Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

City governments just want to pay a contractor to set up the cameras and passively collect their 30% cut. Whenever people actually make the government spend resources trying to defend the tickets they tend to get thrown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

lite_sleepr posted:

Would you mind if I used this GIF for a new avvy:

http://i.imgur.com/u3x9aBd.mp4

Please do

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Buca di Bepis posted:

City governments just want to pay a contractor to set up the cameras and passively collect their 30% cut. Whenever people actually make the government spend resources trying to defend the tickets they tend to get thrown out.

Someone posted in automotive insanity about how they contested every ticket and made a deal every time to pay a fine but get no points on their license. I may be remembering that wrong but it seemed to fall in line with how the court system works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

? It was like a 45 zone and the infraction was for $80.

I'll live.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

LingcodKilla posted:

? It was like a 45 zone and the infraction was for $80.

I'll live.

idk. I never wrote a speeding ticket for less than 15 over the limit, 5 over seems pretty speed trappy. Trappish? Speed Trap-like.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ouch. $80 for 5 over?

Memphis gave me a $50 ticket for 10 over in a ticket fiesta with cops behind a building and another in the bushes with the radar gun. loving Memphis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got a couple of speed warnings within about a month of each other, on the same stretch of road. You can drive 45 on most of it but they drop it to 30 in that one spot. Needless to say I really watch my speed there from now on.

The legit speeding ticket I got in Wisconsin for 12ish over was $200.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I pretty much always go 10 over and never get a ticket. I never slow down when I see a cop either. I figure that just pisses them off.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Slowing down is admitting guilt.

I just don't really speed anymore. Cops are sneaky and I'm always carrying. My car smells like rolling probable cause outside of Colorado.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

orange juche posted:

Ill be 30 this year and i dont really go out to get hammered, yeah ill split a pitcher or 2 over a pizza at a good pizza joint but I dont really go out with the express purpose of getting ripped. I left that poo poo behind in the military.

I still dont know what the tolls are like on the turnpikes because we dont have those in GA.

idk man. living in the suburbs seems hellishly boring but thats just me. i wouldnt want to live directly on top of a bar but being able to walk almost anywhere i want to go is great.

the price to use tollroads(md-100) depends on the time of day and usage. the price to use the tunnels or bridges is fixed.

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/ICC/ICC.html

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

One time I had a cop point at me and flash his lights like he was trying to intimidate me or something when I was driving home in the middle of the night. I was going 29mph in a 30mph zone because I knew that cops love to hide in the side streets in that area. Cops often are dickbags on a power trip IMO.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rad Lieutenant posted:

idk. I never wrote a speeding ticket for less than 15 over the limit, 5 over seems pretty speed trappy. Trappish? Speed Trap-like.

Yeah the loop around D.C. Is kinda lovely. I'd be a little irritated if it was 65 and I was 5 over and got a ticket but the limit was much lower.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Don't get tickets because of professional courtesy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't speed, either. I think most of my driving is commercial these days so its easy as gently caress to just say gently caress it and go slow in the big white truck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nz you get a speeding ticket for 10km/h over so 6mph but they are changing it to 4km over. I feel a lot safer having to constantly watch my speedo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What's like a normal highway speed there. Here is 100k or 60 mph

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

What's like a normal highway speed there. Here is 100k or 60 mph

Varies state to state.

The 85mph part of Texas is just on parts of I-10 in the middle of the desert. It's mostly 75 throughout the rest of the state.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We have something called safer speed areas which are a 90km limit too. What they really mean is you should retard your speed so they should be called retarded speed areas.

Like seriously with modern cars and technology there is no reason at all to be limited to 90 motherfucking k

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Nice! posted:

Varies state to state.

The 85mph part of Texas is just on parts of I-10 in the middle of the desert. It's mostly 75 throughout the rest of the state.

Michigan just upped ours and I don't think it has gone into effect yet :argh:

Up until recently it was 55 within any city limits which was a lot of fun.

Edit: it also only seems to apply to portions of the state north of Lansing i.e., the empty parts. Snydered again :argh:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 9, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
In Australia, there's this highway called the Pacific Highway. 6 loving lanes in some places I think. My dad is friends with one of the dudes that designed it. Said he was really pleased with it, and that he designed it to be driven on at a 100mph in any conditions, thanks to slow curves, correct camber and great drainage.

max speed 65mph and you bet there are cops and speed cameras fuckin' every 12 feet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

We have something called safer speed areas which are a 90km limit too. What they really mean is you should retard your speed so they should be called retarded speed areas.

Like seriously with modern cars and technology there is no reason at all to be limited to 90 motherfucking k

You live on 2 tiny islands, it doesnt take more than a few hours to cross your entire country, minus the ferry ride. It takes me 50 minutes to get home driving at ~130-140kph (i drive fast and im the only person on the road at 1 am gently caress you) being limited to 90kph doesnt put more than a couple minutes on your travel time tbh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

doesn't it? i can drive for about five hours in one direction from auckland, and about 7 in the other, plus 3 hours crossing, and then probably close to 15 across the south island

i get what you're saying but nz isn't that small, google maps reckons 29 hours including ferry to go from top to bottom

it isn't THAT small of a place

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

doesn't it? i can drive for about five hours in one direction from auckland, and about 7 in the other, plus 3 hours crossing, and then probably close to 15 across the south island

i get what you're saying but nz isn't that small, google maps reckons 29 hours including ferry to go from top to bottom

New Zealand is 38% the size of Texas alone. It's tiny.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

I guess the reduced speed areas are so you dont hit any hobbits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

New Zealand is 38% the size of Texas alone. It's tiny.

your country is just huge

haha i'm reminded of when i was thinking of driving from georgia to texas and my mate wisely advised me to take a plane instead

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

haha i'm reminded of when i was thinking of driving from georgia to texas and my mate wisely advised me to take a plane instead

No doubt we have plenty of living room.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Varies state to state.

Large sections of I-35 between Austin and Dallas are definitely 85.

I could have sworn Montana had some 90 mph roads the last time I was out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

at the date posted:

Didn't know they had upped that, too. First time I hit that stretch on I-10 gently caress almost a decade ago it blew my mind.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

at the date posted:

There are parts of Montana that are basically "speed limit optional" during clear daylight hours.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

What part of Texas to what part of Georgia? I did Seattle to San Francisco last weekend in a day no problem.

bengy81 posted:

There are parts of Montana that are basically "speed limit optional" during clear daylight hours.

I was driving home from Montana a decade ago and right when I left Ennis a herd of cows crossed the road and my tires got full of hot steamy cowshit and I had to drive on the shoulder for a few miles because I barely had any traction. Did the 1000 mile run back to CA in 13 hours.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I haven't gotten a ticket in about 10 years, knock on wood.

Driving while young sucks. Don't get me wrong, I did stupid poo poo, but not what I got tickets for. You're just easy prey to cops. I "fought" a bullshit speeding ticket and he just didn't show up, that was nice.

I'm not one to be all "MY RIGHTS GET A WARRANT," but I remember the two cops that pulled me over. I was extremely polite, and it was all routine. They asked me to get out and sit on the curb, and then proceeded to rifle through all my poo poo. Literally searched my car top to bottom for 30 minutes. I was too scared to even know what the hell nor did I know my rights. Some bs.

It sucks how much tickets can gently caress you. Yeah, there's traffic school. But one more point after that and your insurance gets jacked way the gently caress up for a while

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

What part of Texas to what part of Georgia? I did Seattle to San Francisco last weekend in a day no problem.

I was driving home from Montana a decade ago and right when I left Ennis a herd of cows crossed the road and my tires got full of hot steamy cowshit and I had to drive on the shoulder for a few miles because I barely had any traction. Did the 1000 mile run back to CA in 13 hours.

atlanta-houston

since i was on a timeframe the plane was the way to go

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

atlanta-houston

since i was on a timeframe the plane was the way to go

I didnt mind the majority of that drive. The coast was pleasant if a bit swampy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I'm going to be in Atlanta for 10 weeks this fall, traveling back and forth to Nola on weekends. The drive is about 7 hours and gas is free but flying looks like it'll cost me about $400 round trip to come home for the weekend 😬

And I'm guessing by the time I drive to the airport, get though security and deal with any flight delays on a Friday night it might only save me a few hours. I'm assuming the Atlanta airport is a nightmare since it's the biggest hub in the country but I've never been.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The Atlanta airport is a disorganized poo poo fest.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

Varies state to state.

Who would have thought Maine and Michigan were the only two states East of the Mississippi to have their poo poo together

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

not caring here posted:

The Atlanta airport is a disorganized poo poo fest.

Given the amount of traffic it gets (more than literally everywhere else) I think it does alright.*

*TSA sucks everywhere though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Booblord Zagats posted:

Who would have thought Maine and Michigan were the only two states East of the Mississippi to have their poo poo together

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Edit: it also only seems to apply to portions of the state north of Lansing i.e., the empty parts. Snydered again :argh:

Always expect disappointment from Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to bed, but I'm probating Wasabi The J one more time.

• Locked thread