Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dante80 posted:

You can explain said quote by him simply being on team red. Even back in the day where the Athlon 64 ran circles around P4, the weapon of choice was the superlative NV 6600GT (or higher). I remember using a gainward golden sample card, and OCing through the roof with it.

Though the year before that would have been the one time an AMD+ATI was the right call, an Athlon 64 plus ATI 9000 (because that was the year of the Dustbuster lol).

But the idea that all AMD is better because the CPU and GPU are somehow "optimized" to work with each other is dumb. Being a fan of any company, AMD intel or nvidia, is dumb. They're a corporation, they're not your friend. Anyone that needs validation that they made the "right choice" with their gear through fanboyism, probably should be buying less crap.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Well yeah sure, and I've said before in thread its probably not worth getting Ryzen if you already have Haswell or newer unless you need lots of threads. edit: If you're in the market though for a new CPU and coming from a much older one (ie. Sandy Bridge) it still seems to hold up real well vs the 7700K or 6900 to me.

Yeah, like I'm on Ivy and waiting for the next set of Ryzens to come out before I decide what to do for my next desktop. Let the launch performance weirdness settle out, and see what the $200-250 competition looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

so am I the only one ITT using 2560x1600?

2560x1600 on my desktop, 2560x1700 on my laptop, works pretty great!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What laptop is that?

I asked with drool totally not coming out of my mouth haha I swear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 2015 chomebook pixel. i7-5500u, 16gb ram, 10 hours of battery life, 2560x1700 at about 12.5"

Google doesn't sell them anymore :rip:

The extra height is the loving best btw, don't believe idiots who say 16:9 is fine at 1440p+, more is still better.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Toalpaz posted:

Uhg... My cpu gets to my place this Friday. My Taichi is still on pre-order, despite being 'released' on March second. I dunno, for some time it was displaying March ninth, I'm not sure why it bounced back to the second. It looks like I won't be able to build my system until the seventeenth, assuming my mobo ships by this Friday.

I ended up ordering the killer instead of the taichi because I saw it pop into stock on newegg while I was browsing x370 boards. Hopefully I don't miss any of the things that I could have gotten with the taichi, but at least all of my stuff should be here by friday :D

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Truga posted:

I have a 2015 chomebook pixel. i7-5500u, 16gb ram, 10 hours of battery life, 2560x1700 at about 12.5"

Google doesn't sell them anymore :rip:

The extra height is the loving best btw, don't believe idiots who say 16:9 is fine at 1440p+, more is still better.

Eugh, I knew it was too good to be true. I have mourned the Chromebook Pixel in my own way. Hopefully the Samsung Chromebook pro/plus will satisfy that niche even though they're probably not as nice just build wise.

That benchmark article posted earlier was interesting, I wonder if the timing issues were impacting benches positively or negatively.

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

I ended up ordering the killer instead of the taichi because I saw it pop into stock on newegg while I was browsing x370 boards. Hopefully I don't miss any of the things that I could have gotten with the taichi, but at least all of my stuff should be here by friday :D

Looks like NCIX has the Killer in stock right now, but they're charging ~$80 more than Newegg. I'm committed to getting my goofy rear end yin yang motherboard at this point either way.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Klyith posted:

Though the year before that would have been the one time an AMD+ATI was the right call, an Athlon 64 plus ATI 9000 (because that was the year of the Dustbuster lol).

But the idea that all AMD is better because the CPU and GPU are somehow "optimized" to work with each other is dumb. Being a fan of any company, AMD intel or nvidia, is dumb. They're a corporation, they're not your friend. Anyone that needs validation that they made the "right choice" with their gear through fanboyism, probably should be buying less crap.

Yeah, like I'm on Ivy and waiting for the next set of Ryzens to come out before I decide what to do for my next desktop. Let the launch performance weirdness settle out, and see what the $200-250 competition looks like.

Just lol if anyone here had a 5800 ultra instead of a 9800 pro.

Arzachel posted:

Zen isn't literally CPU Jesus.

When Intel is selling the same 4c8t setup nearly 10 years after the q6600, yes it is. It hit good enough ST IPC and is priced aggressively against the intel stack. It should push prices down and potentially force Intel to offer similar products at lower prices. Competition is CPU Jesus.

eames
May 9, 2009

a poster over at the unraid forums is reporting that all the virtualization features work fine out of the box, including IOMMU PCIe passthrough of two graphics cards to two different VMs using a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5. Sounds pretty promising.

The combination of 8C/16T + ECC + fully working virtualization is unbeatable for the money.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Seamonster posted:

so am I the only one ITT using 2560x1600?

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just lol if anyone here had a 5800 ultra instead of a 9800 pro.

I didn't! :v:

I had a 5600 :eng99:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm p. sure 1600p users are the type to roll their own crypto

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Could someone explain what is bad/wrong with 16:10?

I use 1920x1200 since 2013 or so. My thinking for getting such a screen over a 1920x1080, was the extra height.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 8, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There is nothing wrong with it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dante80 posted:

Could someone explain what is bad/wrong with 16:10?

I use 1920x1200 since 2013 or so. My thinking for getting such a screen over a 1920x1080, was the extra height.

Nothing, it's better than widescreen for virtually everything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Nothing, it's better than widescreen for virtually everything*.

*except media consumption

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

get a TV

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evilweasel posted:

Nothing, it's better than widescreen for virtually everything.

Except games that enforce 16:9 and will give you black bars on 16:10, which I've run into.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Risky Bisquick posted:

I've got a TV monitor for movies and stuff.

Have not ever experienced a problem with games, except some pretty old 4:3 titles that I play from time to time (and I patch those anyway, here).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

http://valid.x86.fr/n3h37k :eng101:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Risky Bisquick posted:

What about older media in 4:3? Then it's better, the black bars are clearly smaller. What about older European films in 1.66:1? Better again!

A lot of films are in 2.39:1 anyway, and thus give black bars on most screens. If someone was then to show their super widescreen monitor off, a 4:3 movie or TV series is going to look pretty tiny on that thing.

vv Great point, in most films you get space for subtitles out of frame

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 8, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also (this may sound weird), I like even watching 16:9 movies/videos in that format too. I tend to use english subtitles in movies (subs > dubs), and the extra border on the bottom is a great place to..place them in VLC or GOM. <3

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 8, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
16:10 is great but the only 2560x1600 screens that exist are 30"

if you're getting a 30" screen just go for 4k

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Part of the benefit of 4k is having higher ppi. At 30" I'd want something around 5120x2880.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pryor on Fire posted:

I use 2880x1660 :colbert:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the nice thing about displays now is that you can pick the height, width and pixel density independently

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Measly Twerp posted:

Part of the benefit of 4k is having higher ppi. At 30" I'd want something around 5120x2880.

Viewing distance? I wouldn't take anything smaller than 32'' for 4k with 34-36'' being ideal.

I am talking no scaling however.

EDIT: There is a display thread in SHSC, so to get off this derail, what's the latest in BIOS/mobo updates since launch? Any improvements in native memory support?

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 8, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

the nice thing about displays now is that you can pick the height, width and pixel density independently

Not for ultrawides mind you, those are all 29" or 34" and low ppi. Which is odd, because the ultrawide format is great for productivity, yet the low ppi isn't.

Seamonster posted:

Viewing distance? I wouldn't take anything smaller than 32'' for 4k with 34-36'' being ideal.

I am talking no scaling however.

I use 2x scaling, but if you want to sit 2x as far away from your monitor, I guess that works too. I'm short sighted so I'd need to wear my glasses to do it.

Seamonster posted:

EDIT: There is a display thread in SHSC, so to get off this derail, what's the latest in BIOS/mobo updates since launch? Any improvements in native memory support?

I'll go see what I can dredge up from some dark places.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
A guy with very interesting hair talks about memory compatibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frw9HRwqODk

And here's a highish res die shot of Zen:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

There's a lot of aspect ratios used in movies, even modern ones. You can't avoid black bars.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Measly Twerp posted:

A guy with very interesting hair talks about memory compatibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frw9HRwqODk

That is actually a pretty interesting and informative video. If you're looking for higher clocking DRAM for Zen you should watch it. The tl&dw is there are only 3 mobo's right now that got a good shot at running DRAM that is clocked at 3200Mhz or higher and that GSkill actually had to do some real work on their DIMM's to make it work.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The point of 30" 2560x1600 is that for the longest time it was the only game in town. I bought mine in 2008 (and there are many older models too) and haven't been in a hurry to upgrade. The dpi is fine because you can use the monitor without crappy windows scaling, and games run better than on 4K. I still remember making a cardboard cutout for my 30" monitor. I had a 19" 1280x1024 screen before and it was the holiest holy poo poo-moment I've experienced with PC's.

I've been eyeballing 21:9 monitors and LG makes a 3840x1600 37,5" display. But only at 75Hz :negative: Next year's model comes hopefully with DP 1.3/1.4 which allows for 120Hz HDR on it. Then you just need a Vega or two with Freesync 2 and some HDR games... One can dream.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 8, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my monitor is over 8 years old. Best purchase I made, I swapped out all my other PC components multiple times, but the screen is still one of the best around. The backlight now takes a minute or so to go full bright when it's been off for a long time, but other than that it's still great. I'm hoping I don't have to replace it until VR is high enough resolution that I don't need it any more.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey guys, know what's a lovely resolution? 1680 x 1050. Dell E207WFP.

eames
May 9, 2009

Do you guys think we'll see unbuffered DDR4-3200+ ECC RAM anytime soon?

Crucial seems to offer fairly new and expensive DDR4-2666 ECC modules, that's about it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
ECC DRAM tends to lag regular old DRAM in speed significantly in release times. If someone like Micron is just releasing DDR4 2666 ECC DRAM I wouldn't expect to see DDR4 3200 ECC DRAM before the end of the year, maybe later.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Those old as balls Dell monitors were the best game in town for years and years back in the 2005-2008 timeframe. Especially for playing games at a solid 60 fps on graphics cards of that era.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

ECC DRAM tends to lag regular old DRAM in speed significantly in release times. If someone like Micron is just releasing DDR4 2666 ECC DRAM I wouldn't expect to see DDR4 3200 ECC DRAM before the end of the year, maybe later.

Pretty much, though I am looking forward to it for a shiny new virtualization box build as a Christmas present to myself.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those old as balls Dell monitors were the best game in town for years and years back in the 2005-2008 timeframe. Especially for playing games at a solid 60 fps on graphics cards of that era.

Last I checked, it's 2017.

Yes, I am typing out this post on this dead gay forum on this monitor in 2017. Kill me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Last I checked, it's 2017.

Yes, I am typing out this post on this dead gay forum on this monitor in 2017. Kill me.

I have a 1680×1050 Dell (2007WFP) still hooked up that I use as my second monitor. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Could be worse. You could be using some horrible sub-900 vertical pixel resolution trash like 1366x768 or 1280x800.

I outright refuse to buy any sort of new laptop that doesn't have like at least 1600x900 and really 1920x1080 minimum. It's unfortunate that so many laptops of all sorts of sizes still do the x768 poo poo. Maybe someone can just go burn down the factory that makes that specific resolution cheap so we can move on.

• Locked thread