Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I feel quite well rested now. Like Nando during a Brazilian Free Practice session.

The big house wasn't so easy on me. I feel a lot of pent up poo poo posting coming...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

harperdc posted:

Lewis is an incredible talent, but you can tell he is a bit immature (in a similar way to some musicians, actors, etc) and that Mercedes care far less about his personal life than McLaren did. It also is important to point out that you can't have your cake and eat it too -- it's annoying to hear some fans both complain about drivers having no personalities, but then complaining when Lewis shows his. is it because he's black? :v:

Max is great and possibly an even bigger raw talent than Lewis is, but I really wish he'd spent more time in junior series. Maybe that's me being an old man and wishing he'd earned things the hard way, but also difficult to believe he's gone from a junior series to assumed F1 championship contender inside three years. Unreal.

and yes, Bacon Briefcase season is the Best Season.

Lewis has been a championship contender since his first fre*king race in F1 but he's British and has a Snapchat account so it doesn't count

poty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

On Lewis (since poo poo all happened today in testing other than Nando starting to melt down because he just realised he has another year of this poo poo):

He is a complete dumbass, I really don't care since most people ultra focused on one single thing end up like that but it is amusing it make fun of. The bigger issue I have he's lazy as poo poo and drives like garbage a quarter of any given season and nobody calls him on it. His fans and the media seem to only remember that 75% of the year when he has his poo poo together.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lewis's inauthenticity is why he's authentic to me. He comes across as this deeply insecure guy with a persecution complex that's also ridiculously good at racing. He's fascinating in the same way infamously bad-temper drivers like Reutimann and Mansell were.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

poty posted:

Lewis has been a championship contender since his first fre*king race in F1 but he's British and has a Snapchat account so it doesn't count

This but unironically.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-honda-has-no-power-and-no-reliability-880808/

Fernando Alonso: officially out of patience, fucks to give

quote:

When asked whether he was able to take Barcelona's Turn 3 flat out, Alonso also made a joke about the lack of performance.

"Oh yeah, for us, not only Turn 3," he smiled. "For us nearly all the corners are flat."

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Our Nando :smith:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That honestly feels a bit like a directive from McLaren. Alonso has made very, very few public criticisms of Honda over the last two seasons. It's possible they decided it's time to publicly shame them into fixing their problems.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Came here to post this. He's definitely mad as heck.

quote:

"I don't think we are too far back in terms of chassis side," he said, when asked to assess McLaren's position.

"We have only one problem: that is the power unit.

"There is no reliability and there is no power. We are 30km/h down on the straight, every straight.

"So when you are 30km/h down on every straight it is difficult to have a feeling on the car.

"Everything feels good, but when you arrive to normal speed you don't know what is going to happen."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

That honestly feels a bit like a directive from McLaren. Alonso has made very, very few public criticisms of Honda over the last two seasons. It's possible they decided it's time to publicly shame them into fixing their problems.

When Alonso has had an outburst it's been explicitly about the engine these past few years. The difference is that he's now doing it out of the car.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Alain Post posted:

Lewis's inauthenticity is why he's authentic to me. He comes across as this deeply insecure guy with a persecution complex that's also ridiculously good at racing. He's fascinating in the same way infamously bad-temper drivers like Reutimann and Mansell were.

All his off track stuff just makes me think "awww he's a nerdy kid from Stevenage trying really hard to be cool"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

When Alonso has had an outburst it's been explicitly about the engine these past few years. The difference is that he's now doing it out of the car.

Which he's done, like, twice. Being angry in the middle of the race and yelling "GP2 engine!" isn't remotely the same as giving an extensive interview pinning 100% of the blame on Honda.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah, I just don't think it's directly from Mclaren and it's probably more along the lines of "the main guy who made sure this poo poo didn't happen is gone and we just can't give enough of a gently caress given the situation now."

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

I feel quite well rested now. Like Nando during a Brazilian Free Practice session.

welcome back. Tough in the can huh?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

"I want to win races and I want to be on the podium," said Alonso, who took the last of his 32 grand prix victories nearly four years ago.

"If everything goes in the wrong direction, I will attack next year.

"It brings me more motivation to continue and win because I will not stop racing without a good feeling and a good result that I think I deserve.

he ain't dead yet

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Something they should absolutely be nailing Honda on is not implementing TJI last year. They knew last year was going to be a lame duck year and they should've used that to understand atleast part of the technology better. The issue is they're throwing absolutely everything on this thing at once, I'm sure the meetings to discuss the problems are a complete cluster gently caress because nobody knows where to even start.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GramCracker posted:

Even Eddie Irvine said McLaren is now most likely hosed with Ron gone.

I saw Eddie Irvine on some random sports program the other day talking about how great it is that Brawn is in charge and how he's looking forward to watching in 2017 and so on. Really chilled out and funny and would make a great sky prestenter other than the fact that the BBC guy kept on having to apologise for all the swearing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't really like Their Lewis (whose name notice I spelled correctly because all the mods are British and will only allow rivals.com puns about other drivers) but you have to admit he did sing the Cool Runnings song on twitter.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alain Post posted:

Yes, I'm not a Lewis Fan or a Sky Presenter or anything but I do like that he is more interesting than many of the other drivers, who were seeming bred in a lab to give happy corporate PR statements.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure about that, it's mostly Sky's fault for doing bad interviews and asking the exact same dull questions they have already answered 10 times before on a race weekend. Whirline for example is a funny fucker, but I've only ever seen Sky do one interview where he has been able get that across. Perez ranting about trump whenever he got near a microphone was amazing but Sky never had the balls to expand on that either.
Sky spend so much time doing their own little circle jerk with Herbert and Hill or Boring Mcdougle that they forget that no one gives a gently caress about bitter old farts talking about their glory days. It's not like the teams and drivers won't talk to them, teams like Manor would have killed for more air time, but Sky have always concentrated on the British drivers and whoever is leading the championship, and filling time with Herbert and Hill on a funfair ride is more interesting than putting a couple of midfield drivers on a funfair ride, apparently .

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

he ain't dead yet

He means he will attack next year in the WEC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fernando Alonso, 2018 Le Mans winner for Toyota. WHOAH

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
That would be a pretty amazing "gently caress You" to Honda for not having their poo poo together for 3 years of F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

He should.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It looks like 2 versions of the same article merged into one, but it still sounds like Lewis will not enjoy the starts this year :D

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revealed-new-f1-start-rules-will-be-a-lot-harder-for-drivers-880670/

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Honda's really tarnishing their reputations over this. I wonder why it's going so badly, this is the fourth year that they've been working on an F1 engine.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda's been bad at F1 for nearly 20 years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Their V10s and V8s weren't bad. Not the cream of the crop but not hilarious and embarrassing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Their V10 was actually extremely powerful but they exploded constantly.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Toyota never made a great engine and they had pretty much infinite money at the time. Hard to get everything to just fall into place the way you want it to even with all the resources

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Toyota never made a great engine and they had pretty much infinite money at the time. Hard to get everything to just fall into place the way you want it to even with all the resources

Toyota inexplicably based their team in Germany, that was a huge part of the problem.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nico Rosberg beat Hamilton. That should tell youy everything that is to know about Lewis.

Also Alonso should have stayed in Ferrari. What a dumbass.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We've gone over this literally a thousand loving times. Alonso's working relationship at Ferrari had degraded to the point where it was literally impossible for him to stay. They all despised each other. It's not as if he just randomly decided McLaren and a brand new Honda engine were going to win races immediately.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

We've gone over this literally a thousand loving times. Alonso's working relationship at Ferrari had degraded to the point where it was literally impossible for him to stay. They all despised each other. It's not as if he just randomly decided McLaren and a brand new Honda engine were going to win races immediately.

Well he has a great relationship with Honda now. All is fine then!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Oh wow a thing changed!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Toyota inexplicably based their team in Germany, that was a huge part of the problem.

TME is really good dude, what are you on about. If anything their failure was due to massive bureaucracy. Kobayashi alluded to the same thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

TME is really good dude, what are you on about. If anything their failure was due to massive bureaucracy. Kobayashi alluded to the same thing.

What does this have to do with attempting to hire from the primarily UK-based F1 engineering talent?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Human Grand Prix posted:

TME is really good dude, what are you on about.

It is really a lot harder to poach staff from other teams when you're not based in the same country as all those other teams.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm starting to think the issue with them is that they've been in and out of the sport so there's zero knowledge retention. The two engine manufacturer who have always been in consistently the past 30 years also just happen to have the two best engines, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Alonso is a tar baby.

• Locked thread