Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
As for chain = high horsepower, the Diavel uses a belt so I think that's a pretty weak reason. Maybe it's a very expensive belt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not like it's impossible to make a strong drive belt, it's just a lot more expensive. Motorcycle drive belts on modern street bikes making 100+hp are a product of advanced polymer engineering. We've been able to make chains that could withstand that sort of power for like a hundred years.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

What is that embedded in the sipe on the right, underneath the cut?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jazzzzz posted:

What is that embedded in the sipe on the right, underneath the cut?

It's the weird hole thing that appears on your bog-standard Pilot Road 3 tire. I have no idea as to its purpose. :shrug: I'm phone posting, else I'd get you a photo of the stock tread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

According to michelin's marketingspeak they're like little reservoirs that can contain some water directed into them by the sipes so not all of it has to be directed outwards away from the contact patch.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I ever get an electric bike, I'd not like one with a chain. The noise and oily splatter would be out of place. The Zero SR has a tiny belt, about as narrow as a fan belt, reinforced with carbon something or other and costs $70. Add the silence and smoothness and it is the only way to go, for that particular application at least.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ola posted:

If I ever get an electric bike, I'd not like one with a chain. The noise and oily splatter would be out of place. The Zero SR has a tiny belt, about as narrow as a fan belt, reinforced with carbon something or other and costs $70. Add the silence and smoothness and it is the only way to go, for that particular application at least.

Unless you want to run it in the woods or the MX track?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Unless you want to run it in the woods or the MX track?

The SR is a street bike, so my "for that application at least" caveat should place the blame on the stupid rider, not the snapped belt, in those particular scenarios.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ola posted:

The SR is a street bike, so my "for that application at least" caveat should place the blame on the stupid rider, not the snapped belt, in those particular scenarios.

Gotcha. In that case, I agree. I just also know that they're making an MX bike and I think one of the best applications for electronic bikes in the future will be as woods bikes for a number of reasons including that it's already acceptable to to go riding for a few hours in the woods and then truck your bike back home. I don't know whether those bikes have chains or not though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Gotcha. In that case, I agree. I just also know that they're making an MX bike and I think one of the best applications for electronic bikes in the future will be as woods bikes for a number of reasons including that it's already acceptable to to go riding for a few hours in the woods and then truck your bike back home. I don't know whether those bikes have chains or not though.

The dual sport at least has a belt too. It's not much of a dual sport, 50/50 tires, bit more suspension travel. Questionable model range and no proper fast charging are Zeros main obstacles to success in my opinion.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll probably be wanting to change my fuel lines soon. Is there any problem with putting a longer than stock line between the tank and (carb-filling) fuel pump to enable me to move the tank far enough back to set it on the rear subframe, so I can do under-tank maintenance jobs without having to completely drain and disconnect it in future?

Assuming I put a proper guard on it and coil it so it doesn't end up touching the engine or anything.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'll probably be wanting to change my fuel lines soon. Is there any problem with putting a longer than stock line between the tank and (carb-filling) fuel pump to enable me to move the tank far enough back to set it on the rear subframe, so I can do under-tank maintenance jobs without having to completely drain and disconnect it in future?

Assuming I put a proper guard on it and coil it so it doesn't end up touching the engine or anything.

Just get a quick-release fuel line instead?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't know that was a thing! Looks very convenient.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is moto oil for wet clutches a thing I need to be using? I don't have any problems with the Mobil1 10w-40 High Mileage I use in the rest of my fleet, but the buddy who bought my EX500 said he's getting smoother transmission action after changing to a moto specific oil.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

As long as the oil has the correct additives for motorcycle uses (bottle will have a picture of a motorbike on it somewhere usually) it's fine.

Yes though, cars and motorcycles have different oil requirements because of the bikes wet clutch.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Beach Bum posted:

Is moto oil for wet clutches a thing I need to be using? I don't have any problems with the Mobil1 10w-40 High Mileage I use in the rest of my fleet, but the buddy who bought my EX500 said he's getting smoother transmission action after changing to a moto specific oil.

Oil is a huge can of worms that people will go berserk over. As shimrod said, any motorcycle oil will be fine. You don't want the stuff with magical car additives because it screws up your clutch. All that said, on my G650X, I switched from dino to motul 300v and the clutch was smoother (as much as it can be, they're pretty clunky). It's expensive and green and smells different and includes esters made of tiny magical elves and it's entirely possible that despite my best efforts to the contrary the smoothness is entirely psychosomatic. It was certainly unnecessary, but I kept buying it anyway for the smoothness factor.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Shell RotellaT 5w-40 in aaaaallllll the bikes

Except the 690, that one got swiss unicorn blood

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

When selecting an oil that isn't a motorcycle-specific oil, the thing you want to watch out for is a circle-shaped seal on the back of the carton, where all the information is. This is the API Service seal. The circle is divided into three parts: an upper section, a smaller circle in the middle, and a lower section. When you are selecting an oil for your motorcycle, you want the section on the bottom to be blank. Definitely avoid oil which has the words "ENERGY CONSERVING" in this bottom section.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

It's not like it's impossible to make a strong drive belt, it's just a lot more expensive. Motorcycle drive belts on modern street bikes making 100+hp are a product of advanced polymer engineering. We've been able to make chains that could withstand that sort of power for like a hundred years.

If you add in the cost of the sprockets you're supposed to replace at the same time as a chain, belts start to look considerably cheaper.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Shell RotellaT 5w-40 in aaaaallllll the bikes

Except the 690, that one got swiss unicorn blood

Rotella in all the trucks, Rotella in all the bikes. Rotella in the two stroke transmissions even.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I didn't know that was a thing! Looks very convenient.

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/quick_disconnect_couplings/

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

If you add in the cost of the sprockets you're supposed to replace at the same time as a chain, belts start to look considerably cheaper.

How hard would it be to buy a banged up old chain drive bike and convert it to a belt-drive?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Probably pretty annoying. Think I saw an sv650 belt drive conversion once on svrider, and it looked like waay too much effort.
It probably wouldn't be hard to find a wheel with a belt drive that fits, but converting at the counter shaft to accept a belt would be the annoying part (I'd imagine.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slide Hammer posted:

Definitely avoid oil which has the words "ENERGY CONSERVING" in this bottom section.
Also known as "friction modifier" additives. They make frictions stop fricting and wet clutches need friction to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Probably pretty annoying. Think I saw an sv650 belt drive conversion once on svrider, and it looked like waay too much effort.
It probably wouldn't be hard to find a wheel with a belt drive that fits, but converting at the counter shaft to accept a belt would be the annoying part (I'd imagine.)

Depending on the suspension design, you may also have to partially disassemble the rear subframe to get the belt on. You can't break and reassemble it, remember.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is no situation on this gay earth that makes ditching a chain in favour of a belt a worthwhile excercise. But the opposite can be beneficial in some cases.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Yeah, that's the main thing... Belts aren't as strong as chains, so they need to be wider to compensate.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

There is no situation on this gay earth that makes ditching a chain in favour of a belt a worthwhile excercise. But the opposite can be beneficial in some cases.
They last, like, forever though. With basically no maintenance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Odette posted:

How hard would it be to buy a banged up old chain drive bike and convert it to a belt-drive?

Nearly impossible because belt drive pulleys are always wider than a chain, so you'll have clearance issues for sure on the front pulley with the engine case and sprocket cover, and potentially on the rear as well with the swing arm and tire.

Only go belt->chain never the other way.

Never the other way.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Have I hosed myself into buying a new fuel pump? I took this guy out of my gas tank the last time I failed to get it running and didn't store it properly because of course I wouldn't. It had a filter on the side that rotted off, you can see the plastic frame and some remnants in the picture. I've looked around bikebandit.com but I cant find just the filter, only the $340 fuel pump in its entirety. The bike itself is an 05 or 06 Kawasaki Ninja 650r. Can I replace this or maybe install another filter somewhere to compensate?

I can't figure out how to post a picture so here is a link. http://imgur.com/6ozUXoK

Chairon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 10, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Odette posted:

It's enough of a pain going from belt to chain, and a chain setup has a lot less room for any additional engineering (like belt width) that might be required.

Chairon posted:

Have I hosed myself into buying a new fuel pump? I took this guy out of my gas tank the last time I failed to get it running and didn't store it properly because of course I wouldn't. It had a filter on the side that rotted off, you can see the plastic frame and some remnants in the picture. I've looked around bikebandit.com but I cant find just the filter, only the $340 fuel pump in its entirety. The bike itself is an 05 or 06 Kawasaki Ninja 650r. Can I replace this or maybe install another filter somewhere to compensate?

I can't figure out how to post a picture so here is a link. http://imgur.com/6ozUXoK

It looks like what rotted off was your strainer. It keeps big chunks out of the lines to the filter, which itself filters the finer particles. Go to your Kawi dealer and ask, they'll have a good answer for you. I refuse to believe you need a new pump because your strainer disintegrated; that's a "replace it with your filter" item.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 10, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Could also probably just eBay another pump for cheap.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There are rebuild kits available for some pumps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

It's enough of a pain going from belt to chain, and a chain setup has a lot less room for any additional engineering (like belt width) that might be required.

It looks like what rotted off was your strainer. It keeps big chunks out of the lines to the filter, which itself filters the finer particles. Go to your Kawi dealer and ask, they'll have a good answer for you. I refuse to believe you need a new pump because your strainer disintegrated; that's a "replace it with your filter" item.

Harley make you buy a whole new $90 fuel line if the o-ring in the quick-disconnect fucks out, which it always does because they decided not to use a viton seal.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I've been using Rotella T triple protection 15W-40 oil and it's been good but today when I went to buy some at Walmart they didn't have it, and it looked like all the Rotella bottles are different. I picked up Rotella T4 15W-40 and was comparing it to the old oil I have.

The Rotella T says API SERVICE CJ-4/SM in the top half of the circle.
The T4 says API SERVICE CK-4 in the top half.

Is the T4 good to use? I don't know poo poo about oil.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I took my klr 650 on the freeway for the first time and it seemed to really want to follow the parallel lines in the concrete. Those lines arent kind of wavy so it induces a minor wobble into the bike which wasnt very confidence inspiring. I loosened my grip and body and took some weight off the pegs and that seemed to fight off most of the wobble but it was still there. I already had it checked beforehand and the frame is straight and the wheels are balanced.

Its on 50/50 dual purpose tires and im wondering if switching to straight up street tires would help. I'm using the bike to commute so i have no use for dirt tires right now.

The other thing I ran into was heavy handlebar vibration at 65+ mph. My hands were numb after 30 minutes, my butt and feet were fine. Are there any good recommended accessories to combat the vibration? Im already on medium thickness gloves with decent palm padding.

My last bike was a 600 crotch rocket and im a little alarmed at how not smooth everything is on the KLR on freeway. Its to be expected since they are built for completely different uses, but wow.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 11, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm not sure how deep the lines you're taking about are but they're generally referred to as "edge traps" and include parallel train tracks, rises in pavement due to fresh asphalt and long divots from road damage. Keep your eyes up and try to cross them as perpendicularly as possible if that make sense. Goose it if you feel your front wheel losing it. Don't ride on them until you stop giving a gently caress and try to see how long you can teeter without losing it like I do now

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Name the tires. release your deathgrip and all will be fine. Its a klr650. its essentially a plated international tractor.. Don't expect it to be a lamborghini tractor.

Go stick a 625/640 lc4 between your legs if you want to go to the vibeside.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the lines Im talking about are apparently from roadway tining. They are supposed to be parallel to the road, but they did a lovely job where i live and they are pretty wavy and way too aggressive. I can even feel them make my car drift a tiny bit.

The tires are mefo sport explorer's https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mefo-explorer-dual-sport-tires

Loosening my grp helped with numbess but I cant really loosen any more without taking my hands off completely. Do those foam grip wraps work at all?

I understand that the klr is behaving normally and every klr experiences huge vibrations at higher speeds. I have no expectations of turning it into a freeway tourer, I just want to make it more comfortable for my current needs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised to hear the mefos do that. I was expecting much knobbier treads. a knobby will track like gently caress in grooved pavement.

ways to cut down vibes. take bicycle innertube, tie off one end and stuff it into your bar ends. fill the tube with sand, seal off the other end and bolt your bark buster/bar cap on.

E: I use these. https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/pro-grip-714-dual-sport-grips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sand makes sense, weight would probably lessen the amplitude of the vibration.

I'm on stock grips with no cushion, how thick or soft are those linked?

The bike following the lines is fine most of the time, there are just few stretches on the comutte that are a little worrying