Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpamalope posted:

Smidge of self control will fix that problem of posting rants about beer feelings. Just have a beer and relax forget about feeling things

i cast you out. get behind me satan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
STAND BACK ALL YOU DEVILS!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TheSpamalope posted:

He's hosed in the head but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat to him

That's literally what I said in my quote. But you said it in a mean way.

Rude.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I really like coffee, so I understand addiction. Let me tell you about the day I tried to stop drinking coffee!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

satanic splash-back posted:

I really like coffee, so I understand addiction. Let me tell you about the day I tried to stop drinking coffee!

Oh no. Are you that person on facebook whose every other post is something about killing someone if they don't get their coffee or something about how they can't deal with xyz without coffee or whatever? :ohdear: I have one of those.

It's ok man. We're all in this together.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i hate mondays!!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

i hate mondays!!

mondays are definitely on my list.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mondays are definitely on my list.

i keep them on my calendar lol!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wow I never realized how crazy AA was until DGSW's posts.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV posted:

Wow I never realized how crazy AA was until DGSW's posts.

ya its pretty cool :cool:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully it all works out for the best and one day we can sit back with a bottle of jager and laugh about this whole silly situation

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I always got the most out of the mindfulness side classes than an actual AA meeting. But all the meetings I went too were masturbatory. Doing the steps with someone one on one was more helpful

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hardawn posted:

I always got the most out of the mindfulness side classes than an actual AA meeting. But all the meetings I went too were masturbatory. Doing the steps with someone one on one was more helpful

i go to hardcore biker meetings and step studies

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i took abunc of vyvanse today but my brain doctor says its good for me so im still sober technically

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hardawn posted:

The VA is really pushing mindfulness now. The VA is also quite slow on adapting treatments so they only do things that have real evidence behind them..... a few years after it's been proven. So yeah, that's something I am going to be working on with my therapist after I hopefully get stabilized some day. I'm reading about it as well. Not everything can be fixed by a pill (or a fistful in my case) and you really need to do the work on your own. That's the hard part when you have a broken brain.

Anyway, that's good advice.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Every time dgsw gets probated I worry he's going to relapse :(

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

If God is the guy who makes you quit drinking then why not instead ask him for the ability to drink in moderation?!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Gods a bad bitch

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Nonviolent J posted:

Gods a bad bitch

Which god?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

500 good dogs posted:

Every time dgsw gets probated I worry he's going to relapse :(

:(:hf::(

He's a force of nature, he just needs to be set free

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Day 10 in the works. I'm starting to do stuff again. Just little stuff like leaving the house for breakfast or something. Taking my benzos now that I'm not drinking is probably helping with that. I am still posting more in GBS than I ever have before though and that's usually a sign of depression for me. (i'm not lying)

Is anyone else working on sobriety or drinking/doing cool drugs less? Any successes?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well screw you guys then. <:mad:>

I want to drink right now. :( Must distract myself.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Keep at it man, you dont want the guilt of breaking your streak!

Drinking doesnt make you feel any better, and if it does its fleeting, just do push ups or star jumps or anything for endorphins, really helps

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah sure just start doing physical labour that'll help and won't even make you thirsty. How about you just have half a beer then it's not so bad and you can have the second half before bed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well screw you guys then. <:mad:>

I want to drink right now. :( Must distract myself.

I'm 3 days off of weed, if that counts! I stopped for all of January due to personal reasons (needed to be on-call for work and ready to run in at any moment) but went back in February because weed is cool. I'm going to try for some serious time at least, but I don't drink so weed was always great for social occasions where everyone else drinks and I don't want to be the only sober guy (parties suck when you're the only one not drinking), so there's a good chance I don't stop permanently. But no longer smoking every night/week seems like a good goal at least.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I broke.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

It's all good buddy, we try again in the morning?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Just remember that it's not a complete failure, no need to give up. In a week from now you'll be able to say you only drank once in the last two weeks and that's good poo poo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A misstep doesn't mean you haven't made progress. Don't lose sight of the good.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Me too, but I'm getting paid tomorrow. I'm gonna spend it on Thai food and beer.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
went to mardi gras, still sober. was fun af.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
oh poo poo dad gay is back, is it my birthday already?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 good dogs posted:

It's all good buddy, we try again in the morning?

I hope so. I'm not happy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 good dogs posted:

Just remember that it's not a complete failure, no need to give up. In a week from now you'll be able to say you only drank once in the last two weeks and that's good poo poo

You're a good person 500 good dogs. Seriously.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

That's not great dude; I really wish you were.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Try to give yourself some space to accept it. While it is reasonable to be disappointed, beating yourself up excessively is not productive, either. Of course neither would be taking it in a celebratory fashion. It's something that happened. Give yourself a little time. Hell, if you are dealing with emotional ramifications then writing them down might be a good idea. Journaling is very often a helpful exercise, and you might find it useful here.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

How you doing Penny?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's 4:00pm and I just woke up. I'm pretty disgusted and disappointed with myself. Of course I didn't just get a few, I bought and drank a 12 pack.

I don't know how I broke. Just too much emotion rushing back and I can't handle it. Up and down and up and down all in a single day. My meds can only do so much and I just want it to stop. I used to be on some more hardcore meds that really dumbed me down but I don't have those anymore.

I gotta find some sort of emergency thing to do when everything starts boiling over.

edit: I think I'm learning that loneliness is a big factor. Yes yes yes, lonely sad goon blah blah. I bought a house over a year ago and now I'm just a guy living in a space that is far too big than what I need. No noisy neighbors or parties or a broomstick for me poke my ceiling with. I need to get out more.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I gotta find some sort of emergency thing to do when everything starts boiling over.

:justpost:

But seriously, we're here for you man. Today is a new day, luckily a short one now. You got any hobbies or poo poo? Like video games or whatever? It's hard if you'd normally hobby and drink, but keeping your mind busy is important to maintaining your sanity and sobriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The urge was going on and off last night. One thing that actually helped was playing DCS World (a combat flight sim) with some goons last night. But right when we stopped the urge rushed back and I got beer immediately. Staying occupied is certainly helpful but sometimes it's difficult when you're really depressed and can't even do things that you enjoy. This is quite the conundrum and something I need to figure out.

• Locked thread