Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Solice Kirsk posted:

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

( ゚д゚)、 vomits saliva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ElGroucho posted:

I live in a city with two big state run schools, a school for the deaf and a school for the blind. I used to sell men's clothing, and every time a blind dude came in, it was always a lot of fun, because they would ask you to walk them around, feel the clothing, ask how things look, ask about style, and try things on. They'd usually bring a friend and we'd have a good time. Never had a bad experience with a blind guy.

The deaf guys would come in, become irate if you didn't know sign language, and then write out what they were looking for; however, it was always in the most chicken-scratch, terrible loving handwriting ever. They hit another level of rude in writing, too. "TUXEdo! NeeD it NoW!" It was never fun, even when they could lip read.

I get the frustration of not being able to communicate, but goddamn, work on your handwriting and grammar. Even the dudes who had little PDA devices had terrible syntax in their sentences.

Makes sense. Deafness is one of the more socially isolating disabilities. Social isolation is bad for humans. It should be a lot better for kids now than kids 25 years ago, what with texting and the internet. But of course the adults currently guiding deaf culture grew up without those things.

“Blindness separates people from things; deafness separates people from people.” ― Helen Keller

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Makes sense. Deafness is one of the more socially isolating disabilities. Social isolation is bad for humans. It should be a lot better for kids now than kids 25 years ago, what with texting and the internet. But of course the adults currently guiding deaf culture grew up without those things.

“Blindness separates people from things; deafness separates people from people.” ― Helen Keller

To put it another way watch this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pffft, what would she know. She was a rich white cis female.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pffft, what would she know. She was a rich white cis female.

Great, now I feel bad and I'm laughing, thanks a lot

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So what did he want to be called? Mos Deaf?

Yasign Bey

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Matishearu

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
This Trump voter is torn between support for the president and an Obamacare plan that saved her life

quote:

Watson also voted for Donald Trump, believing the businessman would bring change. She dismissed his campaign pledges to scrap the Affordable Care Act as bluster.
This is literally that episode of the Addams family where a candidate for city council says he'll drain the bog next to the Addams's home and Gomez decides to back him on the basis that politicians never keep their promises.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It is with some pride that I can safely say I would be a goddamn pariah to these 'deaf culture' chucklefucks. "You have an implant? :stare: And you like it? And you talk instead of signing? :stonk:" They'd trying to curse me out and make crosses with their fingers at the same time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It is with some pride that I can safely say I would be a goddamn pariah to these 'deaf culture' chucklefucks. "You have an implant? :stare: And you like it? And you talk instead of signing? :stonk:" They'd trying to curse me out and make crosses with their fingers at the same time.

Yeah, okay, but if you call them wankers use the signs instead of words. I bet the sign for wankers is hilarious.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, okay, but if you call them wankers use the signs instead of words. I bet the sign for wankers is hilarious.

It's exactly the sign you think it is. I'm completely serious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's exactly the sign you think it is. I'm completely serious.

As shown in this Jehovah's Witness anti-masturbation video for deaf people. Which someone set to 50 Cent, as one does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QReUbe4kp-o

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Do deaf kids wear band t-shirts as a way of rebelling against their parents?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As shown in this Jehovah's Witness anti-masturbation video for deaf people. Which someone set to 50 Cent, as one does.

This is fantastic and I am glad that I and my hearing-enabled brethren can enjoy the humor of this while deaf people can't.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah if you ran into them you would never hear the end of it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QReUbe4kp-o

Those facial expressions are amazing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Do deaf kids wear band t-shirts as a way of rebelling against their parents?
I actually don't know, neither of my parents are deaf, but one of my favorite shirts as a teenager *was* a huge baggy Linkin Park shirt, so :v:

Feonir posted:

Yeah if you ran into them you would never hear the end of it.
:golfclap:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I actually don't know, neither of my parents are deaf, but one of my favorite shirts as a teenager *was* a huge baggy Linkin Park shirt, so :v:

Well you were basically their target demo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone did a good A/T years ago about DEAF CULTURE and how xenophobic and toxic it can be. People didn't believe him but then a bunch of other deaf goons came in to share similar crazy stories. Then a Deaf goon came in and got super defensive and provided first hand proof of "Deaf Culture" and I believe comparisons of implants to cultural genocide or the destruction of native languages.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Baronjutter posted:

Someone did a good A/T years ago about DEAF CULTURE and how xenophobic and toxic it can be. People didn't believe him but then a bunch of other deaf goons came in to share similar crazy stories. Then a Deaf goon came in and got super defensive and provided first hand proof of "Deaf Culture" and I believe comparisons of implants to cultural genocide or the destruction of native languages.

Anyone got a link for this?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I remember the loving Austin School for the Deaf would wreck every other football team's poo poo in high school. I think it was because it was a really well funded school, which is a very typical statistic in determining football victories.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember the loving Austin School for the Deaf would wreck every other football team's poo poo in high school. I think it was because it was a really well funded school, which is a very typical statistic in determining football victories.

I’ll bet you never heard the end of it.

e: Wasn’t the football huddle invented by a deaf team?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

I’ll bet you never heard the end of it.

e: Wasn’t the football huddle invented by a deaf team?

I just never understood why we brought the band!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wasabi the J posted:

I just never understood why we brought the band!

*Siren blows*
"Hey! Game over!"
*Siren blows again*
"It's over! Stop playing!"
*Siren blows again*
"Go home! Shoo!"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Literally all I could think of watching that video and cracking up over here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5IZvVcKNQ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jamfrost posted:

Those facial expressions are amazing.

the one guy is just amazing

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I would also like to see this.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

trickybiscuits posted:

This Trump voter is torn between support for the president and an Obamacare plan that saved her life

This is literally that episode of the Addams family where a candidate for city council says he'll drain the bog next to the Addams's home and Gomez decides to back him on the basis that politicians never keep their promises.

yeah but trump didn't keep his promise to drain the swamp :smug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So my only experience with deaf people has been getting yelled at them when I worked retail. I don't know why but they were always angry about everything and always chose me to yell at. Then they yelled at me more for not knowing sign language and not making clear enough mouth movements or talking slow enough, but also talking too slowly because they weren't stupid and I shouldn't treat them like they were.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Acting like entitled dipshits is a univeral thing, unfortunately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5O6RtUQmXQ

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

So my only experience with deaf people has been getting yelled at them when I worked retail. I don't know why but they were always angry about everything and always chose me to yell at. Then they yelled at me more for not knowing sign language and not making clear enough mouth movements or talking slow enough, but also talking too slowly because they weren't stupid and I shouldn't treat them like they were.

Anecdotal evidence of mine is the deaf people I ran in to during service were awesome and patient as my dumb rear end deciphered what they needed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

What a bunch of babies.

Goanna just wanted to say hello and ask if they had any watermelon or dead mice it could eat.

Seriously, for a metre long predator, goannas are the most chill reptile I've ever met. The only time you should be afraid of one is if you can just see their tail or part of their head and can't work out if it's a snake or not.

They can even make friends with dogs:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Mar 9, 2017

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I would also like to see this.

Deaf goon was "the walkin man" or something like that and had a giant avatar of an ear, though the avatar may have been after he proved the A/T OP's point for him by being such a douche about Deaf Culture (TM)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

What a bunch of babies.

Goanna just wanted to say hello and ask if they had any watermelon or dead mice it could eat.

Seriously, for a metre long predator, goannas are the most chill reptile I've ever met. The only time you should be afraid of one is if you can just see their tail or part of their head and can't work out if it's a snake or not.

Not a goanna though...

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Gorilla Salad posted:

What a bunch of babies.

I don't mind being near one but those claws don't seem like the sort of things I want used to climb up my legs / face / whatever.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bogan King posted:

I don't mind being near one but those claws don't seem like the sort of things I want used to climb up my legs / face / whatever.

Aw man but what if you had an itch

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

is that a guard dog? It's clearly monitoring the situation.

stole that joke from the OSHA thread, sorry not sorry

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Somfin posted:

Aw man but what if you had an itch

I would use my own hands to scratch it and avoid ending up as content for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bogan King posted:

I would use my own hands to scratch it and avoid ending up as content for this thread.

Is this a sword spider