Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm sad that the new rock band and guitar hero didn't catch on :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's mostly due to the song selection to be honest. It'd be a bit of a hyperbole to say "all" the good songs have already been taken, but Rock Band 3 has over 2000 downloadable songs and there have been hundreds more for the previous ones and the Guitar Hero games so...

edit: It's also probably at least in part due to the fact that the fad has passed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I never really got into the Rock Band series; think my favorite GH game was 2. Everything felt right- song selection and how the notes were arranged, the fact that it gave you a taaadddd more leeway than GH1 in hitting the notes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It certainly did not help that they were over saturating the market so quickly. Let's not forget DJ hero

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

VideoGames posted:

Watching those videos feels like comparing the wrong kinds of games.
Zelda is wonderful, but Horizon is not trying to be what Zelda is and likewise.

Well, some people went ahead and called Horizon the Zelda-killer, the sillies. So of course they'll start to compare the two together in their own ways.

Still, they're pretty informative about different game design philosophies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like DJ hero more than Guitar Hero

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How much like Far Cry 3-Primal is Horizon?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hear it's like cry primal with female protagonist and robo-animals.

Honestly, ubisoft would've gotten away with all of its poo poo by doing the same thing in far cry 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got sexy Link finally.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait. Wait. WAIT. You're telling me that the switch launched without any streaming apps? Like, you can't watch netflix on your switch? Hahahahaha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That does seem to be the case. People have found stubs that imply that media support could appear in the future.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Why is that funny? It'll probably get netflix later.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Snak posted:

Wait. Wait. WAIT. You're telling me that the switch launched without any streaming apps? Like, you can't watch netflix on your switch? Hahahahaha

Oh no, now I can only watch Netflix on my computer, phone, tablet, roku, and smart TV. However will I manage?

an actual dog posted:

Why is that funny? It'll probably get netflix later.

They said it will get streaming apps at some point in the future. Literally said this today. I guess if that's your deal breaker you might as well just put your money aside until that time, you'll probably have better luck actually finding one in the future as well.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 8, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't actually want to watch Netflix on my switch tho. I have like ninety devices better for it. Switch is for games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I think it's mostly due to the song selection to be honest. It'd be a bit of a hyperbole to say "all" the good songs have already been taken, but Rock Band 3 has over 2000 downloadable songs and there have been hundreds more for the previous ones and the Guitar Hero games so...

edit: It's also probably at least in part due to the fact that the fad has passed.

Guitar Hero Live's weird streaming model probably put people off too

Like you have maybe 40 songs on disc that are from the weird FMV career mode thing (which i actually really liked) But for the other 500 or however many songs (they're still adding them I think) you need to go to GHTV which has like three channels streaming songs that you join in on (like a pop channel/metal channel/indie channel) If you want to actually choose a song yourself you need to use plays (that you buy with coins you get from playing the streaming channels) or you can buy the plays with real money

I probably put like 20 hours into GHTV without paying anything and playing mostly songs from the catalog but that was in the first month where they were doing free weekends and stuff. I dunno what it's like now

I assumed the new GH/Rock Band games did ok though. I guess this is pretty meaningless but I know 5 or 6 people in real life that bought one or the other and they don't play that many video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

you need to go to GHTV which has like three channels streaming songs that you join in on (like a pop channel/metal channel/indie channel) If you want to actually choose a song yourself you need to use plays (that you buy with coins you get from playing the streaming channels) or you can buy the plays with real money

What the fuuuckkk that sounds like an awful system, the whole point of quickplay-type modes is to play whatever you want

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nier is so badass. Playing on hard feels perfect, although i strongly recommend playing the first level on normal as you cant save until you beat it so if you get an unlucky situation like what happened to me where the hit detection is wonky on stairs, you have to replay from the unskippable intro sequence. You can bump it back up after.

Dr Cheeto posted:

It has outposts and hunting and crafting satchels like a far cry. Character driven subquests and buff potion quaffing like a witcher. Combat feels a lot like caveman vanquish actually.

Its a great game that is way more than the sum of its borrowed parts

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Real hurthling! posted:

It has outposts and hunting and crafting satchels like a far cry. Character driven subquests and buff potion quaffing like a witcher. Combat feels a lot like caveman vanquish actually.

Thanks, most of what I've seen of it was unfortunately fighting other people, which looked rather Far Cry. Glad to hear that there's a lot more going on there!

Speaking of Far Cry 3, whatever happened to Jeffrey Yohalem? He kind of dropped off the face of the earth after that insane RPS interview.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

The penalty for death in Automata is one of the more punitive I've seen outside of roguelikes. Pretty brutal

What is the penalty?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mak0rz posted:

Guitar Hero 2 was really fun, but many of the tracks in GH3 were downright heinous. The developers just straight up said "hey let's make a bunch of songs impossibly hard in arbitrary ways."

So they started following Beatmania's lead, in other words.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I played Guitar Freaks once. Holy poo poo. Only 3 buttons, but the whole gamut of beatmania options.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Snak posted:

Oh man. How will I ever watch Netflix now. Truly, Nintendo, is doomed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's true, no one would ever want to stream media on their portable system.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Filed under " yeah kinda stupid but who cares"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Snak posted:

It's true, no one would ever want to stream media on their portable system.

I have been able to do this for years on my phone and 3DS and have found I don't actually want to, and they are coming eventually anyway so yeah. Doomed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think what people are saying is maybe the reason people have bought the switch is for reasons other than Netflix so maybe it's not as big of a wait-wait-wait failure as you suggest? Maybe? Am I wrong here?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's everybody up to today?

I'm watching board game videos. Other than that, nothing at all. Tired, that's about it. Might fall back asleep here since I'm not running on much sleep but who knows when I'll actually conk out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Assuming I could ever get my hands on a Switch I sure wouldn't be interested in watching Netflix on it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm waiting at the dentist to get a root canal retreatment.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

What's everybody up to today?

I started a new job about 2 months ago and I feel as if I am way in over my head and the fact that 95% of the people I work with only speak Spanish and I know absolutely none it is making me feel even more anxious! God help me!

At least I have a Nintendo to throw myself in to when I am home, that makes it a little better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

That's actually a pretty great comparison, given the reliance on slowing time and staying mobile (and sliding/jumping to slow time).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

What is the penalty?

It's got souls corpse run system but instead of currency on the line it's your equipment and any XP you had gained since last save, which can delevel you

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Switch launched with like 8 games. I think not having Netflix is the least of its launch software problems.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I don't really give a poo poo, I think the entire switch is stupid. I just thought that was like, a feature of modern poo poo. And if I was gonna take my switch with me on a commute or something, it would make sense for it to have some of the basic features of a modern tablet because it has the size footprint of one. I was just surprised to learn that it really is just a nintento game machine without the features that every console from the last 2 generations has.

You guys are right that it doesn't really matter. I just didn't expect that.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

yeah what will switch owners do without yet another loving device for streaming netflix. hardly any of those around anymore

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What I really wonder about is if the web browser on the Switch is worth a drat- be a shame if that was bad/didn't exist on a portable tablet-form device.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, I don't really give a poo poo, I think the entire switch is stupid. I just thought that was like, a feature of modern poo poo. And if I was gonna take my switch with me on a commute or something, it would make sense for it to have some of the basic features of a modern tablet because it has the size footprint of one. I was just surprised to learn that it really is just a nintento game machine without the features that every console from the last 2 generations has.

You guys are right that it doesn't really matter. I just didn't expect that.

From the perspective of someone who doesn't have one yet: the Switch makes a whole lot of sense if you think of it as a handheld that you can optionally hook up to your TV, rather than a home console you can optionally make handheld. (It's also not a tablet, and I don't think it's trying to be.) As a handheld, the Switch is extremely impressive, and having a game as stupidly massive and interactive as Breath of the Wild running beautifully on a loving handheld is a huge deal. And it's not often you find a handheld that supports local multiplayer without having multiple systems.

The only downside it has from a handheld perspective is the battery life, which is a significant problem, don't get me wrong. A portable battery pack or a future hardware revision with a better battery life would do wonders for it. For someone like me, it's probably fine--my city doesn't have great public transportation so I don't have a lot of transport time where I'm not actively driving, so most of the time I play a handheld, I have easy access to a power outlet. But the battery life does matter.

But that's it. That's the only problem it has from a handheld perspective. Other than that, it's loving great (as hardware). As a home console, it's an underpowered, overpriced gimmick machine, but it's a powerful, very versatile handheld (and it's tailor-made for VR in the future).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

babypolis posted:

yeah what will switch owners do without yet another loving device for streaming netflix. hardly any of those around anymore

Hey um the reason that every device streams netflix is because its so easy to implement. Not for nintendo though. Thats the funny part.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Switch doesn't have a real web browser so if you're looking at it as a tablet/game system hybrid you are going to be disappointed. It has just enough of a web browser to log into your hotel wifi and post screenshots to Facebook and Twitter, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

So they started following Beatmania's lead, in other words.

Yes, actually.

• Locked thread