Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thank you thst was interesting I will try to look at it from another angle. I can see how my bitching is misdirected and even if its not directed at hating homeless it still dehumanizes them from people into a generic problem.

Unhelpful lashing out wont make anyone reconsider anything and just double down on their views.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yo, dude who was losing his mind about people arguing over fares, here's a life hack: Next time someone does that, just pay their fare. Bus starts moving, you've made a bunch of days better, and if everyone starts doing it the odds that you'll have to do it more than once or twice a year are low.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Jack2142 posted:

Unhelpful lashing out wont make anyone reconsider anything and just double down on their views.

We're being harsh, but you don't get to pull this act. Your moral and societal education is your responsibility, not ours. You're welcome for the hand-out.

I love how all the folks who complain about the homeless would come out ahead if we built free homes for them but it's more important to punish people for having the temerity to be poor.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

George posted:

We're being harsh, but you don't get to pull this act. Your moral and societal education is your responsibility, not ours. You're welcome for the hand-out.

I love how all the folks who complain about the homeless would come out ahead if we built free homes for them but it's more important to punish people for having the temerity to be poor.

Except I dont agree with the no free homes and help support them getting off the street position.. I dont particulaily like my encounters with them, but I do think thet deserve a better shake than the cities current policies appear to be. I would imagine you have a better picture as you mention workinf for the Parks and pretty disdainful about what your departments been told.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 9, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Except I dont agree with the no free homes and help position. I dont particulaily like my encounters with them, but I do think thet deserve a better shake than the cities current policies appear to be.
Judging by your last couple posts it looks like you are more concerned about the poor affecting you, personally, by existing in public within your vicinity.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

Judging by your last couple posts it looks like you are more concerned about the poor affecting you, personally, by existing in public within your vicinity.
Supposing this is true, so what? Why chase off someone who agrees with your policy proposals if they only agree for selfish reasons? Like I'm seeing these posts, and I'm thinking "these sound like great arguments to use against people who are opposed to helping the homeless for selfish reasons".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

twodot posted:

Supposing this is true, so what? Why chase off someone who agrees with your policy proposals if they only agree for selfish reasons?

Fundamentally, because they don't necessarily agree with those policy proposals and they certainly aren't willing to put energy into supporting those policy proposals. If your viewpoint is that the problem is the homeless, rather than homelessness, you may be open to a housing for all solution. But how hard are you going to fight for that solution when somebody else stops by and says "Yes, housing for all is very nice, but I can solve this problem more easily and at less cost with greater political buy-in. See, what we do is make it untenable for the homeless to exist in the public spaces you're in, and then they go away. Maybe we give them bus tickets out of town." You might even, in your gut, think "Wow, that's kind of crappy" but how hard are you going to push for the solution to the underlying problem if what you care about is the immediate symptoms and somebody else is making those symptoms go away?

That's how you get laws that prohibit feeding people in public spaces, or oh-so clever laws banning dogs in downtown areas. Then Jack2142 reads an article about those laws one morning and thinks "Boy, that's pretty unfair. Well. Time to go catch the bus. Glad I don't have to worry about somebody having a medical emergency in public anymore."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

Supposing this is true, so what? Why chase off someone who agrees with your policy proposals if they only agree for selfish reasons? Like I'm seeing these posts, and I'm thinking "these sound like great arguments to use against people who are opposed to helping the homeless for selfish reasons".
Because complaining about being slightly inconvenienced by a poor is an incredibly loving conceited position to take?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Poor people in general dont bother me it was this small subset of maybe like 8 people in the last few months who bothered me enough to write a dumb rant and then make some stupid comments. I am not really doing that great either financially and if it came across as punching down the last few months have been frustrating for myself not that it is a good excuse.

Im not exactly mad about getting ribbed here it make take a bit of a step back and realize the little bubble I've been in.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 9, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Because complaining about being slightly inconvenienced by a poor is an incredibly loving conceited position to take?
So you prefer being angry at conceited people you don't even know to making progress towards your policy goals?

xrunner posted:

Fundamentally, because they don't necessarily agree with those policy proposals
Maybe this is true generally, but you seem to be specifically incorrect in this particular context.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

So you prefer being angry at conceited people you don't even know to making progress towards your policy goals?
It is not an argument which demands respect.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Relax and smoke a bowl before trump sends the dea into Seattle.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

twodot posted:

Maybe this is true generally, but you seem to be specifically incorrect in this particular context.

No it makes sense its the same kind of situation you get in elections when orher people my age decide eh my vote doesnt matter despite complaining about how bad - insert party/person here- and then dont bother to vote on election day, then get surprised when bam now you dont have healthcare.Because the party you didnt want to win won because ypu didnt really care enough to take msrginal action.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

No it makes sense its the same kind of situation you get in elections when orher people my age decide eh my vote doesnt matter despite complaining about how bad - insert party/person here- and then dont bother to vote on election day, then get surprised when bam now you dont have healthcare.
I don't follow. Is your suggestion here that if I encounter a person on the Internet saying "my vote doesn't matter and person X is bad" and I agree that person X is bad, I should immediately assume 1) They are whatever age you are 2) That they aren't going to vote on election day 3) They will be surprised by whatever happens after the next election, and therefore it's reasonable for me to just start shouting at them about how they are lazy idiots because of an event that hasn't even happened yet?

You're an ally on this particular topic, yelling at you for being an ally for the wrong reasons is counterproductive to that particular topic. If the fact that you're an ally for the wrong reasons ever turns you into an enemy, that's when you shout at people.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

twodot posted:

I don't follow. Is your suggestion here that if I encounter a person on the Internet saying "my vote doesn't matter and person X is bad" and I agree that person X is bad, I should immediately assume 1) They are whatever age you are 2) That they aren't going to vote on election day 3) They will be surprised by whatever happens after the next election, and therefore it's reasonable for me to just start shouting at them about how they are lazy idiots because of an event that hasn't even happened yet?

You're an ally on this particular topic, yelling at you for being an ally for the wrong reasons is counterproductive to that particular topic. If the fact that you're an ally for the wrong reasons ever turns you into an enemy, that's when you shout at people.

Well nothats not what I was trying to say yelling at people generally doesnt work or telling them their bad tends to close people up. The point I guess I was trying to make is that people who only are lukewarm supporters when push comes to shove you cant count on them not stepping out of the way instead of providing support.

Like hey we could get the homless off the street by uppin property tax which sure I support in theory. However since I am being selfish I hear said new tax will pump up my rent I decide eh gently caress it fixing the homeless problem isnt worth it. That kind of support is quick to evaporate and if you really care about an issue those types of people are insanely frustrating to deal with.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Homelessness is a societal issue that can't be nimbyed away by banning the symptoms, AND mentally ill smelly people have a negative impact on the people around them. These positions are not mutually exclusive.

My city held an :siren: EMERGENCY CITY COUNCIL MEETING :siren: to ban handing anything out a car window to a pedestrian on any roadway, because the occasional hobo or panhandler begging for change by the off-ramp was a HUGE GODDAMNED DEAL apparently. Pissed me off, I liked giving those guys my bags of returnable cans that aren't worth my time to recycle. :|

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

got any sevens posted:

Relax and smoke a bowl before trump sends the dea into Seattle.

Donald Trump doesn't know where the PNW is. Seriously, the time he showed up in Washington state he thought he'd been kidnapped.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Relevant Tangent posted:

Donald Trump doesn't know where the PNW is. Seriously, the time he showed up in Washington state he thought he'd been kidnapped.

Did he have a rally in Spokane?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

double post

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

twodot posted:

yeah I'm sure he's just a handful of delicate sugar coated words away from becoming an impactful advocate of homeless policy

I realize I am being very aggressive about this issue but I've been at the last couple of homeless sweeps first south of Ballard bridge, and then at the Field of Dreams, and it makes me mad as hell to see such pointless, wasteful and spiteful actions taken by the city. the political basis for them is rooted that kind of self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden, and I have about zero patience for it. I think it should be called out for what it is.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Hey, poo poo posting from detroit bcuz I read you're all gonna die in some giant fuckoff earthquake this century what's up with that/how much is it gonna cost to rebuild/y'all should come move to Detroit and help us keep the water from becoming flammable again k?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ugh quote is not edit

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The Groper posted:

Hey, poo poo posting from detroit bcuz I read you're all gonna die in some giant fuckoff earthquake this century what's up with that/how much is it gonna cost to rebuild/y'all should come move to Detroit and help us keep the water from becoming flammable again k?

Rather die in a kick-rear end earthquake than Detroit! Rode out the earthquake in 2001, next time I'm gonna do a kickflip.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Groper posted:

Sorry, people in the PNW are woodland elves and Detroit is well known gnome country. We would not mesh well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Groper posted:

If I live to see this earthquake it will have been too long anyway/too much and not enough will be spent/while it is hilarious to imagine a flood of White People entering Detroit and the Detroit area I think that plan needs a lil more thought

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SeaborneClink posted:

Okay but do you wish LTD would lick your sweaty shaven nut-sack?

I think you're forgetting it's the EmX that stole are parking lot and forever turned West 11th into Satan's butthole as far as traffic is concerned.
eminent domain. we're creating jobs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah I'm sure he's just a handful of delicate sugar coated words away from becoming an impactful advocate of homeless policy

I realize I am being very aggressive about this issue but I've been at the last couple of homeless sweeps first south of Ballard bridge, and then at the Field of Dreams, and it makes me mad as hell to see such pointless, wasteful and spiteful actions taken by the city. the political basis for them is rooted that kind of self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden, and I have about zero patience for it. I think it should be called out for what it is.
Do you think calling out self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden from people who agree with your policy goals helps or hurts accomplishing your policy goals?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I, personally, lust for Quake Death

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

twodot posted:

Do you think calling out self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden from people who agree with your policy goals helps or hurts accomplishing your policy goals?
This:
"self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden"
Is absolutely poisonous to this:
"accomplishing your policy goals"

The people who participate in the former cannot hold those views and accomplish the latter.

Just like anybody screaming about 'ferners takin are jorbs' will never be anything but an obstacle to providing justice for immigrants.

Its a wholly incompatible world view. I'm being harsh, but you really can't do both so fuckin pick one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yeah I mean, do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten where it did if it delicately navigated around the racist attitudes of its nominal political allies, or by appealing to the self-interest of people with backwards attitudes when that self-interest happened to coincide with the interests of black liberation?

im pretty sure that solidarity is a far more effective basis for a political movement, and you don't get to solidarity by tolerating chauvinism

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hey on a much more positive note, I'm pretty thrilled about this:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/activist-nikkita-oliver-to-run-against-mayor-ed-murray/

nothing gives me more delight than thinking about the SPD squirming under a Mayor Oliver. murray's a piece of poo poo (for instance he has consistently refused to stop the homeless sweeps despite city councilors turning on the practice) and I'd be happy to see him go.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Mr. Lobe posted:

hey on a much more positive note, I'm pretty thrilled about this:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/activist-nikkita-oliver-to-run-against-mayor-ed-murray/

nothing gives me more delight than thinking about the SPD squirming under a Mayor Oliver. murray's a piece of poo poo (for instance he has consistently refused to stop the homeless sweeps despite city councilors turning on the practice) and I'd be happy to see him go.

I am legit excited just to see her run. She has not only been fighting for Black Lives Matter, but she was there with the DAPL protests/divestment from Wells Fargo, and for immigrants rights on inauguration day. It is going to be a tough fight though. Murray has a ton of money, and the backing of many unions. The good news is that I have seen a lot of positive response to her announcement. Even The Urbanist had good things to say about her running. If a large coalition of different organizations back her, she might actually have a chance of winning.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's some real estate up for sale, but it's in southern Oregon http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2017/03/now_you_can_own_an_entire_sout.html

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Should post it in the climate change prepper thread.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jack2142 posted:

Thats part of what I meant? Paying police money to go into these camps and clean them outis a giant waste of resources? Paying the fire department to give Narcon to a transient who OD'd and take him to an emergency room which will release them in a few days to the streets without a treatment programjust burns money and doesnt solve anything. King County sheriffs dropping people off in Seattle so they make it Seattles problems are also hosed up.

How is saving a life "burning money"?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Eh. At this point I think it's fair to stop dog-piling on the guy. He seems to have reevaluated his position and expressed contrition.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Error 404 posted:

This:
"self-absorbed contempt for the downtrodden"
Is absolutely poisonous to this:
"accomplishing your policy goals"

The people who participate in the former cannot hold those views and accomplish the latter.

Just like anybody screaming about 'ferners takin are jorbs' will never be anything but an obstacle to providing justice for immigrants.

Its a wholly incompatible world view. I'm being harsh, but you really can't do both so fuckin pick one.
Why can't people on this forum answer a question. You encounter a person saying "Man I really hate my bus service being interrupted, I think we should feed and house the homeless to reduce the number of times my bus service gets interrupted." Do you say "Hell yes, feeding and housing the homeless is good, let's do that" or shout at them for wanting good things for bad reasons?

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah I mean, do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten where it did if it delicately navigated around the racist attitudes of its nominal political allies, or by appealing to the self-interest of people with backwards attitudes when that self-interest happened to coincide with the interests of black liberation?

im pretty sure that solidarity is a far more effective basis for a political movement, and you don't get to solidarity by tolerating chauvinism
I'm not asking for delicate navigation, I'm saying if you find a person that wants the same thing you want, then you should work with that person to get the stuff you both want. If it turns out the white dude wants equal rights because he's not so secretly got a racist fetish for black people, well that's not great, but getting equal rights is still good. Get solidarity over getting the stuff you actually want.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

It's burning money when we can get better results (ie treat that person before they OD) for less money. Having firefighters treating people and dumping them in ERs is more expensive than preventative treatment and also has strictly worse outcomes than preventative treatment.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 10, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

xrunner posted:

Eh. At this point I think it's fair to stop dog-piling on the guy. He seems to have reevaluated his position and expressed contrition.

Yeah sorry didn't see so many posts. I GOT ALL EXCITED

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

Why can't people on this forum answer a question. You encounter a person saying "Man I really hate my bus service being interrupted, I think we should feed and house the homeless to reduce the number of times my bus service gets interrupted." Do you say "Hell yes, feeding and housing the homeless is good, let's do that" or shout at them for wanting good things for bad reasons?

I'm not asking for delicate navigation, I'm saying if you find a person that wants the same thing you want, then you should work with that person to get the stuff you both want. If it turns out the white dude wants equal rights because he's not so secretly got a racist fetish for black women, well that's not great, but getting equal rights is still good. Get solidarity over getting the stuff you actually want.
Okay, cool, let's freak out and get all hyperbolic about innocuous statements:

twodot posted:

It's burning money when we can get better results (ie treat that person before they OD) for less money. Having firefighters treating people and dumping them in ERs is more expensive than preventative treatment and also has strictly worse outcomes than preventative treatment.
Why do you think we should abolish reactive treatments altogether? If you believe that firefighters shouldn't be allowed to treat someone with Narcan, then maybe you agree that they shouldn't be hosing down houses on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

twodot posted:

I'm not asking for delicate navigation, I'm saying if you find a person that wants the same thing you want, then you should work with that person to get the stuff you both want. If it turns out the white dude wants equal rights because he's not so secretly got a racist fetish for black people, well that's not great, but getting equal rights is still good. Get solidarity over getting the stuff you actually want.

You're essentially arguing that we should respect the feelings of bigots and assholes by not calling them bigots and assholes.What the hell, man? What about the people who have to endure the abuse from those bigots and assholes? No point in standing up for those people because we'll chase away people who treat them like trash while nominally advocating for issues that aid them?