Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

I always forget COPs are Modern-legal. Is there a reason they never get played? COP:Red seems like a decent sideboard card against burn. Is it just that it's not good against any decks other than burn specifically, and decks with access to white would rather play something like Kor Firewalker?

Its in my list because its FNM and it brings out the lol's. Surprising how often my burn opponents waste Destructive Revelry on something else and then sighs at enchantment that takes over the game. I would play firewalker but its just so hard to cast in the deck.

suicidesteve posted:

Pretty much. Plus holding up 5 mana is a bad way to beat burn, especially when they have Skullcracks after sideboarding.

I doubt skullcrack is coming from the board unless its game 3 or have played against me before. At that point I side it out anyway when the surprise is gone. The deck just doesn't have that many good burn sideboard options. I have played with sorin before but I dislike 4 drops in the deck.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Speaking as police, there's not a ton to be done. It's either a civil matter, since a willing exchange happened, or maaaaybe something in NC called "obtaining property by false pretense", the pretense being that you received a real card in exchange for a fake one while leading someone to believe the fake was real. Dunno if a magistrate/judge would go for it, seriously doubt it. Probably would end up being a civil matter and probably wouldn't be worth hearing unless the card was worth a lot.

It's theft by false pretenses (which would generally amount to petty larceny since very few cards are on the level of Black Lotuses), but I imagine the only way law enforcement would get involved is if you could prove there was a huge fraudulent enterprise or something or there was some other kind of more easily provable crime stacked on top of it.

I mean, if I call the police and say "this card this dude sold me is fake but he represented it as real," I imagine the cop will say "Huh. Well, gently caress if I know what a fake card looks like."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

If you are going to play this deck, first you have to realize that its going to be expensive for what amounts a very casual deck. If you have the expensive cards , go for it.

It seems really cheap for a modern deck, other than the fetches and the fulminators and thoughtseizes in the board, nothing is over ~12 bucks and most of it is less than a couple.

Why do you play oath of lili with only two walkers? And why the two one-of walkers anyway?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

It seems really cheap for a modern deck, other than the fetches and the fulminators and thoughtseizes in the board, nothing is over ~12 bucks and most of it is less than a couple.

Why do you play oath of lili with only two walkers? And why the two one-of walkers anyway?

The oath was a typo. Another Nissa should be there.

The 1 of's are there because I was attempting to get a feel with what works and 1 of's are fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have you considered Spike Feeder in the board for burn? It's also got a decent uptick if you have a scales in play, which might not be bad for control matchups if those ever exist.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

It's theft by false pretenses (which would generally amount to petty larceny since very few cards are on the level of Black Lotuses), but I imagine the only way law enforcement would get involved is if you could prove there was a huge fraudulent enterprise or something or there was some other kind of more easily provable crime stacked on top of it.

I mean, if I call the police and say "this card this dude sold me is fake but he represented it as real," I imagine the cop will say "Huh. Well, gently caress if I know what a fake card looks like."

I mean when I say "speaking as police" I mean I am literally a police officer and my post is what I would probably tell you if you called. I'd consult a magistrate but it could be called a civil matter depending on what type of exchange took place (trade vs cash).

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

What is this UR zombies deck looking like?

I'm running:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
6 Island
7 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

SB: 3 Dispel
SB: 1 Fiery Temper
SB: 2 Nahiri's Wrath
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Release the Gremlins
SB: 2 Wretched Gryff
SB: 1 Lightning Axe
SB: 1 Key to the City
SB: 1 Shock

(Edit: Credit to mcmagic for the list)

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 9, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I mean when I say "speaking as police" I mean I am literally a police officer and my post is what I would probably tell you if you called. I'd consult a magistrate but it could be called a civil matter depending on what type of exchange took place (trade vs cash).

I got that, I'm just saying false pretenses is a common law crime that exists everywhere (and generally speaking, statutorily as well) and its not really up in the air whether knowingly selling counterfeit goods is criminal. Whether someone would ever actually get successfully charged for it is a different matter.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 9, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

I got that, I'm just saying false pretenses is a common law crime that exists everywhere (and generally speaking, statutorily as well) and its not really up in the air whether knowingly selling counterfeit goods is criminal. Whether someone would ever actually get successfully charged for it is a different matter.

Right, in NC it's called something a little different and is actually a felony. Proving intent is difficult, particularly if they aren't actually producing the fakes, and if you just trade cards for fakes that's even more difficult. It's just one of those things that are extremely difficult to get into court, and most of the time it's probably not worth it. You'd be better off shaming the person on Facebook and having their info spread around to all shops nearby so they can be banned.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Right, in NC it's called something a little different and is actually a felony. Proving intent is difficult, particularly if they aren't actually producing the fakes, and if you just trade cards for fakes that's even more difficult. It's just one of those things that are extremely difficult to get into court, and most of the time it's probably not worth it. You'd be better off shaming the person on Facebook and having their info spread around to all shops nearby so they can be banned.

Even civilly speaking the number of cards involved to get it out of small claims would likely be tremendous. If you actually had that much of a loss in a single transaction you're probably talking about some kind of criminal enterprise. In which case you're probably talking about getting the Feds involved in a mail fraud scheme.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There's a set of fake duals that has been circulating locally for at least 5 years now that gets inadvertently traded around even though no store will buy them, because they are literally the same fake cards. It's hilarious. They're the mintiest unlimited cards I have ever seen, so they're pretty distinguishable.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 10, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

I'm a little surprised it makes sense for CFB, or any organizer really, to host all GPs worldwide. They're going to have to heavily rely on local collaborations in places they have no presence, I'd imagine.

I'm curious just how lucrative the GP business is, and whether monopolizing it is a sign of growth or just a way of making things easier for Wotc.

I was going to say I have no idea how this is going to affect APAC GPs. Which are the only ones I can go to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

In case anyone thought fulminator couldn't get any higher it appears saffron olive is doing seance in modern with 4 maindeck this week. The saffron olive effect is real.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe that guy who bought out all the seances was actually on to something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Good thing they're reprinting seance! See? WoTC does care!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Boo, not Amonkhet cards

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lovisa has a big axe.

Rinkles posted:

Boo, not Amonkhet cards

Jhoira (and Suspend) comes back for Amonkhet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
really hate lovisa has just human as her typeline

like i get that it's a callback to ice age design but ice age had really bad design

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That Jhoira art makes me want to build Jhoira EDH.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Lovisa has a big axe.

I wish. There is alot of design space in it. If they can bring back Madness they can find a way to do that too.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Gonna wasteland strangler dudes and process their suspended spells.

:getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I would sell my car to buy cases.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Remember folks, duel deck printing isn't standard legal unless the cards appear in the standard set - see Geist of St Traft as a recent example

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I would sell my car to buy cases.

You entitled fool! Magic is only for people who are successful enough to own their own cars!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

You entitled fool! Magic is only for people who are successful enough to own their own cars!

Can't wait till my car is paid off so I can play magic again :sigh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

Can't wait till my car is paid off so I can play magic again :sigh:

Me too. At least you don't have to own your house. I'll never actually get my mortgage paid off. Or at least not until I manage to pay off my student loans (also never probably.)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey do you work in the Greensboro area? I work in the courthouse there, and might know you actually. (feel free to pm)

Also if you are in the area Lucky is reopening Lucky's which I am ecstatic about. I liked the previous owner, but Lucky knows how to actually keep a Magic Card shop in the black and be a good place for the players. The previous owner seemed to do the same, but ran into some issues at the end.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 10, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I have played around with it at FNM quite a bit.

These creatures are good.

Hangarback Walker
Walking Ballista
Arcbound Worker
Winding Constrictor
Scavenging Ooze
Narnam Renegade

These are medium in the deck.

Arcbound Ravager
Dark Confidant
Rishkar, Peema Renegade

And these are just usually awful.

Experiment One
Simic Initiate

If you are going to play this deck, first you have to realize that its going to be expensive for what amounts a very casual deck. If you have the expensive cards , go for it.

So far I think the abzan lists are just better. Here is a list I played last week that was super fun.

Deck: Abzan Counters

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Fatal Push
4 Hardened Scales
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1 Oath of Liliana

//Creatures
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Narnam Renegade
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Fatal Push
3 Fulminator Mage
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Surgical Extraction
4 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

Thanks, this looks like a pretty sweet deck. I'm buying into modern without any staples on hand already, so I'll probably head down to the old LGS when my bonus comes in and start picking up pieces. I'll probably wait a month or so for the fetches and anything else from modern masters, though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I wish. There is alot of design space in it. If they can bring back Madness they can find a way to do that too.

"Curse" cards that are suspended spells that remove counters when players violate the curse, kinda like Nihilith.

Haunt also seems like a cool mechanic to riff on that theme.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Haunt definitely is never coming back.

Suspend mayyyyybe.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Sorry for the double post but can anyone get me the wizards customer service email? Trying to sort out the Wizards Account thing and I think I'm good but want to make sure. My DCI account is from 14 years ago so when I try to make a new one it doesn't recognize the activation code. And if I try to recover my account (if I have one) it doesn't recognize any of my current email addresses. On top of it all you can only email the support if you have a wizards account which makes so much sense in infinite wotc wisdom. Tried googling it but no luck.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

wizards customer service is just as inept as you'd think, I guess you can try @Wizards_Help on Twitter, or call (800) 324-6496 from 9-5 Pacific time

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 10, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

I have played around with it at FNM quite a bit.

snip

This looks dope, I'm stealing it. How do you feel about a Llanowar Reborn or two? Turn 2 Hangarback/Ballista for 2 seems pretty good

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheTofuShop posted:

wizards customer service is just as inept as you'd think, I guess you can try @Wizards_Help on Twitter, or call (800) 324-6496 from 9-5 Pacific time

I saw those options but would prefer email since it seems like the fastest option versus saying everything over the phone and their ominous warning that phone help can be more limited due to privacy issues.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

I saw those options but would prefer email since it seems like the fastest option versus saying everything over the phone and their ominous warning that phone help can be more limited due to privacy issues.

IIRC the email it gives you isn't an address, it's a form with fields you fill out.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheTofuShop posted:

IIRC the email it gives you isn't an address, it's a form with fields you fill out.

Ah yea that makes sense. Suppose I'm calling!

Any predictions on the price of reprinted fetches?

e: specifically for buying 2 or 3 tarns, preferably the zendikar ones

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 10, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

For what it's worth I called wotc customer service a few years back to combine DCI numbers and didn't have any trouble.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mehall posted:

Wasn't London SCG or am I thinking of the wrong year?

DoctorOozy posted:

I though London was SCG I remember because of the awesome listing website that ment I didn't have to scrum down with unwashed nerds every round.

Wasn't the last uk CFB the last Liverpool sealed? The last Manchester one was those mindgames dudes I think.

London 2015 was SCG and it was great. London 2016 was CFB and it wasn't.

Liverpool under CFB was also great, but was a joint venture with Cascade and it's become readily apparent that Cascade were most of the good at that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Madmarker posted:

Hey do you work in the Greensboro area? I work in the courthouse there, and might know you actually. (feel free to pm)

Also if you are in the area Lucky is reopening Lucky's which I am ecstatic about. I liked the previous owner, but Lucky knows how to actually keep a Magic Card shop in the black and be a good place for the players. The previous owner seemed to do the same, but ran into some issues at the end.

Nah I used to work in Lexington and moved to the Asheville area a few years ago. My wife used to work in the courthouse in Davidson County, now she's at Buncombe. You going to the Charlotte open in June?

That's cool about Lucky's, saw that on Facebook. Used to go there when I was a part of the FGC for monthlies years ago, didn't even know they had closed.

• Locked thread