Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is me in loving high school.

Stay tuned for more, he's starting in the OF on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Julio Cruz posted:

Stay tuned for more, he's starting in the OF on Friday.

Why are they dragging out this extremely stupid fake "experiment"? Ugh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Noooooo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Your best hope is he decides he doesn't like minor league life and quits. He's definitely around for spring training until they start sending guys to their minor league assignments.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Your best hope is he decides he doesn't like minor league life and quits. He's definitely around for spring training until they start sending guys to their minor league assignments.

He already has special exemption to not play weekends because of his analyst job. Also I'm sure he's got plenty of money so it's not like he's really living the true minor league experience.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I mean, to be fair, Tebow was one of the greatest college football players ever, won a Heisman trophy (nearly 2), and 2 national championships. He was already a household name in America before he even made it to the NFL.

Also, Tim Tebow created a media circus from college football on regarding his outspoken Christianity, and became a martyr to some because people thought he got cut not because he was bad, but because of his faith.

This was going to happen regardless. I'd say it's independent of the fact that MLB has failed to make Mike Trout a household name.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Please rename thread title "Tebow Tootblan" thnx in advance

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TOOTBLASPHEMY

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loving hate Tim Tebow

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thrown Out On The Basepaths Like Atheist Nonbelievers

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I loving hate Tim Tebow

Me too, and I effectively know nothing about him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I didn't know he got loose in the wrong on-deck circle too. What a joke.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys (though they're doing as much of that as they can, of course) but as an extremely low-probability lottery ticket. While he's almost certainly never going to get into the majors (or even triple A), if he does they've got a bona fide star ready to go, and he's not exactly costing them much.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys (though they're doing as much of that as they can, of course) but as an extremely low-probability lottery ticket. While he's almost certainly never going to get into the majors (or even triple A), if he does they've got a bona fide star ready to go, and he's not exactly costing them much.

So if he makes it to the majors he'll sell even more tickets and jerseys you're saying? It's not like he's an amazing prospect or something that if everything works out will be a perennial all star.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

So if he makes it to the majors he'll sell even more tickets and jerseys you're saying?

Yes? I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement. Plus if you think he's getting a lot of press attention now it'd be 100 times as much for his major league debut.

Grittybeard posted:

It's not like he's an amazing prospect or something that if everything works out will be a perennial all star.

No he's a terrible prospect, but in the extremely unlikely scenario of "everything working out" then he could be anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean I'm just saying....

Julio Cruz posted:

Personally I don't think the Mets are looking at Tebow just as a way of selling tickets and jerseys

They're kind of hoping for this as the best case scenario, just a hell of a lot bigger. And I do agree if it should ever somehow come to pass (which would be more amazing than that year with the Broncos making the playoffs and beating the Steelers) it would absolutely loving ridiculous in the media on a level not seen since Re2pect.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Ah I understand you. It's a fair point, he's mostly a financial proposition but he'd also have other value in terms of press coverage, and possibly even of on-field contributions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean Tebow absolutely has the physical tools to play baseball, he's just completely loving clueless out there. A year or two in the minors could potentially change that though, and even if he never advances to a level beyond major league bench bat, a fourth OF who sells jerseys and fills seats isn't the worst thing in the world from an organizational standpoint.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I don't know if it's still the case, but back in September, Tebow jerseys were #3 in sales behind Kris Bryant and David Ortiz.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if you guys don't want to hear about tebow then stop talking about tebow?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Abel Wingnut posted:

if you guys don't want to hear about tebow then stop talking about tebow?

This is our revenge for Cubs posting.

You'll probably never have to hear about it again in a month or so.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that's when the attack comes
swish
from the sides
from the two other tebows you didn't even know were there

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your Taint posted:

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???

You saying Jesus couldn't hit a curve slide?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

get teebs on the American Olympic Handball team

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Senf posted:

Team Italy just had to "borrow" A's pitcher Zach Neal to pitch for them in a game against the A's. And no, I'm not sure how that works either.

Team USA's pitching staff is going to be made up entirely of Red Sox minor league pitchers when they play Boston tomorrow.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

You saying Jesus couldn't hit a curve slide?

Unsure about our lord and savior's hitting abilities, but I'm reasonably certain he wouldn't get doubled off of 1st.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one of the WBC announcers just compared bogaerts to jeter by talking about how calm his eyes are

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Unsure about our lord and savior's hitting abilities, but I'm reasonably certain he wouldn't get doubled off of 1st.

I'm almost certain Christians believe Jesus was a closer, and how often are they even on base?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Pancakes posted:

I'm almost certain Christians believe Jesus was a closer, and how often are they even on base?

Not until they're married I think

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In the big inning...

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

R.D. Mangles posted:

one of the WBC announcers just compared bogaerts to jeter by talking about how calm his eyes are

the announcer is still enthralled by the inescapable hypno-gaze of the captain and will only be released when jeter himself wills it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In the big inning...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

They're also comping Israel's 2B to Carlos Beltran a lot.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Spoeank posted:

Hot drat

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sydin posted:

I mean Tebow absolutely has the physical tools to play baseball, he's just completely loving clueless out there. A year or two in the minors could potentially change that though, and even if he never advances to a level beyond major league bench bat, a fourth OF who sells jerseys and fills seats isn't the worst thing in the world from an organizational standpoint.

Although I am doubtful he could actually have good enough D to ever be a 4th outfielder on a MLB team. What are the chances of him developing into that after 2 or even 3 years in the minors. 1%? 5%? And I think thats being generous.

But I still am kinda rooting for him. Something so cool to me about multi sport pros.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd put his chances of ever making the MLB at <1% he is too old and far too under developed to get there. He might be able to hit fastballs but major league pitching will absolutely chew him up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

I'd put his chances of ever making the MLB at <1% he is too old and far too under developed to get there. He might be able to hit fastballs but major league pitching will absolutely chew him up.

Yeah, Tebow has about as much chance of making the majors as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Spoeank posted:

Except for the ones who go for the back-door slide.

• Locked thread