes from how it's shot, edited, scored, the production design, action choreography, etc. The 'commentary' comes from you writing truthfully and accurately about the subject and how it is presented. There is no consistency in your displeasure, and nothing factual about Ninja's bad acting. You admit that it's "fine" for films to feature unconventional, unsympathetic, or amoral characters, but do not elaborate why this is bad in Chappie, or how the filmmakers would go about 'justifying' the film. By keeping these principles vague, you are let off the hook for failing to demonstrate that you actually noticed that Ninja (for example) abandons his adopted son in a misguided attempt to try to make him 'harder,' which leads to the naive man-child being symbolically raped in a van. The obscenity of what the film is presenting - and Ninja's ironic redemption from his own perspective - is not a failure to make you care or give you reason to engage. The medium is the message. Chappie is a scandalized coming-of-age story, where Ninja assumes the role of a deadbeat, abusive father. The predominating tone of the film is not one of sentimentalism or redemption, but of a constantly escalating black comic farce.

Yeah, going to that beaten horse rhetorical device of criticising the critic, not his opinion, is really helping your argument.

Ninja's actions didn't make sense from a character motivation standpoint in re to having him be beat and almost killed (if his motivation is "heist"), but more importantly it goes to the point I was trying to make earlier.

If you look at any movie that is done well with unsympathetic characters, what is done well is the tone of the piece and how well is it executed. Springbreakers is a true example of black comic farce, an escalating series of events brought about by unthinking loutish characters that build to a cresendo of unfortunate events demanded by consequence and the author's wry vision.

I honestly, truly, completely believe that Blomkampf identifies with Ninja on account of the entirely sincere and uncomplex way the movie treats his character, the reams of dialogue (terribly delivered by a totally uncharismatic and sometimes unintelligeble performer, I honestly thought his friend driving the van was much more sympathetic and interesting, probably due to being performed by an actual actor) given him, his character arc (the second most significant in the movie), the loss we are supposed to take seriously, as he focuses on his dead love with all the anguish and agony of finding out someone deleted his save file.

You can talk about farce all you want, but the only one found in this movie is the director failing to create anything interesting with the character, which is a huge problem with the movie when most of its events hinge on the things Ninja does or says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these marines are cool and appear armed to the teeth...i hope nothing bad happens when they make this routine check up on the colony.