Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

'Putin says hi, now what have you got to drink around here?'

Cool, cool. Contextless first post of the page. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

he says he can't recall why he went there lmao

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah, one of Osbourne's tactics was to build up to something incredibly lovely in the budget so that when they u-turned on it, people would be happy about that instead of mad at the bad poo poo. He usually had the good sense to do the u-turn before the budget so it'd get a good reaction for not doing the bad thing we thought he would.

It;s a tactic that can only possibly work in the absence of an effective opposition. The fact it's working as well under Corbyn as it did under Milliband should be instructive to those who think the rot is only at the top.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pochoclo posted:

You'd think that Tories, of all people, would know just how much their voting base hates taxes.

I think the Tories are genuinely worried about driving the country completely into the ground at this point, judging by the tax hike to pay for extra social care and that article about "blood in the streets".

Unfortunately (for them) I think they have been consumed by their own hubris and bought into the idea that they could just keep on doing austerity and making themselves richer forever. Hopefully this is the chink in the armour that the media are now going to exploit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They're probably just going to magnanimously row back on it, cut spending elsewhere and act like this is a good thing the public has asked for and they've delivered. They've been tying the tax and NI stuff to the idea that it's specifically paying for social care funding, so something in welfare is going to lose out

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

baka kaba posted:

They're probably just going to magnanimously row back on it, cut spending elsewhere and act like this is a good thing the public has asked for and they've delivered. They've been tying the tax and NI stuff to the idea that it's specifically paying for social care funding, so something in welfare is going to lose out

The issue is they're running out of things to cut that doesn't piss people off. If easy cuts were an option we wouldn't even be discussing tax rises.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We must fine the unemployed. :catstare:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fans posted:

The issue is they're running out of things to cut that doesn't piss people off. If easy cuts were an option we wouldn't even be discussing tax rises.

Well that's sort of what I mean - this way they've 'tried' to avoid cuts by raising taxes, but now there's a public outcry and they can 'rethink' - and that way whatever they do, they can say that the public rejected tax rises as a way of raising revenue, and they're responding to that. It becomes less of a unilateral thing and makes doing bad poo poo a bit easier for them

As well a lot of the criticism has been about them breaking a manifesto commitment (which feels like criticising someone's manners instead of what they're actually doing but whatever) about not raising taxes - which effectively changes the criticism from 'this disproportionately hits poorer people' to 'you can't raise any taxes', which is definitely an argument we don't want to be making. Also might also be why Labour weren't pressing that point too hard

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the Tories are genuinely worried about driving the country completely into the ground

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Just got a jury summons at the Old Bailey in May. Time to wait around and possibly be selected to dispense goon justice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

We must fine the unemployed. :catstare:

Wasn't this a thing? I remember something in this thread about fining rough sleepers

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

tax big issue sellers

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

That loving Farage has an even longer face than a certain popular fyad poster.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jeza posted:

Just got a jury summons at the Old Bailey in May. Time to wait around and possibly be selected to dispense goon justice.

I bet jury deliberations are amazing these days

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pochoclo posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I meant more in the sense that they're worried that if they don't share the wealth a bit better, people in masks are going to start sharing it for them.

And yeah, I think they are really hitting the wall in terms of things to cut, particularly if the media actually starts calling them out on it for once.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Miftan posted:

Wasn't this a thing? I remember something in this thread about fining rough sleepers

IIRC there was talk of it happening in Belarus, or it was suggested by one of their officials.

A quick look on Google on fining rough sleepers brings up more than one council seriously suggesting it, or considering it. I'm pretty sure the one posted in the thread had some quote from a real gently caress-you-got-mine arsehole about how they made the place look untidy or something.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 9, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that what pisspots are for?

E: As in, PSPOs.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Throw unemployed people in prison and refuse to release them until they find full time work. In the mean time, they can improve their skills and their CV by working as forced labour on behalf of their privately owned prison. This should encourage these people to not be so bloody lazy, and to improve their lot in life.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

Well it's what they end up being used as in any case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yup, that's exactly what they're for. To pass fines for things that aren't illegal but that the council doesn't like, such as rough sleeping, sleeping in a vehicle, using offensive language, loitering in groups of three or more, urinating in a public convenience, etc. etc. and then criminalizing nonpayment of the fines.

Which sounds like a surefire route to selective enforcement and a street to prison pipeline for the homeless that is about 3x as expensive as just getting them a house and paying for their basic needs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

baka kaba posted:

I bet jury deliberations are amazing these days

not really. The two I was involved with certainly aren't anything like they're portrayed on TV and that's pretty much all I can say on the matter

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

not really. The two I was involved with certainly aren't anything like they're portrayed on TV and that's pretty much all I can say on the matter

I wasn't really thinking of TV, unless you mean Question Time

But yeah I guess it depends on the case too :stonk:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I meant more in the sense that they're worried that if they don't share the wealth a bit better, people in masks are going to start sharing it for them.

I heard this point put succinctly once: "Society is asset insurance for the rich, and they haven't been keeping up the payments".

Pissflaps posted:

Well, centralism also gave us three labour governments.

That's great, if a Labour government is your ultimate goal rather than any kind of political ideology.

I prefer to think of it as 'three Labour governments gave us centrism'.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

baka kaba posted:

But yeah I guess it depends on the case too :stonk:

It would be pretty funny if the jury's response to every case was "The two of 'em should knock their 'eads together and SORT IT AAAAAAAAAAHT"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

As well a lot of the criticism has been about them breaking a manifesto commitment (which feels like criticising someone's manners instead of what they're actually doing but whatever) about not raising taxes - which effectively changes the criticism from 'this disproportionately hits poorer people' to 'you can't raise any taxes', which is definitely an argument we don't want to be making. Also might also be why Labour weren't pressing that point too hard

This was my feeling too. Sure, Labour can criticise the Tories for breaking a manifesto promise, but is it worth it when it means you're also attacking them for raising taxes to pay for social spending?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Smug Young Conservative Juror: Look, the good taxpayers of this country are spending their money on these unelected judges and all they're doing is picking random people off the street to do their work for them. It's fiscally irresponsible.
Angry Thumb Man Juror: We're taking time out of our day and all the prosecution and defence are doing is arguing with each other, they should just find the criminals and lock 'em up. It's all gone soft.
Sobbing Woman in Dock: When I voted Conservative to Ban This Sick Filth I didn't think they were going to come after me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure when you raise tax to pay for social spending you do it by raising it from the people who need it spending on them and cutting it from the people who don't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/839863050194780160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I worry sometimes about how thick some people are.

There might be people that thick around me in day to day life.

They might be operating heavy machinery, or carrying flammable liquids.

They might be running the country.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they definitely are

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Some of them might be posting in this very thread :ninja:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm dead thick and I'm allowed to vote and everything. If I wanted to I could go out and hire a tractor tomorrow and just drive it really slowly along the roads wearing wellies and a flatcap. I could drive to Carlisle if I wanted.

Probably I'd wear trousers too because this is March in Scotland. But I wouldn't have to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How I miss you sweet Ed

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/839848114517311488

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he was great at winning general elections as labour leader its true

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

he was great at winning general elections as labour leader its true

You have a point but compared to now it seems like a golden age for the Labour Party.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the grauniad have made a Corbyn CYOA

quote:

You awake in an ANCIENT FOREST CLEARING. You can see FIVE EXITS: to the NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, a HATCH IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FOREST FLOOR, SOMEHOW, and WEST. In the middle of the clearing stands JEREMY CORBYN. He looks like a substitute geography teacher resigned to the fact that he lost the attention of this Year 9 class.

What do you do?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

You have a point but compared to now it seems like a golden age for the Labour Party.

Well the election before he was leader the Tories didn't have a majority

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, heard people were looking for this:

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/839899370556428289

I can see why they're not playing this up quite as much as their other criticisms of the budget, though. Breaking manifesto pledges is bad, but the pledge in this case was both contrary to Labour's political stance and incredibly loving dumb - ditching it was one of Hammond's few sensible decisions this week, and not something Corbyn's crew can rag on him all that hard for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looke posted:

GET YE FLASK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Looke posted:

Go SOMEHOW

• Locked thread