Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Boomers are unquestionably the worst generation of people the United States had ever produced and likely in the top 5 for the world. They are stupid, they are uncaring. They are self-centered and narcissistic, and they project all of their horrible qualities onto millennials.

They have had the most given to them, yet are the stingiest with it. They hate seeing their neighbors succeed. The world will be so much better without them that it is nearly criminal that they have not been overthrown and executed and history would look more kindly on Gen X'ers and millennials were they to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

Boomers are unquestionably the worst generation of people the United States had ever produced and likely in the top 5 for the world. They are stupid, they are uncaring. They are self-centered and narcissistic, and they project all of their horrible qualities onto millennials.

They have had the most given to them, yet are the stingiest with it. They hate seeing their neighbors succeed. The world will be so much better without them that it is nearly criminal that they have not been overthrown and executed and history would look more kindly on Gen X'ers and millennials were they to do so.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fascinated every time I remember this happened the year I was born

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Minnesota: still the only good state

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Belding posted:

they've destroyed every single social system they've passed through like a baseball-sized kidneystone

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Mr. Belding posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so drat many of them that their voting power outweighs every other voting block.

I do try to point out to them that they're going to be hated by every generation to come in a way what will make the Nazis look like sainted martyrs. A generation of spoiled, petty children.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like when they blame their children for the way they themselves raised them

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

death to the boomer generation

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like when they blame their children for the way they themselves raised them

the strangest part of this like a lot of boomer stuff is how internally inconsistent it is

they think kids who were raised in the 80s and 90s were super coddled, and also that reagan's economic policy ushered in prosperity unprecedented since the 1950s, while never making the connection between the two concepts

like even if they were right about us and right about reaganomics, it never occurs to them to think "maybe kids become coddled, have higher expectations, etc when they grow up in economically prosperous times and cultures, so that this thing we gripe about is an emergent consequence of this thing we love"

at times it feels like their embrace of individualism and selfishness is so radical that they don't understand fundamental social science concepts, or even that you can glean anything meaningful by measuring trends and observing group behavior

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Brown Menace posted:

i dont quite know what to make of boomers tbh

i mean the are The Enemy, in the way a force attacking you is, but they lived in just such an absurdly different time

it dawned on my after a grueling job search where i finally found something halfway decent after literally hundreds of applications accompanied by the hectoring of my boomer parents

i asked them how many jobs they had applied to, since they were butting in so much, and the answer was quite sobering: 1 application. not each, but among them, just my dad, the one. while he was walking down the street one day towards the end of his studies, a guy who knew his brother mistook him for his brother and took him to the factory he owned since my dad did not break character. at the factory, he revealed he was not his brother. guy hired him on the spot anyway, with a salary i could only dream of in todays terms. the application was successful but my dad was obviously no longer interested

i mean how do you even explain the current economic situation to a generation which is used to that sort of absurd abundance being the normal

thanks for reading my gayass parent story

You can still get away with the 1 application thing, but the rules are different and it isn't all the boomers' fault. Technology has changed, just like you can use the internet to culminate the best possible friend circle, business can scour droves of applications because finding a business to submit your resume to can be done on the couch while watching a sitcom. No personality involved, no lasting impressions outside of the consistency of your work history and if you were on the military.

I put in 5 yesterday & already have had 2 callbacks, but I also went in person, asked to speak to the hiring manager directly & asked them about the type of work I would be doing. I've also been on the other side (2008) where it took 200 applications to get a minimum wage job, but it was also during the biggest recession in nearly a century and I was fresh to the workforce with no idea on how to score a job, because school doesn't teach you things like that, or taxes, etc.

Boomers, in general, are extreme shitbags though. They also don't seem to understand that the world is any different than it was 50 years ago without getting mad about immigration.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Hodgepodge posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so drat many of them that their voting power outweighs every other voting block.

I do try to point out to them that they're going to be hated by every generation to come in a way what will make the Nazis look like sainted martyrs. A generation of spoiled, petty children.

They don't give a gently caress. They never imagined a world after themselves and are doing their damndest to make sure that there isn't one.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839981897900003328

Expect to see a lot more of this in the coming weeks as Trump starts to do things that gently caress over old white people and not just everyone else

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Mr. Belding posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Mr. Belding posted:

They don't give a gently caress. They never imagined a world after themselves and are doing their damndest to make sure that there isn't one.

part of the fun is reminding them that they must one day die

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
even calling them old sets them off it's p great

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839981897900003328

Expect to see a lot more of this in the coming weeks as Trump starts to do things that gently caress over old white people and not just everyone else

:ughh:
That entire thread.

https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839984196919689217
https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839984648436498432
https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839985010451107842

"I really needed that Medicaid I have, why no I didn't pay any attention to health care before I voted to die"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

:ughh:
That entire thread.

https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839984196919689217
https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839984648436498432
https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/839985010451107842

"I really needed that Medicaid I have, why no I didn't pay any attention to health care before I voted to die"

shouldn't have smoked all that pot

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
"boomers are constantly complaining about millennials" -- every millennial ever, complaining about boomers (i.e. their parents)

"boomers can't understand how things have changed since they were kids!" -- said by millennials who bash bill clinton for supporting DOMA and DADT

boomers normalized women's rights and relaxed the strict sexual mores of the 50s. they ended jim crow and oversaw vast (albeit incomplete) improvements in the cultural inclusivity of US society that are the bedrock for all of today's social justice movements.

so far, millennials have birthed a bumper crop of neo-nazis and the notion that political power can be obtained by not voting.

every generation has problems, and they rarely see their own. let's not get too full of ourselves.

(for the record im in my mid 30s, idk wtf my generation is supposed to be)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
i don't think millennials will be much better than boomers, slightly worse in some ways

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've never liked generational attacks, because there's sure as poo poo poor boomers and lucky, rich millennials. But what has annoyed me is realizing how close The New Deal is in historical terms, and that the only generation that got to see it in full was the Boomers. What little bits of social democracy we implemented was enjoyed in full by the boomers and decried as irresponsible and unsustainable by them. Now I know it's not all of them, but hearing a constant refrain of how social security and medicare and medicaid are in trouble after being fully enjoyed and politically gutted by the generation telling me that I'm not going to be able to see them is... man, it's enough to make my blood boil over.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Belding posted:

Ima boomer I think

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they ended jim crow and oversaw vast (albeit incomplete) improvements in the cultural inclusivity of US society that are the bedrock for all of today's social justice movements.

you're confusing boomers with their parents here

not that they wouldn't love to claim the civil rights era or the legalization of abortion just like they claim the countercultural movement, which the majority (who didn't participate) saw and reversed course on hard as soon as they began to gain power in the 80s

no, as a political bloc they've been selfish toxic shitholes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

you're prob. a millennial.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

LinYutang posted:

i don't think millennials will be much better than boomers, slightly worse in some ways

If they're only as good as boomers they will have done it with half the resources and despite the lovely state their scumbag parents left the world in. They will inherit a steaming pile of poo poo and have nowhere to go but up.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Grondoth posted:

I've never liked generational attacks, because there's sure as poo poo poor boomers and lucky, rich millennials. But what has annoyed me is realizing how close The New Deal is in historical terms, and that the only generation that got to see it in full was the Boomers. What little bits of social democracy we implemented was enjoyed in full by the boomers and decried as irresponsible and unsustainable by them. Now I know it's not all of them, but hearing a constant refrain of how social security and medicare and medicaid are in trouble after being fully enjoyed and politically gutted by the generation telling me that I'm not going to be able to see them is... man, it's enough to make my blood boil over.

You somehow recovered this post and made it pretty good after that really boring and lovely opening. That's the sort of recovery millennials will have to make to make of this world.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Boo

"boomers are constantly complaining about millennials" -- every millennial ever, complaining about boomers (i.e. their parents)

"boomers can't understand how things have changed since they were kids!" -- said by millennials who bash bill clinton for supporting DOMA and DADT

boomers normalized women's rights and relaxed the strict sexual mores of the 50s. they ended jim crow and oversaw vast (albeit incomplete) improvements in the cultural inclusivity of US society that are the bedrock for all of today's social justice movements.

so far, millennials have birthed a bumper crop of neo-nazis and the notion that political power can be obtained by not voting.

every generation has problems, and they rarely see their own. let's not get too full of ourselves.

You're gen x which is why this post is so bad and you think Jim crow ever ended.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

baby boomers did not do any of that poo poo. the absolute youngest baby boomers were 19 years old when the civil rights act was passed.

face it. the "greatest generation" really was. despite being racist and awful and locking up the japanese, some of the ones in power actually pushed for a better world.

then the boomers turned 40 and started dismantling it. also vietnam.

the black husserl has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Mar 10, 2017

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Fiction posted:

Boo

You're gen x which is why this post is so bad and you think Jim crow ever ended.

most definitions of millennial start it at around 80-82, so the oldest of them would be mid-30s.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Elder Postsman posted:

most definitions of millennial start it at around 80-82, so the oldest of them would be mid-30s.

I was born in '82, and it's been weird being right on the edge of most of what defines being a millenial culturally.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

the old way of defining generations became kinda obsolete because of how fast the internet changed pop culture experiences

if you grew up with facebook and youtube in middle school you're totally different from the kids who couldn't get on social media until college, even though you're only maybe 5 years apart in age

millennial now is just a dumb word for "young person" or "young people i don't like"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
every day, i thank god i wasn't born in a terrible third world country like america

up here we even had some good boomers. they couldn't fight the tide, but they held it back from flooding us with total poo poo

rip you died too soon

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

like everything good the boomers ever did, it turns out that things like the civil rights act were entirely just for the boomers and is now being burned to the ground as they leave this earth screaming "black on black crime"

edit: pretty sure you don't get to claim being the "racially conscious" generation when most of it just elected a man who put appointed a klansman to be the AG

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

the black husserl posted:

baby boomers did not do any of that poo poo. the absolute youngest baby boomers were 19 years old when the civil rights act was passed.

face it. the "greatest generation" really was. despite being racist and awful and locking up the japanese, some of the ones in power actually pushed for a better world.

then the boomers turned 40 and started dismantling it. also vietnam.

Greatest Generation - Product of their time. Generally principled, but don't know better than racism. Grew up around people who look like them.

Successes: WWII, Liberalism, Feminism, Civil Rights Act

Failures: WWII, Liberalism, started Cold War, still pretty racist

Boomers - Grew up under New Deal and strongest economy in the history of the world. Went on to have very good careers with very low price of entry. On the whole unlikable, unsympathetic, and abhorrent.

Successes: Got mine.

Failures: gently caress you. Also just as racist but their parents but pretend to hide it. Tend to lose wars or settle for half victories. Elected Reagan (5 times), Reagan light (2 times), and recently Fat Baby Hitler. Other inventions include modern banking. Repeal of step tax. Savings and loan crisis (twice). Made every mistake of every previous generation in grander fashion and always more than once. Invented modern bipartisanship where the right is a nazi and the left is Ronald Reagan. Mostly responsible for FOX News and CBS. Overly violent due to lead poisoning.

Gen X: Pretty good at guitar music. Invented hip hop. First digital generation with geniuses who learned computing at a young age. Their distant apathy is a legendary and reasonable response to the excess of the boomers. The smartest boomers still dismissed them as lazy idiots, even though their response was both reasonable and portentous.

Successes: Notorious B.I.G. Tupac. Outkast. Grunge. MUDS. World of Warcraft. They always made good pop culture. Entered job market prior to 1999 at best or 2007 at worst.

Failures: Lackeys and goons for the boomers. Supported liberalism. "Don't see race." Tend to be condescending and disconnected. Accepted unpaid internships, essentially re-institutionalizing slavery. Mildly dumb due to mercury poisoning.

Millennials: Grew up entirely digitally. Witnessed the worst of capitalism. Hit college during the height of educational expectations and inflation.

Successes: None? Better at irony than boomers who can't do it all, and Gen X who usually got it later.

Failures: Haven't done poo poo yet. I think they will get there.

I'm 35 which makes me either a young gen X or old millennial, but I entered the job market late which makes me identify more with millennials. I also think they are better people when I interact with them.

Mr. Belding has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The worst thing about millennials is that they're so apathetic at this point a lot of them just say gently caress it and let the olds ruin everything with no opposition

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Crocoswine posted:

The worst thing about millennials is that they're so apathetic at this point a lot of them just say gently caress it and let the olds ruin everything with no opposition

Olds are less susceptible to and targeted by disenfranchisement.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Sure, but I've heard far too many people, in my actual day to day life, talk about how they didn't vote/voted third party/wrote in a "real liberal", so I don't think that 8% is entirely because of disenfranchisement. Lotta apathy and a lot of idealistic dumbasses, sadly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Crocoswine posted:

Sure, but I've heard far too many people, in my actual day to day life, talk about how they didn't vote/voted third party/wrote in a "real liberal", so I don't think that 8% is entirely because of disenfranchisement. Lotta apathy and a lot of idealistic dumbasses, sadly.

Lest we forget the many, many posters on our beloved forums who constantly shittalked Hillary and still treat Trump's win as a victory.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Ima boomer I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEOLceRmsQ&t=5s

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Lest we forget the many, many posters on our beloved forums who constantly shittalked Hillary and still treat Trump's win as a victory.

It's weird how much this sentiment varies even on cspam depending on what thread you're in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Hodgepodge posted:

Many more said and were repeatedly probated or harassed in D&D for "Hillary is struggling, I'm worried."