Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evernoob posted:

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

(would be quite a feat tho, if you're already traveling at a fraction of c)

Its trajectory would be slightly deflected, but it wouldn't be captured into an orbit. The star would have to be pretty loving massive to make the trajectory stop being hyperbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
It's a flawed book in some respects, but y'all should totally read Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora if you want pages of discussion about how hard it is to slow down interstellar objects moving at significant fractions of c.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Evernoob posted:

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

No. Because of conservation of energy, the potential energy at a certain height above the gravity well is conserved as kinetic energy (speed) as you travel inwards, and bled off in equal amounts as you travel out again. You would actually be going faster as you approached the star.

A slingshot maneuver takes advantage of a MOVING gravitational mass (i.e. Jupiter) to change a spacecraft's kinetic energy relative to their common orbital body (i.e. the Sun). Note: Kinetic energy is a relative value because speed is relative. Jupiter would lose as much kinetic energy as the spacecraft gains, but because of it's much larger mass, the effect is negligible.

Now if you're talking about aerobraking (i.e. using a body's atmosphere to slow down your craft)... well flying through a star's atmosphere is not a survivable event. If you had some sort of massive solar sail, that might work, depends on the numbers involved obviously.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 8, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

bitprophet posted:

It's a flawed book in some respects, but y'all should totally read Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora if you want pages of discussion about how hard it is to slow down interstellar objects moving at significant fractions of c.

I imagine it's roughly as difficult as speeding them up?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
de-acceleration is just acceleration on the opposite vector so even if you could somehow use the gravity well to slow down it wouldn't help you at all as the whole thing about acceleration is that you don't want to do it too rapidly; basically when you need to arrive at your destination at a manageable velocity you're gonna have to do a flip-and-burn maneuver unless you got protomolecule magic.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Bates posted:

I imagine it's roughly as difficult as speeding them up?

It would be much, much harder. You need to accelerate the mass of the fuel that contains as much potential energy as the object you want to slow down has kinetic energy up to the same speed as the object. The original object would have burned off most of its mass during its acceleration, gaining more acceleration as it depleted its mass. The chasing ship needs to accelerate to the same speed while carrying the objects original amount of fuel as dead weight.

That's just to reach the same speed, you would need even more because you need to go faster to close the distance, then deaccelerate to match velocities.

I am not smart enough to take into account relativity at all.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

If you have have fuel already on your ship, you need less fuel to slow it down because you don't have to slow down the fuel you were using to accelerate up to that point, plus you have less mass to slow down as you burn off your existing fuel mass.

Sending a vehicle out to grab and stop something though is harder.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

Miller in space.

Julie in space.

Miller and Julie, on Eros.

Diogo, he crush rear end to dust.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

bitprophet posted:

That's exactly what came to my mind as well.

I forget if they were out of fuel or just needed to slow down at the absolute maximum speed possible, but the multitudes of reverse slingshot maneuvers(?) that ship went through was insane.

I forget what that's called but reverse slingshot maneuvers sounds cool so I'll run with t.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cender posted:

That's exactly what came to my mind as well.

I forget if they were out of fuel or just needed to slow down at the absolute maximum speed possible, but the multitudes of reverse slingshot maneuvers(?) that ship went through was insane.

I forget what that's called but reverse slingshot maneuvers sounds cool so I'll run with t.

I'm going to hide the answer just in case because those are pretty big spoilers for late in the book: what happens is that the generation ship was originally accelerated using a laser near one of the gas giants, and they manage to make people in the solar system turn it back on because there isn't enough fuel to slow down all the way. But the laser is turned back on too late and the ship arrives in the solar system still going at 3% of the speed of light. So it has to spend a decade doing a bunch of reverse gravity assists around several planets in the system to shed the rest of its speed, starting with one around the sun (with a bonus flyby of Earth within the orbit of the moon). It's described as going "from the orbit of Neptune to the sun in 156 hours".

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When do the episodes usually become available for digital purchase?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

When do the episodes usually become available for digital purchase?

US-centric answer:

Next day (actually midnight PST). Or you buy Season Pass from iTunes or Amazon Prime, (the episodes are still available next day)

Of note, SyFy has all of season 1 and is putting Season 2 episodes up the next day. That's a good free alternative, but the video quality of purchased version iTunes and Amazon is some of the best digital download video I've seen compared to OKish on SyFy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I bought the full season through Amazon and once I happened to be up late and the ep popped up around 2am central time.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

drat so not tonight then. I've been reading book 4 and while it isn't as great as the others, it has me excited for the new episodes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

uber_stoat posted:

I bought the full season through Amazon and once I happened to be up late and the ep popped up around 2am central time.

Amazon is notoriously inconsistent about what time they release episodes purchased on a season pass. I've bought season passes before, and have had them sometimes at midnight, sometimes at 3am, sometimes not until noon the next day.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I don't get why they had to change up the Ganymede battle and Bobby's reaction so much.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Diogo, he crush rear end to dust

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think they updated the show's opening to show Deimos as debris orbiting Mars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dawes is such a dangerous piece of poo poo. I want him to die but I also don't want the actor to go away. Naomi also needs to get her poo poo together.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

A good poster posted:

Haha, they sure did.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A good poster posted:

They did. I like that we're getting the full intro every episode this year, the theme is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I don’t like how Bobby’s squad died thinking the UN Marines were the enemy. :smith:

In the book, they saw the UN Marines running from the monster and fought valiantly (but hopelessly) together against it.

It looks like I was right all along.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Man that accent really is the best.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was hoping him and serious lady would get that drink and we'd get to listen to a full scene of their accents

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
For some reason I thought this show went on hiatus after episode 5, got 2 episodes to blow through gently caress yesssssss.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This patch on Drummer’s suit references a passage in the Book of Mormon

Ether 12:33 posted:

And again, I remember that thou hast said that thou hast loved the world, even unto the laying down of thy life for the world, that thou mightest take it again to prepare a place for the children of men.

This scene makes me think that Bobbie’s suit video may yet exist. Or maybe the video fade‐out is just a cool effect.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/TinySpicyIberianchiffchaff.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PlaintiveMemorableHyrax.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/DishonestDifferentFlyingfish.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SnivelingEllipticalCapybara.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/MetallicDimAddax.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/ImpeccableWelloffGuppy.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/DeafeningBadHydatidtapeworm.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 9, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is there a gif of the blood misting out of her before it turns to snowflakes?

This episode was great. I had my trepidations about the actress playing Bobby but she wiped those all clear for me.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
OK now I really wish they had that little subplot about Bobbie's armor having an incompatible codec and to partially delay the 7th man reveal made it in. Because then at least it immediately revealed the existence of the alien beastie.

TV shows really like to keep the existence of aliens from the general public in-universe. Like, did the stargate project ever reveal the gates to the general public?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

gohmak posted:

This episode was great. I had my trepidations about the actress playing Bobby but she wiped those all clear for me.

Her acting seemed quite alot better than the previous episodes. Thorssen was excellent though.

According to the podcast, Terry Chen as Prax is excellent, and hell, I believe it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

1000 px wide

1920 px wide

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Last few minutes of the episode were a little tough to follow because the audio was out of sync.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

I would buy a lot of diacritic kits at the Tilde & Umlaut.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Three fucks in this episode, superb.

I am wondering how long they're going to drag out the alien thing, in the books by this point everybody in the system is fully aware of what happened in Eros. Probably not past the end of the season.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

TV shows really like to keep the existence of aliens from the general public in-universe. Like, did the stargate project ever reveal the gates to the general public?

Depends on which reality you speak of....
But no, the whole universe is aware of and uses Stargates as transportation. Only earth's general population is totally unaware of everything. Even after earth got attacked by aliens it was a "meteor shower"...

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Was that the first time Inaros Clan was mentioned? During Dawes OPA roll call.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I would buy a lot of diacritic kits at the Tilde & Umlaut.

lol if you don’t buy

Dovartex Pharma for all your medical needs

Golden Sun Holographic Travel

And Sundry Brand® sundries

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Was that tuvok playing the medical officer?
The beginning intro with the blood snow (snow blood?) was so well done.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

"A porterhouse, medium rare"

I like Bobbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Good scene where she mouthed off to the captain a bunch. She's ok. Its just still weird because in the books she was basically portrayed as looking and acting the same as Brienne of Tarth from GoT, and the power suits sounded more like fallout power armor. But she is doing a good job. This, overall, was a great episode.

I don't even remember who Dawes is, or why he matters?

• Locked thread