Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hindus: Nepal, Ceylon, Guyana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

Well first you'd need all those countries to change their official English (and Spanish, and Hindi, and whatever) names. The Czechs can't even get people to call it Czechia instead of the Czech Republic after like a year, so good luck with that happening and getting respected.

Well, which one is it?

Those are all the same religion, though.

There’s a difference between state religion and state church.

The U.S. has neither.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Temaukel posted:

"Modern civilizations"

South America is always the funniest part of that for me. They're quite obviously Western, but they just happen to be slightly poor.

A Spaniard has far more in common culturally with an Argentinian that a Finnish person.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Papua New Guinea is Western, then there's no reason Latin America should be anything other than Western.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Blut posted:

South America is always the funniest part of that for me. They're quite obviously Western, but they just happen to be slightly poor.

A Spaniard has far more in common culturally with an Argentinian that a Finnish person.

Thanks God we made up "Latin America" to make sure everyone knows they aren't part of real America.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cebrail posted:

Thanks God we made up "Latin America" to make sure everyone knows they aren't part of real America.

that was actually the french

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 8, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Greece: not part of Western Civilization
A good map.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just learned that last year, and now I'm not sure Albania is a nation on earth so much as it's an exclave of some planet orbiting Proxima Centauri. Doesn't help that the first Albanian monarch was kind of a weirdo.

Also, whoever suggested The Great War: I second this.

root beer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 8, 2017

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
They do have to make room for Paupa New Guinea, noted center of western civilization.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fishmech posted:

Well, which one is it?

Why is one of the categories just called protestant while all the other flavours of Protestantism have their own category?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why is one of the categories just called protestant while all the other flavours of Protestantism have their own category?

Those stats are based on self-identification, and some people don't identify as a specific Protestant denomination, just "Protestant."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FreudianSlippers posted:

Because the people who answered just protestant don't really know what sect their local megachurch is part of, or don't even go to church at all but consider themselves vaguely christian and definitely not Catholic

Platystemon posted:

Those are all the same religion, though.

There’s a difference between state religion and state church.

The U.S. has neither.

I'm pretty sure "No Religion" isn't part of Christianity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure "No Religion" isn't part of Christianity.

Which has a plurality in a few states if you count Christian denominations separately, but not if they are counted collectively as the same religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(state)#Religion

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Blut posted:

Fixed the map for you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kennel posted:

Fixed the map for you.

Needs Italy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

Which has a plurality in a few states if you count Christian denominations separately, but not if they are counted collectively as the same religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(state)#Religion

You should be counting any denomination separately whose progenitors killed at least 500,000 other Europeans over a religious war between the 95 theses and 1900.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Most of Western Hemisphere: Not part of Western Civilization.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, the Religious Right as a movement has blurred a lot of previously very strong sectarian political lines. If nothing else, it caused a schism in Catholics. Now you've got some Old Rite strongholds (At this point basically Boston and Chicago -- the other Catholic Urban centers have pretty much all fallen) but plenty of Religious Right movements in every loving suburb everywhere, where "Catholic" is basically just a more ritualized form of Protestant Prosperity Gospel. Along with some retreatist hypermutations that also vote R, such as Opus Dei and other ultra-conservative (in terms of the Church if not necessarily politics) movements.

There is a very strong correlation between how often you attend religious services and how you vote. The more services you attend in a year, the more likely you are to vote Republican. African-Americans are a notable exception to this rule for historical reasons. As are Muslims. Holy poo poo Muslims. Even if you included Nation of Islam, American Muslims were majority Republican. Without NoI, it was over 90%. Then 9/11 happened and nowadays Muslim support for Republicans is in the single digits. Latin@s are murkier (I'm open to data!) because they are a population that is difficult to meaningfully poll.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

fishmech posted:

You should be counting any denomination separately whose progenitors killed at least 500,000 other Europeans over a religious war between the 95 theses and 1900.

Given the fuzzy feelings between even Evangelical American Protestants and Catholics nowadays, I don't see why though. Conservatives of both groups consider secularists "the enemy," not each other.

Edit: As the above poster mentions, the division is largely between conservative and more liberal adherants of both Catholics and Protestant groups. IMO religion is getting increasingly politicized in the US, but it cuts across sectarian lines.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

That’s like saying that the Irish can’t be white because “No Irish Need Apply” used to be a thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Senor Dog posted:

Hindus: Nepal, Ceylon, Guyana?

Map dumb, but there is a huge Hindu minority in Sri Lanka.

You may have heard of one of their advocacy groups. :v:

Edit: heck let's go all the way and call Buddhism a Hindu sect

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

That’s like saying that the Irish can’t be white because “No Irish Need Apply” used to be a thing.

Nah, not so long as European state religions remain specific sects for reasons dating back to idiots who never bathed or used forks dying in fields over it.

If a language is a dialect with an army, than a religion is a cult that used to have an army. :colbert:

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Map dumb, but there is a huge Hindu minority in Sri Lanka.

You may have heard of one of their advocacy groups. :v:

Edit: heck let's go all the way and call Buddhism a Hindu sect

I know so many Hindus who argue that.

None of them ever go to temple and all of them ended up having romantic marriages to non-Indian people.

But "Buddhism is a sect of Hinduism" is very important to them.

Actual Hindus don't give a gently caress and don't believe that for various reasons both theological and political.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Whats going on with Guyana and Surime in South American? Also not sure if Haiti should be in the Latin American group.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Going to derail from a couple pages back, but can anyone explain the whole thing about being angry at Jews for killing Christ to me? Even if we accept the premise... wasn't Jesus' entire purpose to be martyred to redeem mankind? Him being killed so he can be resurrected is the point of the religion. If Jewish people had him killed, then didn't they play a key role in bringing about salvation? It doesn't make any sense. I guess that's religion.txt but I am really curious if there's an explanation why that became an attack on Jews.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Communist Zombie posted:

Whats going on with Guyana and Surime in South American? Also not sure if Haiti should be in the Latin American group.

lots and lots of indian immigrants

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Grand Fromage posted:

Going to derail from a couple pages back, but can anyone explain the whole thing about being angry at Jews for killing Christ to me? Even if we accept the premise... wasn't Jesus' entire purpose to be martyred to redeem mankind? Him being killed so he can be resurrected is the point of the religion. If Jewish people had him killed, then didn't they play a key role in bringing about salvation? It doesn't make any sense. I guess that's religion.txt but I am really curious if there's an explanation why that became an attack on Jews.

They did it because Jesus was a heretic and still won't accept him as their savior so gently caress them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Can you imagine how awesome Jesus would be if Jesus hadn't been killed by the perfidious Jew?

Like, we'd already be in Heaven or something.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Grand Fromage posted:

Jews are "the other" that is all

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What syphilis was called before it was called syphilis

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

cebrail posted:

I mean, there are contexts in which labels like "Latin America" can be useful for distinguishing countries that have certain aspects in common with each other, and moreso than they do with others. When talking about 19th century liberation movements, for example, or US foreign policy, a word for all the former colonies of Spain and Portugal in the Americas can be meaningful. The dumb thing about these maps is turning such a context-specific label into some sort of vaguely defined essential quality like "civilization". It's like race in a lot of ways; there are useful social reasons for discussing things in terms of race, but trying to apply those terms outside their limited contexts and, say, make generalizations about biology of races is stupid.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pakled posted:

I am totally calling it GRANDGORE every time I diagnose someone with syphilis from now on.

Also North Korea has no data lol

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Pakled posted:

Pass-the-blame.png

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fishmech posted:

Well, which one is it?
The Church of Mammon.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Temaukel posted:

"Modern civilizations"

French Guyana: part "western", part "african". Guyana and Suriname: "hindu" and "african". Albania: purely "islamic".

Also, Cyprus sank beneath the waves.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

French Guyana: part "western", part "african". Guyana and Suriname: "hindu" and "african". Albania: purely "islamic".

Also, Cyprus sank beneath the waves.

Along with the Falklands, The Maldives, Svalbard, Bermuda, all of Oceania, and the proud island of St Helena

Something tells me they hate islands

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only non-religious lakes are the (North American) Great Lakes and the Caspian Sea.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was this pre-9/11 strain of American conservatism where supposedly all the various overly-religious people were going to come together and love politicians who only want tax cuts for the rich. Like devout Muslim immigrant doctors and churchgoing Hispanic blue collar construction workers were going to be gathered under this umbrella, and goofy inoffensive George W. Bush was going to be their avatar.

Didn't work out.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Temaukel posted:

"Modern civilizations"

Has anyone pointed out Islamic civilisation Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

So, just Lutheran and Catholic on the map you posted. Maybe Methodism if you count it as part of a general Reformed tradition (even though they are Arminian), but I doubt they got a 500K kill count.

Baptists and especially Mormons would have been burned at the stake by Catholics and magisterial Protestants alike in the sixteenth century.