Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

couldcareless posted:

Teflon is for lazy people that can't maintain a properly seasoned cast iron.

Ah good I love a nice cast iron derail

PYF ways to season cast iron (everyone is wrong but me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The best way to season cast iron is to dip it in enamel hth

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Lazy plebs need to just drink your eggs.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got a set of revere ware pots and pans that were my dad's in college and they are still going strong like 40 years later. The only reason I kind of want to replace them is that they're a little warped and don't work too great on glass cook tops nowadays.

I checked out modern revere ware but it's like tinfoil thickness compared to my stuff. Very disappointing.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Don't even get me started on thickness disappointment.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I burnt a teflon pot once, I was boiling some water and promptly forgot about it until the house was full of thick toxic smoke. Had to leave all the windows open for at least a week to get rid of the smell.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Frankston posted:

I burnt a teflon pot once, I was boiling some water and promptly forgot about it until the house was full of thick toxic smoke. Had to leave all the windows open for at least a week to get rid of the smell.

That's where they keep most of the birds. :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

m.hache posted:

Are Leatherman multitools still the go to for multitools? Or is there a fancier version out there.

SOG makes awesome stuff. The power-assisted pliers and easy opening stuff aren't gimmicks, they're great.

I've got this one and it's amazing.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I need to buy some more filters for our AC. I used to buy the filtrete basic and swap them once a month, but I'm starting to see reports of the quality of those filters turning to poo poo. I'm still partially inclined to continue using them until I see issues myself, but I'm open to any recommendations anyone else might have. I'd like to keep it around $5 or less per filter.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

couldcareless posted:

I need to buy some more filters for our AC. I used to buy the filtrete basic and swap them once a month, but I'm starting to see reports of the quality of those filters turning to poo poo. I'm still partially inclined to continue using them until I see issues myself, but I'm open to any recommendations anyone else might have. I'd like to keep it around $5 or less per filter.

Not quite what you're looking for but a couple years ago I switched to the metal, reusable filters and have no complaints. Every month or two I pull them out, wipe them down, run them under the hose, let them dry a few hours, and stick them back in. Think they cost $40-50 each; if you're replacing $5 filters monthly, you'll be saving money in less than a year.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Looking for a recommendation on brand / where to buy for a peshtemal. I haven't tried one before and there seem to be a lot of vendors, but it's harder to tell which might be better in terms of construction, cotton and dye quality, etc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Are there any decent generic tv stands? I mean the type that actually bolt onto the tv, not just a thing you set the tv on. I upgraded tvs recently and now have a 65" Samsung that I've lost the OEM stand for. I had it mounted on the wall in our living room, but the new TV has that mount occupied, and the place I want to put the old one isn't really conducive to a wall mount at all.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Inspector 34 posted:

Are there any decent generic tv stands? I mean the type that actually bolt onto the tv, not just a thing you set the tv on. I upgraded tvs recently and now have a 65" Samsung that I've lost the OEM stand for. I had it mounted on the wall in our living room, but the new TV has that mount occupied, and the place I want to put the old one isn't really conducive to a wall mount at all.

Look for "VESA TV stand". VESA mounts are what use the 4 holes on the back of the TV. After a quick google search, it looks like Walmart sells one for $35.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

I had the exact same problem: got a new TV and lost the old stand. I got this one for my 60" for $20 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2miAAjy

It's plenty stable for me, but I think you should get one with a heavier base if it might take hard bumps (kids, pets, etc).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks guys I'll check those out. I like that Wali mount, but not sure I like raising the tv up 6". Will have to decide if that'll work in the new spot for the tv. The oem mount had it sit pretty close to flat on the tv stand if I remember correctly, or maybe just a couple inches gap at most.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
It doesn't necessarily have to be raised 6". That's just the height of where the bottom-most hole is. You can raise/lower the TV based on which screw holes you use. This guy's review has a pic similar to how high I have mine: http://amzn.to/2mUAnoa In fact, I got that one since it was the most customizable (and inexpensive).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh ok that makes sense. I think when I first saw the angled piece I thought they protruded forward, so the TV would have to be above them. But that doesn't make any sense at all.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Thanks for the pan and knife suggestions, guys and gals! There is a restaurant supply store in town, and I hadn't even thought of stopping in there, so that's definitely first on the to-do list.

signalnoise posted:

I see no reason to buy a nonstick saucepan though.

When my SO scorches the gently caress out of something I don't want to have to spend the evening wailing on it to get it clean. We had a nice T-Fal saucepan that was a breeze to clean up even if you left a can of sweetened condensed milk on HIGH in the thing for three hours, but someone scraped the drat teflon off the bottom :argh:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the best pitcher water filter?
I have to have extremely clean water for my pets and I've heard that Brita may not be the best bet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thanks for the pan and knife suggestions, guys and gals! There is a restaurant supply store in town, and I hadn't even thought of stopping in there, so that's definitely first on the to-do list.

When my SO scorches the gently caress out of something I don't want to have to spend the evening wailing on it to get it clean. We had a nice T-Fal saucepan that was a breeze to clean up even if you left a can of sweetened condensed milk on HIGH in the thing for three hours, but someone scraped the drat teflon off the bottom :argh:

Honestly the best solution to that is 1) don't gently caress up but in case 1 doesn't work, 2) have good saucepans with super smooth surfaces. High quality pans distribute heat better to prevent scorching, and they SHOULD be cladded with stainless steel exteriors that you keep baby butt smooth with good care. Saucepans are worth investing in and keeping in good shape. A neat trick is every once in a while just polish the gently caress out of it with salt. Your next cooking experience might as well be non-stick. Another neat trick is to get a wire scouring head off an angle grinder or something and hook it up to a power drill. gently caress cleaning burnt cheese sauce by hand.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The answer to all this: Circulon Infinite.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I have to have extremely clean water for my pets and I've heard that Brita may not be the best bet.

Personally I found that, between Brita and Pur, Pur had an overall better taste. They also claim to remove more stuff.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have suggestions about full body massage chairs? Or a good site for reviews? Or just any suggestions on things to look out for.

I'm refering to chairs such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Shiatsu-Brown-Massage-Recliner/dp/B00B7FNJA0

All I can find is Amazon reviews and marketing sites pretending to be review sites when I go hunting for information.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK5A68I/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH37237

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I really like this bag here. I'm currently using a Timbuk2 messenger bag and it's a little to big for the stuff that I want to carry. Most of the small stuff get front / side loaded so the middle sort of collapses. Any suggestions before I pull the trigger on this one?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I really like this bag here. I'm currently using a Timbuk2 messenger bag and it's a little to big for the stuff that I want to carry. Most of the small stuff get front / side loaded so the middle sort of collapses. Any suggestions before I pull the trigger on this one?

Not unless you have a higher budget. I have that bag in the large size and it's fantastic, but if you have a tablet, the Ristretto is better. Even better than that is the SFBags Field Muzetto, but that's like 180 dollars.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I have a water cooler like you see in offices and warehouses and it's one of my most prized possessions.

~$7 per 5 gallon distilled water jug delivered to my door. My cooler does hot, cold, and room temp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm looking for a really good electric shaver. Something that comes as close as possible to giving me a shave like a traditional razor.

I've read that foil shavers are supposed to be better overall and give closer shaves than rotary ones, so I suppose I'd prefer a foil shaver. I'm also looking for something that works for both wet and dry shaving; if I can use it in the shower, even better. A cleaning station would be great too.

Last time I checked out the product reviews for electric shavers, Braun made the best ones, but this was years ago so I don't know if this is still true.

I don't really care about price. I'm just looking at options right now. If I end up needing to drop $330 or whatever for a Braun Series 9 then I can worry about that later.

What do you guys recommend?

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Mar 12, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What do you mean by "a shave like a traditional razor"? If you mean "smooth as hell" then I got nothing for you. If you mean "use every 2 days to keep your face clean-looking" then I highly recommend you try a Norelco Oneblade before anything else. I use it, it's only 35 bucks on amazon. Replacement heads are 12 bucks each, but you can use them for like 3-4 months. It's incredibly easy to use, hard to hurt yourself with, requires no prep, can be used in the shower, and again, is only 35 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D328DH8?psc=1

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

I have a water cooler like you see in offices and warehouses and it's one of my most prized possessions.

~$7 per 5 gallon distilled water jug delivered to my door. My cooler does hot, cold, and room temp.

Do you have it dressed up in anyway, or does it just sit there? I'm dying to get one but my SO seems to think it will be unconscionably ugly. I think the utility of it would be so good that I would be willing to suffer a lot of ugliness, but she does not feel that way.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

bongwizzard posted:

I think the utility of it would be so good that I would be willing to suffer a lot of ugliness

Try not to say that too often around your girlfriend

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
It's nothing some googly eyes wouldn't fix.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snorkzilla posted:

It's nothing some googly eyes wouldn't fix.

Do those go over her eyes or her nipples?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Dealer's choice. You've really never felt empowered until you've played googly eyes God.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

signalnoise posted:

What do you mean by "a shave like a traditional razor"? If you mean "smooth as hell" then I got nothing for you. If you mean "use every 2 days to keep your face clean-looking" then I highly recommend you try a Norelco Oneblade before anything else. I use it, it's only 35 bucks on amazon. Replacement heads are 12 bucks each, but you can use them for like 3-4 months. It's incredibly easy to use, hard to hurt yourself with, requires no prep, can be used in the shower, and again, is only 35 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D328DH8?psc=1

I did mean smooth as hell, which is why I was looking at foil shavers since they're supposed to be better at that than rotary shavers. I already have a trimmer like what you're describing, but it doesn't shave very close and the foil is a pain to work with.

For the record, I have a Norelco rotary shaver with the lotion dispenser right now, and I like it, but it leaves contact dermatitis rashes all over my neck whenever I use it (I'm hesitant to use aftershave because it always drips off whenever I sweat), and it's gotten to where I can't find the lotion cartridges anywhere except Amazon anymore. I'm hoping a foil shaver will at least help with the rashes, but even if it won't, a slightly better shave seems like it might be worth it.

EDIT: And yes, I know that no electric shaver will ever shave as close as a razor.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Mar 12, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Have you ever tried Magic Shave?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pick posted:

Have you ever tried Magic Shave?

I don't know what that is.

Where'd your Mr. Dink avatar go? I loved that one. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a depilatory. It's often with the supplies for black people since for some reason only black people seem to know about it and use it, but it's cheap, works wonders, and lasts a long time, and doesn't result in cuts or irritation like normal shaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPj3zhuloU

I lost Mr. Dink by mentioning a terrible Canadian show with "anime bats" in my bats-bats thread, and now I have an anime bat.

Pick has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Mar 12, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hm... I think I'd rather try my luck with a foil shaver, but thanks for the tip.

Does anyone have any links to reputable product reviews for electric shavers that I can look at? Again, the last time I did research on these things was in like 2009, so some more recent reviews would probably help me out a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hm... I think I'd rather try my luck with a foil shaver, but thanks for the tip.

Does anyone have any links to reputable product reviews for electric shavers that I can look at? Again, the last time I did research on these things was in like 2009, so some more recent reviews would probably help me out a lot.

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-electric-razor/