Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

Actually this is getting really loving stupid. Let's talk about horse names. What is everyone naming their horses? I'm gonna name my horse Polnareff

I named my first horse Bucket because a friend of mine called my horse in Skyrim that years ago and then the horse got eaten by a dragon so now I always name a mount Bucket in memory of that noble steed :911:

My second horse is named Patience because I tamed it and then rode it around for like two days of playing the game before I managed to find a stable. A very patient horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

UberJew posted:

named my white horse shadowfax

wish i'd named the previous horse scrublord b/c it got oneshot by a lynel arrow

The only scrublord here is you for recklessly putting your horse in such a dangerous situation. Shameful. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i will never catch a horse, gently caress horses, horses are bullshit

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Speaking of horses, The Godfather: 7/10.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I wish horse names could be more than 9 characters. I wanted to name the Royal White Horse "Capn Crunch", but I had to settle for "Fancy Lad".

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

The only scrublord here is you for recklessly putting your horse in such a dangerous situation. Shameful. :colbert:

i tried having an honorable cavalry duel

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol gently caress off buddy. people are allowed to disagree with you and point out flaws in your reasoning

calm down

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My biggest complaint is that there's not enough enemies, from what I can think of:

- Keese
- Octoroks
- Bokoblins
- Moblins
- Hinox
- Lizalfos
- Wizzrobes
- Chuchus (did these stupid things really have to make a return?)
- Guardians
- Lynels
- Talus (or whatever the rock dudes are called)
- Yiga
- Bigger Yiga

You also get all of the variants (color, weapons, shields, elements, if they're skeletons or not) but most of the enemies you run into for 90% of the game (Boko, Moblin, Lizalfo) they don't feel vastly different. I was hoping we'd get Like-Likes, Levers and Darknuts at least and maybe some old school bosses like Manhandla and Gohma as optional, hidden bosses you have to find. Considering how much you rely on your equipment Like-Likes would be loving terrifying.

Not big on new Moblins either, neither pig or bulldog but now they're tapirs or something?

Can the Hylian Shield break? If it can is there anyway to get another one?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

God drat IT. I was doing the stranded island shrine challenge, I had two of the altars completed, and the Hinox killed me when he had exactly a sliver of health left. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

my white horse is named artax duh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what is a good weapon for wrecking lynels? everything i have does such measly damage. i can counter and flurry him well enough but the odds of doing enough damage before im down to a torch just dont exist

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

man nurse posted:

God drat IT. I was doing the stranded island shrine challenge, I had two of the altars completed, and the Hinox killed me when he had exactly a sliver of health left. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

you don't need to kill the hinox

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I named my first horse "Meat Loco," figuring that if a locomotive can be called an Iron Horse, a horse can be called a Meat Locomotive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

My biggest complaint is that there's not enough enemies, from what I can think of:

. . .

You also get all of the variants (color, weapons, shields, elements, if they're skeletons or not) but most of the enemies you run into for 90% of the game (Boko, Moblin, Lizalfo) they don't feel vastly different. I was hoping we'd get Like-Likes, Levers and Darknuts at least and maybe some old school bosses like Manhandla and Gohma as optional, hidden bosses you have to find. Considering how much you rely on your equipment Like-Likes would be loving terrifying.

I was definitely sad that darknuts apparently aren't around. They'd have been a lot of fun to fight in this system.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yes, though it is the most durable shield. And I think there's a way to get one more, somewhere?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

s.i.r.e. posted:

- Keese
- Octoroks
- Bokoblins
- Moblins
- Hinox
- Lizalfos
- Wizzrobes
- Chuchus (did these stupid things really have to make a return?)
- Guardians
- Lynels
- Talus (or whatever the rock dudes are called)
- Yiga
- Bigger Yiga

Not big on new Moblins either, neither pig or bulldog but now they're tapirs or something?

You're missing a few things like the Molduga, Wolves, Moose, Bulls, Bears, Dragons and mini-Talus.

I also wouldn't lump all guardians in together. You have quite a few different variants that are nothing alike (the tiny shooty ones, the small melee ones with the weapons, the big-rear end walkers in Hyrule field, the Flying ones). I also would make Stal enemies their own thing since their mechanics are so different from the things they're based on (and the Stalnox is a fantastic twist on the standard Hinox fight).

Honestly though, that seems like a fairly normal amount for a Zelda game? And the elemental variants change up how they play a lot. Like the various Bokoblin/Moblin variants are just straight HP increases and pretty boring, but the elemental Lizaflos, Talus and Keese significantly change how you approach them.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 8, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Also, the Talus really feel like poo poo that was developed in the prototyping phase and they just didn't cut them out. Not only do they look like poo poo they're terrible to fight because their awkward body shapes makes climbing them janky. I get what they tried to do but it just isn't fun.

I hope the DLC brings us New Game+ because that's the only way I see myself replaying this from the start; reset everything except abilities, hearts, stamina, inventory slots, uncovering the map and only the weapons you have stashed in your house carry over. I'd like to play the game in the future and go through all of the story stuff but I don't want to do a ton of Shrines again just to have enough hearts and stamina to survive Hyrule Castle and the last boss.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How many times are you allowed to use the Amibo rune a day?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yes, though it is the most durable shield. And I think there's a way to get one more, somewhere?

A quick lookup says that after you find it the first time it starts to spawn in Tarry Town.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BigRed0427 posted:

Once per amiibo AFAIK. But you can re-summon Wolf Link any time if he's vanished, unless he lost all his hearts.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

what is a good weapon for wrecking lynels? everything i have does such measly damage. i can counter and flurry him well enough but the odds of doing enough damage before im down to a torch just dont exist

get more weapons. I use a long of flame spears and flame greatswords.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think that when two posters quickly jumped on literally 1 line about the weapons and ignored the rest without trying to rebutt them, it says something.

It says they think you are an idiot and immediately disregard you after the first stupid thing you said. That's why you either don't say stupid things in a review, or you put the stupid things til later in the review. If you start out stupid nobody gives a poo poo what the rest of your review says, they've already checked out. Pro review tip I gave you there.

alf_pogs posted:

Stasis+

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

You're missing a few things like the Molduga, Wolves, Moose, Bulls, Bears, Dragons and mini-Talus.

I also wouldn't lump all guardians in together. You have quite a few different variants that are nothing alike (the tiny shooty ones, the small melee ones with the weapons, the big-rear end walkers in Hyrule field, the Flying ones). I also would make Stal enemies their own thing since their mechanics are so different from the things they're based on (and the Stalnox is a fantastic twist on the standard Hinox fight).

I didn't fight the Molduga yet, but the normal animals running around aren't really monsters and they're all non-threatening, you could add Bees to that as well but come on, Mini-Talus is just stupid.

The Stal enemies only change in the way you do damage, having to hit the head once it's off, but they all have the same animations as their normal forms and no unique attacks, they should have used rare, all bone-made weapons. Stalnox is a little different since the eye feels like you're fighting Wart or something but still, the Stalnox just reuses all of the Hinox' animations and really is just a variant.

I forgot about the smaller Guardians so I'll give you that, but I didn't care for them or the larger guardians at all but I'm not big on the "Sheikah Tech" think Zelda's been going for since SS, I don't think that stuff fits all too well but whatever.

BigRed0427 posted:

As many times as you have amiibos, but you can only use each amiibo once a day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be really fuckin cool if the DLC Hard Mode was an actual NES-style second quest. The way shrines work, how puzzles are largely tied to the physics engine instead of event flags, and the loose plot structure should make it much easier for them to shift stuff around and put together new puzzles than in past 3D games. I'm not under the impression that it's likely to happen but it would be extremely awesome if it did.

It's not like changing damage values would make the game much harder, enemies already do plenty of damage.

Actually, one legit problem with this game is that chugging food in combat is completely free, the game is paused entirely and you have access to your entire inventory with no healing animation or anything, you're only limited by how much food you have which is usually gonna be a lot. If a Lynel slams you for most of your health there is nothing stopping you from pausing and healing yourself back to full in an instant. This is a rare case where this game seems to take a step backwards from Skyward Sword, where potions needed to be assigned an inventory slot beforehand and then used in real time while enemies can still hit you.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 8, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I spent 330 quid just to play it, believe me I wanted to love the game like my firstborn.
No I didn't stretch to find complaints, those issues are very in-your-face and I think that when two posters quickly jumped on literally 1 line about the weapons and ignored the rest without trying to rebutt them, it says something.

I personally disagree with the majority of the points you make, other than the obvious performance issues (Which, personally, are largely shadowed with how much joy I find in the game). It could simply just not be a game for you. There will be detractors for every single game out there.

Though...this isn't a game that's going to get hated on 2-3 months afterwards, ala a MGSV (Another excellent game, but one that has much more aggressive problems in my opinion). History is going to look back on this game very fondly, and if this is a game you don't like, I'd expect to have to defend your points every time it gets brought up.

Edit: It does suck though. I'm pretty close to calling it my most favorite / greatest game of all time, and I wish everyone could have the experience I am. I think it's going to establish new design decisions in games and be a massive influence for years to come. I think it broke the record on Metacritic for most perfect scores....that's how massive this game is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I forgot about the smaller Guardians so I'll give you that, but I didn't care for them or the larger guardians at all but I'm not big on the "Sheikah Tech" think Zelda's been going for since SS, I don't think that stuff fits all too well but whatever.

I'm way into the Sheikah tech thing in Breath of the Wild. I didn't play Skyward Sword at all so I don't know how well it's done there, but the aesthetic of it in Breath of the Wild is awesome, I think. Old magi-tech with mysterious workings littered around a beautiful, mostly-open landscape is extremely my poo poo.

I wonder if the creator of Hyper Light Drifter realized that his Zelda-inspired game would end up having a really similar setting to the next actual Zelda game.

Augus posted:

Actually, one legit problem with this game is that chugging food in combat is completely free, the game is paused entirely and you have access to your entire inventory with no healing animation or anything, you're only limited by how much food you have which is usually gonna be a lot. If a Lynel slams you for most of your health there is nothing stopping you from pausing and healing yourself back to full in an instant. This is a rare case where this game seems to take a step backwards from Skyward Sword, where potions needed to be assigned an inventory slot beforehand and then used in real time without combat being paused.

Yeah, I agree. In general, I don't love going into a separate menu to use healing items, but being able to do so basically endlessly in-combat kinda cheapens any sort of difficulty the game has. (Well, that, and the unlimited number of fairies you can carry because they don't require bottles anymore :v:) I'd much prefer being unable to use food in-combat at all, but being able to eat ahead of time for buffs and craft healing potions you can use in combat from a quick-slot. (Did the horse whistle really need a dedicated button? Why not let the down d-pad button be a switchable item quickslot, with the horse whistle being one of the items you can put there?)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 8, 2017

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

My horse is called Epona and I got it from the Amiibo, gently caress your loser horses with dumb names. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the Zelda amiibo are so much online now even the Link Smash one :( just want Epona dammit

at one point Kass sings you a song about events from 10,000 years ago, this is an original thing and not an interpretation of any game right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Escobarbarian posted:

All the Zelda amiibo are so much online now even the Link Smash one :( just want Epona dammit

at one point Kass sings you a song about events from 10,000 years ago, this is an original thing and not an interpretation of any game right?

Yeah, its the story of where the Guardians and Divine Beasts come from.

Though Zelda does explicitly mention Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess as having occurred in the the intervening time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Yeah, its the story of where the Guardians and Divine Beasts come from.

Though Zelda does explicitly mention Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess as having occurred in the the intervening time.

They are not explicitly mentioned as occuring in the intervening time, I actually presumed from context of that legend they were far before even then

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Not sure how much I should mention this but if you have an Android phone there are insanely cheap alternatives to using Amiibos.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been scanning my link and not getting epona at all, hope I'm not gonna miss out.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Guys, I just got through the Lost Woods and figured it out on my own. I think it was such a good navigation gimmick this time. I always found it bullshit that it's just memorization in the previous games.

Some timeline questions now, from the perspective of someone who has never completed Ocarina of Time.

The Great Deku Tree is alive in this one. Does this mean that this game takes place before Ocarina since the Tree died in the beginning of that one? I find that tough to understand since the Temple of Time is in ruin here.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Macintosh HD posted:

Guys, I just got through the Lost Woods and figured it out on my own. I think it was such a good navigation gimmick this time. I always found it bullshit that it's just memorization in the previous games.

Some timeline questions now, from the perspective of someone who has never completed Ocarina of Time.

The Great Deku Tree is alive in this one. Does this mean that this game takes place before Ocarina since the Tree died in the beginning of that one? I find that tough to understand since the Temple of Time is in ruin here.

There's a new Great Deku tree by the end of the game in OOT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deku Tree regrows in OoT, you meet the sprout after the Forest Temple

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Most of that guy's complaints are somewhat valid, but honestly, they are what keep me from rating the game a 12 of 10 rather than the 11 it is now. I guess we have different weights for these problems?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah the prices are real stupid, I wouldn't have gotten the Smash Link one if I didn't find it for a rational price at a local store.

Davoren posted:

I've been scanning my link and not getting epona at all, hope I'm not gonna miss out.

Don't worry that happened to me, I reloaded a good dozen or two times before she appeared.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

In Kakariko and at the center of the Rist peninsula are Orange pad that look like they belong in a Trial Shrine.. It looks like someting goes in them. Can I just get a hint for them?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

In Kakariko and at the center of the Rist peninsula are Orange pad that look like they belong in a Trial Shrine.. It looks like someting goes in them. Can I just get a hint for them?

Talk to NPCs in the area and you might get a quest to activate it. A few of those are scattered around and they're all side quest-related.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I like this meme-making thing that all the depressed kids on Facebook have been talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Zore posted:

There's a new Great Deku tree by the end of the game in OOT.

Thanks