Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CubsWoo posted:

It drops from an optional boss in Hyrule Castle, no quest attached. It has extreme durability (the #2 most durable shield in the game according to the book has 32 durability, Hylian has 800) but it can break and outside of a lucky amiibo scan you can't get another one.

if the Hylian shield breaks you can buy a new one from the secret shop in Tarrey Town. You have to finish all the Tarrey Town quests for that to be open. And its 3,000 rupees.

Everything in the game is either permanent or replaceable, luckily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a guy in the town you build that sells all the unique poo poo you can pick up and not get anywhere else.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

I think you have to have enough stamina--maybe try eating food that gives you temp stamina?

Are you sure? I upgraded my stamina thing twice and it's at max when I first get on one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Are you sure? I upgraded my stamina thing twice and it's at max when I first get on one.

Yeah mounting weird things takes a lot of stamina. Two upgrades probably just isn't enough

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaphod42 posted:

if the Hylian shield breaks you can buy a new one from the secret shop in Tarrey Town. You have to finish all the Tarrey Town quests for that to be open. And its 3,000 rupees.

Everything in the game is either permanent or replaceable, luckily.

What if you got the master sword before doing eventide island, dropped it in shore before the mission you could cheese it, then forgot to drop it again before finishing when the sage takes all your stuff back. I lost a lightscale trident that way, and the worst part is even though I planned on cheesing it I didn't actually end up doing it, I did it without using it. Luckily the Trident is replacable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, the stupid WiiU resets the deadzones on the Pro controller thumbsticks every time it wakes up, and it auto-sleeps if you don't use it for a couple moments, and then if it messes up the deadzone you are hosed because the tablet refuses to do anything while the Pro controller is sending inputs, and there's no way to power off the controller without turning off the console too.

This has happened to me like 3 times now where I have to reset the console to play, and right now I'm in the middle of a boss, so its gonna send me back to the start of the dungeon. Not that they're long, but comeon.

E: Thank god, you can fix it by holding A, B, +, and - for several seconds. Was driving me crazy.
Okay, thank you, mine was doing this too and it's super annoying, didn't know if it was just me.

I'd turn the console on and back off again at the start of every session and that'd work eventually

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm in the minority, but with how much fun running, jumping, climbing and gliding around the world is in this game I went straight for Stamina upgrades. Got two wheels now and I feel like a god :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Never run into that, but if it autosleeps and resets the neutral zone every few seconds, why not just let it fall asleep real fast to reset the neutral zone rather than rebooting the console?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mulva posted:

There's a guy in the town you build that sells all the unique poo poo you can pick up and not get anywhere else.

Who's this dude because I fully built the town and I guess I haven't talked to him.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but with how much fun running, jumping, climbing and gliding around the world is in this game I went straight for Stamina upgrades. Got two wheels now and I feel like a god :getin:

I went half and half until a 2nd wheel, now I am going to go all hearts for reasons

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

There's a downside to that: (lightest possible spoilers I could do here) you're going to need 13 hearts (real ones, not temporary ones) for something you probably want to do sooner than later.

Of course, you can respec your hearts and stamina containers pretty cheap, so it's not a big deal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Also, this game should get game of the year for being an open world game and not being riddled all over with game breaking bugs and poo poo. I haven't encountered a single glitch in 80~ hours.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I found a giant boomerang. This game owns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

There's a downside to that: (lightest possible spoilers I could do here) you're going to need 13 hearts (real ones, not temporary ones) for something you probably want to do.

Of course, you can respec your hearts and stamina containers pretty cheap, so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I upgraded some hearts while getting my stamina (just so I can survive two hits instead of one hit from the places I've been roaming) but now that I got the second wheel I'm going 100% hearts.

Speaking of hearts, does anyone have any idea what difference armor actually makes? I've been switching between sets depending on what I'm doing (aka. climbing 50% of the time, stealthing 40% and looking pretty the other 10%) but I haven't really paid attention to armor values and damage taken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I upgraded some hearts while getting my stamina (just so I can survive two hits instead of one hit from the places I've been roaming) but now that I got the second wheel I'm going 100% hearts.

Speaking of hearts, does anyone have any idea what difference armor actually makes? I've been switching between sets depending on what I'm doing (aka. climbing 50% of the time, stealthing 40% and looking pretty the other 10%) but I haven't really paid attention to armor values and damage taken.

According to the guide, at least, armor is pretty much linear with damage. If you get hit by a weapon that has 10 attack and you have 5 defense, you take 5 damage. Every heart is 4 HP. I think attacks do a minimum of 1 damage (a quarter heart) no matter how much defense you have, but because some weapons do 40+ damage, it's good to keep on top of armor. And I'm pretty sure weapons do as much damage in enemy hands as they do in yours, and if that's the case, it's pretty easy to find out how much attack power a given enemy has by just looking at the weapon they drop.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Your Computer posted:

Wearing two-star soldier armour and I feel close to indestructible. Pretty much the only things that reliably do more than a quarter heart in damage are mini-bosses and, uh, electric keese.

I loving hate electric keese.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i sometimes do dumb roleplay poo poo with my armor. Like I'm around the rainforest area and the map says it's like 95 degrees in there so i'll do stuff as shirtless link with basic pants while im there since it's hot as hell. I take my Hylian hood off if I'm in towns for the first time so Link's face is actually visible. The only thing I never wear is the headgear of the solider's set cause it looks mondo dumb on every possible outfit.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Moltrey posted:

The only thing I never wear is the headgear of the solider's set cause it looks mondo dumb on every possible outfit.

"mondo dumb" is a weird way to spell "rad as gently caress" :colbert:

(No reason ever not to wear the diamond tiara instead, though)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

According to the guide, at least, armor is pretty much linear with damage. If you get hit by a weapon that has 10 attack and you have 5 defense, you take 5 damage. Every heart is 4 HP. I think attacks do a minimum of 1 damage (a quarter heart) no matter how much defense you have, but because some weapons do 40+ damage, it's good to keep on top of armor. And I'm pretty sure weapons do as much damage in enemy hands as they do in yours, and if that's the case, it's pretty easy to find out how much attack power a given enemy has by just looking at the weapon they drop.

Yeah this was the impression I got from playing with stats, that armor is just a flat 'soak' value. Which means its pretty dang good.

Moltrey posted:

i sometimes do dumb roleplay poo poo with my armor. Like I'm around the rainforest area and the map says it's like 95 degrees in there so i'll do stuff as shirtless link with basic pants while im there since it's hot as hell. I take my Hylian hood off if I'm in towns for the first time so Link's face is actually visible. The only thing I never wear is the headgear of the solider's set cause it looks mondo dumb on every possible outfit.

Fashion souls is important! :)

I've got a red hood / blue tunic look for my Ashitaka fantasy, but I swap outfits as appropriate. (And find ways to mix and match to get the necessary bonuses but still look fly)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait the TOWN you can BUILD??? dont tell me anymore cause that probably should have been spoiled but holy gently caress

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a dumb bowl with a red feather, I hate it!! It even ruins the whole Solider set it's a part of. I wear the Hylian Hood instead even tho it's less optimal cause I don't like it.

Tho when I get the gerudo belly dancer outfit, you know that's all I'm gonna wear the rest of the game.

e: I assume the idea of the dye shop is not wear a whole outfit at once, but just the piece you want? I just went in there once and was about to make my outfit like blue or something and realized oh wait, I don't wanna be ALL blue.

I need to explore the dyes more, seems like it's the next level for good fashion in this game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the perspective shift from the water and the red thing sticking up makes link look really funny when you're swimming with the soldier helmet on

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
See, I wear that poo poo with the Hylian hood, set bonus be damned.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic of fashion, can I say how much I appreciate that they have several headpieces that are basically different hairstyles? :v: The design team definitely went unabashedly all-in on Link being a cutie and I love it.

Harrow posted:

Neat! Thanks.

e:

Moltrey posted:

e: I assume the idea of the dye shop is not wear a whole outfit at once, but just the piece you want? I just went in there once and was about to make my outfit like blue or something and realized oh wait, I don't wanna be ALL blue.

I need to explore the dyes more, seems like it's the next level for good fashion in this game
Yeah, you can dye individual pieces by only wearing those pieces. You won't be able to preview how it's gonna look with the rest of your armor, but it's absolutely wonderful for next level fashion-ing :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 9, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah I went broke buying the Shiekah mask early in the game cause it put Link's hair up in a bun and of course I absolutely needed that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So there I am booking it southbound along Hylia River when I see Shenron flying around.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Walrus posted:

wait the TOWN you can BUILD??? dont tell me anymore cause that probably should have been spoiled but holy gently caress

You help build it but you don't determine the layout or anything, it's just a long quest line.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Your Computer posted:

While we're on the topic of fashion, can I say how much I appreciate that they have several headpieces that are basically different hairstyles? :v: The design team definitely went unabashedly all-in on Link being a cutie and I love it.
I'm proud of my perfect son, but especially when he's cross-dressing. :allears:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Moltrey posted:

Once I pick up the last piece I need from the climbing gear, I'm going to dye it all black and be the Dread Pirate Roberts. It's the perfect look and bonus to use when scaling cliffs to fight giants.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Completed Eventide (I cheated, FU whoever bitched me out about it) and then went to Kakariko and the guy said the blood moon dialogue so now I'm waiting and he had better not have been lying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

(I cheated, FU whoever bitched me out about it)

shameful

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this game has the best cast of korokters

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

alf_pogs posted:

this game has the best cast of korokters

Yahaha! You found me!

Buh-bye!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still cannot believe there are 900 Koroks scattered around the map.

Looking forward to the first idiot doing a 100% speedrun spending hours tracking down the one they missed :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yahaha! You found me!

Buh-bye!

Ouch!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Noo, I'm sorry! It wasn't on purpose :ohdear:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

How dare you!? Don't hurt my little leaf face friends by dropping rocks on their heads!

Your Computer posted:

Noo, I'm sorry! It wasn't on purpose :ohdear:

This guy gets it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did all the shrines and got the reward. Emotional as gently caress.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

oh wow so dog spoiler feed them a meat and get them happy and they will sniff out chests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive played so much of this game and seen almost nothing