Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Marshall deal was a no-brainer for both sides. There's the added benefit that Marshall may be able to rein in OBJ's headass behavior

This will be a good team again next season, maybe great if they find a pass-catching TE in the draft and fix the line. Playcalling needs a tune up as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The Patriots are going to low-ball every big name they're connected with in free agency/trade rumors and sign none of them.

Then they're going to sign like 1,000 scrubs nobody cares about.

If 1-2 of them turn into nice role players everyone will declare them personnel super-geniuses again.

If they don't then everyone will forget the Patriots 2017 off-season ever happened at all.

That's pretty much how this works 90% of the time. :patssay:

This is incredibly depressing and probably accurate.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Darrelle Revis, Peyton Manning, Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Charles Woodson, Anquan Boldin, and a whole bunch of B-tier guys.

He might mean "free agency player" in the sense of teams that are big players in free agency?

Otherwise, yeah, there have been a bunch of individual players who were big-name free agents that got rings on their new teams.

e:

Alter Ego posted:

This is incredibly depressing and probably accurate.

Yeah, the results have been a real train wreck for them lol. :haw:

Forever_Peace posted:

The risk that Brady falls off a cliff has got to change the calculus a bit, no?

What I'm saying is JCharles 4.5mil make it so.

People have been expecting the Patriots to sell out for one last push with Old Man Brady since Randy Moss left, and they keep not doing it, so I dunno.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 8, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Darrelle Revis, Peyton Manning, Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Charles Woodson, Anquan Boldin, and a whole bunch of B-tier guys.

Wood was considered washed up when the Packers picked him up.

sean10mm posted:

He might mean "free agency player" in the sense of teams that are big players in free agency?

Otherwise, yeah, there have been a bunch of individual players who were big-name free agents that got rings on their new teams.

Denver comes to mind.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

The Patriots are going to low-ball every big name they're connected with in free agency/trade rumors and sign none of them.

Then they're going to sign like 1,000 scrubs nobody cares about.

If 1-2 of them turn into nice role players everyone will declare them personnel super-geniuses again.

If they don't then everyone will forget the Patriots 2017 off-season ever happened at all.

That's pretty much how this works 90% of the time. :patssay:

I think that's underselling it a bit. They've traded for Bennett and Revis in the last three years.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/839491288940625920

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think that's underselling it a bit. They've traded for Bennett and Revis in the last three years.

Revis was a big exception, absolutely. He was still an elite player and it was a real HOLY poo poo moment. He was the 10% exception I was thinking of. Browner was still well thought of when they picked him up that year, too.

Bennett isn't in Revis's category as a free agent move though. He was a nice 1 year rental of a good but not elite player.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Glennon & Cousins chat had me thinking of how bad Cousins was when he first entered the league.

Glennon in his 13 starts in 2013:

59.4% completion %; 19/9 TD/Int; & 6.3 Y/A

Cousins in his 9 starts between 2012 and 2014:

58.9% completion %; 14/15 TD/Int; & 7.5 Y/A

Both didn't have much talent around them those years.

So Glennon might be decent in the right situation (same as Kirk)?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Carlosologist posted:

The Marshall deal was a no-brainer for both sides. There's the added benefit that Marshall may be able to rein in OBJ's headass behavior

This will be a good team again next season, maybe great if they find a pass-catching TE in the draft and fix the line. Playcalling needs a tune up as well

The TE wouldn't even have to be that good. Just a fat guy who takes up space in the middle of the field like we had with Jake Ballard.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the results have been a real train wreck for them lol. :haw:

Fair point, but it would be nice to see 1-2 decent-sized names actually sign with the team this offseason.

Our luck has to run out eventually with the whole "sign the scrub squad and hope one of them works out" scheme.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Fair point, but it would be nice to see 1-2 decent-sized names actually sign with the team this offseason.

Our luck has to run out eventually with the whole "sign the scrub squad and hope one of them works out" scheme.

It's like a 15 year sample size dude, I think we're OK being complacent about it now.

Until Brady dies of old age and/or Belichick retires, then it's probably going to be like staring into an open sewer connected to a buffalo wing eating contest, but whatever.

Nov 6, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

It works because many of the "scrubs" are being poorly utilized by bad coaching staffs.

I don't think that phenomenon is ever going to go away in the NFL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

LOL @ Luck. It's not luck pal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Forever_Peace posted:

The risk that Brady falls off a cliff has got to change the calculus a bit, no?

What I'm saying is JCharles 4.5mil make it so.

No, they rely on "we'll give you half the money the other guys are offering, but we'll give you a serious shot at a super bowl ring" to underpay everyone and surround Brady with better talent than they should be able to afford. It's just that they focus more on a broad level of talent than individual superstars (besides Brady and Gronk, and Gronk is exactly why they're sort of wary of big spending on one guy: a single injury means a lot of your investment is gone for that year).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Welp, guess I better get started trying to memorize the spelling.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I want to make a joke about how Marshall will be a positive influence on ODBJ's temperament, but Marshall hasn't gotten in trouble since his Denver days, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

a new study bible! posted:

I want to make a joke about how Marshall will be a positive influence on ODBJ's temperament, but Marshall hasn't gotten in trouble since his Denver days, right?

No, he just misses the playoffs every year which hopefully will continue.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

No, they rely on "we'll give you half the money the other guys are offering, but we'll give you a serious shot at a super bowl ring" to underpay everyone and surround Brady with better talent than they should be able to afford. It's just that they focus more on a broad level of talent than individual superstars (besides Brady and Gronk, and Gronk is exactly why they're sort of wary of big spending on one guy: a single injury means a lot of your investment is gone for that year).

They're also less concerned about having an OMG BEST EVER team this year, than they are with having very good teams every year, over and over. They repeatedly do things that theoretically make them worse in the short term (with "worse" still meaning "totally making the playoffs") if it puts them in a better long-term position in terms of cap space/draft picks/whatever. There was no justifying moving Jones and Collins if you only looked at what it did to the 2016 team, for instance, but now they have a 5th trophy and $60 million in cap space so whelp.

a new study bible! posted:

He supposedly had some locker room issues with the Jets last season, but that team was in complete meltdown anyway so I don't know that I'd make much of it.

mcmagic posted:

No, he just misses the playoffs every year which hopefully will continue.

Because pinning the Jets missing the playoffs on Marshall totally makes sense lol.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Can I be hopeful that Pryor remains in Cleveland now that the Steelers said thanks/no thanks and Philly and NYG have signed receivers? That is 3 of the 5 teams that were linked with him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Because pinning the Jets missing the playoffs on Marshall totally makes sense lol.

Actually they were a dropped TD by him away from making the playoffs in 2015.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

He supposedly had some locker room issues with the Jets last season, but that team was in complete meltdown anyway so I don't know that I'd make much of it.

There was something else that happened around the end of his time in Miami, I remember the trade making a lot more sense for some reason or other.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Fitz threw three picks in the fourth quarter.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

^^^ :argh:

mcmagic posted:

Do you mean the Buffalo game where Fitzpatrick threw 3 picks and had a passer rating of like 43, and Marshall had 126 yards and a touchdown?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

Fitz threw three picks in the fourth quarter.

maybe marshall should have been catching those balls instead of the other team, hmm????????

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Do you mean the Buffalo game where Fitzpatrick threw 3 picks and had a passer rating of like 43, and Marshall had 126 yards and a touchdown?

If he doesn't drop a TD it's a completely different game and the Jets probably win easily and don't have to throw the ball so much trying to come back in the 4th quarter. He was terrific for the Jets that season but that drop did in fact, happen.

Nov 6, 2002

This also happened in fact:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If he doesn't drop a TD it's a completely different game and the Jets probably win easily and don't have to throw the ball so much trying to come back in the 4th quarter. He was terrific for the Jets that season but that drop did in fact, happen.

Yeah, being down by 2 whole points at the end of the 3rd really forces you to abandon the run, I'm sure.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This also happened in fact:

Yeah, that's still hilarious. :laugh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, being down by 2 whole points at the end of the 3rd really forces you to abandon the run, I'm sure.

Yeah, that's still hilarious. :laugh:

They should've been up 5.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/839505464102645761

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not surprised by that at all. I could see a team willing to pay $5m and hoping, but then the stuff from his camp was like he was expecting a multi-year deal at $10m+ and you guys know he's 32 right?

Here's the list of 32+ y/o running backs to rush for 1200 yards:

John Riggins '83 - 1347, at 3.59 YPC
Walter Payton '86 - 1333, at 4.15 YPC
John Riggins '84 - 1239 at 3.79 YPC

So 3 times, over 30 years ago, and two of them you wouldn't even really want.

You can add another like 8 guys who did 1000+ yards, but most of those years are definitely not worth $10m.

Also, the successful older backs tended to be good receivers, and Adrian is not much of a receiver.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
#itsabucslife

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/839509096772616192

Ian Rapaport suggests Glennon to the Bears is a done deal. Why other teams have moved on from him.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/839509575413940224

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

:stare:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I literally can't think of a more awkward way to put that tweet together.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

are they converting him to QB?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You have to parse what he's actually saying.

That probably means something like a $10m signing bonus and a $6m base salary in year one on what's realistically a 3 year deal, so ~$9m cap hit.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I feel even better about the Marshall contract.

Are you able to structure deals where you can make 16m, 8m, 8m over 3 years as an example? I know SF is flush with cash but are there limits to increases/decreases in AAV like the NBA?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Not surprised by that at all. I could see a team willing to pay $5m and hoping, but then the stuff from his camp was like he was expecting a multi-year deal at $10m+ and you guys know he's 32 right?

Here's the list of 32+ y/o running backs to rush for 1200 yards:

John Riggins '83 - 1347, at 3.59 YPC
Walter Payton '86 - 1333, at 4.15 YPC
John Riggins '84 - 1239 at 3.79 YPC

So 3 times, over 30 years ago, and two of them you wouldn't even really want.

You can add another like 8 guys who did 1000+ yards, but most of those years are definitely not worth $10m.

Also, the successful older backs tended to be good receivers, and Adrian is not much of a receiver.

I suppose on the bright side he hasn't been used a whole lot the last few years, but the most successful guy I can think of like that was Marcus Allen and he never ran for more than 900 yards after he was 32, with 207 being his highest carry year. He did get 46 TDs after that though, which is pretty impressive.

Curtis Martin ran for almost 1700 yards at 31 (a career high even) but then retired after putting up 735 yards in his 32 year old season.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kalli posted:

You have to parse what he's actually saying.

That probably means something like a $10m signing bonus and a $6m base salary in year one on what's realistically a 3 year deal, so ~$9m cap hit.

Oh ok, good. This will bode well then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/839503564212944896

Ehhhhhh I mean I like Bouye a lot but I don't think I'd go over $12m AAV for him and that's supposedly the floor for the offers he's received

• Locked thread