Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

What's a good book or series of books that I can get my brother in law who is in prison for armed robbery?

His interests include armed robbery, thug life, comedy and uh...I don't know what else. I'm just trying to get him something interesting that distracts from living in actual hell. I think he mentioned liking the Dresden Files last time, if that helps at all.

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Papillon
The Gulag Archipelago
Kiss of the Spider Woman

Alternatively, you could send him books written by other prisoners such as Mein Kampf. Might earn him some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Harry Potter is a delightful read for all ages.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think you have to order any books for prisoners online from a reputable source (i.e. Amazon), and they have to be paperback. Probably depends on your state's department of corrections though.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The concept of a book snob is pretty hilarious to me.

Also yeah, Vonnegut and Pratchett are both great, and that reminds me of a required course in college. CS majors had to take one of two implications of technology on society courses, one focused explicitly for CS majors, the other a general sociology one. I talk to some people who've taken each and one is basically a semester of slash dot articles about how all copyright needs to be abolished. The other reads Vonnegut (Player Piano) and similar stuff, and spent a lot of time talking about the debate between nuclear power vs fossil fuels vs renewable energy and the issues with each.

Thank you whatever genius did this for siphoning off all of those people to their slashdot hell and whatever poor bastard of a grad student had to sit there and listen to them.

Man you just rocketed me back to a time when Slashdot was relevant and even the thought of making money via software made you the literal devil. The posters on /. made the worst goon look like a well balanced, functional human being.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I think you have to order any books for prisoners online from a reputable source (i.e. Amazon), and they have to be paperback. Probably depends on your state's department of corrections though.

There's a number of nonprofits that offer books to prisoners that know all of the hoops (subject matter, packaging, appealing rejections) to go through: http://prisonbookprogram.org/resources/other-books-to-prisoners-programs/

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Ehud posted:

What's a good book or series of books that I can get my brother in law who is in prison for armed robbery?

His interests include armed robbery, thug life, comedy and uh...I don't know what else. I'm just trying to get him something interesting that distracts from living in actual hell. I think he mentioned liking the Dresden Files last time, if that helps at all.

Anything by Solzhenitsyn it'll really take his mind off things

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think I'm addicted to phenibut

quote:

Side effects

The side effects of phenibut are said to be similar to but milder than those of baclofen.[5] They include sleepiness and hangover-like effects such as headache and depression once the drug has worn off.[5]

Overdose effects

Symptoms of overdose include lowered body temperature, muscle relaxation, and sleepiness.[5]

Withdrawal effects

Limited evidence indicates that withdrawal symptoms of phenibut include severe anxiety, nervousness, tremors, agitation, dizziness, irritation, fatigue, loss of appetite, rapid heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, tension, psychosis, hallucinations, and insomnia.[5] These symptoms may last as long as two weeks.[5] Tolerance to phenibut may develop rapidly with repeated use.[5]
be careful m'dude

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I used take it once every 7 days but I've shortened it to once every 5 days which feels ...dangerous. But man, you have never slept until you sleep on phenibut, i don't move for 10 hours and wake up with my body and brain fresh as hell, it's the best sleep aid I've ever used

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

went to the rugby 7s in las vegas this weekend. 7s is a fun game y'all. just sucks it's all played in bursts instead of every weekend, otherwise it'd be a great offseason alternative to football

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ehud posted:

David Peace might fit the bill but it's British as gently caress

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Also melatonin owns. Used to wake up all the time thinking about work but I finally sleep through the night

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
My melatonin is kickin' in y'all...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Melatonin is prescription only in aus. I cam buy russian brain chemicals and lithium oroate over the counter though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Melatonin gives me hosed up dreams every time I use it and NyQuil makes me have weird sleep. I'm still looking for a decent sleep aid but I have crippling depression so I guess I have one built in!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gently caress I need a smoke.

Come on waking up at 4:30!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Melatonin gives me hosed up dreams every time I use it and NyQuil makes me have weird sleep. I'm still looking for a decent sleep aid but I have crippling depression so I guess I have one built in!
If you have good headphones, listen to ASMR videos on YouTube.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thanks for all the book suggestions, friends.

You guys with sleep problems intrigue me because I never have problems going to sleep.

do you all exercise on a regular basis?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I can sleep almost any time, anywhere. It's cool, but it makes waking up not the easiest thing. Getting older is making that less of a problem though.

For some reason I pass out as soon as I get on an airplane. I'm only awake for takeoff about half the time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Big Jesus posted:

I can sleep almost any time, anywhere. It's cool, but it makes waking up not the easiest thing. Getting older is making that less of a problem though.

For some reason I pass out as soon as I get on an airplane. I'm only awake for takeoff about half the time.

I like to imagine you're actually narcoleptic

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Personally I walk a few miles every day and don't seem to have any trouble falling asleep unless I try to go to bed before 11:30. I seem to be keyed for 12-8, which never happens though because my toddler wakes up at 6:30. :doh:

Well, that as I rarely seem to sleep more than 7 hours at a stretch as my back no longer appreciates it. :corsair:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

Don't fly that often, but I have no idea how anybody can sleep on a plane all cramped and upright.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Quiet Feet posted:

Don't fly that often, but I have no idea how anybody can sleep on a plane all cramped and upright.

Sleep drugs and a special pillow that sits on your tray table and inflates to meet your head.

But I do flights that are minimum 3hr and up to 14hrs, so I need that sleep if I am to function without losing a day to jetlag.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Yeah when I'm flying to Europe/Asia I snag an ambien from my dad, otherwise I'll wake up after a few hours and be hosed.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The Big Jesus posted:

Yeah something about the recirculating air and the full body pressure exerted as the plane is taking off knocks me out quick

But I'm a broad tall dude who takes the aisle seats and the drink cart tags my shoulder every time so it's short lived

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

I box 3-5 times a week. I really need to reintegrate lifting back into my routine though

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

You guys with sleep problems intrigue me because I never have problems going to sleep.

Lift weights three times a week, used to also do sprint training once a week but the knee injury put running on hold until a couple weeks ago. Doesn't change that every so often I'll go through a phase where I wake up at roughly 3 am and be instantly wide awake, regardless of exhaustion. Drugs don't seem to do a whole lot about it, but weirdly audiobooks do, I'll just plug in headphones, throw on something boring, and it usually knocks me out within 20 minutes.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Built a gym at our shop at work. Lift 4 days a week and try to do a cardio session at least once. I don't know how you can live a sedentary lifestyle - my level of self loathing would be way too high.

Having your own gym is seriously the best though. If (hopefully soonish!) I buy a house, it'll be one of the first things I'd want to build. Spending a couple hours in the gym >>>>>

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ehud posted:

I hit the gym about 2 or 3 times a week. I'm pretty active at work too. I just take it to help put me to sleep. Once I'm out, I'm snoring away until I have to pee or my alarm goes off.

My wife is 10 times worse though. She took Ambien until here recently. She's going to be taking Lunesta I believe.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
There is nothing more noble than the pursuit of muscle and strength

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

There is nothing more noble than the pursuit of muscle and strength

this is what I actually believe

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I do too, I don't know how to say it without sounding like a dumbass but building brutal strength and packing on dense slabs of muscle are my two favorite things

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Exercising sucks and is as much fun as, like, washing the dishes, except you also have to leave the house to do it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

1000%

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I truly enjoy working out. It blows, it's amazing.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The boxing gym I go to is literally across the street from me, so I have no excuses. Plus it's loving fun :D

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I got into middle management way too early and also my commute is like an hour each way please get me out of this sedentary lifestyle tia

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

I got into middle management way too early and also my commute is like an hour each way please get me out of this sedentary lifestyle tia

I had the same life and quit it all to go back to school to become a coach and don't regret my 23k a year lifestyle one bit

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

Exercising sucks and is as much fun as, like, washing the dishes, except you also have to leave the house to do it.

it is good to abuse oneself

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ehud posted:

it is good to abuse oneself

Agreed. Love to abuse you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fsif posted:

Nah. Just get some free weights and a cheap bench. Spring for a bike or a treadmill if you have the money/space.

Edit: fwiw I'm a Fatty Fatterson and probably will be my entire life but I'm vowing to take better care of myself than my father, who pretty much started falling apart in his 50s. Same history of heart disease and obesity though, thanks genetics! :smith:

If you want to burn calories but don't want to exercise, find a job that requires a lot of heavy lifting or at least gets you on your feet.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread