Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:suicide:

I keep on forgetting Cousins was a 4th round pick, not a 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Getting a billion texts from people that Kenny Britt is in Atlantic City and is bragging about signing with the Eagles. So, cool. I guess.

— Smitty (@SmittyBarstool) March 7, 2017

If so, smart pickup. I like it. Doubt he costed that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NTfJNohuk

He burns both Sherman and the Broncos secondary for TDs in that video

89 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 8, 2017

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He's going to be terrible.

In a year with a ton of really talented WRs on the market, we loving sign an over the hill gently caress with a troubled past.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Diqnol posted:

In a year with a ton of really talented WRs on the market, we loving sign an over the hill gently caress with a troubled past.

I think this is a good signing if true. He's probably cheap, and this signals to me that they are likely going WR with #14, and Britt is the "veteran presence"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

aBagorn posted:

I think this is a good signing if true. He's probably cheap, and this signals to me that they are likely going WR with #14, and Britt is the "veteran presence"

It seems like Kenny Britt isn't the guy you want mentoring your young receivers.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I doubt he costed much

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
^Yeah that's the biggest point.

I doubt this is all Howie is doing. I could still see a trade for Cooks or, like I mentioned before, drafting one of WIlliams/Davis/Ross.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

It seems like Kenny Britt isn't the guy you want mentoring your young receivers.

Right. He's the guy you throw in there as a piece to round out an existing squad or as a hail mary. Eagles aren't in a position for either. This is a boneheaded move unless they're signing another guy with him. Drafting a WR isn't an answer for the next couple of years, we need a signing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
When you're happy about signing Kenny Britt you know your WR situation is hosed up

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Diqnol posted:

Drafting a WR isn't an answer

It is when you're not close. Drafting a rookie wideout for you 2nd year QB seems like a prudent growth strategy, rounding it out with a vet on the cheap.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Febreeze posted:

When you're happy about signing Kenny Britt you know your WR situation is hosed up

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

If 28 is over the hill, it seems that most of the available receivers are over the hill fucks with a troubled past, eg Pryor, Jackson, Jeffrey, Garcon...

I guess you wanted Kenny Stills?

aBagorn posted:

It is when you're not close. Drafting a rookie wideout for you 2nd year QB seems like a prudent growth strategy, rounding it out with a vet on the cheap.

But the Eagles are close.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't really pay much attention to football any more so I just want to know what the hell is going on with Washington? Apparently McCloughan isn't even with the team now and they are going to lose Garçon and Jackson and maybe trade Cousins to SF? Is any of this true or likely true?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Probably all of the above. Embrace entropy.

I'm fine with moving on from Kirk Cousins but I'm probably in the minority.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mind_Taker posted:

I don't really pay much attention to football any more so I just want to know what the hell is going on with Washington? Apparently McCloughan isn't even with the team now and they are going to lose Garçon and Jackson and maybe trade Cousins to SF? Is any of this true or likely true?

The rumor is that McCloughan is drinking again (he's really blown up in various pics) and is likely going to be canned after the draft. Maybe he stays on in a "reduced role" for draft scouting (which is what he did with his own company before he became GM) but who knows at this point. No surprise that working for Snyder made someone drink. Garcon and Jackson are both expected to sign elsewhere. Garcon because he doesn't want to be here (supposedly he requested a trade last season) and Jackson because he wants to get paid. Cousins got tagged so he'll be playing for someone this year, but a lot of "insiders" are saying that Washington is working on a trade with San Francisco and that it's basically a done deal. Meanwhile Gruden gets a two year extension in what appears to be a blatant attempt to distract people from the FO shitshow and also ensure potential FAs that Washington is not a complete disaster (it is).

Cash Monet posted:

Moving on from Kirk to who?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Moving on from Kirk to who?

He'd rather the team wander around for a few years hoping to find another franchise QB to ruin than just sign the pretty good QB they currently have at a market rate. Truly, a Washington fan

NotWearingPants posted:

lol

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

No. They really aren't

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wow the Eagles loving suck and are idiots

e: assumed this had already been posted

https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/839483606867263488

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I hope we got him for cheap, a good move for Eli's final seasons if he can still ball.

We needed a tall powerful dude on the outside really bad

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cash Monet posted:

Probably all of the above. Embrace entropy.

I'd think you would be in the majority here. Cousins makes the Redskins better now, so other NFC East fans would be happy to see him gone (especially Eagles fans) , but here's no future there so I'd think most Redskins fan would be happy with starting over.

There were plenty of Eagles fans that bitched about trading Sam Bradford well into the season. There are always going to be fans who fail to see the big picture.

aBagorn posted:

No. They really aren't

They have a good defense and a quarterback. Of course they are close. They have a few holes to fill, but there is a lot of talent on their roster.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 8, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

indigi posted:

But but we got Kenny Britt!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

indigi posted:

drat, that's a really good signing

NotWearingPants posted:

I'd think you would be in the majority here. Cousins makes the Redskins better now, so other NFC East fans would be happy to see him gone (especially Eagles fans) , but here's no future there so I'd think most Redskins fan would be.happy with starting over.

There were plenty of Eagles fans that bitched about trading Sam Bradford well into the season. There are always going to be fans who fail to see the big picture.

the only reason there's no future with Cousins is because Washington botched the loving situation. If you think a team can't make a strong run with a 28 year-old guy who's coming off back-to-back 4k yard, 97+ passer rating seasons, then maybe it's not other fans who "fail to see the big picture"

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

the only reason there's no future with Cousins is because Washington botched the loving situation. If you think a team can't make a strong run with a 28 year-old guy who's coming off back-to-back 4k yard, 97+ passer rating seasons, then maybe it's not other fans who "fail to see the big picture"

Yes, they botched the situation. You could have stopped there. The situation is already botched.

a new study bible! posted:

But but we got Kenny Britt!

Still a rumor at this point.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

He'd rather the team wander around for a few years hoping to find another franchise QB to ruin than just sign the pretty good QB they currently have at a market rate. Truly, a Washington fan

"Market rate" means burning a hole in the cap and hoping an average/above average QB elevates the team. You become what the Bears have been.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Yes, they botched the situation. You could have stopped there. The situation is already botched.

It's not clear whether you think it's a bad idea to keep him (it seems like you think jettisoning him is a good idea for Washington, though). I don't think the situation is unsalvageable, just costly. Washington is going to have to pay for a good QB one way or another, either in dollars now, or in several years of searching.

Cash Monet posted:

"Market rate" means burning a hole in the cap and hoping an average/above average QB elevates the team. You become what the Bears have been.

The Patriots have been paying market rate on a QB for over a decade. So have the Steelers, Giants, and Saints. The Packers and Seahawks also also pay market value on QBs, and Denver paid market value on Manning. Every one of these teams has been more successful than Washington.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 8, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Those teams are paying for QBs that are better than Kirk Cousins by a good margin. You wouldn't be giving an extension to Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck, Cousins is in the Andy Dalton/Jay Cutler tier.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 8, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

Those teams are paying for QBs that are better than Kirk Cousins by a good margin. You're not extending Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck.

lol what

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not clear whether you think it's a bad idea to keep him (it seems like you think jettisoning him is a good idea for Washington, though). I don't think the situation is unsalvageable, just costly. Washington is going to have to pay for a good QB one way or another, either in dollars now, or in several years of searching.

The Patriots have been paying market rate on a QB for over a decade. So have the Steelers, Giants, and Saints. The Packers and Seahawks also also pay market value on QBs, and Denver paid market value on Manning. Every one of these teams has been more successful than Washington.

Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Cousins.

One of these things is not like the others.

C'mon, you're just being dumb to be argumentative.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning, Cousins.

One of these things is not like the others.

C'mon, you're just being dumb to be argumentative.

No, I'm pointing out that you can pay market value for a QB and still be successful. And to that point, Cash Monet also clearly thinks that Wilson isn't markedly better than Cousins, e.g. "not worth extending." Also no, I don't think Eli Manning is some great improvement over Kirk Cousins, given that he's had a worse passer rating both years and thrown more INTs on fewer attempts.

I could just as easily have included Stafford, Romo, Luck, Rivers, and Palmer in there--these teams haven't won Super Bowls, but the reason they aren't successful isn't "because a market value QB is eating up all of their valuable cap space." They're all in better places than Washington would be without Cousins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

No, I'm pointing out that you can pay market value for a QB and still be successful. And to that point, Cash Monet also clearly thinks that Wilson isn't markedly better than Cousins, e.g. "not worth extending."

I think you're reading him wrong, he's saying extending Cousins isn't the no brainer extending those other guys is? Maybe.

I tend to disagree, although the situation may not be salvageable at this point. And if it isn't they need to get whatever they can for him.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I was all for making GBS threads on Cousins last season, but he was definitely good and way better than anything else the Skins can do, other than signing Romo.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I think you're reading him wrong, he's saying extending Cousins isn't the no brainer extending those other guys is? Maybe.

This. I worded it a little awkwardly.

Wilson and Luck aren't Aaron Rodgers but they're good and have shown they can elevate talent around them. You're not getting that with Kirk Cousins and if you're going to make him one of the highest paid players in the league that shouldn't be a tall order.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It doesn't really matter what TheChirurgeon or I think about the wisdom of extending Cousins. The Redskins have decided for two years now that they don't want to extend him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Cash Monet posted:

Wilson and Luck aren't Aaron Rodgers but they're good and have shown they can elevate talent around them. You're not getting that with Kirk Cousins and if you're going to make him one of the highest paid players in the league that shouldn't be a tall order.

That is what competent QB play costs and you have tagged him twice, he knows what he is worth to that team. Just pay him.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

Fair enough--the wording def threw me. That said, I still disagree here--I think Wilson is better than Cousins, but Cousins can easily play at the level of Andrew Luck or Eli Manning. And the bottom line is that Cousins is more than good enough to get a team to a Super Bowl and when you've got that, you don't just let it walk for a chance to find yet another 4th-round prospect who will develop into a franchise QB.

QB is like the one position where it's worth it to bit the bullet and just pay market value (or slightly higher), because if you don't have good QB play, you're basically hosed.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Unless a team is in a unique situation where they have a top QB they can't sign or are in a position to immediately compete for a Super Bowl, it appears to me that it would be generally advantageous for a team to either extend a quarterback or to cut ties.

If the Redskins had extended Cousins last year, they would have most likely paid less for his services last season and this season. And they would have something of value: a signed Kirk Cousins. He's at least as good as Sam Bradford (better in my opinion) and a signed Sam Bradford was worth a 1st round pick last season. Perhaps that trade was due to extraordinary circumstances, but a signed Kirk Cousins is at least an asset that has value.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 8, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

aBagorn posted:

No. They really aren't

This. They need 2 CBs, upgrades at RB, a LT of the future and a bunch of wide outs. Obviously that's not going to all get addressed this offseason but, well, I guess that's the point. I don't think they'll compete seriously for the playoffs until at least 2018.

I don't mind the Britt signing if he's cheap and is going to be the #2, but I hope they don't use their 1st-rounder on a receiver this year when there are so many good options available outside of the draft and so many other needs. If it turns out they draft a perennial All-Pro pass catch man I'll gladly eat my words though.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

This. They need 2 CBs, upgrades at RB, a LT of the future and a bunch of wide outs. Obviously that's not going to all get addressed this offseason but, well, I guess that's the point. I don't think they'll compete seriously for the playoffs until at least 2018.

If I may point out a minor issue with your logic: They have an LT now, but you point that out as a problem for the future while also saying they could compete in 2018. Well, 2018 is probably when they need to replace a tackle, so that issue gets worse in 2018, not better. (Also, they most likely already have their LT of the future on the roster in Lane Johnson. The hole probably be at RT.)

Moving on... Fortunately for the Eagles, this draft is very deep in both CBs and RBs!

They address WR in Free Agency, draft CBs and an RB, and everything's coming up Eagles!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Frankly I'm a little surprised at the pessimism. The offseason starts today! This is our time, the time when the Eagles shine! We've got six months of bliss ahead of us until the regular season and reality sets in.

mood:

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Am I alone in still wanting to draft a wr at 14 if Davis or Williams are still on the board ?

• Locked thread