Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha I think he gets the point now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh man, the flower shrine girl is the scariest thing in a Zelda game since the shopkeeper murdered me in Link's Awakening.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wait so no metal things then????

:) Thanks all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why would anyone think Breath of the Wild has bad music?!

I just got to Rito village and god drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1pI_5Y6HKU

Also new ringtone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq0Nw1xHHU
:3:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

While I don't give much attention to GAMER AWARD SHOWS at the end of the year, if BOTW doesn't win everything it's nominated for I'm going to laugh. I can't think of a single release coming out this year that's going to come close to matching it's ambition/quality. It's nuts.

Super Mario Odyssey is going to fundamentally change the platforming genre as we know it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I find myself actively looking for Stone Talus's to fight just so I can hear this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4BPpmKetk&t=21s

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

This is why I hope they make a boatload of DLC, introducing various new systems, dungeons, perhaps items like a hookshot, etc.

I am all for whoring themselves out and giving us more more more

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Is the spring of wisdom quest bugged? I shot all the poo poo off the dragon and got a scale. The adventure log simply says I got the scale, yet I'm supposed to go talk to Medda who doesn't have poo poo to say.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I haven't finished it yet and don't know how it ends, but apparently the "good" end leaves the door pretty open for some Post-Ganon story DLC so hopefully they go for it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Only two complaints so far:

- The Lost Woods are kinda bullshit. The first part is easy but the second part is 100% trial and error with no environmental indicators of where to go as far as I could tell.

- The rain mechanic. Yeah, it makes sense for walls to become slippery and difficult to climb during rain. But it's bullshit when it starts raining while I am trying to sneak past the flying Guardians around Akkala Tower by climbing around the areas they are monitoring, causing me to literally just stand there in a safe spot until it stops raining.

Other than that, goty and everything.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just found out you can use the Bomb rune while paragliding. DEATH FROM ABOVE. :supaburn:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Cleared Eventide for real this time. Really cool place and I'm real bummed I got kinda spoiled on it.

Also, About that dragon that flies around the southeast area, I assume I can shoot it and get a scale from it, but is there any other quest associated with it like there was for the Lanaryu dragon? I haven't seen any kind of Spring of Courage or something similar to the Lanaryu quest.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Only two complaints so far:

- The Lost Woods are kinda bullshit. The first part is easy but the second part is 100% trial and error with no environmental indicators of where to go as far as I could tell.

It's the wind. They give you a torch and two flames to light it in so you can carry it with you. Watch the way the embers flow and always follow them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jejoma posted:

Is the spring of wisdom quest bugged? I shot all the poo poo off the dragon and got a scale. The adventure log simply says I got the scale, yet I'm supposed to go talk to Medda who doesn't have poo poo to say.
IIRC You have to drop the scale into the spring at the top of the mountain

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Moltrey posted:

Also, About that dragon that flies around the southeast area, I assume I can shoot it and get a scale from it, but is there any other quest associated with it like there was for the Lanaryu dragon? I haven't seen any kind of Spring of Courage or something similar to the Lanaryu quest.

There's a quest to do with that dragon. Look/listen for Kass around the jungle area.

More specific: The quest Kass gives you in Zonai, "In the Serpent's Jaws", leads to the Spring of Courage.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 9, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Your Computer posted:

Why would anyone think Breath of the Wild has bad music?!

I just got to Rito village and god drat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1pI_5Y6HKU

Also new ringtone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq0Nw1xHHU
:3:

I do love that accordion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spergatory posted:

It's the wind. They give you a torch and two flames to light it in so you can carry it with you. Watch the way the embers flow and always follow them.

Fuuuuuuuuck oh well, I did it anyway.

Also Eventide island was sweet, feeding that octorok the rusty broadsword and getting a royal broadsword back was awesome. Killing the Hinox while naked except for a giant broadsword was fun as hell

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I find myself actively looking for Stone Talus's to fight just so I can hear this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4BPpmKetk&t=21s

This music is absolutely perfect for the "walk past a rock, ground starts shaking, oh noooooo" talus experience

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Am I allowed to be sad that the "ancient song" Rito music puzzle wasn't the Wind Waker earth sage tune?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGA59krNnCg

I like how Helixsnake can break any game in funny ways

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, the Rito section really feels like an afterthought compared to some of the others. The lead up to the Divine Beast is basically non-existent. You don't rescue the guy or help him do anything or even really have more than one conversation with him before he's all 'prove yourself' and then you complete a really easy challenge and he's like 'alright cool let's go.' The Beast itself isn't actually shown doing anything bad like the others, it just kind of flies around menacingly, and the pre-dungeon fight, the puzzles, and the boss in Medoh were all three the easiest so far (having done Naboris and Ruta before this).

Oh well. At least the power is cool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Am I allowed to be sad that the "ancient song" Rito music puzzle wasn't the Wind Waker earth sage tune?

Thanks for spoiling that, now I'm sad too you jerk :(

God drat, Wind Waker had some of the best music ever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So a couple questions:

1) am I able to ever somehow increase my climb speed?

2) I just traded my first four spirit orbs for stamina... because of course! Are there a limited amount of spirit orbs insofar as I may eventually not be able to get hearts if I prioritize stamina?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Feenix posted:

So a couple questions:

2) I just traded my first four spirit orbs for stamina... because of course! Are there a limited amount of spirit orbs insofar as I may eventually not be able to get hearts if I prioritize stamina?

1) There is a set of equipment you get from some shrines that increases climb speed

2) At absolute minimum, assuming you invest fully in stamina, you can get 27 hearts and 3 full rings of Stamina. You can alternatively get up to 30 Hearts and 2 2/5th rings of Stamina.
That is assuming you do all the Shrines.

There is also a respec option available a bit into the game.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anidav posted:

Im sure the tower is doable but it's probably the hardest one ive run into thus far.

Oh no doubt that tower is a complete bitch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zore posted:

2) At absolute minimum, assuming you invest fully in stamina, you can get 27 hearts and 3 full rings of Stamina. You can alternatively get up to 30 Hearts and 2 2/5th rings of Stamina.
That is assuming you do all the Shrines.

Hopefully this means the DLC will have 12 new shrines :) or 8 new ones plus a heart container from the dungeon boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found that Eventide Island everyone's been talking about :stare:

Really glad I finished it first try, given that I couldn't save. I mostly tried to avoid combat as much as possible, which was for the best with the weapons I had available. Interesting challenge, though.

Feenix posted:

So a couple questions:

1. There is climbing armor you can find.

2. If you do every shrine in the game, you'll have enough spirit orbs for 30 upgrades total. Maxing out stamina will take 10 of them. You'll also get a heart container from each dungeon boss like in other Zelda games, for a total of four. That said, you really want to get 13 hearts before too long. There is something you can't do without at least that many (temporary hearts don't count) which, while technically optional, is something you probably want to do. That said, you can also respec your spirit orbs for like 20 rupees per upgrade when you reach a place called Hateno Village, so don't stress about it too much.

What I did was get 2 stamina upgrades, then reach a total of 13 hearts, then start working on maxing out stamina. It's impossible to max out both but I really doubt I'm ever going to need 30 hearts and, if I ever do, I can use food to get plenty of temporary ones.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jejoma posted:

It tells you to drop the scale into the water, which opens a shrine. You somehow missed a very important message that appears directly onscreen.

Spergatory posted:

Man, the Rito section really feels like an afterthought compared to some of the others. The lead up to the Divine Beast is basically non-existent. You don't rescue the guy or help him do anything or even really have more than one conversation with him before he's all 'prove yourself' and then you complete a really easy challenge and he's like 'alright cool let's go.' The Beast itself isn't actually shown doing anything bad like the others, it just kind of flies around menacingly, and the pre-dungeon fight, the puzzles, and the boss in Medoh were all three the easiest so far (having done Naboris and Ruta before this).

Oh well. At least the power is cool.

Zora was basically the same and yes very disappointing. Really wish Rito had their own quest like the Yoga Clan you have to do for Garudo. Feels rushed.

The power is indeed baller though!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

socialsecurity posted:

Not sure how much I should mention this but if you have an Android phone there are insanely cheap alternatives to using Amiibos.

If anybody knows anything about this, drop me a spicy PM because I am greatly interested

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh, also I should mention there is a hard cap of 30 real+temporary hearts so once you start getting up there its way more efficient to cook any hearty foods by themselves for the full heal +1-4 temp hearts you can actually use.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It tells you to drop the scale into the water, which opens a shrine. You somehow missed a very important message that appears directly onscreen.

Zora was basically the same and yes very disappointing. Really wish Rito had their own quest like the Yoga Clan you have to do for Garudo. Feels rushed.

The power is indeed baller though!

Zora had a bitching side quest I had to do though. Could just be because I tackled it in the early game though. Basically since I needed Shock Arrows to beat the Divine Beast, they told me to go up the mountain and sneak around the Lynel while picking up 20 of his extra shock arrows that he leaves lying around. So I did that, and I was very sneaky, and I made extra special sure not to aggro him because I had like five heart containers and hadn't found a single fairy and knew instant death when I saw it. It was cool and tense as hell, but I'm guessing if you have shock arrows from somewhere else, you don't have to do it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kahoWJOsjoc

I beat Ganon. After getting the Master Sword, freeing the Divine Beasts, and taming a horse, there's no reason not to take him on. I just brought along some arrows and an attack boost healing potion. It took a couple tries to get the attack patterns down but as soon as I did it wasn't too bad of a fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh yeah, having beat the game.

Make sure you tame a horse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Emalde posted:

If anybody knows anything about this, drop me a spicy PM because I am greatly interested

I also want to know.

Anyway, I did that tower people were talking about in the past couple pages. It wasn't that bad. It was a bit annoying that i had to eat my good meat as well as another thing I had made that refilled stamina. Just barely made it to the top.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Zora had a bitching side quest I had to do though. Could just be because I tackled it in the early game though. Basically since I needed Shock Arrows to beat the Divine Beast, they told me to go up the mountain and sneak around the Lynel while picking up 20 of his extra shock arrows that he leaves lying around. So I did that, and I was very sneaky, and I made extra special sure not to aggro him because I had like five heart containers and hadn't found a single fairy and knew instant death when I saw it. It was cool and tense as hell, but I'm guessing if you have shock arrows from somewhere else, you don't have to do it.

Yeah, you can just buy the arrows. And IMO even that quest was very quick and easy, even if its something, while the Rito literally have NO quests which is even crazier. But both of those are over in a couple minutes compared to the Gerudo quests you have to do, which are far more interesting and involved.

The cool thing is there's tons of side quests everywhere, but it just seemed lame for the main story to resolve itself so instantaneously.

I mean, technically the Rito has a side quest where you fly around and shoot balloons, but you can do it in like 10 seconds and then you're done so ... yeah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, you can just buy the arrows. And IMO even that quest was very quick and easy, even if its something, while the Rito literally have NO quests which is even crazier. But both of those are over in a couple minutes compared to the Gerudo quests you have to do, which are far more interesting and involved.

The cool thing is there's tons of side quests everywhere, but it just seemed lame for the main story to resolve itself so instantaneously.

I mean, technically the Rito has a side quest where you fly around and shoot balloons, but you can do it in like 10 seconds and then you're done so ... yeah.

Yeah, the Goron and Gerudo are both pretty in-depth compared to the Rito and Zora. Zora feels better than the Rito though because you have the long interaction with Sidon on the way to Zora's domain, people actually remember you there so there are more story hooks and in general its a cooler area.

Rito is really just... there. And Rivali's champion cutscene is weak compared to the rest too. Like, its okay, but none of his 'Hotshot rival' persona shows up anywhere else. And he's dead and no one remembers him so there's no thematic continuation.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 9, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

There was also the treacherous trek to the Zora Domain. Since it's always raining, you can't bullshit it quite as much as you might otherwise and are more or less forced to stick to a general path that is lined with tough enemies. Sidonis checks up on you every so often, being a cool dude, and once even warns you about a Moblin sneaking up behind you. I snuck around the Lizalfos, stealth killing them when I could, up until the game introduced the concept of thunderstorms by having lighting strike a metal box I was hiding behind, crispy-frying me to within an inch of my life and alerting every Lizalfos in the area to my presence. I escaped with my life though. And I knocked the Moblin off a bridge. It ruled.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

There's a quest to do with that dragon. Look/listen for Kass around the jungle area.

More specific: The quest Kass gives you in Zonai, "In the Serpent's Jaws", leads to the Spring of Courage.
Okay, awesome thank you! I haven't even been to that region yet so that explains why I was about it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spergatory posted:

There was also the treacherous trek to the Zora Domain. Since it's always raining, you can't bullshit it quite as much as you might otherwise and are more or less forced to stick to a general path that is lined with tough enemies. Sidonis checks up on you every so often, being a cool dude, and once even warns you about a Moblin sneaking up behind you. I snuck around the Lizalfos, stealth killing them when I could, up until the game introduced the concept of thunderstorms by having lighting strike a metal box I was hiding behind, crispy-frying me to within an inch of my life and alerting every Lizalfos in the area to my presence. I escaped with my life though. And I knocked the Moblin off a bridge. It ruled.

That is true, and Sidonis has way more character than any of the Rito. They really got the weakest of the 4 arcs.

Gerudo > Goron > Zora > Rito (as far as their storylines, not how much I like them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Guys it's Sidon, Sidonis is a turian in Mass Effect