Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

Max is great and possibly an even bigger raw talent than Lewis is, but I really wish he'd spent more time in junior series. Maybe that's me being an old man and wishing he'd earned things the hard way, but also difficult to believe he's gone from a junior series to assumed F1 championship contender inside three years. Unreal.

and yes, Bacon Briefcase season is the Best Season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Most F1 drivers are immature as hell though, so it is weird to see Lewis singled out. It's hard to not end up a manchild when you never have to work a real job to support yourself and are raised from a young age believing you are a future Formula One World Champion.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Most F1 drivers are immature as hell though, so it is weird to see Lewis singled out. It's hard to not end up a manchild when you never have to work a real job to support yourself and are raised from a young age believing you are a future Formula One World Champion.

Lewis gets singled out not because he's obnoxious (though he is) or because he's the only manchild on the grid (because he's not), he gets singled out because he instagrams his stupid self all the time and dresses like a clown on purpose and because his commentary, even when you strip away the media spin, make him seem incredibly thick. He's Dennis Rodman without any of Dennis' redeeming qualities (not that I'm aware of Dennis Rodman having any redeeming qualities :v:).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think that's a fair observation to make. I only get frustrated when the media treats Lewis like he isn't throwing a petulant moody tantrum when he is. Just because someone is lucky enough to be in the car that is faster by a huge margin than the other ones doesn't mean you need to treat them with reverence. For drivers with reasonable personalities see Jenson, Perez, Grosjean, etc.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

harperdc posted:

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

But Lewis isn't showing his real personality, he's displaying a load of PR consultant Instagram celebrity garbage. He actually is the prematurely bald race car driving autist from Hertfordshire whose favourite band is Simple Minds or some poo poo that he was at McLaren, his current super cool 19-year-old pop star persona is put together by his management team to increase his marketability.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm Crap posted:

But Lewis isn't showing his real personality, he's displaying a load of PR consultant Instagram celebrity garbage. He actually is the prematurely bald race car driving autist from Hertfordshire whose favourite band is Simple Minds or some poo poo that he was at McLaren, his current super cool 19-year-old pop star persona is put together by his management team to increase his marketability.

Hmm I guess we'll have to read about it in his book.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

Yeah, this. I don't really mind Vettel being a whiny little poo poo because that seems sincere. Nothing Hamilton does seems real. Reminds me of when he clinched the title in 2014 and got on the radio and said "Omg! World champions! I can't believe it!" and it was pretty clear that he could, in fact, believe it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I've never been one for calling Max a frog but the evidence is there

I'm Crap posted:

We'll see what happens when he reaches the stage all former champions go through, where he's no longer the fastest driver/in the fastest car, not in with a shout at a race win let alone a title win, and with time ticking away. Schumi was there in his second stint, Vettel's in there but fighting to get out, Alonso's so firmly in there he needs Chilean miner levels of help.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

He's Dennis Rodman without any of Dennis' redeeming qualities (not that I'm aware of Dennis Rodman having any redeeming qualities :v:).

Rodman is an absolute statistical freak rebounder and came up real hard but yeah.

I have to believe Lewis at least wants to portray something like this. He might not be doing it 'right,' but it's been consistent since moving to Mercedes, so it has to be calculated and -- given he was an international star before that move -- probably not instructed to him like he's a pawn.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think it's who he is with a bit of meddling from some PR team as mentioned. I think the success just changed him, this is a well-documented thing that you can see in a lot of other young celebrities. I think he's also got a fair bit of psychological stress with his father and probably seeks to fill the missing approval there with being a social media whore.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I also think everybody hating on Lewis should hold off on their Worst Drivers Off-Track lists until we get more receipts on young Lance Stroll. A kid who's done what he's done with that much money in the family has a pretty high chance of being an untamed little shitgibbon in interviews.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If Lewis is Dennis Rodman, when will he co-star in a movie with JCVD?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

harperdc posted:

I also think everybody hating on Lewis should hold off on their Worst Drivers Off-Track lists until we get more receipts on young Lance Stroll. A kid who's done what he's done with that much money in the family has a pretty high chance of being an untamed little shitgibbon in interviews.

He is absolutely going to get hit with some sort of sex scandal. American women love suing men for looking at their tits or getting their arses touched.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Sod Wikipedia, this is how I'm going to digest F1 from now on

https://twitter.com/Circuitcat_eng/status/839452490689019906

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brainwrong posted:

He is absolutely going to get hit with some sort of sex scandal. American women love suing men for looking at their tits or getting their arses touched.

Before I go anywhere else with this, isn't Stroll Canadian?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Good job Mercedes 🤜🏽🤛🏻

Pirate Radar posted:

Yep, see that's already a self-made scandal.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HJB posted:

Yep, see that's already a self-made scandal.

Oh my God, he's the Ted Cruz of F1

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh my God, he's the Ted Cruz of F1

but Stroll is far too young to be the Zodiac Killer

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Isn't Stroll Quebecois as well? Truly the worst

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

I think he's from the part of Montreal that is definitively not Quebecois. Westmount I think it is?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm English. That makes him American.

I have Canadian relatives and they are yet to convince me, after 30-odd years, that they aren't just Americans who live in a pretty, snow covered part of north America

Brainwrong fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 8, 2017

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Tsaedje posted:

Eurgh. I know people who live in Quebec. That makes him essentially a Frenchman. Good lord. Can he get any worse?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I think that's a fair observation to make. I only get frustrated when the media treats Lewis like he isn't throwing a petulant moody tantrum when he is. Just because someone is lucky enough to be in the car that is faster by a huge margin than the other ones doesn't mean you need to treat them with reverence. For drivers with reasonable personalities see Jenson, Perez, Grosjean, etc.

Button was a bit of a knobhead in his younger days though. He got older and most of the middle part of his career probably served as a humbling experience to bring him back down to earth too.

harperdc posted:

I'm fully expecting to despise him more than any F1 driver since Max loving Chilton.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kimi please dont destroy the FERRARI.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Lance is only 3 seconds off MWDC 2017 Massa. Well done Lance.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lance is Pants

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Brainwrong posted:

I'm English. That makes him American.

I have Canadian relatives and they are yet to convince me, after 30-odd years, that they aren't just Americans who live in a pretty, snow covered part of north America

Right, glad we got that out of the way. What makes you think Lance would get in trouble if he started acting like an SVU villain? It doesn't seem to matter for our President.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hate Lewis for his entitlement.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lewis started dating famous-for-being-famous people and got the same level of lovely fame as football(soccer) players in the British media.
It's not too surprising he tilted towards the red-top/GQ audience given that's where money is for interviews, and once those come, brand marketing.

If I realised I could act a clown in public and get paid 5 figures for every watch I wear I'd do it too.
I give him a pass for image for that reason, but his lovely persona is completely unnecessary.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As a full-blown Canadian (regardless of my ethnicity) having been born and raised all my life in Canada which defines someone not the colour of their skin I have to say that I am personally disgusted and upset that Lance Stroll exists and is the representation of my beloved nation for whom I have devoted my entire life to (Canada).

However, he's literally a billionaire if we are to assume that his father's billions are his as well so, hell, if I was in his position I'd ask dad to buy an F1 team or whatever the gently caress and sign me up.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Have we got an official rivals.com punTM for him yet? Gonna suggest Glans Stool

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
With a Stoffel, Joylon and whiirline already on the grid can we just stick to calling him a name that's easy to remember how to spell, such as Lance Stroll.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Tsaedje posted:

Pants Slowll

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/839525996911022081

hooo boy, he mad

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tsaedje posted:

His name is already a pun.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lance poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No discipline. Bring back Ron

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

No discipline. Bring back Ron

Even Eddie Irvine said McLaren is now most likely hosed with Ron gone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I feel quite well rested now. Like Nando during a Brazilian Free Practice session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Incidentally can I have a list of D grade Scifi slop that's going to cause you nerds to run to the hall monitor if I say it's bad?

• Locked thread