Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What would people want from a 4th New Trek movie? A retelling of a classic story? Something completely new? I'd like to see the crew deal with something crazy huge, like a V'ger level threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want to see Kirk throw a doublepunch into Apollo's perfectly chiseled abs. Also something something warptrails something something can't melt duranium beams.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

What would people want from a 4th New Trek movie? A retelling of a classic story? Something completely new? I'd like to see the crew deal with something crazy huge, like a V'ger level threat.

Star Trek: An Inscrutable Sparkle Creature
Tagline: Yes we are doing that plotline again

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

twistedmentat posted:

I recently rewatched all 6 TOS movies and I feel like a redo of V with less time with Sybok and more time on Sha Ka Ree fleshing out the alien with a backstory and motives (with proper VFX and everything) wouldn't be a bad movie.

Taking the whole movie to get to Sha Ka Ree then being there for 10 minutes and resolving the situation with a photon torpedo and a Bird of Prey blast was... unsatisfactory.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

What would people want from a 4th New Trek movie?

god willing, they will finally resolve Kirk's daddy issues

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely enjoys Star Trek IV, so my vote is to see the new cast travel back in time to 1986 and save the whales. Double dumb rear end on you!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spoeank posted:

I recently rewatched all 6 TOS movies and I feel like a redo of V with less time with Sybok and more time on Sha Ka Ree fleshing out the alien with a backstory and motives (with proper VFX and everything) wouldn't be a bad movie.

Taking the whole movie to get to Sha Ka Ree then being there for 10 minutes and resolving the situation with a photon torpedo and a Bird of Prey blast was... unsatisfactory.

It was not their worst idea for "Kirk gets into a fight with God," but definitely the most boring one they could have put to screen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Apollodorus posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, maybe?

I've watched the series before, it's good, but not quite there in terms of old-fashioned nautical uniforms. (poo poo, the FPA uniforms remind me more of army uniforms)

Also as much as I enjoyed the series I think it could benefit immensely from a reboot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely enjoys Star Trek IV, so my vote is to see the new cast travel back in time to 1986 and save the whales. Double dumb rear end on you!

You're really not, it was a very successful movie and extremely in the spirit of the original series.

That said, I'm really not sure the current cast has the chemistry to pull it off. I think even the TNG cast, from the stuffiest of the Trek series, would do a buddy movie better than Pine and Quinto.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've watched the series before, it's good, but not quite there in terms of old-fashioned nautical uniforms. (poo poo, the FPA uniforms remind me more of army uniforms)

Also as much as I enjoyed the series I think it could benefit immensely from a reboot.

IG were at one point lined up to produce a re-adaptation of the books which would start airing this fall, though I haven't heard much about it since it was announced.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd be very surprised if that George Kirk movie ever gets made. Paramount will just pay out Quinto and Pine after the rest of the cast declines to come back and the movie arm of the franchise will be dead for another 5-10 years.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
There's no way they'd make a cheaper one like IV with that cast. All 3 have been massive, big budget tent poles and they aren't going back on that until another reboot comes around.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Honestly I have a hard time thinking of any kind of story I'd really like to see them do in this universe. None of the characters are anything special with the possible exception of Urban's McCoy, who is a loving caricature of Kelley's performance. Quinto's Spock is the worst offender, he's a shrill, effete simp. It's impossible for me to suspend my disbelief that this guy would be a respected senior officer. But it's hard for me to pin down any major ways in which any of the cast is substantially more interesting than their original series counterparts (in particular, Takei and Nichols did so much more with so much less than Cho and Saldana that it makes me like the actors even less than the characters). That makes it difficult refit me to guess what sort of plot would suit them best. I think Yelchin's death is probably a good excuse for them to put paid to these reboots without coming out and saying "were deep sixing this poo poo because it doesn't make the megabucks, may the force be with you Trekkers!" and I hope that's exactly what they do.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

What would people want from a 4th New Trek movie?

A somewhat smaller budget space comedy, like the last Star Trek 4.

But since that won't happen, give me the Kor/Kang/Koloth trio in whatever context works. Maybe a large scale retelling of Errand of Mercy or one of the other TOS Klingon episodes. Did Curzon have the Dax symbiont at this point? Toss him in too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe have a Kirk/Klingon team up movie? He doesn't have the massive hate for them in the JJverse, so that could be interesting. Plus one of the the things that I hated about Into Darkness (which I actually kind of liked) was when we finally see the Klingons, they're all hissy and growly.

So, watching the first episode of the Expanse, and Bashir's parents are in it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If they have no budget for the 4th movie and only Pine & Quinto, they should just remake "Requiem for Methuselah" but with a little of Jerome Bixby's "The Man from Earth" thrown in.

Just two hours of Kirk and Spock asking a really old man questions on one small set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just make Balance of Terror. A bottle movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

Did Curzon have the Dax symbiont at this point? Toss him in too.

I think Dax would have been either Emony or Audrid around that time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought we already knew what they were doing.

Kirk and Daddy Thor time travel team up.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I bet that whole announcement was just out-of-the-rear end bluster to build hype for Beyond before it came out. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they just ditched it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

I think Dax would have been either Emony or Audrid around that time.

Emony. Yes, she had sex with McCoy (according to Dax)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Emony. Yes, she had sex with McCoy (according to Dax)

Yet somehow Dr Crusher has never heard of the Trill even though they were on earth boning humans a hundred years ago and also can never shut the gently caress up about their previous lives

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

VitalSigns posted:

Yet somehow Dr Crusher has never heard of the Trill even though they were on earth boning humans a hundred years ago and also can never shut the gently caress up about their previous lives

Crusher skipped the "Who's Who in the Federation" class at the Academy for more phaser range practice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VitalSigns posted:

I like to imagine that Trill's being symbiots were a secret until the incident with Odin happened.

I could have sworn someone will Trill spots appeared in a NuTrek movie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

My impression is that the Trill as a *species* weren't in the Federation even if they were obviously Federation-friendly. Like Norway and the EU.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The perfect story for the next Trek film is painfully obvious; it's the concept Roddenberry was pitching for years. The Enterprise crew goes back in time and gets mixed up in the Kennedy assassination, and in order to restore The Correct Timeline, Spock has to finish the job with a rifle from the grassy knoll.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Number_6 posted:

The perfect story for the next Trek film is painfully obvious; it's the concept Roddenberry was pitching for years. The Enterprise crew goes back in time and gets mixed up in the Kennedy assassination, and in order to restore The Correct Timeline, Spock has to finish the job with a rifle from the grassy knoll.

Spock's pseudonym?

Rafael. Cruz.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

Natalie Portman is already attached.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

A recurring race's first appearance is never quite canon. Can we make that a rule? It would have save the Enterprise writers such a headache.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
City on the Edge of Forever during the Bell Riots.

Obvious Trump parody.

Edit: make Edith Keeler transgender for extra commentary

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 9, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whatever they do for the fourth movie, it's definitely going to have substantial ties to past continuity even though this is the reboot series for cool kids who are too radical for your father's oldtrek :smugbert:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Number_6 posted:

Close to the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6naJ08Tskk

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Number_6 posted:

They have to update it for today's audiences so it will be about 9/11 instead

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT 2.10: "Vanishing Point"

Me: "Hey! It's an episode all about the Transporter Conundrum and how you die and/or have an identity crisis every time you use it. This will be fun... Oh, well, it's like a ghost story in space. I guess that's alright... Oh! I see. Hoshi is like a time traveler because her matter was converted into energy so because of technobabble she was able to see two days into the future and save the ship! I'm sure that's where this is going to end!"

~Two minutes later~

Me: "It was all a dream? Just a dream? Really, Enterprise? Really!? What lazy, cop-out garbage is this--"

*Reads writing credits by Berman and Braga*

"Of course."

gently caress this show.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

twistedmentat posted:

Space Whales, but instead of wandering around San Francisco they're taking selfies with the cast of Jersey Shore.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Beachcomber posted:

City on the Edge of Forever during the Bell Riots.

Obvious Trump parody.

Edit: make Edith Keeler transgender for extra commentary

I'd be down for this if it still fits within Past Tense parts 1 and 2. Have Brooks, Siddig, Farrell, Dick Miller and Bill Smitrovitch play their characters from Past Tense. Just take continuity and bend it into a pretzel.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Number_6 posted:

Well, Roberto Orci thinks 9/11 was an inside job so this sounds like something up his alley

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Number_6 posted:

Red Dwarf one upped them by having Kennedy be his own assassin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, Roberto Orci thinks 9/11 was an inside job so this sounds like something up his alley

Well, thankfully, Orci hasn't had any involvement with Trek for like two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Timby posted:

Well, thankfully, Orci hasn't had any involvement with Trek for like two years.

I heard that Orci and Kurtzman are going to be involved with Discovery. I hope that isn't true, because those guys are like pros at ruining everything I love and hold dear.