Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

So I have 3 Mishra's Bauble because I stupidly sold ONE of them when I was cashing out of some of my unused modern cards. For Death's Shadow Jund, is anything worth running in its place that does anything remotely similar? Or anyone have a suggestion for a replacement card?

There are only downgrades unfortunately. If I were you I would run another tarfire and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nihil spellbomb could also work in a pinch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Someone, I think here, said that SCG was going to attempt to take over all GPs. Turns out, it's not SCG - it's ChannelFireball. I don't know what this means for the future of GPs, maybe someone who plays in some has an opinion. SCG has its own tour, but I wonder what other big TOs are going to do now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so channel fireball outbid a bunch of other stores for exclusive rights to GP's, if i'm reading this http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/future-grand-prix-2018-and-beyond-2017-03-09 right

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm the one that said that, it was said to me by an scg writer I know. Looks like they got outbid.

Seems like a good thing. GP's could use more consistency with how they're run and CFB is a good company. Maybe now SCG will focus more on their own events instead of splitting focus?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
After March 21st, if a player doesn't have a Wizards Play Network account associated with their DCI number, stores won't be able to look up their DCI number when enrolling them in an event. There are instructions for players to prevent this. This is going to cause absolute havoc at the next prerelease when nobody knows their DCI number and expect us to look them up, so we'll have to waste time giving everyone new numbers. Zero percent of people who even read that article or even know it exists are going to go check to make sure their DCI number is connected to a WPN account.

Part of their effort to do this resulted in a massive bug where dozens of players in our local database had their names replaced with a punctuation mark, so excuse me if I don't imagine this conversion going smoothly.

Edit: As for GPs, I guess I'm worried on behalf of players about the entry fees now that one company has a monopoly on them. They're already too high.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
GPchat: I hope we don't see repeats of what happened at GP London, where CFB refused to engage with the UK's Regional Coordinator at all and a whole bunch of judges told them to do one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nihil spellbomb could also work in a pinch.

Spellbomb, while good, can sometimes be a nombo with delrium and goyf.

BJPaskoff posted:

Someone, I think here, said that SCG was going to attempt to take over all GPs. Turns out, it's not SCG - it's ChannelFireball. I don't know what this means for the future of GPs, maybe someone who plays in some has an opinion. SCG has its own tour, but I wonder what other big TOs are going to do now.

I think this is a win for coverage at least. If they can continue to replicate the timeshifted matches like that one weekend it could turn into the best coverage ever.

Like a previous poster said, it does raise concerns that they will have a monopoly but the inconsistent TO's was very much an issue.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

GPchat: I hope we don't see repeats of what happened at GP London, where CFB refused to engage with the UK's Regional Coordinator at all and a whole bunch of judges told them to do one.

Wasn't London SCG or am I thinking of the wrong year?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Spellbomb, while good, can sometimes be a nombo with delrium and goyf.

I think this is a win for coverage at least. If they can continue to replicate the timeshifted matches like that one weekend it could turn into the best coverage ever.

Like a previous poster said, it does raise concerns that they will have a monopoly but the inconsistent TO's was very much an issue.

How does Spellbomb nonbo with delirium?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Retromancer posted:

I played a similar thing during EDM standard and yeah it feels better when

1. the Fevered Visions are mainboarded
2. everyone and their mother isn't running Ishkanah.

I played the R/U Flyers deck before EDM came out with Goldnight Castigator's that Saito got 19th with at a GP. That deck was also a laugh riot to play.

mcmagic posted:

Fevered Visions just doesn't seem great right now and I board it out alot... but I have no idea what to cut it for and it's so good in the matchups where it's good that I guess we still want it? Idk

Jabor posted:

I absolutely love fevered visions. It just dominates some matchups, and even when it's not fantastic it helps mitigate the fact that you're two-for-oneing yourself all over just to get your dudes on the board in a timely manner.

I guess it depends on your metagame though, it seems like no-one around here plays Mardu but a bunch of people are playing green-based loses-to-fevered-visions decks.

mcmagic posted:

It's bad vs Mardu and just OK vs 4 Color Cat.

Fevered Visions is a card I just love to play because it's super fun, it draws cards, it wins games, and sometimes is just spectacularly loses you games. A+ for fun.

This deck feels insanely well positioned against the top 3 decks in standard right now (Saheeli, g/b, and vehicles) It also had a lot of surprise factor at my local shop yesterday, so that probably helped. Hoping to keep it slightly under wraps until the PPTQ on Sunday and do a lot of testing with the team. I haven't seen any Marvel decks, but I know there will be at least one temur tower deck this weekend (a teammate is playing it)

Decks I played yesterday:
- Jeskai saheeli
- 4 color Saheeli/superfriends
- Bant Midrange
- B/r Vampires
- G/B

I won every match and everybody seemed completely perplexed as to how to deal with the deck.

R1 vs Jeskai Saheeli: Win 2-0

G1 I get to make a sweet, sweet, sweeeeeeet play. My opponent wasn't sure what I had going on, but I had a board of Advanced stitchwing and prized amalgam sitting at 5 mana. Opponent had a Saheeli in play and went for the cat combo.
Opponent: "make a million cats, kill you?"
Me: "play it out"
opponent moves into combat, in response I sacrifice Advanced Stitchwing, flash in Elder Deep Fiend tapping my opponents lands. float a mana off sanctum of Ugin, Exile Kozileks return from my graveyard for 5 damage to my opponents unlimited cats, sac the Sanctum to get a second Elder Deep Fiend to hand, and use my floating mana and 2 other lands to return advanced stitchwing and prized amalgams to my side of the board. Probably the greatest value play I have ever made.

G2 I go T2 Cathartic reunion into T3 Fevered Visions. Opponent drops a T3 Saheeli and +'s and passes and I get to have the following exchange: Opponent: "Move to end step, I draw a card, and I take two from fevered visions?"
me: "Fevered visions damage to Saheeli instead?"
Opponent: *reads fevered visions* "Oh god I've made a huge misplay"

R2 vs B/r Vampires: Win 2-0

G1: your creatures are generally bigger, keep removal ready for Kalitas.

G2: Side out your fevered visions, side in more removal.

R3 vs Bant Midrange (A local guy loves bant, loves brewing, and loves making decks specifically to beat popular midrange strategies) win 2-1

G1: I get the ol' T2 cathartic reunion, T3 Fevered Visions, T4 put 9 power on the board during opponents turn

G2: My opponent has an incredibly timed Baral's Expertise (?(!(????))) Which I respect. I think I could have won this one but I misplayed and forgot about lumbering falls.

G3: I get to flash in an elder deep fiend on my opponents upkeep and tap down all their land.

R4 vs 4 color Saheeli Superfriends Win 2-0

G1: turns out this guy is playing Ishkanah maindeck, but sometimes that doesn't matter because you put 12 power onto the board on T3 while your opponent is playing some oaths.

G2: the exact same as G1

R5 vs Golgari Win 2-1

G1: Opponent wildly overextends with 2x grim flayer, 2x scrapheap scroungers and a hissing quagmire right into kozileks return.

G2: I get stuck at 2 land for 2 turns longer than is acceptable and I spend too many resources getting rid of a mindwrack demon, only for it to be followed up by another mindwrack demon and a lilly minus to get the first mindwrack demon back.

G3: my opponent has T2 Grim flayer that eats removal, then a T3 lilly to get back Grim flayer, which eats removal. I have a fevered visions but I'm a little creature light. My opponent flips 8 cards into his graveyard off of lily and a mindwrack and literally hits 8 lands leaving him with no delirium. You can't even be mad, you can only laugh.

I played some test games against Mardu Vehicles as well and Kozilek's return is just gross against that deck.

The deck is just bananas. Thanks mcmagic for posting it because it just feels like it has no respect for the other decks in standard. Big ups to Wizards for printing literally zero graveyard hate. Also Nahiri's Wrath is an lol card and is good in this deck in the sideboard.

I will be sure to take notes and write a PPTQ report after this weekend!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I have no idea how everyone isn't stealing timeshifted coverage. It's great and they've been using it for a good two years.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Does anyone know what the standard rotation is going to be once Amonkhet is released? I'm living in Louisville now, and the next few PPTQs and IQs near me, plus an SCG Open in May, are all standard, which is not good for a mostly modern player. I'd like to try a deck or two, but I'm not sure if I should start getting now or just wait until then, depending on what rotates.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013

InterrupterJones posted:

Does anyone know what the standard rotation is going to be once Amonkhet is released? I'm living in Louisville now, and the next few PPTQs and IQs near me, plus an SCG Open in May, are all standard, which is not good for a mostly modern player. I'd like to try a deck or two, but I'm not sure if I should start getting now or just wait until then, depending on what rotates.

Nothing rotates until the block after Amonkhet.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

mehall posted:

Wasn't London SCG or am I thinking of the wrong year?

I though London was SCG I remember because of the awesome listing website that ment I didn't have to scrum down with unwashed nerds every round.

Wasn't the last uk CFB the last Liverpool sealed? The last Manchester one was those mindgames dudes I think.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

http://whatsinstandard.com/

Battle for zendikar is still standard legal for a while.

As someone who basically only plays modern, I would suggest either picking up something janky and cheap that also has decent modern cards in it or just skipping standard entirely. There is no value in dropping 150 bucks on what cards you don't have to play 3 events that you aren't probably going to enjoy. Standard is a dumpster fire.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

As someone who basically only plays modern, I would suggest either picking up something janky and cheap that also has decent modern cards in it or just skipping standard entirely. There is no value in dropping 150 bucks on what cards you don't have to play 3 events that you aren't probably going to enjoy. Standard is a dumpster fire.

Play R/U Zombies in standard. The price of the deck is 4x Kozileks return (sees fringe modern play), and 4x spirefbluff canal (sees modern play). Other than that every card in the deck is less than 3 bucks.

Also the deck is cool and good (biased opinion)

I do agree that standard is a dumpster fire though. It's good that wizards is panicking and trying to fix it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

That's what I was assuming. The R/U Zombies list posted and discussed here looks pretty fun. Otherwise I was thinking of doing 4-color Saheeli, since its variant is seeing modest Modern success.

Kids and Guns posted:

Nothing rotates until the block after Amonkhet.

It's still so confusing the way sets rotate now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

That's what I was assuming. The R/U Zombies list posted and discussed here looks pretty fun. Otherwise I was thinking of doing 4-color Saheeli, since its variant is seeing modest Modern success.

It's still so confusing the way sets rotate now.

Don't buy into modern Saheeli, trust me. While its not completely terrible, there are better ways to spend your money.

Nobody I know enjoys playing 4-color saheeli in standard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does Spellbomb nonbo with delirium?

It's not, he may have thought spellbomb was like relic. I guess it's a nonbo with goyf but shadow jund doesn't need your opponent's help making goyf huge.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Don't buy into modern Saheeli, trust me. While its not completely terrible, there are better ways to spend your money.

Nobody I know enjoys playing 4-color saheeli in standard.

Plus it's going to get banned out of the format in 4 days

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

If someone is attempting to pass off fakes in trades and deals with dealers you notify the police and let them do the investigation ya know, since it's fraud.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"This Future Sight Tarmogoyf clearly fails the loupe test, yet the guy is demanding equal value in Zendikar fetches. Please send over S.W.A.T."

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

DoctorOozy posted:

I though London was SCG I remember because of the awesome listing website that ment I didn't have to scrum down with unwashed nerds every round.

Wasn't the last uk CFB the last Liverpool sealed? The last Manchester one was those mindgames dudes I think.

CFB also did online pairings postings, because I remember Liverpool and it was great!
They ran out of Chaos drafts and stuff a bit, but they hit capacity for the main event which they hadn't expected to do, so it's understandable.
(Whereas Mindgames didn't even consider how much product they'd need for side events and were massively unprepared at Manchester for the demand. CFB were a little off, MindGames were hugely off, and didn't have online pairings.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Plus it's going to get banned out of the format in 4 days

Its possible. This next ban list update could be pretty wild. Anything goes these days. Nothing is out of the question.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

"911, what's your emergency?"

"This Future Sight Tarmogoyf clearly fails the loupe test, yet the guy is demanding equal value in Zendikar fetches. Please send over S.W.A.T."

I remember reading about someone getting pinched for selling counterfeit guitars to a pawn shop in the last year in my local area. Doesn't seem all that out of reach to me. Seems to me its worth pursueing and probably more effective than whatever a magic judge can do.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 9, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Counter-opinion: this is as good a time as any to buy into standard, since vehicles, both saheeli flavors and B/G are all basically block constructed decks and none of the important/expensive cards are going to rotate besides Gideon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uninverted posted:

Counter-opinion: this is as good a time as any to buy into standard, since vehicles, both saheeli flavors and B/G are all basically block constructed decks and none of the important/expensive cards are going to rotate besides Gideon.

Actually 4 days after today is as good a time as any to buy into standard

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

Its possible. This next ban list update could be pretty wild. Anything goes these days. Nothing is out of the question.

I remember reading about someone getting pinched for selling counterfeit guitars to a pawn shop in the last year in my local area. Doesn't seem all that out of reach to me. Seems to me its worth pursueing and probably more effective than whatever a magic judge can do.

You think involving the police and diving headfirst into a sea of bureaucratic and procedural red tape over a product that no cop has ever heard of is worth pursuing over calling a misguided nerd out on his bullshit and telling him to cut it out?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mezzanon posted:

The deck is just bananas. Thanks mcmagic for posting it because it just feels like it has no respect for the other decks in standard. Big ups to Wizards for printing literally zero graveyard hate. Also Nahiri's Wrath is an lol card and is good in this deck in the sideboard.

I will be sure to take notes and write a PPTQ report after this weekend!

Glad you like the deck I agree about it's matchups against 4 color cat, GB and Mardu all feeling quite favorable. I'm playing it in GPNJ so hopefully we have good results to talk about next week.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Edit: As for GPs, I guess I'm worried on behalf of players about the entry fees now that one company has a monopoly on them. They're already too high.
Do GPs even really compete against each other though? I guess I'm far away, so I'd only ever consider a couple of locations, but a GP in another city being $20 cheaper or something isn't going to get me to change venues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mezzanon posted:

More so than any other standard deck, it can have very clunky, bad draws. The average UR draw might beat the average draw from a lot of decks, but the deviation of those draws is much worse. It's a question of consistency because it's a synergy deck that needs its parts to come into play in a certain order. UR will sometimes stumble even with a good ratio of lands to spells.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I'm surprised Saheelis are selling for less than $10 on eBay. I guess people are wary that they're going to see a ban on Monday, and the deck looks like the weakest of the three decks in Standard. I wish I could make the $10 each I paid for them back, but whatever. I'm putting every good Standard card I own on eBay because who knows what's going to happen Monday.

I built the UR Zombies deck so I can have some fun on a budget.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm a little surprised it makes sense for CFB, or any organizer really, to host all GPs worldwide. They're going to have to heavily rely on local collaborations in places they have no presence, I'd imagine.

I'm curious just how lucrative the GP business is, and whether monopolizing it is a sign of growth or just a way of making things easier for Wotc.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Still grumpy I have to wait so long for cheaper Gideon's for modern sideboard play. That rollback was dumb.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

More so than any other standard deck, it can have very clunky, bad draws. The average UR draw might beat the average draw from a lot of decks, but the deviation of those draws is much worse. It's a question of consistency because it's a synergy deck that needs its parts to come into play in a certain order. UR will sometimes stumble even with a good ratio of lands to spells.

I can respect that opinion. I've been lucky that I've only had to mull to 6 so far in games, so I'm hoping to run decently hot over the weekend.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anybody on the walking ballista/hangarback/arcbound ravager with constrictor and hardened scales modern deck? CalebD played a version of it for CFB somewhat recently. There are a couple different builds out there and I'd like for this archetype to be my first foray into modern, but it seems like there's a lot to be shaken out outside of the core of the deck. Just wondering if anyone has a preference for a certain build.

Note: I don't want to play straight affinity.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What is this UR zombies deck looking like?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it has a lot of weird awkward draws and you really need both a Skaab/Stitchwing PLUS a red discard spell to keep anything and at least 1 Amalgam + the rest for an above average hand. In the finals of this PPTQ last week I just couldn't find a blue zombie during G1 with a Reunion and a Tormenting Voice and just did nothing while my opponent ultimated chandra and was mana screwed on a very aggressive keep in G2 never drawing land number 2 with a stacked hand.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 9, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Anybody on the walking ballista/hangarback/arcbound ravager with constrictor and hardened scales modern deck? CalebD played a version of it for CFB somewhat recently. There are a couple different builds out there and I'd like for this archetype to be my first foray into modern, but it seems like there's a lot to be shaken out outside of the core of the deck. Just wondering if anyone has a preference for a certain build.

Note: I don't want to play straight affinity.

I have played around with it at FNM quite a bit.

These creatures are good.

Hangarback Walker
Walking Ballista
Arcbound Worker
Winding Constrictor
Scavenging Ooze
Narnam Renegade

These are medium in the deck.

Arcbound Ravager
Dark Confidant
Rishkar, Peema Renegade

And these are just usually awful.

Experiment One
Simic Initiate

If you are going to play this deck, first you have to realize that its going to be expensive for what amounts a very casual deck. If you have the expensive cards , go for it.

So far I think the abzan lists are just better. Here is a list I played last week that was super fun.

Deck: Abzan Counters

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Fatal Push
4 Hardened Scales
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1 Oath of Liliana

//Creatures
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Narnam Renegade
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Fatal Push
3 Fulminator Mage
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Surgical Extraction
4 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always forget COPs are Modern-legal. Is there a reason they never get played? COP:Red seems like a decent sideboard card against burn. Is it just that it's not good against any decks other than burn specifically, and decks with access to white would rather play something like Kor Firewalker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

I always forget COPs are Modern-legal. Is there a reason they never get played? COP:Red seems like a decent sideboard card against burn. Is it just that it's not good against any decks other than burn specifically, and decks with access to white would rather play something like Kor Firewalker?

Pretty much. Plus holding up 5 mana is a bad way to beat burn, especially when they have Skullcracks after sideboarding.

• Locked thread