Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Some people want to have copies of poo poo on hand.

Yes, olds.

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is literally no need anymore. i stopped collecting tv completely after i figured streams out.

I do have 10,000 episodes on my HDD though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, like...why? Have you ever watched something twice? I have a few times but it was just as easy to find it a second time years later when I wanted to. You can just find it online instantly. What sort of media blackout are you expecting where you need every episode of its always sunny in philadelphia backed up on an external HD? It's pointless

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I picture him riding a bike powering a laptop charger in the zombie apocalypse.

Cursing the day he didn't read the Z Nation thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to hoard TV. Now the only stuff I have backed up is stuff I have never watched. And after I watch something I usually delete it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't save them, I just tend to download instead of stream because I've had buffering issues. Also because I'm one of those plebs who doesn't need everything in 1080p and the lower-res options take a lot less bandwidth.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Yeah you're assuming AoS is getting another season.

Aww gently caress you, I'm :toxx: ing that it does.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

care to oppose that?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BSam posted:

I wish I had your faith in broadcast television.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BSam posted:

care to oppose that?

Good luck sir, and Godspeed

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BSam posted:

care to oppose that?

Fine, but instead of paying money to the forums for my toxx, I'll send it to a worthy cause:

$1 USD to RAINN for every episode in the initial Season 5 order if we get a Season 5 to be paid within 2 weeks of the episode order.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah, like...why? Have you ever watched something twice? I have a few times but it was just as easy to find it a second time years later when I wanted to. You can just find it online instantly. What sort of media blackout are you expecting where you need every episode of its always sunny in philadelphia backed up on an external HD? It's pointless

Watch things twice? Yes. And sometimes you can't find them, like Babylon 5. Or they remove them from streaming, all the big boys (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) rotate their collections. Also, you aren't always with internet. Sometimes I take them flying with me. It's nice to have some favorite shows on long trips. Or if I'm in a hotel with horrible internet. Congrats on being fortunate enough to have constant internet, not everyone has that or can get it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Burning_Monk posted:

Watch things twice? Yes. And sometimes you can't find them, like Babylon 5. Or they remove them from streaming, all the big boys (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) rotate their collections. Also, you aren't always with internet. Sometimes I take them flying with me. It's nice to have some favorite shows on long trips. Or if I'm in a hotel with horrible internet. Congrats on being fortunate enough to have constant internet, not everyone has that or can get it.

I am a happy consumer that buys Blu-rays and soundtracks to support properties that I like and enjoy. I might even buy the Blu-ray set of a TV show that I watched live the first time around. I'm old.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I don't save them, I just tend to download instead of stream because I've had buffering issues. Also because I'm one of those plebs who doesn't need everything in 1080p and the lower-res options take a lot less bandwidth.

Same here.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know reading the Iron Fist reviews its kind of amazing how AOS gets the shaft from most people and how the Netflix series are so much more better and yet AOS does really well at the things that the Netflix series struggles at like pacing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's because most people have forgotten that AoS exists, sadly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I must ave physical copies of things I like and want to watch multiple times. I need to have Ghostbusters, Big Trouble In Little China, Jaws, Big Lebowski and so on. Not to mention I'm a sucker for sales and I'll grab pretty much any blu ray that's 10bux or less that interests me.

I hate not being in complete control of when I want to watch something. I haven't been able to find The Thing for a decent price, and its not on netflix or any other streaming service in Canada. Not to mention Canada is terrible because license holders will sit on stuff and not let it shown anywhere else.

It's too bad people have forgotten AoS, it's just so solid, but the medicore DC shows get all the attention.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I keep copies of a lot less shows than I used to, just things that I really feel likely to watch again. I love my netflix, but playing wack-a-mole with half a dozen subscription services to have access to the show or movie I feel like watching at the time can get hosed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

You know reading the Iron Fist reviews its kind of amazing how AOS gets the shaft from most people and how the Netflix series are so much more better and yet AOS does really well at the things that the Netflix series struggles at like pacing.

Poor pacing is harder to notice when you can binge an entire series in a weekend.

When a series is trickled out on a traditional schedule it's more noticeable. Especially when they do poo poo like 6 week breaks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

counterfeitsaint posted:

I keep copies of a lot less shows than I used to, just things that I really feel likely to watch again. I love my netflix, but playing wack-a-mole with half a dozen subscription services to have access to the show or movie I feel like watching at the time can get hosed.

It's also silly when you realize you're shelling out for streaming services every month that cost more than a new release blue ray TV show.

Seriously, you can easily end up like 60bux a month subscribing to various services, and not have access to everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

even torrenting is a bit of legwork when you can just type show name+streaming into google

From what I've heard from coworkers/random people at the laundromat is that nowadays people use Kodi on Fire Sticks.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

From what I've heard from coworkers/random people at the laundromat is that nowadays people use Kodi on Fire Sticks.

I'm so old, that sentence might as well be nonsense.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aleph Null posted:

I'm so old, that sentence might as well be nonsense.

I think he said something about computers!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Kodi is for plebes who don't know how to pirate :filez:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

twistedmentat posted:

It's too bad people have forgotten AoS, it's just so solid, but the medicore DC shows get all the attention.

AoS is totally my favorite of all the comic book shows including the netflix ones and for the most part I dont care about any of the marvel movies. It's probably because im a giant fan of Joss.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Floppychop posted:

Poor pacing is harder to notice when you can binge an entire series in a weekend.

When a series is trickled out on a traditional schedule it's more noticeable. Especially when they do poo poo like 6 week breaks.
No I'm saying AOS is actually pretty good at pacing when you binge watch a season in a couple of days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

AoS is totally my favorite of all the comic book shows including the netflix ones and for the most part I dont care about any of the marvel movies. It's probably because im a giant fan of Joss.

You mean the guy who did the pilot and nothing else?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Every time racial/gender portrayal comes up (as it has for Iron Fist) I remember that this show has white dudes in a mostly supporting role, and while May kicks rear end it isn't because she's using mystic kung fu, she's just the resident badass. We get occasional cheesecake shots, but this isn't shot as a cheesecake show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bruceski posted:

Every time racial/gender portrayal comes up (as it has for Iron Fist) I remember that this show has white dudes in a mostly supporting role, and while May kicks rear end it isn't because she's using mystic kung fu, she's just the resident badass. We get occasional cheesecake shots, but this isn't shot as a cheesecake show.

I like AoS well enough, but I couldn't stand to think about it constantly like this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like AoS well enough, but I couldn't stand to think about it constantly like this.

Some people can't think about things any other way.

The truth is actually in the middle, so...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's not how I constantly define the show, but I've got friends who talk a lot about when shows do representation badly, so I tend to notice when shows I watch avoid that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

No I'm saying AOS is actually pretty good at pacing when you binge watch a season in a couple of days.

I was saying that Netflix releasing a whole season at once helps people look past pacing issues.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

twistedmentat posted:

It's also silly when you realize you're shelling out for streaming services every month that cost more than a new release blue ray TV show.

Seriously, you can easily end up like 60bux a month subscribing to various services, and not have access to everything.

Perfect is the enemy of good. I have Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and no cable. I think that's like $30 a month for more good poo poo than I could ever watch (and I was recently unemployed), it's loving impossible to run those out. And if you have different tastes, you can probably find some combination for $30 or less that will saturate your every waking moment.

And if you can't? You're.a loving child who will only eat hot dogs and instant lunches. Seriously, watch a documentary or an opera or a horror movie or stand-up or a drama or a comic book movie, make sure you're still a child and it's time for another year of hot dogs before you go and buy a season because you can't wait a year for it to be free. Take 1/10th of the time you're watching poo poo, one week every three months, three days a month, or a month whenever you run out of poo poo, I don't give a gently caress, to try watching something a little outside your comfort zone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I buy blurays because I haven't even had TV hooked to my TV in five years and cable in almost a decade. The internet is wonderful, so I support my favorite stuff by buying their physical media. Even before Netflix, I wouldn't watch tv shows unless they had good buzz when the first collection came out.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rhyno posted:

You mean the guy who did the pilot and nothing else?

Well drat I didn't know that, still a great show regardless.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Perfect is the enemy of good. I have Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and no cable. I think that's like $30 a month for more good poo poo than I could ever watch (and I was recently unemployed), it's loving impossible to run those out. And if you have different tastes, you can probably find some combination for $30 or less that will saturate your every waking moment.

And if you can't? You're.a loving child who will only eat hot dogs and instant lunches. Seriously, watch a documentary or an opera or a horror movie or stand-up or a drama or a comic book movie, make sure you're still a child and it's time for another year of hot dogs before you go and buy a season because you can't wait a year for it to be free. Take 1/10th of the time you're watching poo poo, one week every three months, three days a month, or a month whenever you run out of poo poo, I don't give a gently caress, to try watching something a little outside your comfort zone.

If I do, will it turn me into a bad rear end edge lord who isn't afraid to tell it like it is on the internet? *takes a bit of hot dog*

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

But hot dog sandwiches are really good?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Almost as good as porkchop sandwiches.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anything between two pieces of anything else is a sandwich. It doesn't have to be appetizing, or even edible, but it counts. :colbert:

An "open face" sandwich, while potentially quite tasty, is not a sandwich, unless you take two of them and upend one upon the other.

:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A hot dog bun is one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

A hot dog bun is one piece.

this gets messy because its all about cut depth. did you cut so deep the bun wraps almost entirely around? because now youre in fajita territory and thats a looooooooong way from home, gringo

• Locked thread