Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Now batting for the New York Metropolitans: Designated Hitter Timothy Richard Tebow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Walks out to cheers and standing ovation - sits down 3 minutes later after getting caught looking on 4 pitches.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
...he also had words for the ump.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I would love to know what he said because you know he was super nice about it

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Joey Freshwater posted:

I would love to know what he said because you know he was super nice about it

Probably some bible passage about Jesus curing the blind

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Huh, turns out this Tim Tebow guy isn't very good at baseball!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure there were times Babe Ruth struck out looking on 4 pitches.

edit - I called this outcome down to the pitch count with my coworkers and I got a free lunch as a result, god bless

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Huh, turns out this Tim Tebow guy isn't very good at baseball!

His stance looks pretty awful, too. On the last pitch he was practically squatting on his back leg.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

His stance looks pretty awful, too. On the last pitch he was practically squatting on his back leg.

muscle memory from all the prayers

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hahaha, bases loaded with no one out for Tebow.

e: grounded weakly to second for a double play. Crowd goes wild. Not joking about that, crowd actually loudly cheering.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Hahaha, bases loaded with no one out for Tebow.

e: grounded weakly to second for a double play. Crowd goes wild. Not joking about that, crowd actually loudly cheering.

:lol: a standing ovation for a GIDP. Tebow Nation indeed.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
TEBOW TIES GAME

and gets no rbi for it because gidp

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't want to sound like a crumbum, but gently caress this Tebow poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Looking through his Twitter John Baker seems like a cool dude I would wanna drink beers and go to the batting cage with.

If you ever get the chance to go to a batting cage with him, make sure you shout "WELCOME TO THE BAKERY!" every time he crushes one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's ridiculous and dumb and in theory I guess he's taking playing time away from some actual prospect. But it's still pretty fun to laugh at, I mean celebrity spring training invites have probably had more business being there in past years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you ever get the chance to go to a batting cage with him, make sure you shout "WELCOME TO THE BAKERY!" every time he crushes one.

Well, time to write John Baker a fan letter saying that my (nonexistant) 8 year old kid wants to meet him at the batting cage.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Grittybeard posted:

It's ridiculous and dumb and in theory I guess he's taking playing time away from some actual prospect. But it's still pretty fun to laugh at, I mean celebrity spring training invites have probably had more business being there in past years.

The Mets should field a celebrity team in Spring because minimizing an actual player's exposure to the Mets' training staff is probably for the best

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can someone please save us all and pull a Carl Mays on Tebow already

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

That he's getting so much attention from the media/fans is proof at how absolutely garbage the MLB is at marketing their actual stars. Tim Tebow, minor league scrub, has more name recognition to the casual sports fan than opposing pitcher Rick Porcello, reigning AL Cy Young winner.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Well, time to write John Baker a fan letter saying that my (nonexistant) 8 year old kid wants to meet him at the batting cage.

It probably wouldn't cost that much to rent a kid for an afternoon

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

It probably wouldn't cost that much to rent a kid for an afternoon

"Huh? My kid? Oh yeah he got sick and couldn't make it, real sad. Anyways, since we're both here wanna hit some balls? I brought a 6 pack."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

they're stupid and keep players who otherwise have no business being in the league employed

So it's hockey's version of the DH?

Yeah I went there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Yeah I went there.

that would only be true if DH's hit as poorly as pitchers instead of actually being good at something baseball related

They do a good Aroldis Chapman impersonation though so maybe you could trade them for a generational prospect or two.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

Yeah I went there.

Most DH's would still be MLB players and below average defensive guys, most John Scott's wouldn't ever sniff the NHL and then become all star game MVPs.

Since I guess I'm leaving this stupid game on in the background while I work Tebow HBP, then doubled off of first base on a lineout. Would have been safe if he'd slid back into the base.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tebow got plunked then doubled off first when he didn't slide :lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that plunking was very intentional.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It did not seem intentional to me, but I have a very very very very long history of giving people way too much benefit of the doubt.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Julio Cruz posted:

loving :laffo:

I love cross-sport athletes as much as the next guy but this is insulting to the people he's playing with

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

That he's getting so much attention from the media/fans is proof at how absolutely garbage the MLB is at marketing their actual stars. Tim Tebow, minor league scrub, has more name recognition to the casual sports fan than opposing pitcher Rick Porcello, reigning AL Cy Young winner.

This is my biggest problem with Tebow Time right now. I enjoy watching him fail at the game, it's hilarious to me that the loving Mets thought this was a good/necessary signing in order to drum up ticket sales and revenue. But why the gently caress are the MLB official outlets covering it so much? The man is never gonna get above rookie ball on merit.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is my biggest problem with Tebow Time right now. I enjoy watching him fail at the game, it's hilarious to me that the loving Mets thought this was a good/necessary signing in order to drum up ticket sales and revenue. But why the gently caress are the MLB official outlets covering it so much? The man is never gonna get above rookie ball on merit.

They were promoting it on the MLB.com homepage which is just absurd. It's not like he's playing for charity or something noble.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

They were promoting it on the MLB.com homepage which is just absurd. It's not like he's playing for charity or something noble.

It's insane. He's not Michael Jordan or Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. Tim Tebow was a good generational college football player who washed out of the NFL and is only playing baseball because the Mets are a loving joke of an organization yet MLB are eating it up.

EDIT: Credit where it's due.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 8, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This really should illustrate to absolutely everybody just how poor Major League Baseball is at marketing its marquee players. when far more Americans know the name of one of the worst quarterbacks in league history vice one of the best hitters in league history you've got a significant problem

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

Tim Tebow was a good college football player who washed out of the NFL and is only playing baseball because the Mets are a loving joke of an organization yet MLB are eating it up.

I don't like him any more than anyone else but I will point out that he was a great college football player. Like, worthy of at least being in the discussion with the best college football players ever. It's not just because he's an outspoken good Christian guy that he has so many ridiculous fans.

Also just to make the Tebow updates for the day complete he struck out on 3 pitches in his last at bat swinging at none of them. Also complained about all of them. But I'm sure he did it in a nice way.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tebow to three-day DL

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Julio Cruz posted:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Your Taint posted:

Yeah I went there.

No they're hockey's version of having a third catcher on your bench.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is me in loving high school.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

bewbies posted:

This really should illustrate to absolutely everybody just how poor Major League Baseball is at marketing its marquee players. when far more Americans know the name of one of the worst quarterbacks in league history vice one of the best hitters in league history you've got a significant problem

I mean, to be fair, Tebow was one of the greatest college football players ever, won a Heisman trophy (nearly 2), and 2 national championships. He was already a household name in America before he even made it to the NFL.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Team Italy just had to "borrow" A's pitcher Zach Neal to pitch for them in a game against the A's. And no, I'm not sure how that works either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Trout hit a triple in the Angels' game against the Reds. We now go live to Tebow's reaction...

• Locked thread