Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Haven is a weird game because of how simple it is. There are a zillion games out there that are like "It's a crime-ridden city, and..." but Haven is just, like, a crime-ridden city. There's nothing supernatural going on, no cyberpunk conceit. That's not to say you can't have a compelling game without those things, but Haven also doesn't have the style to be the Sin City roleplaying game it seems to want to be. There's just not a lot of there there.

I skimmed over the book and wondered how easy it would be to bolt the setting into Strike or Cortex+ Drama to run not-Arrow with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Hm. Some people want to play Fate with nothing but Aspects; I'm thinking about trying something like Fate's setup without aspects. I like the idea of making it skills-only, no basic ability scores.

That'd be Fudge, which is what Fate is derived from. It's a free download from Grey Ghost's site.

http://www.fudgerpg.com

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel pretty silly for forgetting that Fate is based on FUDGE which is great and has been kicking around forever.

So basically I'm going to go with an all-skill system, used Fate combat, and steal ideas from Spirit of the Century's stunts for the class abilities, though I'm doing pretty good on that front.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Eh, Fudge kind of faded from the general consciousness, which is surprising since I think it was the first free and open-source "indie" RPG to really succeed.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haven* was also from that weird 90's era of RPG design where the idea of having your game be about something hadn't quite hit yet. You just made RPGs, what people were supposed to do with them was up to them. c.f.: most licensed games of the era.

*For the Ghost Who Walks!City of Violence

It's really more that LPJ is a hack and it's not a very good game. I remember tests and it was obviously focused on being an action-oriented game. It just wasn't good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Desiden posted:

My group generally mixes a weekly game session (ideally) with pbp during the week, usually 3ish or so posts. Since inevitably people have to miss some weeks and/or game gets canceled, it helps keep the flow going and lets people still feel invested even if they've had to miss the regular game for a while.

Huh, now there lies a thought. You do a weekly game (ideally) that is recorded and posted in the PBP thread with a list of highlights that matter to the game for those who couldn't make it. This might actually keep a PBP alive and allow for the best of both worlds.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Ferrinus posted:

Is there a broad consensus as to whether 2nd or 3rd edition is preferable nowadays?

Meh. Never mind consensus; 2nd with some ideas from Game of Powers (the Nobilis LARP) is something you'll play at a table with other people. The fundamental thing with Nobilis is deciding on bid order and such because that influences play enormously.

But it's a nice thing to do to buy 3rd, yes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eh, Fudge kind of faded from the general consciousness, which is surprising since I think it was the first free and open-source "indie" RPG to really succeed.

IMO, Fudge, like Fate after it, was always more of a build-a-system toolkit than a complete game by itself.

So I'm going through Sig and though many details are different from Planescape , the lingo is similar on a level of "ha ha, seriously?" While it's not just a tracing of the original setting by far, little chunks are so shamelessly lifted that I'm a bit surprised.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Meh. Never mind consensus; 2nd with some ideas from Game of Powers (the Nobilis LARP) is something you'll play at a table with other people. The fundamental thing with Nobilis is deciding on bid order and such because that influences play enormously.

That strikes me as funny in view of the old canard that 2e was a game you bought to look at instead of play. What things do you like better? I have to say, I don't know of any groups playing the game at a table with other people who use 2nd instead of 3rd. (Not that I own a table.)

quote:

But it's a nice thing to do to buy 3rd, yes.

Note that as I mentioned before, buying 3rd doesn't give any money to Jenna. If you want to do that you should buy Chuubo products or subscribe to her Patreon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

That strikes me as funny in view of the old canard that 2e was a game you bought to look at instead of play.

If I wanted to look at stolen toho art I'd just go to Tumblr

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Plutonis posted:

If I wanted to look at stolen toho art I'd just go to Tumblr

There isn't any of that.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Covok posted:

Huh, now there lies a thought. You do a weekly game (ideally) that is recorded and posted in the PBP thread with a list of highlights that matter to the game for those who couldn't make it. This might actually keep a PBP alive and allow for the best of both worlds.

Having an attached facebook group was immensely useful for my last tabletop campaign, which had 6 players, and averaged 4-5 people available each week as we are all old adults with lots of stuff on.

The game was on wednesday nights, and every monday/sunday I'd post 'recap: this is what happened last week, who's around for this week'. If I didn't get 4 people actively posting by wednesday, I'd cancel. This meant that everyone actively had to think about the game each week, so it did a great job of getting people showing up.

Also I'd post NPC lists, art clipped from the module, etc semiregularly there too.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Isn't The Princess Bride RPG using Fudge?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think it's just an outlet so people can quote The Princess Bride without ruining your game. Because it'sThe Princess Bride Role-Playing Game.

On a totally different note, this series of tweets by Jessica Price on toxicity in TRPGs was a really, really good read today.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

There isn't any of that.

Oh that was 3E.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On a totally different note, this series of tweets by Jessica Price on toxicity in TRPGs was a really, really good read today.

No thanks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

No thanks.

Okay.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Rand Brittain posted:

That strikes me as funny in view of the old canard that 2e was a game you bought to look at instead of play. What things do you like better? I have to say, I don't know of any groups playing the game at a table with other people who use 2nd instead of 3rd.

Personally, I much prefer the tone of 2nd edition over 3rd. It much better captures a Sandman/Crossing Midnight feel. (And yeah, it's also a hell of a lot prettier to leave lying on your coffee table.)

That said, 3rd definitely has improved mechanics in most areas.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think it's just an outlet so people can quote The Princess Bride without ruining your game. Because it'sThe Princess Bride Role-Playing Game.

That was rather insightful. I am glad I'm not alone in my confusion or experience with a TRPG nerd who tries to justify old world slavery. Points out a lot of good perspectives one should keep going forward as well. One of the most important of which is to not view things as a solved problem and not to think you trying to stop something invalidates the problem. A good, important lesson that a lot of people don't seem to get.

Frankly, I'm only summarizing things to encourage people giving it a read because it was a very worthwhile read. Go read it yourself, if you haven't yet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/839271494412750848

oh.... okay

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm going to assume that's a diplomatic way of saying "Pathfinder is a hot mess about racial issues and it would be a long derail to get into it," because hoo boy is Pathfinder a hot mess about racial issues, unless the line has seriously improved since I stopped following it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That part read to me as "someone above me or too many people below me are against changing it" or "we've released so many sourcebook we can't change it without a 2nd edition" or a mix of both.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

That part read to me as "someone above me or too many people below me are against changing it" or "we've released so many sourcebook we can't change it without a 2nd edition" or a mix of both.

Knowing Paizo? Definitely both.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Helical Nightmares posted:

wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

What is this. Is this a game that I can buy. If not then why are you taunting me with this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

What is this. Is this a game that I can buy. If not then why are you taunting me with this.

It is not, it's just a fanart based on the videogame Darkest Dungeon taking it into space.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
then why are you taunting me with this.

<:mad:>

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I get the problem with changing something that's entirely fictional.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not sure I get the problem with changing something that's entirely fictional.

I don't think the problem lies in someone's ability to write different words about a setting

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Covok posted:

To the first bit: kind of weird to say on one hand how people at Paizo listen to concerns raised about problematic issues and then turn around and imply changing it would be a brutal fight anyway. To the second bit: aren't they working on a revised edition, or did that end up being something else?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

To the second bit: aren't they working on a revised edition, or did that end up being something else?

They're working on Spacefinder, but there's no word of a "Pathfinder 2.0". There was scuttlebutt at some point that Pathfinder Unchained was supposed to be like a pioneering work for whatever Pathfinder 2.0 would look like, but it's been a year since and everything they've released afterwards has been completely compatible with Core, so I think that's a no-go.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, Pathfinder courted a fan base of people who don't like edition changes and who want all their crap to be compatible with all their other crap. It has worked out pretty well for them, but it limits them in what they can do. A big new edition with substantial rules changes or setting changes is not possible - their fan base is made up of people who hate those things and thus wouldn't move to 4e or 5e.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That being said, Pathfinder 2.0 is definitely going to happen. Paizo wants to own the game that they make.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

S.J. posted:

Paizo wants to own the game that they make.

In an ideal world they'd be the only ones. Hiyoo!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

let's not forget Paizo's collaboration with a figurine producer that makes, among other things, minis depicting rape and forced pregnancy

I mean I realize this isn't remotely close to being entirely on her shoulders but given her inclination to threads like this she becomes very defensive and hostile when people point out that her own employer has done and keeps doing lovely things and the whole thing has never sat well with me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

A big new edition with substantial rules changes or setting changes is not possible - their fan base is made up of people who hate those things and thus wouldn't move to 4e or 5e.

I didn't realize taking a less unfortunate stance on slavery or whatever was a substantial setting change

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
what IS Pathfinder's stance on slavery

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

To the first bit: kind of weird to say on one hand how people at Paizo listen to concerns raised about problematic issues and then turn around and imply changing it would be a brutal fight anyway. To the second bit: aren't they working on a revised edition, or did that end up being something else?

Between some stuff she's said otherwise and the Kingdom Death experience, I get the same feeling Covok does: that Jessica honestly tries to fix the problematic issues in Pathfinder and Golarion but there's powerful people in the company who are resistant to changing some of it. (Kingdom Death pointed the finger directly at Erik Mona and Wes Schneider for their support.) Pathfinder has made changes, and James Jacobs has publicly said that they would do things differently if they were designing it now, but there is still a significant push against some changes I gather.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're working on Spacefinder, but there's no word of a "Pathfinder 2.0". There was scuttlebutt at some point that Pathfinder Unchained was supposed to be like a pioneering work for whatever Pathfinder 2.0 would look like, but it's been a year since and everything they've released afterwards has been completely compatible with Core, so I think that's a no-go.

No one at Paizo has said anything about a Pathfinder 2e or whatever. You are wrong that everything since has been compatible with Core, however - most everything produced since is compatible with the unchained classes, and they flat out don't make stuff for the old summoner any more. There's also been new combat tricks and some other things.

Jimbozig is pretty much right about why there's a lot of resistance to a new edition in Pathfinder's fanbase. Lots of people don't want sweeping changes, although the bit by bit upgrades Pathfinder's been doing generally go over well. There's more appetite for a revised Core Rulebook with better organization than a whole new edition.

I'm not sure how concerned Paizo is about "owning" Pathfinder. Starfinder is still built on a d20 chassis and is open for third-party publishing, so they really aren't changing their direction there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I always figured they could always just do a "Pathfinder 2" with the same mechanics but with newer classes / feats / magic / etc. that more closely match their current design philosophy, and have kind of been disappointed they don't, since the original Pathfinder hasn't been the best introduction to the game for ages.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reene posted:

let's not forget Paizo's collaboration with a figurine producer that makes, among other things, minis depicting rape and forced pregnancy

I mean I realize this isn't remotely close to being entirely on her shoulders but given her inclination to threads like this she becomes very defensive and hostile when people point out that her own employer has done and keeps doing lovely things and the whole thing has never sat well with me.

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, I think a factor to consider is she works for Paizo which likely limits her ability to directly criticize it. I mean, let's be honest, if she was going around making GBS threads on its bad decisions openly, she'd eventually lose her position as a result. There is likely more than a little disingenuous aggrandizing of Paizo to protect her own position. I wouldn't be shocked if she were willingly to candidly admit she's always quick to point out how her own company is different or better to avoid a pink slip. Like, she is clearly willing to point out issues so she's aware of them, but pulls her punches on it out of self-interest. That's my read on it and I could be reading too much into it. Hell, it could just be the classic "I know X people so I know their redeeming qualities so I know they aren't as bad as Y people on this issue even though they are" or the other classic "I identify with these people because I work for them and know them so I feel the need to defend them." The same mentality, ironically, that creates the "Not All X" mentality.

Of course, while possible, I feel kind of lovely for typing that since I don't know her and, honestly, focusing on this, to a degree, kind of ignores the issues she was trying to point while simultaneously discrediting her which is bullshit a lot of women have to deal with when they try to point out problems in anything when sex/gender is involved.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Between some stuff she's said otherwise and the Kingdom Death experience, I get the same feeling Covok does: that Jessica honestly tries to fix the problematic issues in Pathfinder and Golarion but there's powerful people in the company who are resistant to changing some of it. (Kingdom Death pointed the finger directly at Erik Mona and Wes Schneider for their support.) Pathfinder has made changes, and James Jacobs has publicly said that they would do things differently if they were designing it now, but there is still a significant push against some changes I gather.

Reading between the lines, I get that impression, too, but like Reene said, putting up defenses about the bad stuff is a bit uncomfortable to me. I don't know how often she does that in response to Pathfinder critics though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what IS Pathfinder's stance on slavery

Golarion does the sort of standard "evil races=lots of slavery!!" thing that carried over from D&D. A few of the human dominated nations follow the modern-perception-of-ancient-slavery-practices thing iirc. Might be one or both of those she objects to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
OK but do they do the Wilderlands of High Fantasy thing of "Has dark skin = really mean, takes slaves?"

• Locked thread