Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

MrLogan posted:

Malcolm Butler is a below average corner. I don't know why people keep saying he is good.

Because he is coached by the best coach that ever coached any professional sport and is very coachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, I think Malcolm Butler is pretty much at the "every year Pro Bowl, shy of All-Pro" tier. He's at least as good as Gilmore.

If he goes to the Saints, though, his career is cooked.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

:smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

Because he is coached by the best coach that ever coached any professional sport and is very coachable.

steve spurrier is coaching the pats?!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

pubic works project posted:

I stand by my premise that Dwayne Allen is not a good player and never stays healthy so he doesn't count.

That deal makes sense less because Allen is great (he isn't), and more because they give up a 4th and get Allen + a 6th + get to keep the comp pick Bennett will fetch, plus the Colts paid the expensive 1st season of Allen's' contract already.

In a convoluted way it's actually a really cheap deal for the Pats. If they signed a free agent depth scrub TE instead of trading for one, they lose the comp pick they should get for Bennett in 2018.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

listen to spurrier's final press conference here:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/steve-spurriers-final-redskins-press-conference-is-the-greatest-thing-ever

FIVE AND ELEVEN

NOT VERY GOOD

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/839866804054941696

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Kalli posted:

Because he is a good #1 cornerback. Not top tier, but he's quite good.

But that isn't true at all!

He had a 113 QB rating when thrown against him in 2015. In 2016 he had better numbers, but that was mostly due to the Patriots easy schedule.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/839866929670127616

he gon' be a titan IMO

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ok, this is good.

SIGN PRYOR YOU loving MORONS!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

sean10mm posted:

That deal makes sense less because Allen is great (he isn't), and more because they give up a 4th and get Allen + a 6th + get to keep the comp pick Bennett will fetch, plus the Colts paid the expensive 1st season of Allen's' contract already.

In a convoluted way it's actually a really cheap deal for the Pats. If they signed a free agent depth scrub TE instead of trading for one, they lose the comp pick they should get for Bennett in 2018.

Well if they're signing Gilmore they're losing it anyway

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Intruder posted:

Malcolm Butler being sent out of town would be the most "We have no loyalty" move the Patriots have done yet

The dude literally won you a Superbowl with a single tough, smart play
Hightower had two SuperBowls changing plays and they're probably letting him walk for a comp pick, or maybe not since it could get cancelled by the Gilmore signing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Stop paying guards lots of money please tia

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Gilmore signing is probably going to cancel out ONE of their big free agent losses. But they are probably going to have several.

Hightower - Likely gone for big $$$
Logan Ryan - Likely gone for big $$$
Bennett - Guaranteed to be gone for moderate to big-ish $$$

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 9, 2017

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hey, cool, the Panthers are getting an offensive tackle that won't be Mike Remmers. Hopefully Matt Kalil plays better with his brother.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

pocket pool posted:

After his Pro Bowl year he was continually injured, bad or both.

He will be going into a good situation in Carolina with a Pro Bowl LG and C and a run game to take the wind out of the pass rush. Hopefully he can regain his form?

You don't get any free agent LTs for cheap, but I hope we didn't break the bank on this guy.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

He's extremely good but got hurt last year. Glad we're not letting him walk away like Mitchell Schwartz.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

RumbleFish posted:

Hey, cool, the Panthers are getting an offensive tackle that won't be Mike Remmers. Hopefully Matt Kalil plays better with his brother.

I have a secret to tell you

He won't

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The bears are bad

quote:

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Jets and Bills were only willing to offer free agent Mike Glennon $8-10 million per year, and dropped out when the Bears bid upwards of $15 million annually on Glennon.

We don't even have the official numbers yet, but all reports on Glennon's anticipated signing in Chicago suggest he will indeed land $14-15 million per year. The Jets and Bills "kicked the tires" on Glennon at one point, but the Bears clearly had the highest opinion and valuation of him. We will do an individual post on the details of Glennon's contract whenever they are leaked.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Intruder posted:

Malcolm Butler being sent out of town would be the most "We have no loyalty" move the Patriots have done yet

The dude literally won you a Superbowl with a single tough, smart play

Yeah I'd be sorry to see him gone. My thinking is that he hasn't ever actually gotten paid - he was an UDFA - and he is quite sensibly refusing to sign anything but what he'd command on the open market, and the Patriots aren't interested when they can get one more cheap year out of him because of the whole RFA thing. Hopefully he gets paid, he deserves it and it won't happen on the Patriots.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/839868862707478531

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

The Gilmore signing is probably going to cancel out ONE of their big free agent losses. But they are probably going to have several.

Hightower - Likely gone for big $$$
Logan Ryan - Likely gone for big $$$
Bennett - Guaranteed to be gone for moderate to big-ish $$$

How much money do they have left to sign Hightower with now?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839870838526574596

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Tretter is good but gets hurt a lot.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo

Cooks and Gilmore on the patriots is unfair stop it

I'd love Nick Mangold at RG. Rumor has it he's been a friend of Tannebaum for a while so we should have the inside track. He's got versatility and it seems 7 a year gets him

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Why? This would make it likely they don't keep Pryor.

Or I guess it's a replacement for Hawkins. Britt is a 500yd/year guy. They did draft 4 WRs last year too.

He's played with horrible QBs. He's a legit WR1.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

$15m per year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man it sure is good seeing the Patriots let all their good FAs walk, maybe they will finally regress

*Patriots go 13-3*

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jesus christ why....out of all the FA recievers..

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How did the Bears even evaluate Glennon? Looked at his 2013 tape?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Amy Pole Her posted:

Holy poo poo

Cooks and Gilmore on the patriots is unfair stop it

I'd love Nick Mangold at RG. Rumor has it he's been a friend of Tannebaum for a while so we should have the inside track. He's got versatility and it seems 7 a year gets him

Very down with that price.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

They have $50 mil in cap space - Gilmore (~$10-11 mil in the first year if the APY is 14) + Amendola restructure (4-5mil)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

I have a theory that says they spend aggressively towards in the next couple of years to win another SB or two while they still have a QB who is willing to play for peanuts and get paid under the table in other ways.

I think this is the wrong way to look at it. Its not that they're unwilling to spend money - after all, they have to spend the money, it's gotta go somewhere - its that they are consistently unwilling to mortgage the future for today in the way some teams do by playing with the cap so they can spend money now that comes off the cap later. Belichick reportedly wants to outlast Brady so he can prove he's still the best without Brady, so I would be surprised if they start doing that. Plus Jimmy G has the same agent Brady does, so they can make the under-the-table payments work with him too :sun:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/839871566510870529

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

They have $50 mil in cap space - Gilmore (~$10-11 mil in the first year if the APY is 14) + Amendola restructure (4-5mil)

Definitely not worth counting them out for retaining Hightower then, especially since now it looks like Butler may not get paid. Hell, with that much cap space they could front-load the contract so the cap hit is lower in the future.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Depends on the contract details I guess, but should have cap space to spare if they want to use it on him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cowboys need to hurry up and cut Romo so my dreams can be dashed immediately instead of having to wait it out

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The Bills have one NFL caliber WR left on the roster.

Might wanna chuck some cash at free agents maybe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839872076488052737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Man things are going fast today
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/839872223783575553

• Locked thread