Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

“Wonder Woman” attempts a high degree of difficulty from its very premise: Along with being a superhero movie, Warner Bros.’ upcoming DC Comics-based feature is also a period piece and a war film. But even though the movie’s set in the midst of World War I, director Patty Jenkins wants you to know that it’s what happens, not when it happens, that truly matters.

“The truth is, with any of these superhero stories, it doesn’t really matter,” Jenkins told press including CBR at an event in London last week. “It’s not about World War I. It’s about a god — a superhero/Amazon — coming to man’s world and viewing mankind.”

While Jenkins hopes the story of “Wonder Woman” is universal beyond its setting, she also said she appreciates telling a story in World War I — both for the creative possibilities and the fact that audiences typically know relatively little about the century-old war, compared to the much more heavily pop culture-mined World War II.

“I almost very quickly loved it,” Jenkins said. “We’ve seen World War II so much. There are a lot of misunderstandings at play in World War I. The great thing is, it was not clear what’s going on. And that’s great for her journey.”

In the movie, US fighter pilot Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) washes ashore on Themyscira, and tells Diana about the great war unfolding in “man’s world” — spurring her into action and ready to take on what World War I has to offer. In a particularly engaging scene shown to press, Wonder Woman boldly resists the hail of gunfire (thanks to her shield and bulletproof bracelets) to traverse to man’s land, helping Trevor and his fellow soldiers.

The World War I setting is the main timeline of the movie, though there is a framing sequence set in the present day, which is where Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman was originally depicted, in 2016’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” While Wonder Woman is getting used to her new surroundings — and dealing with the rampant sexism of the era — she finds plenty of worthwhile discoveries in the war itself, along with some good arguments for pacifism.

“It’s the first mechanized war,” Jenkins said. “Mankind was changing their belief system of what they were willing to do and what they weren’t. The big and most interesting thing about World War I was how there’d been cavalry, and that was what you were proud of — be there, you’re fighting, you’re on your horse. Now, you’re just bombing people. And that’s what her observation is — ‘You’re just shooting? You don’t know who you’re killing, you don’t know what’s going on? Amazing.'”

Of course, any World War I in which Princess Diana of Themyscira is a participant is a lot different than the one that actually went down from 1914 to 1918 — so Jenkins was aware of the need for balance between the real and fictional worlds.

“That was my obsession, was tone,” Jenkins told reporters. “Coming in I was like, ‘OK, we have to be so careful that it doesn’t look like a BBC documentary, and so it doesn’t look silly that somebody has a superhero costume on.’ We have to hit exactly that pocket.”

“It was fun in that way, to do it about a period of time that people don’t know, and to do it to a period of time where it was like that,” Jenkins added. “Nobody can do this. You cannot cross No Man’s Land. ‘She can block bullets — wait a minute!'”

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-patty-jenkins-world-war-i-setting/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just realized how odd it is that Wonder Woman's origin here is actually farther back in time than her original debut.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I wonder if that was a purely creative choice because the setting isn't used often or if it was because Marvel also has a character out of time that wears lots of blue who originated during WWII.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I wonder if that was a purely creative choice because the setting isn't used often or if it was because Marvel also has a character out of time that wears lots of blue who originated during WWII.

It's probably because it was a truly horrifying, grinding, largely static war that provides a perfect counterpoint to Wonder Woman's incredible mobility and near invulnerability. If memory serves, the other choice was the Crimean war, which was a similarly insanely awful, pointless war.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

loving dope.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
WW's theme gets talked up a lot but I think Zimmer's Lex Luthor theme is amazing and the best piece of scoring in that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3N-O5BCZSM

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

It's probably because it was a truly horrifying, grinding, largely static war that provides a perfect counterpoint to Wonder Woman's incredible mobility and near invulnerability. If memory serves, the other choice was the Crimean war, which was a similarly insanely awful, pointless war.

Yeah, a key part of using WWI is that it's a grinding war where modern technology blasts the old notions of war. The level of disillusionment associated with The Great War ties in near perfectly with the stated introduction from BvS that she turned her back on the world of man. There's not Nazis that are near comically evil, and there's not even really an ideological conflict. There's an aggressive futility tied to the war that is almost unique, even when you compare it with other notoriously "bad wars".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

Yeah, a key part of using WWI is that it's a grinding war where modern technology blasts the old notions of war. The level of disillusionment associated with The Great War ties in near perfectly with the stated introduction from BvS that she turned her back on the world of man. There's not Nazis that are near comically evil, and there's not even really an ideological conflict. There's an aggressive futility tied to the war that is almost unique, even when you compare it with other notoriously "bad wars".

You're right. There's not really even any villains in WW1, just incompetence and callousness.

The most amazing story I remember reading from WW1 was that, after Cambrai, which was the first successful use of tanks, there were British cavalry officers did their level best to 'prove' the tanks didn't work as well as claimed. Going so far as to seize on largely invented stories of artillery annihilating tanks en masse to prove that they, the cavalry, should still be front and centre and that this new weapon didn't work nearly as well as it obviously did.

It's the same mentality that produces 'overrated movies' lists, but it lead to thousands if not millions of deaths. It was a pointless war protracted by incredible small mindedness, and it's hard to think of a better setting for Wonder Woman becoming disillusioned.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think all judgement of Logan should made in light of the fact that (big spoilers!) is that it ends with Wolverine's death, and at his funeral a kid mournfully squeezes a Wolverine action figure. Because that really happens in the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 8, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

There's an aggressive futility tied to the war that is almost unique, even when you compare it with other notoriously "bad wars".

This, for sure. WW2 is pretty universally regarded as a necessary conflict where good triumphed over evil. As much as it was an absurd nightmare of destruction, you can't get past the idea that Nazis are an apocalypse cult that needed to be stopped.

If Diana's takeaway is supposed to be that man is a blind, warlike animal that fights for no reason, you need a conflict where neither side has a strong case for being "the good guys." Though it helps that WW1 has a way less familiar imagery to modern audiences. That'll look neat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, it just occurred to me that Steve Trevor is now a WW1 fighter pilot so he'll probably be flying a jaunty biplane. Although judging from the trailers he upgrades himself to a Fokker Eindecker at some point. :black101:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly if I were to blame any parties for the war more than others it'd be France and Russia. It's a war with no "clear baddie" but we still get a skewed history of it over here, like Austria- Hungary's post-assassination ultimatum was completely unreasonable and meant to be rejected

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

WW's theme gets talked up a lot but I think Zimmer's Lex Luthor theme is amazing and the best piece of scoring in that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3N-O5BCZSM
Lex's theme is a distorted version of Supermans theme'

http://batman-news.com/2016/11/28/lex-luthor-theme-batman-v-superman-distorted-superman/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The MSJ posted:

I guess this count as a comic book movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WaoTEAMTdI

If your first trailer lacks the one thing anyone cares about in the jojo series, you hosed up.

Also it just plain looks bad.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

Also it just plain looks bad.

Standard Miike.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly if I were to blame any parties for the war more than others it'd be France and Russia. It's a war with no "clear baddie" but we still get a skewed history of it over here, like Austria- Hungary's post-assassination ultimatum was completely unreasonable and meant to be rejected

Well, it certainly didn't help that one of the leading/few voices for a more reasonable treatment of the Serbs was the one whose assassination by the Serbs, creating the catalyst for the whole thing. Or that Germany wrote Austria-Hungary a blank check of backing and then the Kaiser went on a goddamned vacation where no one could reach him for weeks as the continent frantically both revved up the war machine and desperately tried to find a way not to have a war.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think all judgement of Logan should made in light of the fact that (big spoilers!) is that it ends with Wolverine's death, and at his funeral a kid mournfully squeezes a Wolverine action figure. Because that really happens in the movie.

This isn't the sick iceburn you think it is. In fact it was pretty touching and effective in context.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xealot posted:

If Diana's takeaway is supposed to be that man is a blind, warlike animal that fights for no reason, you need a conflict where neither side has a strong case for being "the good guys." Though it helps that WW1 has a way less familiar imagery to modern audiences. That'll look neat.

On the other hand, we know Ares is involved so I'm really not expecting any nuance. I'm expecting the Germans to just be totally-not-actually-Nazis in gas masks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

This isn't the sick iceburn you think it is. In fact it was pretty touching and effective in context.

Actually, it was hilariously bad for Logan to recontextualize everything that came before as the death of an action figure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually, it was hilariously bad for Logan to recontextualize everything that came before as the death of an action figure.

Actually, he's a comic bookmen.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why is that hilariously bad? I don't get what you're trying to say.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, we know Ares is involved so I'm really not expecting any nuance. I'm expecting the Germans to just be totally-not-actually-Nazis in gas masks.

OTOH it might actually be funnier if Ares shows up towards the end and goes "uh you guys are too much even for me, cya"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Why is that hilariously bad? I don't get what you're trying to say.

Because with all of its trappings of adult storytelling, it really is just that juvenile in the end. It's the last we see of Wolverine in any form in the movie: as a children's toy. All the violent sadism and thick sentimentality of the movie was ultimately in service to that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Because with all of its trappings of adult storytelling, it really is just that juvenile in the end. It's the last we see of Wolverine in any form in the movie: as a children's toy. All the violent sadism and thick sentimentality of the movie was ultimately in service to that.

No I got what you were saying, I just don't understand why it's bad.

I mean, it's true, right?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
When did people begin to poo poo on GOtG? I didn't love it or anything but I thought the general consensus was that it was pretty damned good. Is it the "now that it's popular, it's cool not to like it" thing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

When did people begin to poo poo on GOtG? I didn't love it or anything but I thought the general consensus was that it was pretty damned good. Is it the "now that it's popular, it's cool not to like it" thing?

Contrarianism and "actually, good things are bad" have been staples of the internet since 1992.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Comic book movies that get lauded as THE BEST ONE YET will usually start receiving backlash when the hype eventually wears off. For example, it's now easy to see now how hackneyed GotG's writing is, and how terrible the dialogue is in the trailers for the sequel.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

No I got what you were saying, I just don't understand why it's bad.

I mean, it's true, right?

The movie is very juvenile in how it reaches for maturity but defaults to sadism and sentimentality, and the action figure helpfully underlines that. So I guess it isn't actually bad, it's more insightful.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 8, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It was static on the western front but was fluid in the east.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was the mullet of Wars

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Guardians of the Galaxy is awesome. I remember in this thread there was a conversation about how it is now actually a bad movie because its aesthetic isn't as detailed as Blade Runner but like, no poo poo most movies aren't going to look like one of the single best looking movies ever made.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is awesome. I remember in this thread there was a conversation about how it is now actually a bad movie because its aesthetic isn't as detailed as Blade Runner but like, no poo poo most movies aren't going to look like one of the single best looking movies ever made.

If they're going to make a dumb comparison like that, they might as well just compare it to the best looking movie ever made.

Speed Racer

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

No because why would it be popular in here back when it was released and then largely when people stopped caring about the "it's popular so it's poo poo" people come out of the woodwork? That's oxymoronic, it wasn't an obscure gem that gained momentum after release, it was extremely popular on release and then kinda faded from memory.

I like GotG pretty well but I can understand people reevaluating it now that they sequel is imminent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nah, it actually owns, it's not every day you see a superhero movie that's completely self-aware about the "real" importance of its central character. The entire movie is about the conflict between the man, Logan, and the myth, Wolverine. The myth is what lives on after his death, not the man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

But the movie goes to great lengths to show that Wolverine is well known and the X-Men had mass media adaptations within Logan's universe. It isn't like the toy comes from out of nowhere

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah, it actually owns, it's not every day you see a superhero movie that's completely self-aware about the "real" importance of its central character. The entire movie is about the conflict between the man, Logan, and the myth, Wolverine. The myth is what lives on after his death, not the man.

The movie is about Wolverine dying. There's no conflict between man and myth because he's a comic book mutant superhero. He already is a myth

Also, lol at toys representing myth. Toys represent play, which is a different thing from myth.

notthegoatseguy posted:

But the movie goes to great lengths to show that Wolverine is well known and the X-Men had mass media adaptations within Logan's universe. It isn't like the toy comes from out of nowhere

The bad part isn't that there are Wolverine action figures. The bad part is that the movie never escapes from being so juvenile, and can accurately be summed up as Logan: Death of an Action Figure.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the comic book movie man was a comic book movie man

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is certainly interesting...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Eyes small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I hope it's because Hulk accidentally ripped his hair off.

• Locked thread