Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The rampant use of "Hence why" and abuse of "as far as" in this country makes my blood boil. Along with "should of", "egg-cetera", "for all intensive purposes" and that other good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The rampant use of "Hence why" and abuse of "as far as" in this country makes my blood boil. Along with "should of", "egg-cetera", "for all intensive purposes" and that other good poo poo.

https://twitter.com/asshatlogic/status/839385736919072769

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just realized that Tom Cotton looks like a mix between Tom Green and Justin Long.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

it would behoove you

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Reverand maynard posted:

it would behoove you

:shepicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Genocide Tendency posted:

Defense attorney's pants catch fire during arson trial.

edit: Figured this managed to one up Sean Spicer being a furry.

Wouldn't throwing water on those batteries make things immediately and impressively worse?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nude-photo-marine-corps-pentagon-scandal-2017-3

Goddamn, gently caress all of these people. This is legit sexual predator poo poo.

From the original article:

quote:

The photo sharing began less than a month after the first Marine infantry unit was assigned women Jan. 5. It underscores ongoing problems of sexual harassment within military ranks and could hurt recruitment of women. Officials within the Defense Department confirmed it also puts service members at risk for blackmail and jeopardizes national security.

:lol: good job debba dawgs, hooah.

This poo poo is never going away BTW

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Wouldn't throwing water on those batteries make things immediately and impressively worse?

Water is good for things that are burning and hot. I mean they're already ruined.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: good job debba dawgs, hooah.

This poo poo is never going away BTW

However, thanks to amendments to UCMJ in the past few years, article 120C includes sharing of photos wearing underwear or less that you don't have consent to share or which were taken when the person had a reasonable expectation of privacy. DOD instructions mandate that commanders make an effort to ensure a servicemember's state of residence is aware if they are punished under UCMJ or via letter of reprimand. More and more states are adding such offenses to their "you are a sex criminal" lists.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There are certain situations where you really don't want to dump water though and I'm pretty sure light metals are one of those

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Water is good for things that are burning and hot. I mean they're already ruined.

Not lithium batteries, generally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMfe20I_IE

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If its already failing catastrophically then what else are you going to do? In the absence of that water that failing battery would have likely done significantly more damage to that beaker/floor/ whatever. Its an electrical fire where you can't remove the ignition source or the fuel. Your only hope is to keep it contained until the fuel runs out afaik.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I like the part where the hand with no gloves or protective gear reaches in like "uh oh" when poo poo gets real, then recoils as he thinks better of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

If its already failing catastrophically then what else are you going to do? In the absence of that water that failing battery would have likely done significantly more damage to that beaker/floor/ whatever. Its an electrical fire where you can't remove the ignition source or the fuel. Your only hope is to keep it contained until the fuel runs out afaik.

2 Li + 2 H2O → 2 LiOH + H2

That hydrogen gas is a bit of a problem.

(yes I know lithium battery chemistry is more complicated but thats still hydrogen gas thats burning)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The thing is, with a lithium fire like you see in these ecig batteries, water is fuel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yup.

https://youtu.be/jq-qngvz9N0

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Okay and the alternative is seemingly a much more rapid explosion minus a hydogen gas buildup that won't really be a serious concern as long as it doesn't reach above an 8% (iirc) atmospheric concentration.

FAA says using a water fire extinguisher is a good idea for a lithium battery fire on a plane. Are there better alternatives? Yes. But when your pants are smoking you could do alot worse than throwing it in water. I get what you are saying but what was the preferable alternative? Seems like getting the battery out of the courthouse would be the ideal scenario, perhaps in some type of metal container. Beyond that though getting it to a water source in a bathroom doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 10, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If videos showing water catching on fire don't convince you that it's a bad idea to use water, I honestly have no idea what will.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

If videos showing water catching on fire don't convince you that it's a bad idea to use water, I honestly have no idea what will.

You highlighting a more effective and expedient means of fighting that particular class of fire given the circumstances. Failing LiOH batteries are dangerous no matter what you do, and water is certainly not the worst fire fighting agent you could introduce to the situation.

Maybe they should have flooded the courthouse with halon?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Why on earth would planes have water and not dry powder? I mean Co2 in an enclosed space is not ideal but dry powder is an irritant at worst.

Seriously though dude your best bet in this case is removing oxygen or any other fuels if you don't have nonwater extinguishers available.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You highlighting a more effective and expedient means of fighting that particular class of fire given the circumstances. Failing LiOH batteries are dangerous no matter what you do, and water is certainly not the worst fire fighting agent you could introduce to the situation.

What the gently caress dude now you're just being contrary for the sake of it. Ok so what is the worst agent then?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Planes seriously use water extinguishers? I would have thought they'd use powder or foam given all of the electronic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Maybe they should have flooded the courthouse with halon?

Take off the loving pants. Finish the statement in your JUICY boxers and drop your pen like a mic.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Take off the loving pants. Finish the statement in your JUICY boxers and drop your pen like a mic.

Ah yes, the do nothing school of fire fighting. Surely a more effective approach. I'm not even being contrarian; there are multiple pages that suggest fighting LiOH fires with water due to the limited amount of lithium that will react with them, the capacity for water to dissipate heat and extinguish flame, and the potential for runaway reactions to lead to explosions. Removing oxygen from a courthouse environment is impractical, dangerous, and won't necessarily stop the exothermic reaction before it damages the structure of the building, providing a potential new source of oxygen to facilitate ignition. If the dude didn't see a C02 extinguisher on his way to the bathroom, and getting the battery out of the building wasn't an immediate or apparent option, then he did the right thing.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Two Finger posted:

What the gently caress dude now you're just being contrary for the sake of it. Ok so what is the worst agent then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Ah yes, the do nothing school of fire fighting. Surely a more effective approach. I'm not even being contrarian; there are multiple pages that suggest fighting LiOH fires with water due to the limited amount of lithium that will react with them, the capacity for water to dissipate heat and extinguish flame, and the potential for runaway reactions to lead to explosions. Removing oxygen from a courthouse environment is impractical, dangerous, and won't necessarily stop the exothermic reaction before it damages the structure of the building, providing a potential new source of oxygen to facilitate ignition. If the dude didn't see a C02 extinguisher on his way to the bathroom, and getting the battery out of the building wasn't an immediate or apparent option, then he did the right thing.

Ah gently caress this I'm not starting a bullshit derail

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Current Events 3/17: battery fires and how to fight them

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Godholio posted:

From the FAA:

Fighting a Fire Involving Lithium Batteries
The technique for fighting a fire involving lithium batteries is the same, regardless if the battery is a disposable or rechargeable lithium battery or battery pack.
• Relocate passengers away from the device.
• Utilize a Halon, Halon replacement, or water fire extinguisher to prevent the spread of The fire to adjacent battery cells and materials.
• Pour water, or other non-alcoholic liquid, from any available source over the cells Immediately after knockdown or extinguishment of the fire.

Only water or other non-alcoholic liquid can provide sufficient cooling to prevent re-ignition and/or propagation of the fire to adjacent batteries. Water, though it may react with the tiny amount of lithium metal found in a disposable battery, is most effective at cooling remaining cells, stopping thermal runaway and preventing additional flare-ups. Significant cooling is needed to prevent the spread of fire to additional cells in a battery pack.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What the gently caress is this airsoft-tier wannabe firefighter detail

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/839974583381950467

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Zeris posted:

this airsoft-tier wannabe firefighter detail

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whoa I gave an appropriate first response before everyone started poppin' off about poo poo they obviously don't know about. Water is good for putting out fires. I dunno why that's so difficult for some people, and kiwis, to comprehend.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Oh thank god.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

You can put out a consumer size lithium battery fire with a large handheld water fire extinguisher. You can put out a laptop with a small water fire extinguisher.

If you know what you're doing you can extinguish flaming pools of gasoline, contents fires, and significantly knock down structure fire in a room.

Now enough with the derail.

Edit: although I do recommend the blog Sand Won't Save You This Time

Edit 2: my source on using water to put out laptop lithium battery fires was a training course where that's the training the fire department actually gave, and we watched a video of putting out a laptop battery fire with a water extinguisher.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 10, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

South Korea's president has been impeached.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

shyduck posted:

https://nytimes.com/2017/03/09/world/asia/park-geun-hye-impeached-south-korea.amp.html

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

shyduck posted:

Bet her shaman didn't see THAT coming

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Two Finger posted:

ClF₃

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 10, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The best quote

quote:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bolow posted:

The best quote

this whole thread owns like gently caress

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread