Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dad gay. so what posted:

im just trying to help - ill take this back up later i need to go to the gym and then an AA meeting

I appreciate it. Have fun BFF. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is true. I guess it's the principle of the thing. Yeah, I can say these magic words and change them to whatever I want, but then what's the point at all.

a higher power can be anything other than yourself dipshit. you have proven you dont have any power. stop being so obtuse and surrender you shithead

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I appreciate it. Have fun BFF. :glomp:

ok see you later friend

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hello, I am a higher power.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\/\/\/\
All hail vendagoat

This is true. I guess it's the principle of the thing. Yeah, I can say these magic words and change them to whatever I want, but then what's the point at all.

edit: On second thought, you've got it all figured out. Proceed.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 7, 2017

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\
All hail vendagoat

Maybe if you spent a fraction of the time you spend thinking about how it doesn't work to how to actually absorbing any useful message, you'd make some progress.

Well no. That would make sense.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I believe in you Penny

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i dont think i can do sobriety for the time being im gonna try again when life is lesss shity

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
DGSW the tough but fair sponser

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I have not drank in a year and a half and have not smoked a weed in 4 months and I can't wait to smoke a weed again

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sintax posted:

I have not drank in a year and a half and have not smoked a weed in 4 months and I can't wait to smoke a weed again

Snort a fat line of K, that's livin'

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The conversation above is all too common in recovery situations - somebody finds something that works for them and it becomes the way, the truth, and the light, and all other paths are false. People get defensive because any disagreement with their method of recovery is perceived as an attack on it, and by extension an attack on themselves.

I'm not really going to weigh in one way or another on marijuana use, and just want to congratulate you on getting a full week out from drinking.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you're honestly drinking to self medicate it's way easier to treat the underlying problems and then quit drinking. I finally found an antidepressant that is doing its job and since then I haven't felt that pressure to get drunk in order to feel any kind of relaxation in the evening. I didn't even really have to try to quit drinking, and I haven't had more than a small glass of wine in the past two or three months. Just the thought of getting drunk again seems pretty miserable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

If you're honestly drinking to self medicate it's way easier to treat the underlying problems and then quit drinking. I finally found an antidepressant that is doing its job and since then I haven't felt that pressure to get drunk in order to feel any kind of relaxation in the evening. I didn't even really have to try to quit drinking, and I haven't had more than a small glass of wine in the past two or three months. Just the thought of getting drunk again seems pretty miserable.

Yeah but be careful because several of the antidepressant drugs they prescribe can gently caress you up if you drink on them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit:^^^^ I'm on an antidepressant soon to be two, one mood stabilizers, one anti-anxiety, and one antipsychotic. What I'm doing is very dumb.

I've been working on the underlying problems weekly with a therapist and psychiatrist for a few years. I do drink to self medicate, but it's stupid because the drinking probably counteracts all of the meds I'm on, so I want to continue drinking because they aren't doing anything. Try to follow my logic here guys (there isn't any).

Well at least I'm self aware enough to know I'm a loving moron. That's a good start.

And thanks CaptainSarcastic. The first few days were bad. Now I feel better but am a bit off the wall emotionally.... well more than your standard bipolar person is. I know I shouldn't use the weed as a crutch and I'm already starting to scale that back. As in, not smoke as much as I drink thinking that I'll get more and more hosed up. But rather having a few hits instead of a few bowls.

These aren't excuses or anything, I'm laying it all out right here and I'm aware of it. Babby steps.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 8, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah but be careful because several of the antidepressant drugs they prescribe can gently caress you up if you drink on them.

I've drank on SSRIs, NDRIs, atypical antidepressants, antipsycotics and stimulants. The only one that really made much of a difference was Effexor, but your mileage may vary.

edit:^^^^ I'm on an antidepressant soon to be two, one mood stabilizers, one anti-anxiety, and one antipsychotic. What I'm doing is very dumb.

I've been working on the underlying problems weekly with a therapist and psychiatrist for a few years. I do drink to self medicate, but it's stupid because the drinking probably counteracts all of the meds I'm on, so I want to continue drinking because they aren't doing anything. Try to follow my logic here guys (there isn't any).

Well at least I'm self aware enough to know I'm a loving moron. That's a good start.

I know exactly how you feel because I was in the same place. If I hadn't found something that finally worked well for me I'd still be drinking. Even knowing that alcohol was only making things worse in the long run wasn't really a big enough motivator to make me face being totally miserable.

i dont get Brian Eno
Dec 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
AA is garbage on a par with Homeopathy. It's a rubbish cult that hasn't changed since 1939.

Find an evidence based treatment that has actual science behind it.

Best of luck.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

dad gay. so what posted:

here, this is from silkworths original manuscript you dumbass bitch retard

Step eleven suggests prayer and meditation. Don't by~ shy on this matter of prayer. Better men than we are using it constantly. It works, if you have the proper attitude and work at it. It would be easy to be vague about this matter. Yet, we believe we can give you some definite and valuable suggestions.

When you awake tomorrow morning, look back over the day before. Were you resentful, selfish, dishonest, or afraid? Do you owe an apology? Have you kept something to yourself which should be discussed with another person at once? Were you kind and loving toward all? What could you have done better? Were you thinking of yourself most of the time? Or were you thinking of what you could do for others, of what you could pack into the stream of life? After you have faced yesterday, ask God's forgiveness for any wrong. Ask to be shown what to do. Thus you keep clean as you live each day.

Next, think about the twenty-four hours ahead. Consider your plans for the day. Before you begin, ask God to guide your thinking. Especially ask that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Then go ahead and use your common sense. There is nothing hard or mysterious about this. God gave you brains to use. Clear your thinking of wrong motives. Your thought life will be placed on a much higher plane.

This is just loving gay.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

if antidepressants are enough to fix your depression then you aint really depressedi n the first place

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

And thanks CaptainSarcastic. The first few days were bad. Now I feel better but am a bit off the wall emotionally.... well more than your standard bipolar person is. I know I shouldn't use the weed as a crutch and I'm already starting to scale that back. As in, not smoke as much as I drink thinking that I'll get more and more hosed up. But rather having a few hits instead of a few bowls.

These aren't excuses or anything, I'm laying it all out right here and I'm aware of it. Babby steps.

i aint lyin start doing fat lines of k youll feel real good till you run out of money

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSF3HviqlPk

This is about

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

skeletonotherkin posted:

This is just loving gay.

lmbo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tolkien minority posted:

if antidepressants are enough to fix your depression then you aint really depressedi n the first place

That's some solid logic you have going.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
love and tolerance is our code - BB pg 84

i hope you all die

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Person, you have become unginged. Now I will force my own book upon you, and then, perhaps, you may see a lord.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeluth posted:

Person, you have become unginged. Now I will force my own book upon you, and then, perhaps, you may see a lord.

grow up fuckhead

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stomped

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Everybody nowadays, believes in scores of assumptions for which there is good evidence, but no perfect visual proof. And does not science demonstrate that visual proof is the weakest proof? It is being constantly revealed, as mankind studies the material world, that outward appearances are not inward reality at all. To illustrate:

The prosaic steel girder is a mass of electrons whirling around each other at incredible speed. These tiny bodies are governed by precise laws, and these laws hold true throughout the material world. Science tells us so. We have no reason to doubt it. When, however, the perfectly logical assumption is suggested that underneath the material world, and life as we see it, there is an All Powerful, Guiding, Creative Intelligence, right there our perverse streak comes to the surface and we laboriously set out to convince ourselves it isn't so. We read wordy books and indulge in windy arguments, thinking we believe this universe needs no God to explain it. Were our contentions true, it would follow that life originated out of nothing, means nothing, and proceeds nowhere.

Instead of regarding ourselves as intelligent agents, spearheads of God's ever advancing Creation, we agnostics and atheists chose to believe that our human intelligence was the last word, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and end of all. Rather vain of us, wasn't it?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

did you fall off the wagon already dgsw or are you just crazy

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tolkien minority posted:

i aint lyin start doing fat lines of k youll feel real good till you run out of money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KZvMe6u9g&t=15s

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whats up dick

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 good dogs posted:

did you fall off the wagon already dgsw or are you just crazy

Probably the latter. But I'm pretty sure he means well so that's ok in my book.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*kicks in door* drinking is really fun, fuckos!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Piss de Bundy posted:

*kicks in door* drinking is really fun, fuckos!

nice try, idiot!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
for every beer u dont drink ill drink 4-maddox

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Probably the latter. But I'm pretty sure he means well so that's ok in my book.

He's hosed in the head but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat to him

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Beer is very nice I really enjoy it sobriety ain't for me

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe try having a single shed of self control idk

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpamalope posted:

Maybe try having a single shed of self control idk

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks - drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

dad gay. so what posted:

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks - drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.

Smidge of self control will fix that problem of posting rants about beer feelings. Just have a beer and relax forget about feeling things

• Locked thread