Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

I mean, one character actually calls you by name in Fallout 4. Its a little different in Mass Effect.

A couple of interviews said if you change Ryder's first name all that happens is that people stop referring to you by it. Keep Scott/Sarah and NPCs will occasionally use your first name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trast posted:

Batarians and vorcha do get a bit of image rehab towards the end of ME3 and surprisingly through multiplayer. There is the encounter Shepard has with some batarian refugees where it turns you can come to a peaceful end to some bad blood and get batarian survivors on board with the alliance. Batarians in particular get painted as being a sort of North Korea in space. It's ruled by a lot of militant totalitarians who keep everyone down unless they have a value to the regime like the slavers or terror squads. When you start encountering "average Joe" batarian in game they are usually happy to get along with people.

With multiplayer batarian and vorcha mercs get added into the game which leads to them popping up in the background chatter of Citadel. There is a funny bit where a human infiltrator and a vorcha sentinel are complaining about reckless teammates. Of course it helped that the batarian and vorcha multiplayer characters were pretty bad rear end. You had insane regen on the vorcha and a flame thrower or a build with grenades. The batarians were bags of hitpoints that shot spikes and their heavy melee was very satisfying to use. You could even use an aspect of the game engine to do some rather fun power sliding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g

Batarians: so awful you have to browbeat them into helping the Citadel races fighting Reapers when their homeworld is eaten and they are squatting in the Citadel itself. Also straight up telling you the asteroid you are stopping from wiping out a colony was"just" being attacked for slaves. Also trying to use a bioweapon on the Citadel via diplomatic channels because that will certainly solve their problems.

I guess NK really does fit but on the other hand most batarians you meet outside of their nation are assholes too.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Batarians are actually good and did nothing wrong.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Batarians: so awful you have to browbeat them into helping the Citadel races fighting Reapers when their homeworld is eaten and they are squatting in the Citadel itself.

mmm, I'm on their side here. Their entire race just got wiped out overnight and the council let the man (kind of ) responsible for killing 300,000 batarians by smashing a mass relay out of prison to go help other races fight the reapers. At that point I might be like "you know what, gently caress you guys" too

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I really wanted a Batarian squadmate at some point in the series, hearing their side of the story would be nice and also the Batarian State Arms armor in ME 1 was cool looking

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

frajaq posted:

I really wanted a Batarian squadmate at some point in the series, hearing their side of the story would be nice and also the Batarian State Arms armor in ME 1 was cool looking

The South Batarians will rise again!

That's the feel I get from the tidbits we hear in ME2 about slavery being an important cultural institution of the Batarians.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Admiral Ray posted:

The South Batarians will rise again!

That's the feel I get from the tidbits we hear in ME2 about slavery being an important cultural institution of the Batarians.

"How dare you infringe on our cultural heritage" seemed to repeatedly come up with them if I recall correctly, so I can't say it was anything but cathartic to screw them over.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just hope I don't land on a planet that only has one toilet like these guys

at least it has good handles

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

mmm, I'm on their side here. Their entire race just got wiped out overnight and the council let the man (kind of ) responsible for killing 300,000 batarians by smashing a mass relay out of prison to go help other races fight the reapers. At that point I might be like "you know what, gently caress you guys" too

Alleged to have killed 300k batarians. There was no real evidence unless you personally sent out a message to try to warn them and even then it was just "This is Shepard" or somesuch. Them getting a prank call from a Spectre is suspicious but it is also circumstantial.

Also 300k wasn't nearly enough.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cythereal posted:

A couple of interviews said if you change Ryder's first name all that happens is that people stop referring to you by it. Keep Scott/Sarah and NPCs will occasionally use your first name.

i'm glad they're doing that

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Can't wait to defeat Pizza the Hut.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AriadneThread posted:

i'm glad they're doing that

I am not, as I would always find it hilariously awkward that no one, not even his closest friends and most intimate lovers, ever referred to Shepard by anything but his last name.

Flanksteak Ryder, SALLY FORTH.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

FunkMonkey posted:

I am not, as I would always find it hilariously awkward that no one, not even his closest friends and most intimate lovers, ever referred to Shepard by anything but his last name.

Yeah, it would have been kind of entertaining if Joker had at least mentioned it. "Hey, you know something I noticed about you, Commander? You never say your first name. Do you even have one? Were you grown in a tube? Did your parents name you Commander, and it just worked out?"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

let us all remember the Mass Effect 2 launch trailer, still the finest launch trailer of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX1fs0_Rbbk

this fan made one is one of my favorites too.

ill have to see it tomarow i guess, doesnt look to bad.

as much as i poo poo on bioware for poo poo, i am a kinda hyped. spring breez and smells are in the air and that means RPG time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

When do the EA access people get their hands on this? I'm very interested to see their takes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CottonWolf posted:

When do the EA access people get their hands on this? I'm very interested to see their takes.

The 16th, I believe.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I wanted to be a huge nerd and read lots of words about the ME universe where would be a good place to start? I'm talking about reading things like some lonely autist's thesis on the Salesian government, that level of poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean the most of that probably got nuked when the official social network forums were shut down, but here's the Lore, Story, and General section of the unofficial forums. Probably can also find plenty of poorly written summaries on the wikia, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If I wanted to be a huge nerd and read lots of words about the ME universe where would be a good place to start? I'm talking about reading things like some lonely autist's thesis on the Salesian government, that level of poo poo.

my post history

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The Mass Effect community is so loving and accepting though, no autist is truly lonely.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Like, except in every other facet of their life, but still

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

You can also try /r/masseffectlore

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FronzelNeekburm posted:

MOVE IT FOOTBALL HEAD.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Andromeda would be a great opportunity to make batarians great again. We're constantly reminded of how much batarians love to do slavery, therefore they are bad, but you could write it so that a bunch of abolitionist batarians break off from the hegemony because they hate slavery and want to make a new society in another galaxy.

Boom, it's ok to like batarians now hire me bioware i'm very horny and would be a good fit

No, Batarians are ugly, thus must be purged.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FronzelNeekburm posted:

guessing this is The Didact Archon?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
looks like he got hit in the face with a frying pan in tome & jerry

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

FunkMonkey posted:

EA, in partnership with the WWE, will have Zack Ryder be a selectable name that gets voiced, but all characters say it in Jerry Lawler's voice.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Lookin' like a mix between tyrael and doom guy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Looks like an alien I want to shoot in the face.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Ryder, come on, we can't be putting aliens into kinds we can shoot and kinds we don't shoot categories. That's not really good for relations nor for the people worried we're gonna be the baddie kind of colonists.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Snuffman posted:

Also, its Mass Effect Multiplayer. All they have to do it copy ME3, add some cool environments and classes. How hard can that be to screw up? :ohdear:

Snuffman posted:

- DA:I multiplayer suuuuucked. Like, on paper it seemed like a cool idea with random dungeons, but the pay-2-win went way to far and made the grind awful. Actually, that's my biggest worry, that they go too far with the chests this time.

EA didn't see ME3MP's popularity coming so it was an afterthought. ME:A multiplayer is going to be milked for all it's worth.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TotalHell posted:

EA, in partnership with the WWE, will have Zack Ryder be a selectable name that gets voiced, but all characters say it in Jerry Lawler's voice.

also it adds John Cena as a secret squadmate who makes out with any alien Zack tries to get it on with.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

EA didn't see ME3MP's popularity coming so it was an afterthought. ME:A multiplayer is going to be milked for all it's worth.

Kind of odd to cancel its beta test, then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Lookin' like a mix between tyrael and doom guy.

he kinda looks like an Imp from 2016 DOOM.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Baron Corbyn posted:

also it adds John Cena as a secret squadmate who makes out with any alien Zack tries to get it on with.

But what will happens when you hit on the alien also voiced by John Cena?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Kind of odd to cancel its beta test, then.

I said it was going to be milked for all it's worth, I didn't say it was going to be good :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know what platform/format they will distribute the digital soundtrack with?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know what platform/format they will distribute the digital soundtrack with?

Here's how DA:I did it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starting a new ME3 game. Doing Vanguard. What is the best bonus power? Or what is the VG missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
For my vanguard, I always end up choosing dark channel. Reave is good too but dark channel is better, imo. It's pretty long lasting and "jumps" so you get a lot of mileage out of it.