Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

hyperbole is this threads modus operandi hth

Autosport is as well though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pulling for Renault and Ferrari this year. It would be nice to see a competitive Honda but looks like I will be waiting for that one for some time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Most of the on track breakdowns have been Renault powered cars and there have been a lot of them, the Hondas have mostly made it back to the pits.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda has gone through like what, 5 engines at this point? That's a dumb metric to use man.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Red bull have had at least 3 engine changes as have toro rosso, the works team are on and off flat bed trucks. I think it's It's fair to say that both Honda and Renault are poo poo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Human Grand Prix posted:

I am no longer making any bold predictions. I don't understand anything that's happened in the last 2 seasons.

Don't let ignorance get in the way of some good ol' fashioned shitposting - remember what thread you're in!

I remain cautiously optimistic that we shall be seeing the finger on many a podium this season. :getin: Vettel/Ferrari.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Honda has gone through like what, 5 engines at this point? That's a dumb metric to use man.

That's an even dumber metric considering engine changes aren't punished in testing and have frequently been done by Honda solely because it's faster than repairing the engine. If they've gone through five engines it's because they've had five time-consuming problems, not because five have blown up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see a successful Honda just as much as you. It looks dire right now though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It'd be something if they were belting out monster times and then the engine goes after two laps, but it's loving dog poo poo and they haven't even opened the taps yet.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So Toro Rosso and Haas are definitely beating McLaren this year, right?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Number of engines blowing up are a bad metric as well if certain teams are turning theirs down to actually get track time and maybe to avoid bad press. My guess is that is what McLaren are doing now given Alonso's bitching to the press.

Cranking up an engine all the way and seeing when it explodes is probably a fairly smart thing for some teams to be doing right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That's exactly what they're doing. The problem is they're still having issues with the engine.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The worrying thing about this test too is the trap speeds.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You are supposed to crank the engine up to 11 and run it till it explodes on the dyno, if engines are still exploding during testing then something has gone hideously wrong.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can dynos replicate every condition though?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I imagine electrical interference is probably a huge issue now that the MGU-H is right in the vee of the engine and some dumbass probably thought of thinning down the insulation to save weight was a good idea when it was somewhere else. I also imagine a properly grounded dyno doesn't simulate the electrical conditions of a carbon fibre chassis.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I suspect the Honda will just be poo poo all season cuz they seem bad at F1 now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
These days pretty much, they stick them on gimbals and simulate G force and whatnot, and know exactly when each part should fail. Honda seem to be using the cars as a dyno.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Human Grand Prix posted:

Can dynos replicate every condition though?

Never, but you can do a better job or a worse job of replicating everything you can predict.

There will always be some freak combination of events, or a condition the dyno can't replicate, or something that's different on the car than in a dyno cell. You can never predict for absolutely every scenario. The difference is you'll only experience random one-off failures instead of systematic "car dies every time it goes out" failures if you do a good enough job.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

wicka posted:

Honda are saying all three engine failures this week have been due to electrical issues, which..........is dumb? The gently caress are they still working out with the electronics?

Well.......... They did electrocute Alonso once, and this is their first year playing with a full sized big boy ERS.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nico Rosberg beat Hamilton. That should tell youy everything that is to know about Lewis.

Also Alonso should have stayed in Ferrari. What a dumbass.

Yeah if only he had stayed he'd be as happy as Vettel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPxFDE807s

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

That Mexico race was poo poo and vettle telling charlie to gently caress off saved the whole drat show.

Well done vettle (baku)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Fumble posted:

Well.......... They did electrocute Alonso once, and this is their first year playing with a full sized big boy ERS.

Did anything ever come of that or was it just totally brushed under the rug?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

Did anything ever come of that or was it just totally brushed under the rug?

He died

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

He died

Well, that was a given. He is the most beautiful robot there is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

keevo posted:

So Toro Rosso and Haas are definitely beating McLaren this year, right?

Seems that way. Haas could be a top-five team the way things are going.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Liberty have done a sensible thing and asked the FIA to change the names of GP2/3 to formula 2/3, world council passed it today.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

So Flávio threw a surprise party for bernie and a load of washed up has beens showed up http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128424 Flávio thinks Bernie was treated poorly by a company that went "you don't do poo poo for your money, and haven't done since the 80s, why on earth would we keep you around when you no longer own any part of the company?"

The Americans stole our Bernie's F1, swindling him out of the fruit of his hard work like the innocent, advanced in years gentleman that he is

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fumble posted:

Well.......... They did electrocute Alonso once

Eh the paranormal/conspiracy subforum closed long ago

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

For some reason I find this image rather unsettling. Like the way they're all dressed in black as if for his funeral, forgetting that Bernard Ecclestone is immortal.

A bunch of children in this thread can't tell a kickass sex party when they see one

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

Liberty have done a sensible thing and asked the FIA to change the names of GP2/3 to formula 2/3, world council passed it today.

Only GP2 I think.

Calling GP3 Formula 3 would make no sense at all since that already exists and uses totally different cars.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

HJB posted:

They need to make "Where's Niki?" a bit harder really.

This is the hardest I've laughed all day today, thank you you glorious bastard.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Renault have owed up to thier ERS system being totally hosed.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://drivetribe.com/p/dkstR99ERH..._source=organic

The new regulations for 2017 promised us more aggressive looking cars than the year before. To that affect, the FIA incorporated rules about the V shape of the front wing, the way the end plates of the rear wing should “flow”, and under what angle the side pods should be. Paragraph 3.8.8 says that that angle should be 75 degrees. These rules are meant to give the cars a fast, aggressive look when viewed from above.

This is where the new loophole comes in. With the birds eye view, it’s clear to see how Ferrari made its actual side pod under a 90 degree angle. The carbon work in front (but still incorporated) of the side pod is set under a 75 degree angle, thus following the rules. This enables Ferrari to make their side pod smaller than they appear on other cars. And it gives them more room between the barge boards and the actual air intake of the side pod. All this should be able to generate a better airflow towards them.

There will be a day. When that day comes I will be there. I will be there and I will yell loudly. Alot.

Also RBR's new sponsorship with Aston Martin is so.. it's kinda sad. Just the whoring they obviously still have to do.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ferrari having to cheat to get within 5 car lengths of a proper car .... sad how low they go! #lewisforever #blessed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Formula One 2017: we all like Ferrari now, I guess, ugh whatever life is pain

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSptDxIaAGk

-_- lance stroll cannot stop saying "it is what it is" about his driving this week. #generationY #canadajet #blessed

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 10, 2017

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

poty posted:

A bunch of children in this thread can't tell a kickass sex party when they see one

Oh yeh it would be so awesome railing some super hot $3000/hr hooker whilst Flav is peeking over as hes getting blown. Niki alongside, his scabby, wrinkly body thrusting furiously. Max turning up with the extermination camp outfits.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
drat I am hard as a steel girder after reading that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Max Mosley did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread