Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I can't think of an active qb that fits the browns more than Brock.

E: how much do 2nd rounders typically get in their first year bonuses included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Volkerball posted:

He didn't do anything wrong from the look of it.

Story has been updated with confirmation that the drunk passenger was Aldon.

quote:

Smith was detained for public intoxication and expected to be released when he is sober and no charges will be filed, police said.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Also part of the Osweiler trade: Houston gets Cleveland's 4th round pick, also gives up a 6th rounder this year

e: BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839943252212056065

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 9, 2017

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Apparently the browns are "strongly considering" just cutting osweiler

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This is an awesome move by both teams. I'm very excited to watch Houston this season.

Also seeing Brock on the Browns hydra.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also part of the Osweiler trade: Houston gets Cleveland's 4th round pick, also gives up a 6th rounder this year

e: BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/839943252212056065

The most fitting end to that shitbird. Go Browns.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Um what was the point

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

kiimo posted:

Um what was the point

Browns bought a draft pick and Texans got the cap space to sign a good QB (Romo pls) and compete for a Super Bowl immediately.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Um what was the point

browns get a second for cap space when they were probably going to end up under the cap floor for this season anyways, and the texans can use their repurposed osweiler moneys to get not osweiler. it's a win for everyone except for osweiler lol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Browns bought a draft pick and Texans got the cap space to sign a good QB (Romo pls) and compete for a Super Bowl immediately.

well compete for a super bowl for 3 weeks until romo goes on ir

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Volkerball posted:

browns get a second for cap space when they were probably going to end up under the cap floor for this season anyways, and the texans can use their repurposed osweiler moneys to get not osweiler. it's a win for everyone except for osweiler lol.

Eh, he got paid.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Coldforge posted:

Story has been updated with confirmation that the drunk passenger was Aldon.

Bye Aldon

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh, he got paid.

Yeah, he basically gets millions to do whatever he wants. He could probably get cut and go sign up with Denver as a backup.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I wish like hell I could be as crappy at my job as Osweiler was and get that paid. No one should shed any tears for him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/839948190770167808

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

McClain is saying that the Texans aren't interested in trading for Romo, only going after him in FA. It's entirely possible Denver could get Romo and Houston would have been more than willing to trade away Osweiler just so he's off the team.

Or maybe Jay Cutler

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

After the Darkest Timeline I would really like the most feelgood story possible. Please don't dream shame.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Silly Burrito posted:

Eh, he got paid.

He's going to lose all his roster and workout bonuses and such that he would've earned from being on the team over the next couple years since he was ~uncuttable~. But beyond that, if the man had any sort of ambition about being an NFL qb, this has got to be a level of devastating that hasn't been seen in the NFL since LeCharles Bentley got a career ending injury on the first snap of mini-camp after signing with his favorite team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

McClain is saying that the Texans aren't interested in trading for Romo, only going after him in FA. It's entirely possible Denver could get Romo and Houston would have been more than willing to trade away Osweiler just so he's off the team.

Or maybe Jay Cutler

They could go Cutler and a 1st or 2nd on a QB in the draft if they didn't want to trade for Romo. Romo would probably give them the best chance in the short term though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

They could go Cutler and a 1st or 2nd on a QB in the draft if they didn't want to trade for Romo. Romo would probably give them the best chance in the short term though.

not arguing that; just funny that if McClain is right then the Texans just wanted Osweiler gone and it may not have even been due to Romo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

TheChirurgeon posted:

not arguing that; just funny that if McClain is right then the Texans just wanted Osweiler gone and it may not have even been due to Romo

Can you blame them?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah i'm with you. even in a vacuum it's the right move. but they do have to do something now since they don't have a qb

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

yeah i'm with you. even in a vacuum it's the right move. but they do have to do something now since they don't have a qb

TOM

SAVAGE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's going to own if the Browns officially say they don't even want Brock for literally zero (marginal) cost.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Has there ever been as blatant a salary dump trade as the Brock trade*? I'm trying to think up one and coming up empty.

*in the NFL

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 9, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Has there ever been as blatant a salary dump trade as the Brock trade? I'm trying to think up one and coming up empty.

there's always been rumors of them, but they never seem to actually happen. teams always just end up eating the money until they can cut the player, and bad teams with a ton of cap space just end up carrying a bunch of cap space into the season. i can't recall a single blatant salary dump like this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

axeil posted:

Has there ever been as blatant a salary dump trade as the Brock trade? I'm trying to think up one and coming up empty.

There are tons of them in the NBA but I think having as much cap space as the Browns with so little hope for being worth a poo poo the following season to be willing to eat that kind of hit is uncharted territory

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Intruder posted:

There are tons of them in the NBA but I think having as much cap space as the Browns with so little hope for being worth a poo poo the following season to be willing to eat that kind of hit is uncharted territory

Right, I mean you see them in the NBA all the time, but I've never seen one in the NFL.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

the raiders had like $120 million a couple years ago. the jags are always have a shitload too. every year there's teams that could easily eat 20 million that are in full rebuild mode. and those teams always have to go over the scrap heap for free agents, so there's nobody they could spend that cash on anyways. the deals just never happen. maybe this one will break the seal and we'll start to see them more often if the nfl doesn't try to nip it in the bud. although another thing to keep in mind is that i think you can carry cap space over from previous years in some form now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like the NFLPA is more willing to make a stink about this than the NFL will be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like the NFLPA is more willing to make a stink about this than the NFL will be.

I can't see why they would care as long as this doesn't someone make Brock lose money.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't see why they would care as long as this doesn't someone make Brock lose money.

He's losing roster/workout bonuses, right?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is losing money though. He'd lose all his roster/workout bonuses if he's cut.

Also his regular game checks.

I think salary dumps are fine but they do seem like a subversion of the rules.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

According to Spotrac he's not due a roster Bonus until 2019 (which he'll never see), and has no workout bonuses in his contract.

I could maybe see the NFLPA disliking the Browns artificially raising their cap for a player they have no intention of using, but as long as the actual money to be paid out is still paid I can't see them getting too up in arms about things.

e: Also his 2017 salary is fully guaranteed. As far as I can tell if Brock is cut today he makes just as much money as he would if he played football this year.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SKULL.GIF posted:

he's not entitled to those. the texans had the option to cut him, in which case, he would've lost all of that stuff. they would have had to carry a bunch of dead money if they did that, so osweilers contract did give incentive for the texans to keep him and pay him his bonuses over the next couple years, but there was nothing forcing them to. that's the teams jurisdiction. so long as osweiler gets his guaranteed, i don't see what the nflpa would take issue with.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I mean he can sign with another team not a big deal. He gets to be a free agent sooner every player wants that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I mean he can sign with another team not a big deal. He gets to be a free agent sooner every player wants that.

well not with offset language

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Spintzel posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They literally bought a draft pick

Yeah, and it's a pretty great move if they can flip Osweiler for anything and dump half his salary.

edit:

annnnnnnnnd here's the other shoe dropping-

https://twitter.com/RapeSheet/status/839957943433003008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2017

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The easy way to not get sucked into fake tweets is just filter out all retweets in something like TweetDeck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey, maybe rapesheet is just really focused on all the Jameis updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao you fell for it

• Locked thread