Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Was the captain going to dispense wisdom once an episode with his face hidden by a fence or something?

My hunch, ever since it was announced that Number One was going to be the main character, has been that the captain was going to eat it at some point relatively early in the series -- so they wouldn't technically be lying in the promotional material that the XO would be the focus of the show.

This was reinforced when they started announcing so many cast members of the crew of the USS Shenzhou; my thinking is that this young, unproven lieutenant commander of Discovery is forced into the captain's chair (especially since that chair has been one of their primary promo images) early into their bold mission of whatever the gently caress, but no one trusts her to be competent, so the Shenzhou is around to do a bunch of hand-holding.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby posted:

Almost two months after beginning production, Discovery has finally cast its captain.

And thus the entirely of my hope for Discovery is expended in one fell swoop. poo poo's gonna suck on fire, yo.

Also if his Captain isn't just Colonel Tavington complete with period dress I will be very sad.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Give Jason Isaacs a power donut and make the inevitable "torch passing" scene even more overt.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Timby posted:

My actual worry is that Isaacs bites it at the end of the premiere, thrusting an unprepared first officer into the captain's chair ("hur hur, Discovery has a double meaning, get it?"). That'll piss off women of color -- she won't just be the captain, some sort of poo poo has to force it.

And then people complain, and the alt-right goes, "SEE? THEY'RE NEVER HAPPY. JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

They could do literally anything and we'd get a bunch of idiotic thinkpieces and preloaded backlash. C'est le nerd. The real question is whether the creators will batten down the hatches and ride it out of if they'll tack into the wind and maybe get ripped to shreds. It's going to be rough going whatever they do, but I really hope they'll be able to resist the temptation to make the show Big and Important because Star Trek's progressive streak can be pretty cringe inducing. Making A Statement may have gotten us some solid antiwar messages, impressive denunciations of hate and bigotry, and groundbreaking interracial/same sex kisses, but they also gave us Riker's "androgynous' love interest, wacky GMO mental patients, holographic slave revolts, Quark in a dress, and, most recently, a really pissed off George Takei. Heaven only knows how that poo poo will play out in the Buzzfeed era.

So that worries me a bit, but not as much as this:

deadline posted:

Star Trek: Discovery, whose premiere has been pushed twice, is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers.

That's 8 loving EPs. Even by hollywood standards, that poo poo just don't add up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

Also if his Captain isn't just Colonel Tavington complete with period dress I will be very sad.

I still want a space opera where everyone's wearing old sailing ship uniforms:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Really surprised no one has made a terrible, abortive Honor Harrington series yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duckbag posted:

They could do literally anything and we'd get a bunch of idiotic thinkpieces and preloaded backlash. C'est le nerd. The real question is whether the creators will batten down the hatches and ride it out of if they'll tack into the wind and maybe get ripped to shreds
Yeah, worrying over what the Nazi Frog League will do is stupid because it'll be the same poo poo no matter what happens. That said, isn't it entirely possible that they're going to shoot the entire season in one run before releasing it, so they wouldn't be ABLE to 'change directions' that quickly? Isn't that how most Netflix-run series go?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

Really surprised no one has made a terrible, abortive Honor Harrington series yet.

Yeah, I would think that Tom Clancy In Space would play well with the right editing.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah, worrying over what the Nazi Frog League will do is stupid because it'll be the same poo poo no matter what happens. That said, isn't it entirely possible that they're going to shoot the entire season in one run before releasing it, so they wouldn't be ABLE to 'change directions' that quickly? Isn't that how most Netflix-run series go?

Maybe, but in the past they've talked about a week to week release schedule. Also, call my naive, but I'm still not ruling out it getting a second season.

There's also the ever present possibility that they'll retool based on internet murmurs before the show is even out. It's happened before.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, maybe?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The proper response to the kind of criticism we have on the internet now is for writers to just keep doing what they're doing. So much criticism isn't knowledgeable or in good faith, so it's not "criticism" in the traditional use of the word in filmmaking, but more like how bullies in a schoolyard are offering "criticism" of their victims. These people aren't Roger Ebert. They are dumb assholes that are going to complain before, during, and after the fact, often irrelevantly, whether the show makes changes or not. I realize that this entire thread is about making fun of Star Trek, but I feel like we're at least making an effort to understand a little bit of filmmaking and are making honest critiques with no reward for being the biggest rear end in a top hat. SA isn't the rest of the internet, and saying dumb, outrageous poo poo here doesn't get you more clicks and ad revenue. What we do here is for our own consumption. I guess my point is that filmmakers shouldn't pay any attention to any "critic" whose modus operandi is "let's see who can be the loudest, stupidest rear end in a top hat." Call me elitist, but they should just listen to professional critics educated in filmmaking.

:swoon:

Also, get with the program there, Ensign Whatsherface. Did you not get the memo? It's Riker's birthday, so come prepared. You're like that one kid on School Pride Day that forgets and wears a plain t-shirt.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Railing Kill posted:

The proper response to the kind of criticism we have on the internet now is for writers to just keep doing what they're doing. So much criticism isn't knowledgeable or in good faith, so it's not "criticism" in the traditional use of the word in filmmaking, but more like how bullies in a schoolyard are offering "criticism" of their victims. These people aren't Roger Ebert. They are dumb assholes that are going to complain before, during, and after the fact, often irrelevantly, whether the show makes changes or not. I realize that this entire thread is about making fun of Star Trek, but I feel like we're at least making an effort to understand a little bit of filmmaking and are making honest critiques with no reward for being the biggest rear end in a top hat. SA isn't the rest of the internet, and saying dumb, outrageous poo poo here doesn't get you more clicks and ad revenue. What we do here is for our own consumption. I guess my point is that filmmakers shouldn't pay any attention to any "critic" whose modus operandi is "let's see who can be the loudest, stupidest rear end in a top hat." Call me elitist, but they should just listen to professional critics educated in filmmaking.

No, you're 100% right here.

Outraged Internet people have driven discussion into realms of complete stupidity. People will absolutely find something to complain about, because that's the time we live in.

I'm not a professional critic and I don't have any illusion that my opinion actually matters. Well, for much of anything, really. I just hope Discovery will be a good show. What I've been hearing is kind of concerning.

I feel like these days, we need Star Trek more than ever. People have gotten so enraged, divided and downright crazy. And it's not any one particular group, mind you. People are practically begging for blood.

I like Jean Luc-Picard because he's a diplomat. He's not a warrior. He's a peace-maker. He goes to worlds where people absolutely hate each other and tries to help them get along. He's willing to make compromises and admit when he's wrong, but always stays true to his own integrity. To him, the ends don't justify the means.

I miss that guy. I wish he was real and could come to our planet and talk some sense into the people here. :smith:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Only if they get the ranks right this time around. Neither Riker nor Troi should have two epaulettes. And even one is questionable, since they are Commanders, but don't command a ship. And Data as Lt. Commander shouldn't even look at the gold tassels of one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Decius posted:

Only if they get the ranks right this time around. Neither Riker nor Troi should have two epaulettes. And even one is questionable, since they are Commanders, but don't command a ship. And Data as Lt. Commander shouldn't even look at the gold tassels of one.

You're operating under the assumption that the uniforms have a solid basis in reality beyond "the costume designer saw Horatio Hornblower once and thought this would look cool."

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, you're 100% right here.

Outraged Internet people have driven discussion into realms of complete stupidity. People will absolutely find something to complain about, because that's the time we live in.

I'm not a professional critic and I don't have any illusion that my opinion actually matters. Well, for much of anything, really. I just hope Discovery will be a good show. What I've been hearing is kind of concerning.

I feel like these days, we need Star Trek more than ever. People have gotten so enraged, divided and downright crazy. And it's not any one particular group, mind you. People are practically begging for blood.

I like Jean Luc-Picard because he's a diplomat. He's not a warrior. He's a peace-maker. He goes to worlds where people absolutely hate each other and tries to help them get along. He's willing to make compromises and admit when he's wrong, but always stays true to his own integrity. To him, the ends don't justify the means.

I miss that guy. I wish he was real and could come to our planet and talk some sense into the people here. :smith:

Nah, he just likes racing around on dune buggies.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nah, he just likes racing around on dune buggies.

Who doesn't?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
After watching Patrick Stewart's performance on Extras I imagine him being incredibly blind to his character which fits in with what I've heard about the dune buggies.

"I feel that Jean-Luc's role to his crewmembers is that of...a frat brother. Not the leader necessarily, but one of the elder frat brothers who's just one of the bros as they say. Always in the back room during the party, doing the more serious drugs...but in a responsible measured manner. He's found a niche in life which is more than most could ask for, and while he doesn't intend to die young he's certainly considered that risk. I always play the role of Jean-Luc under the assumption that he is...constantly smashing the puss of every female crewmember aboard the Enterprise."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think by the movies he was just super checked out and couldn't care anymore about this dumb laser poo poo.

"Look, I'll only do another one if you let me dune buggy around."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Patrick Stewart is a British redneck.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

We expect too much from actors. They are generally not heroes, they just play one on TV.

For some reason my mental picture of Patrick Stewart has for a while now been of him as Sejanus from "I Claudius". Probably just the novelty of seeing him with hair on his head.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 8, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But a progressive.

He is a beautiful human enigma

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well he is from the North of England, which is like the American South in that the people act friendlier and have a different accent.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I finally saw Star Trek Beyond and I enjoyed it despite all the bees being essentially pod racers in space and Kirk's ridiculous transporting motorcycle.

I enjoyed the fan service deep cuts, as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFipAtefUWw

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I finally saw Star Trek Beyond and I enjoyed it despite all the bees being essentially pod racers in space and Kirk's ridiculous transporting motorcycle.

I enjoyed the fan service deep cuts, as well.

Yeah, it's a fun and entertaining movie with a lot to love as a Star Trek fan, but have you considered that it's actually terrible.

Someone on the internet said so.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This also happened to me, when I first had sex at 17

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Beyond was fine. Star Trek '09 was fine.

...we do not mention that one in the middle.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

Beyond was fine. Star Trek '09 was fine.

...we do not mention that one in the middle.

I still believe in the odd-even rule, just that there must have been a secret ST movie between Nemesis and ST09, that was so bad that its very existence was covered up

e: actually seems like someone solved this by including Galaxy Quest before Nemesis, which I guess makes sense because Nemesis is bad despite having the elements of a good movie

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 8, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I still believe in the odd-even rule, just that there must have been a secret ST movie between Nemesis and ST09, that was so bad that its very existence was covered up

ST I bad
ST II best
ST III not very good
ST IV tied for best
ST V drizzling shits
ST VI good
TNG I bad
TNG II good
TNG III bad
Galaxy Quest tied for best
TNG IV bad
Dawson's Trek I ok
Dawson's Trek II bad
Dawson's Trek III good

The theory holds. Unfortunately that means we're due a bad one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Works for the shows too.

Classic Trek: bad
Animated series: awesome
TNG: Bland
DS9: Best
Voyager: Trash
Enterprise: ok, maybe.

Discovery will be 100% trash

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ST:09 was crap once the "omg a new version of the thing I used to like" wore off

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

dont even fink about it posted:

Don't worry. Discovery will be so bad that it transcends TV and lands a spot in the movie rankings.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't worry. Discovery will be so bad that it transcends TV and lands a spot in the movie rankings.

Discovery continues to spiral, will be a "multi-episode event" where each episode is 90 minutes (movie length). Theory holds.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baronjutter posted:

Works for the shows too.

Animated series: awesome
TNG: Bland
DS9: Best
Voyager: Trash

Discovery will be 100% trash

You're stretching. It doesn't work at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone check if it works for seasons and/or individual episodes.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

yes

Baronjutter posted:

no

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

Someone check if it works for seasons and/or individual episodes.

def not for seasons. TNG and DS9 both rise in quality exponentially and then fall off a cliff for the last season

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

That's assuming that another movie will even be made.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Astroman posted:

This would be perfect, because of course a Eugenics Wars Star Trek prequel series on the CW would move the date of the Eugenics Wars from the 90s to the 2020s for no reason other than "Well originally the old series had the Eugenics Wars in the 90s, but we wanted to set it in the present day to be compelling to our current audience and have it address contemporary issues, and," :downs:

I now want to see a Western series done like Star Trek, where they visit a village of the week every episode with crazy prospecters, mad preachers, regular antagonist Indians, and they have to tech the tech with 19th century technology. "Major, we're getting heavy arrow fire!" "Dammit Lieutenant, increase canvas shields! Reroute the rawhide!"

So... Gunsmoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's assuming that another movie will even be made.

Well, we know there's a story that's been pitched that involves George Kirk, and Chris Hemsworth has said as recently as January that he's read it, thinks it's "great" and he's committed to the project. We also know that JD Payne and Patrick McKay, Orci's bobos who wrote the rejected Star Trek 3 script, were originally picked to write the movie (this was announced last July), but Simon Pegg indicated on Twitter back in December that he and Doug Jung were working on the script.

Unfortunately, we also know that the only cast members signed for a fourth movie are Pine and Quinto -- they demanded and received significant pay raises for Beyond, but in exchange they had to sign new contracts with an option for a fourth movie. Everyone else is off-contract, and some of them, I'm thinking Saldana in particular and also Urban (who was the last to sign for Beyond after being extremely unhappy after Into Darkness), are going to want a much bigger payday than the relative peanuts they got for the last three movies. Given Beyond's under-performance and several years of Paramount coming in near or at the back of the pack of the major studios, box-office wise (plus persistent rumors that the studio is up for sale), I imagine the bean counters are going to do a very, very hard cost-benefit analysis before a fourth movie gets a green light.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2017