Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Judging by its regular posters, this thread should be on Stormfront. I mean, did you read the bit about Spaceship Troopers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

poty posted:

Judging by its regular posters, this thread should be on Stormfront. I mean, did you read the bit about Spaceship Troopers

I mean, it is the Worst Thread...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Williams probably has the best car of the grid... if only they had used the money somebody mysteriously paid for Bottas on someone with WDC-potential like Palmer they would have an honest chance

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It must help having the guy who designed the works car, designing your car.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think we've pretty much established Massa as this years MWDC, correct?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Khablam posted:

Honda are brute-forcing creation of the most reliable F1 engine, by finding every failure condition possible ahead of time.
You jest but that's pretty much how it works and Mercedes are evidently the best at it. Merc had their first new-era engine on a dyno two years before it's debut then ramped up to keeping the dynos busy 24/7. They're highly advanced transient dynos that let them accurately simulate grand prix weekends using telemetry from previous races, to capture every throttle change and the forces put through the axels. Every engine that failed to survive the required multi-race simulation will have been striped down to find out why the part failed. Those that survived were probably striped down too to check if it was about to fail. Mercedes Brixworth have probably built thousands of engines, tested many of them to destruction, then scraped all of them for metal recycling.

One of Honda's problems is they're probably not tested enough engines to destruction in the controlled environment of the dyno. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if in 2016, Mercedes still put more miles on dynos than Honda did.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4167 days

That must have been one heck of a Rivals.com pun

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pablo, there were rumours that Honda were still using the out of date even then dyno they had in 2007 to develop the new engine .

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RIP Matt at last.

Also:

This is kinda sexy in the right conditions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Pablo, there were rumours that Honda were still using the out of date even then dyno they had in 2007 to develop the new engine .
As late as October in 2014 Honda were talking in a way that made dyno testing sound like a recent progress. They took too long to get to the point of building and testing engines, and nothing has made me think they've matched or overtaken Mercedes' dyno programme.
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116104/

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I am very much enjoying the look of the fat rear tyres

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I honestly think that this thread doesn't belong in sports argument Stadium. More like fyad or GBS

Absolutely not joking. You follow Formula 1 by shitposting about drivers and teams you don't like and massive hyperbole about ones that you do. Not by discussing the relative merits and techniques of the athletes. These so-called moderators just don't get it, man.

Its a culture that has grown here over many years. Many times, probably 3 or 4, I've come in here and posted a bit and then gone away when the sheer shitposting diarrhea overcame me. When I first came I made some big effort post about Ferrari without realizing I was basically addressing a bunch of Brits and was told to gently caress off.

F1 is some opaque poo poo. Even mid season youre hearing the same old poo poo, you have no real idea what they're doing with the cars and the driving is so niche that there is almost no relation to what you do with a normal car. Being an F1 fan is pretty much making sweeping generalizations from your experience, perhaps referencing some long gone event, then butting heads with another fan whose generalizations are at odds with yours. There isn't so much actual technical debate and my gf who now loves F1 after exposing her over the last couple of years usually makes better predictions than I do, just because I've got old and crazy ideas like the red cars might actually do well.

I bought some Ferrari shoes to drive in. They fell apart quickly. My gf looked at them and loled and said 'just like a real Ferrari! Overpriced and falls apart!'. I cried a little inside while I forced a laugh at her joke.

edit: she also thinks the red livery is classically obnoxiously Italian. I love her but sometimes it's hard.

edit2: so the point is jesus gently caress Ferrari can you please pull goddamn finger out. It a daily struggle fighting for the tifosi

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 7, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Its a culture that has grown here over many years. Many times, probably 3 or 4, I've come in here and posted a bit and then gone away when the sheer shitposting diarrhea overcame me. When I first came I made some big effort post about Ferrari without realizing I was basically addressing a bunch of Brits and was told to gently caress off.

F1 is some opaque poo poo. Even mid season youre hearing the same old poo poo, you have no real idea what they're doing with the cars and the driving is so niche that there is almost no relation to what you do with a normal car. Being an F1 fan is pretty much making sweeping generalizations from your experience, perhaps referencing some long gone event, then butting heads with another fan whose generalizations are at odds with yours. There isn't so much actual technical debate and my gf who now loves F1 after exposing her over the last couple of years usually makes better predictions than I do, just because I've got old and crazy ideas like the red cars might actually do well.

I bought some Ferrari shoes to drive in. They fell apart quickly. My gf looked at them and loled and said 'just like a real Ferrari! Overpriced and falls apart!'. I cried a little inside while I forced a laugh at her joke.

edit: she also thinks the red livery is classically obnoxiously Italian. I love her but sometimes it's hard.

edit2: so the point is jesus gently caress Ferrari can you please pull goddamn finger out. It a daily struggle fighting for the tifosi

Lewis thinks there is hope for you
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-ferrari-not-mercedes-is-current-f1-2017-favourite-880410/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lewis, please just stop trolling me

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This thread is about the least Brit dominated F1 discussion on the internet, there's like 3 of us. It's also just about Lewis fan free . I'm sorry your girlfriend is too good for you, and I hope your fatal Ferraritis doesn't cause you too much distress.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, nah it's all good in here at the moment. This is the longest I've stayed. I'm enjoying it so far.

I've just lurked the thread sometimes because there is still consistently good posting about the sport.

Hey, there is national rivalry in our sport. It's because it's the true World Drivers Championship and not some inflated national series (NASCAR/Indy/Supercars.. WHATEVER).

Lewis is also a loving spectacular driver and on track one of my favorites, but I can't reconcile that anywhere else.

edit: Liberty Media is also good if it just gets more Americans into it. Haas is great for the same reason. F1 is great but it's a little hollow when we don't have great American teams and drivers.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 8, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every loudly and commonly anti-ferrari poster I can point to ITT is American FYI.
They're just a shitshow and it doesn't take bias to go "yep, completely random strategy at odds with any sense of the rest of the field hasn't played out THIS time, but maybe we'll RNG the laps we pit on and one time it'll work".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
America, is, not coincidentally, fascist.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Umm I'm amarican and like Ferrari so gently caress off with all that noise

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The new cars look really great on track, I just hope the racing is good in a few weeks.

Nice to see Massa up top today, MWDC indeed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was much better when we used to pass the off-season by posting photos of a really large lamp.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The one day I walk into the thread, and everyone else is probated. Feels good.

Holy poo poo Mat ate a 100,000 hour probation. What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The one day I walk into the thread, and everyone else is probated. Feels good.

Holy poo poo Mat ate a 100,000 hour probation. What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Apparently I got my birthday present early.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I am a british and I don't care what car wins, think I want either Massa or Alonso to do well this year. Possibly because I'm old and gently caress young people.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mat went into a Trump thread and started talking. It's not the wisest thing to do at the moment. The mods are people too.

I've already eaten a probation for it. Just stay in here and someone show me that drat lamp

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Lewis, please just stop trolling me

Who is this Lewis guy? His name sounds suspiciously similar to this whiny F1 driver I know.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Tony Montana posted:

Mat went into a Trump thread and started talking. It's not the wisest thing to do at the moment. The mods are people too.

I've already eaten a probation for it. Just stay in here and someone show me that drat lamp

I am desperately trying to find the giant lamp series of pics in Google and having no luck :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

BubbaGrace posted:

Who is this Lewis guy?

Poois

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Serious question: is anyone itt still a Hamilton fan?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a weird love/hate thing for Hamilton, mainly due to him completely shedding that McLaren good boy image

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I am not a racist so I must be

?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not a fan, but I don't have the seething hatred many people in this thread seem to have.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I love Lewis.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I'm a fan of Lewis the driver. It stops there, every single other thing he does and says makes me want to knife him. But as an F1 fan and a fan of the sport, that personal poo poo shouldn't prevent me from appreciating the fact he has pulled some pretty amazing poo poo while I've been watching, multiple times.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

His on-the-track performance is great, and he earned my respect for trying to back Nico out of the WDC in the last race.
He's completely insufferable as a personality though, and is so loud with it that even if I wanted to ignore it I couldn't.

Plenty of decent blokes on the grid to actually root for instead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

poty posted:

Finally somebody is cleaning up the thread... hopefully they can take care of Tony Montana and the other posters with offensive prejudices against Britain... I sure am reporting them often enough

Bernie is the only reason F1 is relevant and independent... without him it would be dead like WRC or even worse, alive and catering to the worst people in the world, like MotoGP.

The problem isn't Bernie. The problem is Bernie stuck around longer than he should have and just started stagnating the product of his efforts.

See: Arsenal, Wenger

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tony Montana posted:

M
edit: Liberty Media is also good if it just gets more Americans into it. Haas is great for the same reason. F1 is great but it's a little hollow when we don't have great American teams and drivers.

This is objectively a bad thing. American engineers and drivers sure but American fans are the death knell of any sport in the world.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ukle posted:

He wrote the movie without even knowing about Starship Troopers, he just wanted to make a movie taking the piss out of fascism. It was a friend of his who read the script and then said that this is a lot like Starship Troopers, just not taking the piss instead worshipping fascism - so he bought the rights to Starship Troopers and just slapped its name on it.

Cool story, bro, but that's not how it works.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Lewis is one hell of a driver and also one hell of an obnoxious baby. Agreed with Khablam that there are plenty of non-obnoxious people to support on the grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Lewis is one hell of a driver and also one hell of an obnoxious baby. Agreed with Khablam that there are plenty of non-obnoxious people to support on the grid.

Like mad max. such a good lad, he gave up his seat in first class because it was double booked and sat by the toilet in coach and didn't give a gently caress.

He's a good boy and a good driver.

• Locked thread