Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I'm getting tired of hearing the caveat "But remember, pre-season testing times are notoriously unreliable!".

Mmmmm.

Are they?

Are they really?

Probably not, but then we already know which 3 teams will be at the sharp end, so it's hardly surprising. The amount of shameless sandbagging means we just don't see times representative of those we'll see at the Spanish GP. I really would love to see a lap at 10 10ths, but alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lap times ARE unreliable. Ferrari are setting fast laps while Vettel backs off down the straight. You can glean some information from a combination of lap times, stint lengths, total laps run, and reports from trackside, but just looking at the raw times alone is pointless.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Theophany posted:

Speaking of hot garbage, has there been any developments on a potential Alfa Romeo team being fielded in the wake of Manor's departure? Or is Marchionne content with having Haas as their bitchmade feeder team?

Fiat is going back and forth between "lets see what someone will buy Alfa for" and "lets see if we can bring Alfa back!".

They just released a 4 door coupe that wasn't a flaming pile of garbage, so there's hope for Alfa yet. Not sure if that means Alfa is worth something again, or if it means Fiat might take Alfa seriously.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Schlesische posted:

Fiat is going back and forth between "lets see what someone will buy Alfa for" and "lets see if we can bring Alfa back!".

They just released a 4 door coupe that wasn't a flaming pile of garbage, so there's hope for Alfa yet. Not sure if that means Alfa is worth something again, or if it means Fiat might take Alfa seriously.

The Giulia Quadrofoglio is rad as hell!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I'm getting tired of hearing the caveat "But remember, pre-season testing times are notoriously unreliable!".

Mmmmm.

Are they?

Are they really?

How many people do you reckon talked themselves out of sticking a bet on Button when he was like 60/1 and the Brawn started putting in mega lap times in preseason testing with that line of thinking? I did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I wonder if Autosport or any other outlets have been logging sector times. Would be interesting to stitch together the fastest sectors of each driver/team from the past fortnight and see what kind of pecking order can be established. Unless teams have already thought of this and decide on which sector they deliberately back off on.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Remember the time the TF108 was the fastest car in testing? Welp.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
McLaren might be on the back row in Melbourne.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Might?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if the Saubers are actually faster.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
McLaren should be given a 30 grid spot penalty just for sucking so much poo poo in testing

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

TurboDrizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSptDxIaAGk

-_- lance stroll cannot stop saying "it is what it is" about his driving this week. #generationY #canadajet #blessed

He actually doesn't seem terribly unlikable. He still looks like Lou Ferrigno Jr., but didn't seem like a complete tool there. Granted I only watched about 3 1/2 minutes of it.

Here's my BOLD PREDICTION: McLaren are the ones sandbagging this year. They're causing intentional oil and electrical problems to stay under everyone's radar. Then when we hit quali in Melbourne, we'll see the true blistering pace of the world beating Honda powerplant in the MCL32.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CratSock posted:

Here's my BOLD PREDICTION: McLaren are the ones sandbagging this year

Not really a prediction at all, that's what you do with oil leaks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda has looked absolutely awful in every series recently. I really don't care that McLaren is struggling but it's a PR nightmare for HMC.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

McLaren should be given a 30 grid spot penalty just for sucking so much poo poo in testing

I love my McLaren boys, but this needs to happen.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Khablam posted:

RBR are going to be sandbagging so it's still a Frog WDC.

I'd take that over a HAM WDC

Baron Corbyn posted:

How many people do you reckon talked themselves out of sticking a bet on Button when he was like 60/1 and the Brawn started putting in mega lap times in preseason testing with that line of thinking? I did.

that makes at least 2 of us :smith:

Human Grand Prix posted:

McLaren might be on the back row in Melbourne.

might? might? Mclaren are going to be on the back row in Melbourne whilst everyone's lining up in China two weeks later

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Honda has looked absolutely awful in every series recently. I really don't care that McLaren is struggling but it's a PR nightmare for HMC.

I've got no love for Honda, especially after having to figure out their crank bolts are reverse threaded.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Raikkonen's Ferrari has poo poo the bed. Hopefully their quick times aren't down to them squeezing the power unit too hard.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rather it break today than in Melbourne.

Please don't Ferrari this Ferrari. This season needs to be good.

Lmao McLaren is so hosed tho.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
John Surtees has died. :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

drat man, sucks.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

drat :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dude was in his 80s tho right?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Dude was in his 80s tho right?

Yeah, was still doing the odd TV appearance though and think he was turning up to the Goodwood FOS each year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RIP.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I think I'm right in saying that makes Sir Jackie the oldest living F1 champion now.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Surtees' amazing achievement of being world champion on two and four wheels is never going to be repeated. RIP to a pretty cool guy

Turns out never winning the championship was the price Sterling Moss paid for immortality

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

I think I'm right in saying that makes Sir Jackie the oldest living F1 champion now.

5 oldest WDCs
J Stewart 11 Jun 1939
M Andretti 28 Feb 1940
A Jones 2 Nov 1946
E Fittipaldi 12 Dec 1946
K Rosberg 6 Dec 1948

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

He was probably triggered when he saw the news that they renamed GP2 to F2.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
RIP a good lad.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Kind of beautiful that 49 years ago Surtees told Honda to go gently caress themselves because of their literal garbage fire car and Nando was just the other day telling Honda to go gently caress themselves for their garbage fire engine. Plus ca change...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tsaedje posted:

Turns out never winning the championship was the price Sterling Moss paid for immortality

This checks out cuz Are Bernard is still alive.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Meanwhile the most recent BBC poll was "Which team have you got most excited about in F1 testing?", Ferrari got exactly half of the votes, but no prizes for guessing who came second. Turns out I've been using the American definition of "exciting" all this time because I'm not familiar with the British one.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The drama of not knowing if the car will run or not is a form of excitement

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

John Surtees has died. :(

quote:

Well," he said, "as your attorney I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can you cover a thing like this righteously?"

"No way," I said. "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?"

"Whats that?"

"A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

"That sounds about right for this gig," he said.

"It is," I assured him. "The fucker's not much for turning, but it's pure hell on the straightaway. It'll outrun the F-111 until takeoff."

"Takeoff?" he said. "Can we handle that much torque?"

"Absolutely," I said. "I'll call New York for some cash."

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Clearly Ferrari sacrificed Surtees to become competitive.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

Clearly Ferrari sacrificed Surtees to become competitive.

If they don't win at least 4 races this season The Old Man will probably strike Marchionne dead.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

In 1964 the world cheered as John Surtees lifted the F1 Championship trophy. Little did he realise that 53 years later he would be dead.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

In 1964 the world cheered as John Surtees lifted the F1 Championship trophy. Little did he realise that 53 years later he would be dead.

Life is so fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

• Locked thread