Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

drat these guys sure love fried chicken haha. I wonder what else they love. Collared greens? Some kind of melon?

If they aren't fools, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

We're never going to know for sure, but the UFC (and therefore the fighters) got rooked on the Reebok deal because the UFC apparently did not know what the fighters were getting on sponsorship deals.The UFC was going off of anecdotal stories of lower-tier guys struggling to find sponsors and then not getting paid by sponsors, making low-4 figures on the sponsors, etc. The UFC figured "we can do better than that", and proudly presented the new signed long-term sponsorship deal to the fighters.

The mid and upper-tier fighters freaked the gently caress out because they were getting a ton of money on sponsors, in some cases a lot more than even their contracted purse. (sponsors are willing to pay to be displayed on primetime on FOX, go figure). The UFC basically laughed, called bullshit saying there's no way the main card fighters were making that much, then some of those fighters flipped their cards by showing their old now-voided sponsorship contracts, and after that we heard crickets from the UFC.

Nah, they knew it would be costing the fighters money they just didn't care because it was for their own plans/benefit. The UFC absolutely did not go off anecdotes from low tier fighters to make the deal.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

drat these guys sure love fried chicken haha. I wonder what else they love. Collared greens? Some kind of melon?

DC has specifically said that he loves Popeye's over and over, to the point that it seemed like he was trying to get a sponsorship/commercial deal.

Ronda too for that matter.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

Nah, they knew it would be costing the fighters money they just didn't care because it was for their own plans/benefit. The UFC absolutely did not go off anecdotes from low tier fighters to make the deal.

and you base that on.... what, exactly? The UFC called out the fighters for lying, thinking there was no way they were making what they claimed, and the UFC was publicly embarrassed when they were proven wrong. If they knew and didn't care, they would not have said poo poo.

The UFC negotiated the Reebok deal without knowing what the top fighters were making.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

What is the diet called where you order the spicy chicken but only eat two biscuits with it?

That one.

Wasn't Mark Hunt unironically on something like this? Like he was still gonna get combo meals, just not supersize them?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

and you base that on.... what, exactly? The UFC called out the fighters for lying, thinking there was no way they were making what they claimed, and the UFC was publicly embarrassed when they were proven wrong. If they knew and didn't care, they would not have said poo poo.

The UFC negotiated the Reebok deal without knowing what the top fighters were making.

What do you base your 10 paragraph guess on? Publicly embarrassed ? i guess if the public is hardcore mma nerds online.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

DC has specifically said that he loves Popeye's over and over, to the point that it seemed like he was trying to get a sponsorship/commercial deal.

Ronda too for that matter.

sounds like they already had one

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

1st AD posted:

no way dc is on the atkins diet

or any diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0CfNA12aFw

I will never tire of this video :allears:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

What do you base your 10 paragraph guess on? Publicly embarrassed ? i guess if the public is hardcore mma nerds online.

They said the fighters were lying and were proven wrong. That essentially proves the UFC had no clue what the fighters were making. If the UFC is pocketing most of the money, then that only supports my point even more because they got FAR less than they could have. The UFC would not have knowingly screwed themselves while negotiating with reebok.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

i wouldnt bet on rumble winning

Me either but he does have a chance

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Kekekela posted:

Wasn't Mark Hunt unironically on something like this? Like he was still gonna get combo meals, just not supersize them?

Hendricks talked about how he was on a diet plan where he could still go to whataburger and just not get the fries and be fine, don't remember if he missed weight 2 or 3 times in a row after that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rigel posted:

They said the fighters were lying and were proven wrong. That essentially proves the UFC had no clue what the fighters were making. If the UFC is pocketing most of the money, then that only supports my point even more because they got FAR less than they could have. The UFC would not have knowingly screwed themselves while negotiating with reebok.

This is my favorite part of the whole thing, the UFC played themselves because they wouldn't do the most basic amount of work.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gay Horney posted:

Hendricks talked about how he was on a diet plan where he could still go to whataburger and just not get the fries and be fine, don't remember if he missed weight 2 or 3 times in a row after that.

That's when he got on LouTrition, before 200, so that's 2 misses and 1 new division

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is my favorite part of the whole thing, the UFC played themselves because they wouldn't do the most basic amount of work.

Giblert Melendez disagrees.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

How do you know they got less than they could have and how does that relate to knowing what the fighters were making on sponsorships?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Before UFC was getting zero money now they're getting a bunch of money and have more control over how their product looks, the weren't going to get reebok to pay seventeen beeeeelion dollars to cover the amount of every 3rd tier energy drink on Zeeke "The Assassin" Wilsons banner.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dc is a bad matchup for rumble for sure, hopefully it's exciting

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Before UFC was getting zero money now they're getting a bunch of money and have more control over how their product looks, the weren't going to get reebok to pay seventeen beeeeelion dollars to cover the amount of every 3rd tier energy drink on Zeeke "The Assassin" Wilsons banner.

Exactly

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Some of you seem very confident that the businessmen in charge of the strongest mma promotion ever are simply bumblingly incompetent with money instead of greedy assholes

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Dc is a bad matchup for rumble for sure, hopefully it's exciting

Yeah for all the poo poo DC gets I think he still deserves a lot of credit for taking an overhand from Rumble and not immediately exploding into a pile of bones.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Thinking the UFC had no idea what fighters were making off sponsors is hilariously naive.

Have we already forgotten?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Neeber posted:

Thinking the UFC had no idea what fighters were making off sponsors is hilariously naive.

Have we already forgotten?

Needs to be the forum background.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Daniel cornier made a video of him dancing to a parody of all about that bass, except it was about fried chicken. One assumes it was for a commercial and not strictly for love of the game

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Similaraly, Derek Lewis was sponsored by a number of youtubers who screencap track and field or volleyball events for moments when women's shorts are up their asses, and is not and never has been organically horny.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Frankie vs yair at 211. Cool fight

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Similaraly, Derek Lewis was sponsored by a number of youtubers who screencap track and field or volleyball events for moments when women's shorts are up their asses, and is not and never has been organically horny.

I'm so glad I don't understand any of this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

Frankie vs yair at 211. Cool fight

I think Yair is really going to struggle with someone who he can't hit with something crazy and wild and is forced to rely on fundamentals. Cool as hell fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed Frankie wins every round in my opinion

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Frankie will lose

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
watching the yair / bj fight it was surprising how big yair was in comparison to bj, and bj used to be the ww champ. the times are changing. and it will probably look like the frankie / oliveira fight - competitive and high level but the unanimous decision will be clear for all to see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Atom: I got a 6 hour probation that says cub beats Artem, any takers?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Remember when Johnson landed one of his Punches on DC and he knocked him across the cage, but he didn't die?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Forceholy posted:

Remember when Johnson landed one of his Punches on DC and he knocked him across the cage, but he didn't die?
At most gyms where guys spar too hard, their chins get destroyed. At AKA they avoid this by somehow transferring all damage directly to the ligaments.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ditch posted:

At most gyms where guys spar too hard, their chins get destroyed. At AKA they avoid this by somehow transferring all damage directly to the ligaments.

Luke Rockhold would beg to differ, but he's in a dark room and can't look at screens for very long

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gay Horney posted:

The other go-to hilarious diet plan item was when BJ mentioned that he had to go on a diet and eat things like chicken salad, a dish that is like...half mayonnaise (h/t fatherdog I think)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Forceholy posted:

it must suck knowing that in a few weeks time you are going to eat at least one of them again.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

anthony "rumble" johnson will have an 8 foot height advantage and a 7,000 pound weight advantage going into this fight

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The other go-to hilarious diet plan item was when BJ mentioned that he had to go on a diet and eat things like chicken salad, a dish that is like...half mayonnaise (h/t fatherdog I think)

Well if you make it from mayonnaise sure. But more typically one makes chicken salad from chicken poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC didn't ask the fighters what they were making on sponsorships. Given that, there's no reason for the UFC to know what they were getting, because the fighters and/or their agents negotiated their own sponsorship deals pre-Reebok. Its really not in doubt now that the UFC's exclusive deal was far below what they could have gotten, given what we know now on what fighters were able to get.

The only argument against this is, "The UFC is big and successful, they couldn't possibly be this stupid, right?!" No, the UFC really was that stupid, they let themselves get lowballed by Reebok. They thought the fighters weren't getting much, and didn't bother to check first because they were focused on cleaning up the uniform.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread