Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Baronjutter posted:

If people responsible for setting policies that result in deaths were held responsible for their actions this would be an attack on are economy.

Yeah, think of all the jobs they won't be creating at that point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel that intentionally blocking fire exits should be treated as first degree murder.

After the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, there were a lot of legal reforms; but the factory owners were actually charged with manslaughter for that incident (although they were acquitted).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire

Basically though, yeah under the right circumstances, in the US under both federal and most (all?) state laws, you could be charged with some degree of manslaughter for locking fire escape doors.

But... not First Degree Murder, because that requires an intent to murder, which would be impossible to prove without some kind of motive. Specifically a motive to murder, not to save money or whatever. You'd have to prove at trial that the defendants intended to kill the victims.

More broadly, "if you do X you should be charged with Y" is not how laws work. Prosecutors have broad discretion to decide what to charge someone with. You'd have to actually redefine what Murder 1 is, and doing so in a single specific very narrow way (adding locking fire doors, but not any of the many other ways in which a person can create unsafe conditions through negligence or disregard for safety) would be really stupid and easily challenged in court. Why should someone who locked doors be guilty of Murder 1, but not someone who (say) disabled fire alarms, or ignored building codes and created a building that might collapse with everyone inside it, or poured toxic waste into a drinking water system?

"People whose negligence created a situation likely to kill people in an emergency" are already vulnerable to criminal charges, and rightly so, but they shouldn't be treated the same under the law as people who intentionally try to kill someone, and legislating so might well be "cruel or unusual punishment," e.g., unconstitutional.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 7, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Manslaughter prosecution is not unusual in those circumstances. "On September 15, 1992, owner Emmett Roe pleaded guilty to 25 counts of involuntary manslaughter. No one else was found guilty. Emmett Roe had personally ordered the doors to be locked from the outside."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just be happy if safety laws were aggressively applied and lovely building/business owners actually destroyed over it. Not a slap on the wrist fine, severe financial penalties that ruin them and significant prison time. So many just don't give a poo poo because the prosecution rates are so low and they generally get off scot free or paying some tiny set fine anount that hasn't been updated since the 1970s. Or the people at the top just throw someone under them under the bus.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I question how many property owners are even motivated by potential penalties. Like, sure, if there's a big notice in the news saying "STORE OWNER GETS 70 TO LIFE IN ACID VAT SNAFU" then probably a small handful of people will notice and change their ways, but I'd wager most people aren't thinking about what could go wrong when they order doors to be locked or obstructed or whatever, they're just thinking about preventing thefts or fitting more poo poo into their warehouses or otherwise just solving some immediate problem. It's the same kind of thinking that leads people to e.g. snip off the ground plug on their appliances, or disable smoke detectors that keep going off, or etc. etc. etc. They're not thinking about how unsafe that is, they just want to get on with their lives.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Great, and those people can be in prison for a while reflecting on that and hopefully the next person that takes their job does better and doesn't kill anyone through negligence.

\/ That would be an excellent way of nationalizing sectors of the economy. Seize property/companies with large enough or consistent enough health, safety, and workers rights issues. They either start running a tight ship or we do it for them, it's win win. If the cops can take and sell your car after X speeding tickets they should be able to take your chemical plant after X serious violations.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 7, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'd just be happy if safety laws were aggressively applied and lovely building/business owners actually destroyed over it. Not a slap on the wrist fine, severe financial penalties that ruin them and significant prison time. So many just don't give a poo poo because the prosecution rates are so low and they generally get off scot free or paying some tiny set fine anount that hasn't been updated since the 1970s. Or the people at the top just throw someone under them under the bus.
Yeah I didn't mean that it should be literally first degree murder, but that it should be handled with the same priority and severity of punishment. Prison time plus forfeiture of the property sounds about right.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I question how many property owners are even motivated by potential penalties. Like, sure, if there's a big notice in the news saying "STORE OWNER GETS 70 TO LIFE IN ACID VAT SNAFU" then probably a small handful of people will notice and change their ways, but I'd wager most people aren't thinking about what could go wrong when they order doors to be locked or obstructed or whatever, they're just thinking about preventing thefts or fitting more poo poo into their warehouses or otherwise just solving some immediate problem. It's the same kind of thinking that leads people to e.g. snip off the ground plug on their appliances, or disable smoke detectors that keep going off, or etc. etc. etc. They're not thinking about how unsafe that is, they just want to get on with their lives.

People are almost always better motivated by the threat of being caught than the penalty involved. Meaning that making super-harsh penalties is not very effective if people still believe they won't be caught - if you increase the chances of catching people (and the perception that people are caught) then you can significantly boost compliance even if the penalties aren't as harsh. Unfortunately this means regularly and repeatedly inspecting places, which is something that is difficult and expensive to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ashcans posted:

People are almost always better motivated by the threat of being caught than the penalty involved. Meaning that making super-harsh penalties is not very effective if people still believe they won't be caught - if you increase the chances of catching people (and the perception that people are caught) then you can significantly boost compliance even if the penalties aren't as harsh. Unfortunately this means regularly and repeatedly inspecting places, which is something that is difficult and expensive to do.

The fines are set to what is needed to cover the inspections, one hand washes the other!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

" Owner Emmett Roe received a 20-year prison sentence, of which he served only four years. The company received the highest fine in the history of North Carolina,[3] which was less than the federal minimum."

Eat The Rich.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Huh, I used to go past that all the time, I always wondered what it was.

quote:

No specific individuals or groups were blamed and the deaths were attributed to misadventure, although the delay in evacuation and the flammable building materials were condemned.
Absolutely loving guarantee that whoever owned it was related to someone high up in government. That place is so incestuous it's insane.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Baronjutter posted:

The fines are set to what is needed to cover the inspections, one hand washes the other!

Then you get the same situation that results in speed trap towns.

Anyways to a lot of larger businesses those would be pretty low fines. I like the model that I believe is most common in northern Europe where fines are based on income, so it's intended to hurt as much no matter what your income is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

This exactly.

Anecdote time. I live in the SF Bay Area and my wife runs a non-profit art center in San Francisco. After the Ghost Ship burned, there's suddenly a lot more attention and focus on safety in the art community. The vast majority of people are motivated not by the potential for legal penalties, but a genuine desire to not see their friends burn alive in a loving building fire. In the cases where safety is inadequate, it almost always boils down to:

1) People are pig gently caress ignorant about safety standards and have no goddamn idea what they're doing when it comes to running a safe operation. (This thread is a testament to that principle, applied to construction standards.)
2) The only time any building gets inspected is when the owners or business operators file for some kind of renovation or expansion. There are no routine inspections in most cases (elevators get an exception for some reason.)
3) Arts communities are invariably poor as hell, so they actively seek out the cheapest rents possible irrespective of all other concerns, because that is literally their only option.

Obviously this is not the same as factory owners locking their workers in. But even those factory owners' callous disregard for worker safety (it's never just the fire doors, there's always tons of other safety violations) is mostly down to combined factors of cost, ignorance, and non-enforcement via inspection.

The shame of it is that all three are addressable problems. There's no real reason why we can't afford to routinely inspect workplaces, places where the public can gather (including art spaces), anywhere that people rent from someone (e.g. all rental property), etc. Enforcement of safety standards costs money but saves lives; the money probably has to come from taxpayers, and when there's a disconnect between the money spent and its benefits, it's too easy for politicians to label it unnecessary regulation and cut spending. There's no real reason why people have to be ignorant about safety, we're just lovely at educating property owners, business owners, and everyone else involved. Give people a reason to stop being ignorant and they'll learn themselves up drat quick. If 90% of safety violations were caught by inspection within a year, that would be a huge improvement regardless of whether fines remained a slap on the wrist or not. Obviously repeat offenders need to just be straight-up shut down. You don't even have to take possession of a factory, just literally close the loving doors until the required safety measures are put in place.

And for the third factor I mentioned which is specific to arts communities... well, poo poo people, spend more money on supporting the arts, will you?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mllaneza posted:

" Owner Emmett Roe received a 20-year prison sentence, of which he served only four years. The company received the highest fine in the history of North Carolina,[3] which was less than the federal minimum."

Eat The Rich.

This part's even better!

quote:

Within two years of the accident insurance companies and the North Carolina business lobby together introduced legislation limiting the compensation available to injured workers and relatives of killed workers.

Stay the gently caress out of North Carolina. Holy poo poo.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DrBouvenstein posted:

As promised, here is the absolute dog-poo poo remodel job the previous owner did in my bathroom.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ
Jesus.

I'm slightly more relieved when I consider the work that the previous owner did to the downstairs half-bath and seemingly spackled on a tube of silicone all over the drain piping.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From my facebook

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's just a really clever photoshop right?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
One of many things that would actually be cool as gently caress with some polyurethane or something.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Tunicate posted:

From my facebook
I'm trying to decide if this is awesome or awful, and I keep coming up "yes".

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

nmfree posted:

I'm trying to decide if this is awesome or awful, and I keep coming up "yes".

Imagine trying to shave in that sink and then clean it up.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

If you use soap, brush your teeth or have hard water that thing is going to look like garbage within a week.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I think I would keep scraping my knuckles every time I washed my hands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You'd have to clean it with a scrub brush. That would be the only way to keep it looking shiny and cool. Even then it would be way too much work.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is a crime against geology.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amethyst is ugly.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Finally a sink low enough to pee in without straining. Why did that take so long?

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Amethyst is ugly.

what an arty urinal

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nm posted:

Thankfully, the thing to do here is buy all the old victorians, craftsman, spanish, and mid-century modern houses here, often in kind of disrepair and restore them to their former glory.
Or at least attempt to, they seem to get rebuilt so fast there has to be some terrible stuff going on.

Speaking of what I think is crappy, my uncle is rebuilding his 20s duplex (he lives in the top), which is a pretty cool spanish style structure. He's doing a lot of good things, replacing all the knob and tube stuff, redoing the plumbing and wood work (he is one of the best wood turners in the country and did the turnings for the state capitol when they restored it), but he is replacing all the lathe and plaster walls with drywall. I know that makes all the rewiring easier, but drat do I hate drywall in an older house.

My last house was a remodeled 1910 Craftsman, and I would have killed for drywall, because tearing down the lathe and plaster would have let us insulate the walls properly. There was a huge temperature gradient in the house in summer and winter, and patching plaster is a pain in the rear end.

Not to mention all the wiring and plumbing bodges in the walls. It had an old iron claw-foot tub that had been built into a tub surround, and was up against the northeast wall on the second floor. One day in January, it started raining in the kitchen below, and I kicked in the side of the tub surround to discover that the lousy gently caress that built it left the decorative chrome piping from the floor up to the faucets before sealing it up in an effectively uninsulated crawlspace.

So of course they froze. I replaced 'em with hot water heater flex hoses and insulated against the outer wall of the house, and we ran a space heater in that room in the winters.

Baronjutter posted:

If people responsible for setting policies that result in deaths were held responsible for their actions this would be an attack on are economy.

I'd prefer it to involve an attack on their genitals. With a ball-peen hammer.

If only to ensure that someone that stupid can't breed.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 9, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I installed the new projector, boss!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

Amethyst is ugly.

Seems like an unnecessary step on the 'piss on the floor' SOP.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

kid sinister posted:

I installed the new projector, boss!

I completely lost my poo poo at this. Holy crap, lmao

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Sormus posted:

Seems like an unnecessary step on the 'piss on the floor' SOP.

You just know someone's going to come along and either pee straight into the floor drain or on the tile like a urinal, letting it trickle down the wall.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

xergm posted:

You just know someone's going to come along and either pee straight into the floor drain or on the tile like a urinal, letting it trickle down the wall.

Those people have no fun. Piss in the trough, uphill!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCoevpt5TE

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
More like somebody sits on it to poo poo and breaks it off the wall, then shits on the broken pieces just to make repairs a little more fun.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Who's this idiot?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think I've found the ugliest bathroom

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT