Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Where can i find an electric fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Okay I'm going to be honest the aliasing and framerate dips on the Wii U version of the game are starting to annoy me a little bit.

Edit: manually setting the WiiU to display 720p and using a pro controller seems to help but I still get a lot a framerate drops. I might just wait for another patch before I keep playing.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 8, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I beat it, the last boss is pretty meh and the ending isn't all that great but this game is loving amazing.

I'm just sad it's over. :smith:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

s.i.r.e. posted:

I beat it, the last boss is pretty meh and the ending isn't all that great but this game is loving amazing.

I'm just sad it's over. :smith:

I read online that the game has a "True Ending"(why the gently caress do JRPGs do this in the first place) so did you get the the True Ending?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 8, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I read online that the game has a "True Ending"(why the gently caress do JRPGs do this in the first place) so did you get the the True Ending?

So you have a reason to do things otherwise than b-line to ganon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

spasticColon posted:

I just looked it up, and nope, I need to get the last memory and go for the ending again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, I cannot sing loudly enough the praises of the Divine Beasts. I genuinely think they are, both in concept and execution, the best dungeons Nintendo has ever done. I just finished Vah Naboris and it made me think, like genuinely think about its puzzles, approaching from different angles, trying solution after solution until I finally got the one that worked. It's been a long-rear end time since a video game has made me stretch my mind like that, and god drat it felt good. I challenged myself to get every chest in that thing just because I was enjoying it so much, and I was actually kind of sad to leave it for the final time. The Divine Beasts are somehow both dungeons and characters, and they're cool as poo poo. And while Mipha was kind of 'eh,' if the other champions are even a fraction as awesome as Urbosa, I have a lot to look forward to yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

Picking up on fragments of the possible point in the timeline by observing environments and buildings is fun. I got a little excitement yesterday in the far-west desert when I found some ruins the map identified as Arbiter's Grounds.

Grab the memory from the pedestal to the south of Hyrule Castle if you haven't already. Zelda explicitly mentions Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess as past incarnations of Link.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Spergatory posted:

Man, I cannot sing loudly enough the praises of the Divine Beasts. I genuinely think they are, both in concept and execution, the best dungeons Nintendo has ever done. I just finished Vah Naboris and it made me think, like genuinely think about its puzzles, approaching from different angles, trying solution after solution until I finally got the one that worked. It's been a long-rear end time since a video game has made me stretch my mind like that, and god drat it felt good. I challenged myself to get every chest in that thing just because I was enjoying it so much, and I was actually kind of sad to leave it for the final time. The Divine Beasts are somehow both dungeons and characters, and they're cool as poo poo. And while Mipha was kind of 'eh,' if the other champions are even a fraction as awesome as Urbosa, I have a lot to look forward to yet.

I liked the dungeon but didn't like navigating it. It was awkward.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

By the way, hold the whistle button and run forward while tapping the sprint button, and uh, you kind of run forever without using up any stamina. Regenerating it, in fact! And can kind of run up mountains a little.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also, what is thread opinion on the Yiga Clan, especially people that have done the Gerudo area? I like them a lot and that was a great miniboss, and enjoyed the stealth gameplay since I already play this game mostly with stealth because I don't like wasting my good weapons on low tier bokogoblins.

The Yiga/Gerudo stuff is pretty short really but it definitely adds to the experience, much better than the Rito where you do barely anything beforehand.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The last memory I needed was in the Castle, so I got it and just beat the game again, time to see what's changed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I thought I was gonna need stamina food to get up the hateno tower, but it turns out I just needed fire arrows.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

s.i.r.e. posted:

The last memory I needed was in the Castle, so I got it and just beat the game again, time to see what's changed.

Did you go to Impa after finding all the memories like she told you to?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what's crazy? I've played this forty hours. I've done one dungeon. I've seen all the classic races, seen reference to the master sword but never by name, seen people talk about references to other games, all the characters are here or referenced, but I just now realized, I don't think anyone has said a single word about the triforce this entire game so far. No one has even mentioned it in passing or made an oblique reference to it, even in stories about the ancient past and ocarina of time references.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Did you go to Impa after finding all the memories like she told you to?

Awww gently caress, really? God drat it. Oh well, here we go... again.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

krursk posted:

You can feed your horse?! I never thought to do that.

Oh well gently caress him I'm still not feeding the bastard.

Hold the apple like you were going to cook with it, and then walk around to its head.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

parallelodad posted:

You know what's crazy? I've played this forty hours. I've done one dungeon. I've seen all the classic races, seen reference to the master sword but never by name, seen people talk about references to other games, all the characters are here or referenced, but I just now realized, I don't think anyone has said a single word about the triforce this entire game so far. No one has even mentioned it in passing or made an oblique reference to it, even in stories about the ancient past and ocarina of time references.

I found guy talking about "sunken treasure in the golden triangle" but I haven't followed up on that yet to see if it's more Triforce-related.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i dont know if its explicitly mentioned later, but a lot of the early shrine mummies hold their hands to make triangles in the shape of the triforcw

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

parallelodad posted:

It shows up on ruined architecture in various places, but yeah it's not mentioned by name.

The relative lack of any location lore is really starting to grate on me, tbh. They've got these fantastic set pieces like the shrouded forest and absolutely sweet gently caress all when it comes to mythology to go with them.

Like, I get that this is post-apocalyptic but throw me a bone here, even the Shadow Temple had enough flesh to have nerds writing fanfiction for twenty years. It really hollows out the world. :smith:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Triforce tends to be something stapled on late game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought a second-hand Wii U to play this, and it's really, really good so far. I'm gradually making my way towards Kakariko village, just exploring and doing shrines as I see them. I'm playing on a Wii U tablet gamepad thingy because I don't want to spend any more money than I actually need to, and after a bit of adjustment the controls really aren't too bad and it's actually very playable on the little tablet screen if my wife wants to watch TV.

The framerate drops are bearable, apart from at the Duelling Peaks stables where it chugs hardcore and it's pretty unpleasant. And, while the art style and overall presentation are good, the aliasing is awful and it's difficult not to notice how ropey things in the distance can look. It's weird, I'll be sneaking through the grass and the wind will be blowing and a cloud whizzes overhead and it looks absolutely stunning, but then I look off into the distance and see a three polygon shrine or something and it sort of ruins it a bit. It's not enough to dampen my enjoyment of the game, but goddamn Nintendo, release some decent hardware so your artists can really stretch their muscles. Imagine this game running even on PS4 level hardware, let alone something truly modern.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god, you can get a Luchadore wrestling mask :stare:. It's in the Gerudo Secret Club, for 800 Rupees and three Luminous Stones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Yiga/Gerudo stuff is pretty short really but it definitely adds to the experience, much better than the Rito where you do barely anything beforehand.

Yeah Rito and Zora are both like "okay lets go take down that divine beast!" as soon as you show up. Garudo was more fun with the side quest and boss, I wish they were all like that. Oh well.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh my god, you can get a Luchadore wrestling mask :stare:. It's in the Gerudo Secret Club, for 800 Rupees and three Luminous Stones.

Its also a dia de los muertos mask!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are there any traditional OOT/link to the past style dungeons? Like big themed set piece style things?

I have done the first of 4 things that you need to do (the zora area) and that was cool and fun but man I'm gonna be kinda bummed if that is what everyone is referring to when they talk about "dungeons" in this game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So are the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards the cheapest way to get free loot in this game?

Look like you can buy 6 for $6 on Amazon, and there are 4 series for 24 cards total

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

causticBeet posted:

Are there any traditional OOT/link to the past style dungeons? Like big themed set piece style things?

I have done the first of 4 things that you need to do (the zora area) and that was cool and fun but man I'm gonna be kinda bummed if that is what everyone is referring to when they talk about "dungeons" in this game.

Those are the dungeons. Make your peace with it now and just enjoy the loving phenomenal game we have been given

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

causticBeet posted:

Nope, the dungeons are all like the one you did, there's a couple labyrinths but they aren't really close to what you want.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hedrigall posted:

Those are the dungeons. Make your peace with it now and just enjoy the loving phenomenal game we have been given

Yeah, those are fun and the rest of the world around the game is amazing. Oh well, I guess I could just replay OOT?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bardeh posted:

I bought a second-hand Wii U to play this, and it's really, really good so far. I'm gradually making my way towards Kakariko village, just exploring and doing shrines as I see them. I'm playing on a Wii U tablet gamepad thingy because I don't want to spend any more money than I actually need to, and after a bit of adjustment the controls really aren't too bad and it's actually very playable on the little tablet screen if my wife wants to watch TV.

The framerate drops are bearable, apart from at the Duelling Peaks stables where it chugs hardcore and it's pretty unpleasant. And, while the art style and overall presentation are good, the aliasing is awful and it's difficult not to notice how ropey things in the distance can look. It's weird, I'll be sneaking through the grass and the wind will be blowing and a cloud whizzes overhead and it looks absolutely stunning, but then I look off into the distance and see a three polygon shrine or something and it sort of ruins it a bit. It's not enough to dampen my enjoyment of the game, but goddamn Nintendo, release some decent hardware so your artists can really stretch their muscles. Imagine this game running even on PS4 level hardware, let alone something truly modern.

The only place I really noticed framerate issues so far was Death Mountain (the heat shinies plus the critical hit shinies don't seem to agree with each other and it goes down to single digits. Low single digits.) but until a couple of years ago I did my gaming on a toaster of a PC so I have a low bar for "good enough."

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I never got around to trying this but with Naboris can you glide seamlessly back into the desert or do you just fall into a black fade out? I'm assuming the latter since there's a load screen when you first enter. I think it's so awesome that you can glide from the top of Hyrule Castle and land thirty seconds later on a serene grassy hill.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got the added scene, it's a better way to close the game off for sure.

Also, there's no "post game." You don't get to save after the last boss and run around Hyrule without the threat of Calamity Ganon looming, which, kinda sucks. I was hoping that there'd be extra stuff after and you'd have to restore Hyrule Castle and do a bunch of quests but nope. That really sucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

snoremac posted:

I never got around to trying this but with Naboris can you glide seamlessly back into the desert or do you just fall into a black fade out? I'm assuming the latter since there's a load screen when you first enter. I think it's so awesome that you can glide from the top of Hyrule Castle and land thirty seconds later on a serene grassy hill.

All the Divine Beasts are instanced and black you out if you fall off them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

snoremac posted:

The latter, same with all of them. Its a little lame but oh well. The illusion that you're in the same space is pretty good. I love being up on the bird one and looking down at the world like a mile down. Serious vertigo.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, there's no "post game." You don't get to save after the last boss and run around Hyrule without the threat of Calamity Ganon looming, which, kinda sucks. I was hoping that there'd be extra stuff after and you'd have to restore Hyrule Castle and do a bunch of quests but nope. That really sucks.

There's a season pass for this zelda game, which is going to include at least one more dungeon :)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The chest symbol appears next to a shrine once you've collected all the treasure inside right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a season pass for this zelda game, which is going to include at least one more dungeon :)

The dungeons are super short in this game though, so I don't know how much content that will bring. And I'm hoping the DLC gives us an opportunity to rebuild the castle and whatnot. They could then give us a way to refight the bosses via memories or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's super cool that the gerudo are ripped and badass (like they should be!) but the "gaining access to the city" quest was a little... iffy.

But hey, I like the outfit :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Triforce got tired of the curse and flew off, never to be seen again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its still there It clearly features in the scene where Zelda awakens her powers for instance but it is clearly downplayed.

Which isn't unusual for Zelda games. Things have really weird spikes and dips in importance.

Besides the greater heresy is this Link wearing blue and no hat. Literally the only thing all Links had in common and he hosed it up!

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Its super subtle, but there is a sort of reference to it; in one cutscene Zelda mentions that she prayed / studied at the temple of courage and temple of power, and they did nothing for her. And that on her 17th birthday she would attempt the last one, the temple of wisdom. Or something like that.

Clearly having to do with her being the bearer of the Triforce of wisdom.