Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Hey, if you happen to remember, where do you find the star coordinates in Space Quest V, by the way? Wasn't in the manual and there isn't a hint book in it like Space Quest IV*.

*On the subject, hiding the code to finish the game in the hintbook is a dickmove. "Try this item; try that one; since neither of those items are actually in the game, use this code; and since that code doesn't work use the real one here:"

They're on pages 17 and 18 of the manual, actually, surrounding Gir Draxon's horoscopes. Look for the planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

Anyone here ever play Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, or Space Quest? Their love of lethality and generally obtuse puzzles remind me of 70s TRPGs for some reason.
That's because they were almost guaranteed to have been highly influenced by those 70s RPGs. CRPGs are influenced by TRPGs are influenced by CRPGs etc in a design ouroboros.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

They're on pages 17 and 18 of the manual, actually, surrounding Gir Draxon's horoscopes. Look for the planets.

I knew it was copy protection! Thanks, I'll use that when I get home from work today. I actually thought maybe the horoscope had a secret in it on my way to work today.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Covok posted:

Anyone here ever play Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, or Space Quest? Their love of lethality and generally obtuse puzzles remind me of 70s TRPGs for some reason.
:swoon:Quest for Glory:swoon: was my childhood, and probably why I like Paladins, though they're not as cool as Sweet Wizard Paladins!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fool_of_sound posted:

Because that's a personal and private tragedy, and not a societal one.

I hella disagree about wars/etc not being private and personal, but agree on rape. Wars create a lot of situations for personal and private tragedy, more than enough so that it would be able to adequately cover any situations in which you might otherwise think rape (or slavery!) is appropriate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate... what is particularly bad about the human tragedy of rape that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?

Well, I think it is significantly more likely that a person at your table is a victim of or friends with victims of rape and sexual assault. There's a reason college classrooms offer (completely legit) trigger warnings when discussing those topics or let students know ahead of time and offer alternate assignments, but the same is not really true of slavery and combat.

This of course does not mean modem slavery or human trafficking does not exist obviously, but for better or worse people are more distanced from those than they are rape.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate... what is particularly bad about the human tragedy of rape

Welp

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Uh, my counter here is 'why throw it out'? What is particularly bad about the human tragedy of slavery that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?

I don't think it must not be engaged, but I think that the people who have issue with it should be engaged with. What is so important about it that it must be maintained, and fought for, as a usable concept?

When it comes down to it, the argument against slavery in gaming has people jumping up to defend it. Why? It's not like they couldn't just ignore the people calling them out and just keep doing what they are doing. They feel a need to engage that has to go deeper than "Why not?" or they would't feel such a need to engage. Is it just a censorship thing? If so, why not defend it that way? Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I hella disagree. Wars create a lot of situations for personal and private tragedy, more than enough so that it would be able to adequately cover any situations in which you might otherwise think rape is appropriate. I also think people shouldn't use rape in their rpgs.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Rape is always a personal and private tragedy. Murder/war/tyranny/slavery are often societal tragedies. They can also cause personal and private tragedies, but they aren't strictly so.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate... what is particularly bad about the human tragedy of rape that it must not be engaged, compared to war/murder/tyranny ect?
In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. Inclusion of these crimes in your games are handled by a special squad of arguements called the shut up about rape you creep.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 9, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Maybe I wasn't clear. Rape is always a personal and private tragedy. Murder/war/tyranny/slavery are often societal tragedies. They can also cause personal and private tragedies, but they aren't strictly so.

I mean, I still disagree. I believe war/etc are personal and private tragedies writ large, which is why slavery and rape is so unnecessary for the kinds of analogy focused story telling that fantasy provides. It's already covered in such a way that it's easier to distance from emotionally (generally speaking, of course).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

again it's an issue of distancing, american racial politics are still very much tainted by the history of black slavery and the poisonous ideologies that justified it

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Haystack posted:

To play devil's advocate

You don't need to do this goddammit

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

I knew it was copy protection! Thanks, I'll use that when I get home from work today. I actually thought maybe the horoscope had a secret in it on my way to work today.

Yeah, I remember getting that when it came out and being annoyed because the manual was kind of flimsy. Usually copy protection schemes were made out of sturdier paper stock.

Speaking of copy protection, I played the original Wing Commander so much I actually ended up memorizing the copy protection questions. Don't remember them now, but that was kind of funny to me back then.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Still, 'm glad we took the time to reinforce the point Jessica Price made about unnecessarily intellectual exercises.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I don't think it must not be engaged, but I think that the people who have issue with it should be engaged with. What is so important about it that it must be maintained, and fought for, as a usable concept?

When it comes down to it, the argument against slavery in gaming has people jumping up to defend it. Why? It's not like they couldn't just ignore the people calling them out and just keep doing what they are doing. They feel a need to engage that has to go deeper than "Why not?" or they would't feel such a need to engage. Is it just a censorship thing? If so, why not defend it that way? Why, for instance, do people(not you as far as I can tell), go all apologetic on ancient slavery as opposed to American chattel slavery when defending it?

I guess it is a censorship thing, in my mind? I mean, I don't have a problem not engaging topics that are legitimately going to hurt the people I'm interacting with, but legal slavery is so removed from the experience of almost any modern people that using it as a strictly villainous fantasy thing is harmless. I wouldn't want to depict modern slavery though, like say, Shadowrun.

S.J. posted:

I mean, I still disagree. I believe war/etc are personal and private tragedies writ large, which is why slavery and rape is so unnecessary for the kinds of analogy focused story telling that fantasy provides. It's already covered in such a way that it's easier to distance from emotionally (generally speaking, of course).

I mean, modern people are more likely to have been affected by war or murder than legal slavery.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

S.J. posted:

I think it mostly comes down to the fact that we are still willing as a society to accept that violence is necessary and sometimes justifiable, where we are often not like that anymore with slavery and rape. I have experience with people who are still willing to justify slavery and rape in such a way, and they are not pleasant to deal with but they used to have far more company than they do now.

If, utopia of utopia's, we move on in the future to a place where violence is no longer treated as an acceptable answer to certain questions, it is entirely likely that depictions of violence in fiction and in gaming will come under similar mass scrutiny.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I think it mostly comes down to the fact that we are still willing as a society to accept that violence is necessary and sometimes justifiable, where we are often not like that anymore with slavery and rape. I have experience with people who are still willing to justify slavery and rape in such a way, and they are not pleasant to deal with but they used to have far more company than they do now.

If, utopia of utopia's, we move on in the future to a place where violence is no longer treated as an acceptable answer to certain questions, it is entirely likely that depictions of violence in fiction and in gaming will come under similar mass scrutiny.

I touched on that a bit with the post before that one, and I agree. I think that human beings, being what they will, will inevitably produce situations in which violence is the only way for people to be (or perceived to be) removed from the situation. Sometimes those situations are significant enough to actually justify physical violence as a means of escape, either for yourself or for others sake. And that sucks, but I genuinely don't think that will ever go away.

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean, modern people are more likely to have been affected by war or murder than legal slavery.

Sure, and we often believe that slavery is worse than war or murder in some ways, which makes it easier to distance ourselves from it emotionally. I'd like you to be more specific about what you mean by 'legal slavery' because that can be anywhere from the slavery of the blacks in the US to effectively working a 9-5 job thousands of years ago, so I'm not really sure how to take your comments on it.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 9, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

Sure, and we often believe that slavery is worse than war or murder in some ways, which makes it easier to distance ourselves from it emotionally. I'd like you to be more specific about what you mean by 'legal slavery' because that can be anywhere from the slavery of the blacks in the US to effectively working a 9-5 job thousands of years ago, so I'm not really sure how to take your comments on it.

I uh, wouldn't really every compare slavery to working a 9-5 job, and don't think the exact flavor of slavery matters for this conversation? Suffice to say it's all 'very bad' to 'atrociously bad'.

e; my point was comparing slavery backed by a government, versus modern illegal slavery.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 9, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Holy loving poo poo just talk about elves

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Holy loving poo poo just talk about elves

No, they have to determine which of rape or war or slavery is the worst, and nobody else can stop them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't like elves. :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

I uh, wouldn't really every compare slavery to working a 9-5 job, and don't think the exact flavor of slavery matters for this conversation? Suffice to say it's all 'very bad' to 'atrociously bad'.

That's what I assumed I just wasn't sure why you'd be putting 'legal' in front of it, my bad

Kwyndig posted:

same

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

elves definitely make no sense

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like elves because I'm a contrarian.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i like to tell myself i only like elves when people put an interesting spin on them but that's a lie, i just love elves no matter what

it's me, i'm the guy who will fight all of you elf haters

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I only like anime elves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Still, 'm glad we took the time to reinforce the point Jessica Price made about unnecessarily intellectual exercises.

Yeah, this thread did an amazing job proving her point.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

In no way complete and very pedantic media classification scheme on ways to depict slavery:

Endorsement via omission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bWyhj7siEY

(In Song of the South, Uncle Remus is depicted as enjoying his life as a slave. While there was a variance of treatment by slave owners in the antebellum South, by portraying it as "not that bad" it minimizes the real dehumanizing effects of slavery on real humans, thus leading to this like Ben Carson referring to slaves as "immigrants")

Realistic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7iIyAfWg_w

(12 Years a Slave is based on the writings of Solomon Northrup, who was kidnapped in Washington DC and sold into slavery. There are departures from the book -- for example during the slave ship it is unlikely that the sailor would have been allowed to murder the slave who tried to stop him from raping another slave, because that slave is worth more as sold goods, and the economics of the period wouldn't allow for such casual destruction of property -- but it gets more right than wrong, and does not shy away from unflattering depictions of humanity at its worst)

Satirical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w36z7XnwOM

(In Blazing Saddles, Cleavon Little is depicted as being worth less than a handcart to Slim Pickens, with all the whites in the scene outright ignoring the plight of the black characters. The racism is depicted so broadly and extremely that it can be laughed at, but at the same time in no way does it make the racists look favorable -- they look ridiculous, and their claims seem even stupider when put into plain language. If done incorrectly, or without skill, it could be seen as endorsing the racist position, but the writing and acting is good enough to convey the intended meaning to all but the densest of viewers)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thanks

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

I only like anime elves.

Tolkien elves are basically anime, so I could have just emptyquoted this, but I didn't.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I guess I don't want ignore the disagreement and move on because disagreeing with people makes me feel bad. I'm dumb enough to want some kind of resolution.
Besides, it's important enough to keep pages of surprisingly not bad discussion going. Slavery is a big, evil topic.

Toph, where does Django Unchained fall on that scale? Satirically violent?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

I guess I don't want ignore the disagreement and move on because disagreeing with people makes me feel bad. I'm dumb enough to want some kind of resolution.
Besides, it's important enough to keep pages of surprisingly not bad discussion going. Slavery is a big, evil topic.

Yeah I kinda take issue with the idea that when and how certain evils should be depicted is an 'unnecessary intellectual exercise'.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I kinda take issue with the idea that when and how certain evils should be depicted is an 'unnecessary intellectual exercise'.

Eh, if it weren't for people complaining about discussion when it happens threads would be even slower.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Rockopolis posted:

Django is the best Tarantino movie

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Djanjo Unchained is an attempt by someone outside of the group to write and create a revenge fantasy for people of a group. Same thing with Inglorious Bastards, really.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, Jessica Price did not imply that this stuff isn't worth discussing or debating, just that she would limit herself to doing so with people she knew and could trust to be respectful of her when doing so, and rightly so. It has to be loving exhausting to be called on to personally brain fight every single fucker who takes a position opposite yours.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Covok posted:

Djanjo Unchained is an attempt by someone outside of the group to write and create a revenge fantasy for people of a group. Same thing with Inglorious Bastards, really.

Tarantino makes exploitation cinema, but going one step further, he does it while not being of the exploited class.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
hi

what is this argument even about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

This
https://storify.com/flatvurm/jessica-price-on-toxicity-in-geek-spaces
and this