Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I wish Velt and Lottie had been the actual mains instead.

I don't, Chitose is one of my favorite originals. Her plot is fairly there but she's really fun in terms of personality and character.

Maybe I'll like Souji when I get around to his route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Souji's kinda lame. Not up to Chitose's standard.

But that's because she sets the standard so high.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm honestly hard pressed to think of a single moment where Chitose stood out as a character for me. Almost everything good about the OG interactions comes from Nine, which is not too surprising as Nine gets way more dialogue and development as a character regardless of protagonist choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

her calling seabook a weeaboo

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Endorph posted:

i don't, chitose is cool

she's very cool and nice, and it owns

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
My biggest regret is that there's a "Complete both male and female protagonist stories" trophy, because it means I have to play as not-Chitose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hunter Noventa posted:

I know there are Ex Exbein and Li Brasta kits out there.

is there an SD kit called the Lil' Brasta?

please say yes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Chitose is excellent, but Lotte is also excellent. Velt is good. I have very few opinions about Souji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

souji is like dollar store crowe and it'd be nice to have a male protag who was neither a flirt nor had a girlfriend fall into his subpilot slot randomly

someone more like sanger would be cool to have again is what im saying

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KoB posted:

I was way behind on the Gunpla thread and only just learned theyre doing a model kit of the Raftclans. :allears::allears::allears:

Unfortunately it's Koto and therefore is gonna be basically plastic dust, mold stress marks, and grease loosely packed into something vaguely Raftclans shaped. :negative:

I don't know how Bandai managed to gently caress up and not get the kit licenses for SRW Originals. Anything but the sub-HG Koto stuff would be better.

ImpAtom posted:

That is correct. Full Armor ZZ, not FAZZ.

FAZZ is the most annoying unit to exist because of exactly that.

On the other hand...

:swoon:

(Paint anything light grey, white, and that shade of blue and make it big and bulky and I will love it. Pretty much no exceptions.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I like her character so far but her outfit is god awful. I renamed her and all of course but that outfit is just FF 10 and 12 levels of stupid in all aspects. Fan servicey and ridiculous.

But I mean they have made lots of SRW kits. I even have the big rear end Alteisen which was like 500 goddamned parts or something. I've got it sitting next to THE HEADMASTER PARTY WAGON waiting for a dusting and fixing the head which has led crap in it to annoy me like it's some kind of 1/60 Wing Zero or something..

I can hope a cool black robot with tons of guns n missiles gets a kit can't i? Especially if this one sells well given now more than just one island nation with a low birthrate can actually read and play it effectively. (And why I bought a PS4. Bloodborne and Until Dawn were other must gets. Physical copies of PC games that would otherwise be digital only is another kickass bonus.)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I like Velt and Lottie more than the actual protagonists if I'm being honest. I'd slap Lottie into the VanGrey the moment I could if game allowed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I'm honestly hard pressed to think of a single moment where Chitose stood out as a character for me. Almost everything good about the OG interactions comes from Nine, which is not too surprising as Nine gets way more dialogue and development as a character regardless of protagonist choice.

Aside from that:
Chitose is cool because she is forthright and honest without being unreasonably so. She is just determined and unfaltering and isn't the secret scion of an ancient race or anything. She's just a go-getter who is determined to have a good outcome and has really fun interactions with people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that chitose is a good person without being unreasonably so. she has a grudge against the yamato aliens, she gets mad at people. she's still honest and believes people are inherently good, but she has human flaws and human tipping points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also one complaint is that the stuff with rosalie and chris getting horny for athrun is kinda weird 'cause I don't think those two ever express any interest in all two of the guys in cross ange? Even when Chris joins Embryo, it's about being appreciated, she doesn't seem to have any sexual or romantic interest in him and she never seems to do anything with him, the shots of him doing things for her are just him talking to her about video games. Chris and Rosalie's entire subplot is semi-romantically framed, too.

Obviously I'm not going to Cross Ange for well-realized depictions of lesbianism, but it's still a weird thing to insert, especially when you could do basically the same jokes with, like Salia and Ersha or something.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I'm only about 15 stages in but Chitose is already really great. Calling Seabook a weaboo, getting upset at how the Cross Ange cast is acting and just walking up and telling them off, all the interactions with Setsuna, trying to play matchmaker with the entire rest of the cast (especially Gaine and Nine), and generally just being a super understanding person with a strong sense of hope and how important it is makes her really great.

She's just a genuinely super nice person who's too nosy but always means well and is totally ok with calling everyone else out on their poo poo, which is awesome and I'll take any day over the 10th flirty gambler Spike knockoff protag.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

also one complaint is that the stuff with rosalie and chris getting horny for athrun is kinda weird 'cause I don't think those two ever express any interest in all two of the guys in cross ange? Even when Chris joins Embryo, it's about being appreciated, she doesn't seem to have any sexual or romantic interest in him and she never seems to do anything with him, the shots of him doing things for her are just him talking to her about video games. Chris and Rosalie's entire subplot is semi-romantically framed, too.

Obviously I'm not going to Cross Ange for well-realized depictions of lesbianism, but it's still a weird thing to insert, especially when you could do basically the same jokes with, like Salia and Ersha or something.

Athrun as a ladykiller is a meme, and I don't know if this was a thing in Cross Ange that would actually cause a problem but I feel like what they were going for is using that as a crossover way to get Chris and Rosalie to settle down and go along with the team, and specifically to not be as hostile to Ange and/or Hilda as they could? Like I remember a lot of cases where that comes up being like "guys, please, this isn't the time." "Aww, fine, if you say so, Athrun..."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I can get that but it still kinda bothers me, especially the line where Chris goes (Sorry, Rosalie, Hilda), which seems to go beyond just not really noticing the implications and actively into 'well sure in the show they were kinda gay BUT athrun,' which really, really bugs me, even though it's, you know, Cross Ange. Considering their general personalities, you could have just had one of the more drill instructor-y characters like Mao or Closeau yell at them anyway, they're both characterized as kowtowing to authority and threats.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EGSunBro posted:

I'm only about 15 stages in but Chitose is already really great. Calling Seabook a weaboo, getting upset at how the Cross Ange cast is acting and just walking up and telling them off, all the interactions with Setsuna, trying to play matchmaker with the entire rest of the cast (especially Gaine and Nine), and generally just being a super understanding person with a strong sense of hope and how important it is makes her really great.

She's just a genuinely super nice person who's too nosy but always means well and is totally ok with calling everyone else out on their poo poo, which is awesome and I'll take any day over the 10th flirty gambler Spike knockoff protag.

I haven't done Chitose's story yet but I wouldn't say Souji is flirty and he's definitely not a gambler. I don't know how he comes off in Chitose's story but in his own he's a terriblyt broken person pretending not to be one because if he doesn't live life to the fullest then he's letting the rest of his extremely dead squadmates down.

Besides with Kurz, Saburota, and Lockon this game's all full up on flirty douchebags to begin with

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

isn't the secret scion of an ancient race or anything
I'm sure in V2 it will be revealed that she is something like that.

I'm playing Souji the first time because I was pretty sure I would enjoy the female protag more and leave that as an incentive to play it again and yep, looks like it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Based off what you guys are saying, I'm 70% sure none of you played the Souji route. Souji ends up getting a lot of Chitose's dialogue when he's the protagonist, down to calling Seabook a weeaboo. He's not a gambler and he's not Crowe.

Souji is actually pretty cool on his route. He gets to realize his life's dream as of 5 minutes prior, which is to be a member of the Brave Express Corps. He's basically a mature version of Hugo Medio because he's a veteran of a horrible massacre, but instead of being angsty about it he realized that he needs to do everything he can to enjoy life at every possible moment. He's a little awkward, but he's got his poo poo together like the cast members whose shows have ended.

Meanwhile, Chitose is a pair of breasts who gets dropped off at the first safe location you can manage because she's not a soldier and Souji doesn't want her getting hurt.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really liking Chitose so far, and I'm not exactly looking forwaard ot playing Souji.

Velt and Lottie are pretty great too though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Souji seems like a pretty alright guy from the stages he's around in Chitose's route. But from what I understand Souji's a better character in Chitose's route than Chitose is in Souji's, which I guess is sort of a shame if that's true.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Souji seems like a pretty alright guy from the stages he's around in Chitose's route. But from what I understand Souji's a better character in Chitose's route than Chitose is in Souji's, which I guess is sort of a shame if that's true.

Souji does pretty much nothing in Chitose's route besides be extremely vaguely flirty with Chitose before vanishing for a billion years.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Yeah I can get that but it still kinda bothers me, especially the line where Chris goes (Sorry, Rosalie, Hilda), which seems to go beyond just not really noticing the implications and actively into 'well sure in the show they were kinda gay BUT athrun,' which really, really bugs me, even though it's, you know, Cross Ange. Considering their general personalities, you could have just had one of the more drill instructor-y characters like Mao or Closeau yell at them anyway, they're both characterized as kowtowing to authority and threats.

I get that too. I'm not defending it or anything. It just seems like they thought it was, rather than weird, actually quite clever to successfully make the "all the girls love Athrun, for some reason" joke in a cross-series way that is a minor plot point.

KoB
May 1, 2009
If their dialogue is mostly the same I'd bet Soji's conversations with Nine could come off as super creepy coming from a knock off Kurz womanizer guy instead of adorable as with Chitose.

Captain Rufus posted:

They are gonna make a kit of our main's Robot right? It's cool and I kinda want one. Plus love the description being that it's more like a gun with legs than a robot with guns. Even if the pilot needs to put more clothes on. I was sharing images of the game on FB last night and a friend commented on her tie. I responded I'm surprised they decided to actually hide some cleavage because of it. Baby steps for Japan dork media I guess. Baby steps.

OTOH in her final attack cut in, she pushes her chest out so far it bursts open the button on her breast pocket. :rolleyes:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

KoB posted:

If their dialogue is mostly the same I'd bet Soji's conversations with Nine could come off as super creepy coming from a knock off Kurz womanizer guy instead of adorable as with Chitose.

Why, was Chitose hitting on Nine or something?

Nine hints that she has feelings for Soji, and Soji is apprehensive around her because she reminds him of his little sister. Soji only really flirted with Chitose and like 3 other ladies in the game, and the subject is almost always immediately dropped. He's nothing like Kurz or the Yamato guys.

It turns out that there's a lot to the character that you didn't experience because you only see brief clips of him before he splits from the crew.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just got Zero and Emperor G. My goodness, that's where the budget went for this entry.

e: I have hosed up almost every secret despite using all the characters in question. I missed the Missile pod for Xi even soling Lane every single time, having Hathaway fight Loni, Great Aced, etc. I have no idea what some of these criteria even are.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing that bugs me about Souji is less a pronouncement on him personally since I barely know him, and more that from Chitose's perspective, Souji is kind of a mentor and Nine is an interesting partner and they're both cool dynamics. If their positions were switched, it feels like Nine would just be another robot girlfriend sitting in the back seat and Chitose would be a crappier Esther.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Meanwhile, Chitose is a pair of breasts
this is a really weird thing to say about a fictional character

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

this is a really weird thing to say about a fictional character

It's lovely phrasing but I kind of get the sentiment. With Chitose as the hero, she's an underdog while Souji is doing his best impression of a grizzled, world-weary veteran of 23. If Souji is the hero, Chitose has nothing interesting to be, just a useless little girl who never made the cut.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 8, 2017

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So SRW V got me to check out Nadesico since I'd never seen it before, and I came away from that really wondering if the Hiryu Custom from OG was based on the Nadesico. Obviously the designs are a lot different, but it was a lot of little things like the gravity-based main gun, the Captain's uniforms being similar etc. Also got a real Excellen vibe from Minato.

Good show overall (especially since the last series SRW got me to watch was Cross Ange), though the plot was a real mess. I think it was at its best when it was essentially Patlabor in Space.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Silvergun1000 posted:

So SRW V got me to check out Nadesico since I'd never seen it before, and I came away from that really wondering if the Hiryu Custom from OG was based on the Nadesico. Obviously the designs are a lot different, but it was a lot of little things like the gravity-based main gun, the Captain's uniforms being similar etc. Also got a real Excellen vibe from Minato.

Good show overall (especially since the last series SRW got me to watch was Cross Ange), though the plot was a real mess. I think it was at its best when it was essentially Patlabor in Space.

It absolutely is, yes.

Meanwhile, the Kurogane is based on the Gotengo, while Hagane is based on Yamato.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ugh I think I found a mistranslated SR point on 24 Londo Bell route. I've got 12 kills but when I pop Angelo it just cuts right to the next event with no SR point.

e: Oh, I killed everything else and THEN Angelo and THAT was the SR point. Jesus.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Cross Ange:
Ange is absurdly good, Salamandria is fairly solid, the rest are disposable.

FMP:
Sousuke is extremely good, the rest are pretty mediocre and should only be deployed as a group.

Nadesico:
Black Selena and the Nadesico are extremely good, the other Aesties are kinda mediocre.
also since i love c-list reals in these games imma give my thoughts on the ones in this game (the gundam supports qualify as at least b-rank so im not going over them)

Salia: She's pretty okay. She has a low Commander rank, an okay spirit list (she could do without bullseye but cheap Zero-In and cheap Gain is a good combination) and her secondary attack is post-movement and decent power. She also actually gets a mid-game upgrade, unlike a lot of the Cross Ange cast. It's not setting the world on fire but it puts her on the same level as, say, Lunamaria. She also has a solid ace bonus, deploying with 2 exC already in the tank and getting an always active +10% to her accuracy and evasion.

Hilda: She's pretty much exactly like Salia, but with a slightly worse spirit list but a high base potential and ignore size. Also no commander rank. She gets a fairly similar mid-game upgrade, too, and her ace bonus is exactly the same, just starting with +10 will instead of +2 exC. The two of them are definitely the best of the Cross Ange sidekicks, and pretty usable filler.

Vivian: She gets no upgrades near as I can tell, so she falls way behind the two characters she's most similar to, Salia and Hilda. One of her spirit slots is taken up by Mercy, too, and her ace bonus might as well read +75 TacP at the end of every scenario since an item that gives +5 will isn't really worth using. Granted +75 TacP at the end of every scenario isn't horrible, it basically gives her Maito's president skill. Also she has Haze.

Rosalie: Pretty bad. She has a bizarrely super-esque spirit list but her only post movement attacks are her piddly rifle and her finisher with limited ammo. And her ace bonus is just a money increase with no other boost. It isn't even a big money increase.

Chris: The Cross Ange gunners are pretty much unusable. They don't start with hit and run, they have bad spirit lists, and for some reason her ace bonus is a boost to her damage on the enemy's turn even though her second-best attack has a deadzone and she can't attack after moving.

Ersha: She has Cheer on the cheap and support attack/defend with a decent ace bonus to go along with it (3 SP for both her and the person she's supporting whenever she supports) but she's still not very good. You could maybe dump a ton of support attack related skills on her and just use her for that, but you could also do that with, like, Lockon.

Tusk: I really wish he had Zero-In instead of Guts. But he gets Love for extremely cheap, has Agitate, and has an okay generic mech, so he's pretty good. Actually, if you gave him a combo with Ange, he'd be great.

for the fmp crew

Closeau: He's actually pretty solid. He can use his finisher without any focus requirement whatsoever, and his finisher has an EN cost when none of his other moves do, so he can just spam it. It isn't incredibly strong or anything, but it's about on the same level as a b-list gundam. He also has a low-level Commander rank, like Salia. His spirit list is kinda eh tho.

Kurz: He has hit and run by default and 3 levels of support attack, so as c-list snipers go he blows the Cross Ange gunners out of the water. That said, his only attack with any power behind it whatsoever only has 6 shots. Also I have no idea what his ace bonus does and it's either really good or really bad. "Increases Final Accuracy by 20% for women and increases Final Evasion% by 30% when attacked by men." Does he give every female ally an accuracy boost? Or do enemy women have a better chance of hitting him? I don't know.

Mao: She's pretty crappy. Her spirits are weirdly expensive, her strongest attack is ranged even though she's supposed to be a melee unit, and if you wanted a unit with a ranged finisher with limited ammo and no focus requirement, Kurz is right there. That said, she does enable the FMP combo attack. That's the only reason to deploy her, and I'd say that's only worth doing if you're deploying Sousuke and Kurz anyway, not just one or the other.

nadesicos -

Ryoko: I decree her to be okay. She actually has a pretty good spirit list and since she's a nadesico unit she can just spam her distortion punch. IIRC she gets valor really early too.

Saburouta: lol

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurtz's ace bonus is, I believe, that he has an easier time hitting women and an easier time avoiding attacks from men.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's me, I'm the guy who uses Chris, Kurz, and Vivian and got their ace bonuses early. And mostly ignored the Getters, Mazingers, the EVA crew, and generally other supers not named Might or Black Gaine.

I just really like S sized reals okay :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Kurtz's ace bonus is, I believe, that he has an easier time hitting women and an easier time avoiding attacks from men.
Ah. That's pretty mediocre but it's a pretty big evasion boost against most generic enemies at least.

edit: also i used literally every geass unit in z2.2 on my first run of that game, and also all of the wing crew. whaddup.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 8, 2017

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Son Ryo posted:

I hate that I have to ask this and I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer, but you mean the Full Armor Double Zeta and not the mobile suit from Sentinel that's known simply as "FAZZ", right?

Yeah the Full Armor Double Zeta. I didn't even know the latter was a thing, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Elsha can also repair so as a Cross Ange she's largely obviated by Tusk but if you really want an early dedicated healer I guess she's better than Guard Diver because she's faster and can fly (Diver's a much better fighter though).

• Locked thread