Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
if not then I'm not sure why you'd hate such an awesome movie like Man of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I like that there is a universe where Batman wins simply by being a good guy and allowing himself to be happy.

Why does every defense of MoS and/or BvS have to insist that something flew over your head?

Have you seen some of the criticisms against these movies? This is not an assumption, it's an observation. People that saw Sucker punch for example, came away from it thinking it was misogynist garbage, not realizing that it's actually arguing against exploitative nerd male gaze feminism (might still be gargabe though, yymv). How can I not argue that something flew over their head? It's like reading Moby Dick and going "It's a book about a whale, man how boring" and when someone points out that maybe the whale stands for god you get mad that he's implying that you're dumb.

Also technically your spoiler describes Nolans Batman as well.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 8, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

You are talking about worldbuilding. I am talking about something else.

Consider the collateral damage in the fight in MoS. It left a bad taste in a lot of people because of how jarring and brutal it was (including lots of complaints about how unheroic superman is :rolleyes:) but it came up in BvS as a major plot point, and also continues the idea that Superman is a guy who can fly and punch stuff, he's not an all-knowing diety that can solve all the worlds problems like his comic counterpart.
It also draws some interesting comparisons to Pa Kent, in that Pa died trying to save a "lesser creature" just as Superman died saving us. Both movies also have heavy doses of Arthurian lore and imagery baked in to them, and ideas and themes from the dolorous stroke/Fisher king story are prevalent in both. Considering the sequel is all about gathering pure and valiant knights to fight a great evil and unite a kingdom I expect the Arthurian themes (with a heavy does of christian imagery) to continue in JL.

Superman has never been depicted as an "all-knowing diety that can solve all of the worlds problems." He's surprisingly incorruptible in spite of his power, but by default he is usually depicted with human intelligence and flaws countered by a strong sense of morality. Many problems exist in the DC universe despite being the home of Superman.

That aside, I actually think it was an inspired idea to use the sequel to MoS to address it's biggest flaw, though I don't believe it was executed well. I don't buy for a second that this was the intention when the film makers made MoS, and doubt any of them have made such a claim. While BvS may have carried over some themes from MoS, any thematic concepts in MoS were in service of that narrative alone.

McCloud posted:

As for the dream...Batman is a violent warlord that rules over a blasted hellscape with what suspiciously looks like militarized police, when his rule is violently overthrown by aliens and fascist police under the command of Space Lucifer. He is captured, chained up (with two convicts on each side...hmmmm, have I seen that before? https://imgur.com/a/ZjlVa ) and is violently murdered.
In the real world Batman is a violent vigilante that rules the streets of Gotham, torturing and beating up its citizens, with the consent of the local police. He's opposed by Superman (who is rightly disturbed by not only what Batman is doing, but also the implicit support from the local police) and sees himself as a selfless messiah martyr figure, yet impotent and helpless against Superman. The aliens represents his xenophobia and fear of Supermans otherness.
It's clever in that it both works as a window into Bruce's mind, and as a foreshadowing to Him. The large omega in the dried out lake is not only signifying His coming, but also a symbol for the end of the world (which is after all why His symbol is the Omega. He represents the end of all things).

It's why I've said that Snyders greatest problem is that he packs so much information in his visuals that the viewers have a hard time parsing (See Sucker Punch for a good example of this).

I admitted as much that Bruce's dream supported his characterization and, at least initially, the movies themes. What I'm arguing is that the foreshadowing elements simply don't make sense within the context or plot of BvS, is confusing to both general audiences and comic fans, and distracts from the themes of the movie. After the scene, I wasn't contemplating Bruce's fears, but instead was wondering what the bug people and armored guy was all about.

If all they wanted to do is foreshadow Darkseid, they picked a very strange way to do it, especially since they later establish Lex Luthor has some knowledge of him. I see the Arthurian symbolism and how it will carry over into Justice League, but it seems like they didn't have the time to establish why Batman would "gather the knights of the round table", and that the dream was either added or modified to that end at the expense of the current movies themes and plot. In any case, the end result is a confusing and muddled script.

Edit:

McCloud posted:

Have you seen some of the criticisms against these movies? This is not an assumption, it's an observation. People that saw Sucker punch for example, came away from it thinking it was misogynist garbage, not realizing that it's actually arguing against exploitative nerd male gaze feminism (might still be gargabe though, yymv). How can I not argue that something flew over their head? It's like reading Moby Dick and going "It's a book about a whale, man how boring" and when someone points out that maybe the whale stands for god you get mad that he's implying that you're dumb.

It's possible for people to perfectly understand a movie, and still find it bad or flawed. I'd argue the many professional critics who negatively reviewed the movie fall into this category. Your allowed to disagree, but assuming people only hate the movie because they don't understand it is not arguing in good faith.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 8, 2017

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

How was it for a six year old? Form what I can gather, it has a ton of in jokes that a small kid might not pick up on. I'm thinking about taking my son to see it but I'm worried he'll be bored.

Your kid will not be bored for a single second. It is ridiculously rapid-fire with stuff happening. It is true it has tons of jokes that will fly over your kids head, but only bc like the Lego Movie it has a running rate of 1 joke/second, and if a joke misses you don't have time to let it bother you before the next one gets you. The target audience is basically "son who loves how cool batman is from the current cartoons and movies, with dad who remembers and prefers Batman from the old days." For example, like, King Tut is in this film, and you will be laughing at the fact that he made the cut for this film, and your kid will be laughing at how silly he looks.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BiggerBoat posted:

How was it for a six year old? Form what I can gather, it has a ton of in jokes that a small kid might not pick up on. I'm thinking about taking my son to see it but I'm worried he'll be bored.

I don't think they'll be bored, it's hilarious and flies at a mile a minute. Any reference to old stuff is still pretty funny without context and doesn't distract from the movie I don't think.

Seriously, I keep looking to my right in hopes of seeing the 3 dots on Riker's collar but I just can't seem to break this time loop.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, if anyone, young or old, doesn't giggle at Babs graduating from "Harvard For Police" then I'm not sure they speak English.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lego Batman was okay, but the best joke was totally unexpected in a kids movie:

Robin: My name is Richard, but everyone at the orphanage calls me Dick.
Batman: Aww, children can be so cruel.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

Superman has never been depicted as an "all-knowing diety that can solve all of the worlds problems." He's surprisingly incorruptible in spite of his power, but by default he is usually depicted with human intelligence and flaws countered by a strong sense of morality. Many problems exist in the DC universe despite being the home of Superman.

That aside, I actually think it was an inspired idea to use the sequel to MoS to address it's biggest flaw, though I don't believe it was executed well. I don't buy for a second that this was the intention when the film makers made MoS, and doubt any of them have made such a claim. While BvS may have carried over some themes from MoS, any thematic concepts in MoS were in service of that narrative alone.

I disagree here. While I was a bit strong in my wording, the general depiction of Superman (and superheroes in general, but Superman and batman are the worst ones at this) is one who knows exactly what to do at the right time to solve whatever issue or crisis they are having. This is the nature of comic books, the good guys win, and they do so by being awesome. Whenever our hero faces a dilemma that would confound most us, they use their fantastic wit and powers to find a way. And that's great, that's awesome! Like Grant Morrison said, Superman is that one guy who will never let you down, who despite insurmountable odds will always find a way to save the day, either through wit or brawn. If Superman wasn't real, we'd have to invent him! He's a shining beacon for anyone to follow, because he instinctively knows what's right and wrong. "There is a right and a wrong in this universe. And that distinction is not hard to make." He's the eternal example for which we should all strive. He's, as a rule, portrayed as the wise fatherly figure that always knows what words to say or what to do to make things better. Exceptions to this exist of of course, like Ennis's story in Hitman, but they are not the norm. He's a power fantasy.

MoS eschews this unrealistic power fantasy in favor of a more nuanced portrayal. In fact that was a major source of criticism from fans, that Superman in MoS was too ineffectual at limiting collateral damage and saving innocent people. If he was the "real" Superman, he would have used his heat vision to destroy debris and his superspeed to turn back time and save Jenny or whatever.
This is not by accident, but by design. I mean for gods sake, they evoked 9/11 imagery to really hammer home and emphasize the collateral damage here. That wasn't by happenstance. Whether or not they anticipated the enormous backlash against that decision is unclear, but they were certainly aware of what they were doing.
Or maybe you mean that they didn't plan on using it as a hook for the sequel? In which case you might be right, but clearly they saw that they hit a nerve with it and decided to stick with that for the sequel.

glitchwraith posted:

I admitted as much that Bruce's dream supported his characterization and, at least initially, the movies themes. What I'm arguing is that the foreshadowing elements simply don't make sense within the context or plot of BvS, is confusing to both general audiences and comic fans, and distracts from the themes of the movie. After the scene, I wasn't contemplating Bruce's fears, but instead was wondering what the bug people and armored guy was all about.

If all they wanted to do is foreshadow Darkseid, they picked a very strange way to do it, especially since they later establish Lex Luthor has some knowledge of him. I see the Arthurian symbolism and how it will carry over into Justice League, but it seems like they didn't have the time to establish why Batman would "gather the knights of the round table", and that the dream was either added or modified to that end at the expense of the current movies themes and plot. In any case, the end result is a confusing and muddled script.

Arguably those bugs play into Batmans xenophobia. Aliens murdering his friends and allies and all that. If you find it distracting though :shrug:
The why of Batmans quest to gather the knights has already been discussed earlier, so I won't be rehashing that discussion.
Edit:

glitchwraith posted:

It's possible for people to perfectly understand a movie, and still find it bad or flawed. I'd argue the many professional critics who negatively reviewed the movie fall into this category. Your allowed to disagree, but assuming people only hate the movie because they don't understand it is not arguing in good faith.

Ah, I think you misunderstand my post. I was speaking very broadly, and had in mind a few posts I've read here and there about the movie when I wrote that post. I didn't mean to imply in absolute terms that if you disliked the movie you didn't "get it" or that you're dumb, as that would be asinine, and never been my viewpoint.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't think they'll be bored, it's hilarious and flies at a mile a minute. Any reference to old stuff is still pretty funny without context and doesn't distract from the movie I don't think.

Seriously, I keep looking to my right in hopes of seeing the 3 dots on Riker's collar but I just can't seem to break this time loop.

Because of your bad posting, you've been sent to forums hell. And I'm the devil :nolan:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My 6 year old nephew asked me what my favorite joke in the movie is, but I don't want to explain that one to him so I said it's Batman's computer password.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

My 6 year old nephew asked me what my favorite joke in the movie is, but I don't want to explain that one to him so I said it's Batman's computer password.

Tell me tell me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why does Cate Blanchett look so much like Liv Tyler in that shot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Tell me tell me

Well you see, in most English speaking nations, the word 'dick' is a colloquial term for penis. It is also an out-of-fashion diminutive of the name Richard. Bruce Wayne humorously assumes the orphans mean the former definition when they use it to refer to Richard Grayson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Why does Cate Blanchett look so much like Liv Tyler in that shot?

How do you know that's Cate Blanchett?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

zoux posted:

How do you know that's Cate Blanchett?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Well you see, in most English speaking nations, the word 'dick' is a colloquial term for penis. It is also an out-of-fashion diminutive of the name Richard. Bruce Wayne humorously assumes the orphans mean the former definition when they use it to refer to Richard Grayson.

I meant the password! :mad:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 8, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every headline on that magazine cover makes me irl mad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

SOOOO GOOD

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Another awesome thing about Lego Batman is how like, obviously the most powerful strength of Legos is building awesome machines, but even with that in mind they really knocked it out of the park with incredible designs for the batjet and batmobile (and everything in between, but especially those).

I don't think this is a spoiler since it's in the trailers, but Batman's batjet has wings that can "flap" as it flies and when it lands on the ground, it looks and crawls around like a real bat, and it's amazing. Best batjet ever.

I think when future movies and tv shows come out with their designs for the batjet and batmobile, they should be compared with the Lego Batman designs in addition to the other previous Batman movies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

The gently caress is wrong about The Americans?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

FAT BATMAN posted:

Another awesome thing about Lego Batman is how like, obviously the most powerful strength of Legos is building awesome machines, but even with that in mind they really knocked it out of the park with incredible designs for the batjet and batmobile (and everything in between, but especially those).

I don't think this is a spoiler since it's in the trailers, but Batman's batjet has wings that can "flap" as it flies and when it lands on the ground, it looks and crawls around like a real bat, and it's amazing. Best batjet ever.

I think when future movies and tv shows come out with their designs for the batjet and batmobile, they should be compared with the Lego Batman designs in addition to the other previous Batman movies.

I loved the Scuttler so much I went out and impulse-bought it after seeing Lego Batman. It's not the type of vehicle you'd typically expect from Batman but it just works, and it was a blast to build.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

The gently caress is wrong about The Americans?

The Americans may be one of the best five shows of all time, but that tag in the headline is TRASH.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

I disagree here. While I was a bit strong in my wording, the general depiction of Superman (and superheroes in general, but Superman and batman are the worst ones at this) is one who knows exactly what to do at the right time to solve whatever issue or crisis they are having. This is the nature of comic books, the good guys win, and they do so by being awesome. Whenever our hero faces a dilemma that would confound most us, they use their fantastic wit and powers to find a way. And that's great, that's awesome! Like Grant Morrison said, Superman is that one guy who will never let you down, who despite insurmountable odds will always find a way to save the day, either through wit or brawn. If Superman wasn't real, we'd have to invent him! He's a shining beacon for anyone to follow, because he instinctively knows what's right and wrong. "There is a right and a wrong in this universe. And that distinction is not hard to make." He's the eternal example for which we should all strive. He's, as a rule, portrayed as the wise fatherly figure that always knows what words to say or what to do to make things better. Exceptions to this exist of of course, like Ennis's story in Hitman, but they are not the norm. He's a power fantasy.

MoS eschews this unrealistic power fantasy in favor of a more nuanced portrayal. In fact that was a major source of criticism from fans, that Superman in MoS was too ineffectual at limiting collateral damage and saving innocent people. If he was the "real" Superman, he would have used his heat vision to destroy debris and his superspeed to turn back time and save Jenny or whatever.
This is not by accident, but by design. I mean for gods sake, they evoked 9/11 imagery to really hammer home and emphasize the collateral damage here. That wasn't by happenstance. Whether or not they anticipated the enormous backlash against that decision is unclear, but they were certainly aware of what they were doing.
Or maybe you mean that they didn't plan on using it as a hook for the sequel? In which case you might be right, but clearly they saw that they hit a nerve with it and decided to stick with that for the sequel.

I meant the latter, that they didn't expect the backlash to the destruction much less plan ahead of time to use it as a sequel hook.

I don't disagree with anything in your first paragraph, but do have to ask why anyone would want to write or adapt a superhero if your not interested in power fantasy. That's what superheros always are, by definition. You have to either own that or deconstruct it, but the latter seems inappropriate for adapting Superman. In MoS, however, I don't think that was the intent. Yes, they try to make Superman more unsure of himself and human, but that's to give him a character arc that ends with the Superman we know and love. (Granted, that's needlessly extended for BvS, but I've expressed those criticisms enough already.) The destruction and collateral damage seemed less like a commentary on power and more them leaning into the sci-fi and alien invasion genres. In the end, it still becomes a power fantasy, as shown by positive scenes of him getting back at the trucker or destroying spy drones.

I feel the destruction might not have been as much of a problem if not for how the movie is paced. Most of MoS is devoted to the origin story, so in order to get to Zod and the invasion, things have to immediately escalate after Superman puts on the cape for the first time. He barely learns to fly before he's dealing with an army of Kryptonians and a doomsday device. There is no time for a proper introduction to the public, or the rescuing of individuals, or any of the classic Superman moments which have become cliched but are none the less loved. I feel a better script could have worked a little of this into the movie without sacrificing the overall character arc and themes. I also feel BvS has similar pacing problems with even worse results.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grandmaster: Thor, uh, needs to be ripped limb from limb. And the Hulk... well, if there's one thing that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has taught us, it's that the Hulk cannot be contained. The Hulk breaks free, it expands to new territories, even to new realms in space. The Hulk crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but... uh, well... there it is.

Hela: You're implying that assembling an arena full of super-humans, monsters, and gods from the Nine Realms to fight to the death will... backfire on us?

Grandmaster: No. I'm simply saying that, uh, the Hulk, uh, the Hulk finds a way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man all the pictures from Ragnarok look delightfully colorful and full on Jack Kirby.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's up with this candid shot of Goldblum at home?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He looks like the front man for a really cool new wave band that's going on a reunion tour.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think he looks like a slightly eccentric college professor who just recently got really into David Bowie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think he looks like a slightly eccentric college professor who just recently got really into David Bowie.

I was going to say a Ziggy Stardust background extra

I'm excited for Thor 3 because of Goldblum and the Planet Hulk stuff, but Goldblum's look in that pic is pretty tame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Want Goldblum and del Toro to be in a scene together in Avengers 4.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So in other news Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have called off their divorce.
This is a good thing because I liked them as a couple and good things should happen to good people.

And secondly this makes sense particularly if Ben is suddenly iffy on doing a Batman movie. Ben learnt the lesson that Bruce Wayne has been taught so many times.

That being Batman means you always end up alone.
Apart from your Matt Damian "Wayne" Robin and Kevin "Alfred" Smith.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

So in other news Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have called off their divorce.
This is a good thing because I liked them as a couple and good things should happen to good people.
Does loving the nanny count as being "good people"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Does loving the nanny count as being "good people"?

I mean, obviously it's a terrible thing but making a terrible dumb mistake doesn't make you a bad person. Just means you did a bad dumb thing and you have to deal with the consequences of it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Panicing Marvel Studios Exec: Boss the Iron Fist reviews are out, everyone hates it!!!
Kevin Feige: *chuckles* Release the Goldblum

Electromax
May 6, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Panicing Marvel Studios Exec: Boss the Iron Fist reviews are out, everyone hates it!!!
Kevin Feige: *chuckles* Release the Goldblum

Seems like Feige might actually be lowkey happy if the TV arm stumbles, since that's where whats-his-face-recluse guy was banished after he got kicked off the movies?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

Seems like Feige might actually be lowkey happy if the TV arm stumbles, since that's where whats-his-face-recluse guy was banished after he got kicked off the movies?

I thought Perlmetter had gone to work for the White House.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

poo poo, how did they get a photo from my last Golblum orgy.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Perlmetter had gone to work for the White House.

No, because you see, he can totally do both at once!

(I was so hoping Marvel would be rid of that shitheel when Trump was elected, but I guess that's what I get for not realizing a man who's given millions to Trump and assorted PACs would find a way to keep control and pick up a new pay check).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

More Thor photos:

• Locked thread