Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"A dog wearing rollerskates" was one of the ideas me and a friend came up with while we were stoned and making jokes about the annoying "wacky sound effects story" bit that's on every episode of Prairie Home Companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jfc pick start a kickstarter to default on if you think it's such an amazing idea

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My [25F] boyfriend [29M] still wears the same clothes he purchased 5-10 years ago. I wish he would start wearing more age-appropriate attire.

quote:

I know this is probably going to sound superficial, but I need some advice as to how I can bring this up to him as gently as possible.
I love my boyfriend, Mitch. We've been together for a year and a half and he is essentially everything I look for in a partner: compassionate, driven, hilarious, intellectual, adventurous, empathetic. The list could go on. We have minor fights like every other couple but I am blissfully happy.
The only thing is his choice in attire. He is a very, very good looking man and conventionally attractive. He could wear a paper bag and still look good, but I do get a little frustrated at his choice of attire.
I'll preface this by saying that I may be pickier than most. I work in the marketing department at a large international clothing brand so I tend to keep my wardrobe updated as I truly enjoy fashion. Some don't and Mitch is one of those men.
He wears sweatpants to the grocery store. I love sweatpants and own tons but they are generally not something I wear outside of the house. He still wears t-shirts he owned 10 years ago (think Abercrombie logos, graphic tees, etc) and jeans that are quite ill-fitting. He has 3 pairs of shoes: skate shoes he's had since he was 20, work boots (he is a civil engineer), and a pair of worn out flip flops. He does have a suit, but it looks like one The Penguin wore in Batman Returns.
His ideal outfit (for a date) is a graphic hoodie, jeans and his skate shoes OR a button down shirt (worn open) with one of his graphic tees underneath and those drat skate shoes.
I have offered to go shopping with him. Because of the nature of my job, I get a pretty good discount and since the brand I work for carries a men's section, I stated many times that I could get him some updated clothing items. He shrugs it off and says he likes what he has. Money is not an issue either. He prefers to spend it on other things, such as travel and experiences as opposed to materialistic things. I respect that, but I don't think he quite understands that you can invest in some key pieces that will last forever in lieu of shopping excessively every season.
I have gifted him some clothing items which he wears sparingly. I know I could just keep buying him clothes, but it's the fact that he doesn't throw any articles of clothing away, so the issue can't exactly be resolved.
I love this man. He is the light of my life but I just wish he would stop dressing like Tony Hawk circa 2002. How do I bring this up without hurting his feelings, or sounding bratty? This is not a deal breaker by any means; I'm just hoping to gain some insight :)
Thanks, Reddit!
TLDR: My boyfriend doesn't dress very age appropriately and I was hoping to show him the benefits of updating his wardrobe. How can I do so without hurting his feelings?

I can't judge this dude, I work in IT and wear band shirts and basketball shorts everywhere unless asked otherwise by my gf.
Maybe that's what she should do? "Hey honey, wear poo poo that matches today." Works on me :shrug:

Someone in the comments says civil engineers basically don't have dresscodes so that's why he just sorta wears whatever all the time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Truck Nutz, but for your dog

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nazzadan posted:

I can't judge this dude, I work in IT and wear band shirts and basketball shorts everywhere unless asked otherwise by my gf.

son of a loving bitch dude

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

That idiot who sells "Rear Gear", the dog butthole covers, is still in business. People love pets and they're loving stupid and terrible with money. They are so god damned stupid they make purchases "ironically" as if it's not real money and doesn't count. go for it.

I mean she might turn some kind of hobby profit depending on what she spends on the website + advertising + manufacturing but it's not going to be enough to let 2 people retire early guaranteed.

:shrug:

Pick posted:

lol for real I wear band shirts sometimes still but dang

e: Like if you're looking for something that is more turn-key easy money buying a franchise food place is a way better idea. Not Chipotle prolly but if you can scrape up enough to open a McD's in a good spot or something like that and hire decent management that's way better than trying to create a brand new business out of nothing based on high end dog shoes.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 9, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I mean she might turn some kind of hobby profit depending on what she spends on the website + advertising + manufacturing but it's not going to be enough to let 2 people retire early guaranteed.

:shrug:

No. gently caress it. She'll be a multimillionaire. People will buy it because they're like durrrrr that's funny haha durrrrrr I can't pay my mortgage but look dog shoes! They light up! ha ha! this is great, gonna buy ten pairs and never take them out of the box

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I personally know at least 50,000 people who would buy these stupid loving dog shoes

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Pick posted:

She always desses super adorable and spends a good amount of time getting ready, and I walk out with slip on vans, bright blue basketball shorts and a Bathory shirt :colbert:

Take THAT, feminist agenda.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nazzadan posted:

She always desses super adorable and spends a good amount of time getting ready, and I walk out with slip on vans, bright blue basketball shorts and a Bathory shirt :colbert:

i will beat you within an inch of you are life

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey Pick maybe you don't have to post two or three times in a row multiple times on every page, just a thought

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
gently caress that. post

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
She should go for it because why not, they're still relatively young and it's not like they need to retire right now. I'm more interested in what she's asking for in terms of investment funding because $10-15k is one thing but if she's for some serious chunk of change that could affect their lifestyle if things go awry then that's a bad idea esp if she has no business prospectus and assumes he is threatened by a woman making money when he questions her idea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah pick don't use up all the posts you know we got to ration them.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
when I saw "invest in me" it reminded me of the AI craigslist joke about owners who claim to have a dollar figure invested in their ads. Maybe he could satisfy his obligations with some nice bolt-ons

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

Hey Pick maybe you don't have to post two or three times in a row multiple times on every page, just a thought

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Pick posted:

i will beat you within an inch of you are life

Sometimes when I am feeling generous and want to treat her, I'll wear khakis with my band shirt :smug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not a matter of rationing them

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sometime's it's just annoying when you say one post's worth of things across three posts, badly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Or repeat yourself, with slightly different wording, that isn't funny, across three posts

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
lookat you with your standards an poo poo

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Her husband must make serious bank.
Light up dog shoes. Jesus wept.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Sometimes when I am feeling generous and want to treat her, I'll wear khakis with my band shirt :smug:

Your girlfriend needs to ovary up and start donating your band tshirts one by one and replacing them with polos and button downs at a rate slowly and subtly enough that a year or two from now youll question if you ever really did own more than a couple band shirts. Then the lights of the upstairs hallway will flicker but youll know, they dont flicker at all and they never have.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pick posted:

That idiot who sells "Rear Gear", the dog butthole covers, is still in business. People love pets and they're loving stupid and terrible with money. They are so god damned stupid they make purchases "ironically" as if it's not real money and doesn't count. go for it.

excuse me Twinkle*Tush, the glittery emblem I hang from my cats tail to cover his butthole, is a legitimate and useful product and the quality of life for me and my pet has vastly improved since I forced him to start wearing it

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
She should just start dressing him. His mom did

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I don't get how it isn't possible for a surgeon to retire earlier than most as it is.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Barudak posted:

Your girlfriend needs to ovary up and start donating your band tshirts one by one and replacing them with polos and button downs at a rate slowly and subtly enough that a year or two from now youll question if you ever really did own more than a couple band shirts. Then the lights of the upstairs hallway will flicker but youll know, they dont flicker at all and they never have.

"Honey, did I ever like metal? I could have sworn I did...Oh well put on the latest Grouplove album, I do enjoy that Grouplove." :smugjones:

A car pulls up next to me with its windows down, they are listening to Darkthrone. I stare longingly at their car, not noticing the light turns green. The car behind me beeps, I snap out of it and start to drive. My girlfriend places a hand on my slacks held up by a threaded belt. "What was that, honey?"
"Nothing I...thought I saw someone I used to know..."

Fin.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 9, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Her husband must make serious bank.
Light up dog shoes. Jesus wept.

Light-up dog Heelys. You know, for dogs, those animals with prominent heels.

it's pretty obviously a troll post but it's a fun one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: nm

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

P-Mack posted:

Truck Nutz, but for your dog
http://www.neuticles.com

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

food court bailiff posted:

It's not a matter of rationing them

I know

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Noooo I wanted to post this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't get how it isn't possible for a surgeon to retire earlier than most as it is.

They tend to be extremely financially incompetent, especially because after all theyre way smarter than everyone else. If youre ever curious where you find a dozen idiots for your failed restaurant its Doctors, Real Estate Brokers, and Foreign Nationals who literally have no choice but to invest jn your restaurant and loath you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

These are for cheating at dog shows iirc

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'll bet she's loving hot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sometimes I'm posting and I run ou

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Nazzadan posted:

Ewwww, you sound like a sartorial Chernobyl. My boyfriend wears a decent amount of band shirts, but with excellently fitted jeans, grown up shoes and nice sweaters. And he dresses up appropriately without prompting when the need arises.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bamabalacha posted:

Ewwww, you sound like a sartorial Chernobyl. My boyfriend wears a decent amount of band shirts, but with excellently fitted jeans, grown up shoes and nice sweaters. And he dresses up appropriately without prompting when the need arises.

I'm your boyfriend, but cooler :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I post and then I try to post again and it goes "sorry gotta wait 10 seconds!" and I'm all |:{

Bamabalacha posted:

this is what I do. It's not so much the band tees (although if that's all you *ever* wear lol) it's the general middle schooler look (basketball shorts everywhere) and that someone else has to tell you when that isn't appropriate attire.

nothing wrong with a band tee and a nice light jacket, jeans, and decent not sneaker shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

/r/relationships: I work in IT and wear band shirts and basketball shorts everywhere unless asked otherwise by my gf

Barudak posted:

They tend to be extremely financially incompetent, especially because after all theyre way smarter than everyone else. If youre ever curious where you find a dozen idiots for your failed restaurant its Doctors, Real Estate Brokers, and Foreign Nationals who literally have no choice but to invest jn your restaurant and loath you.

This particular surgeon might've married his wife specifically so there's always at least one person around he's smarter than.