Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

zegermans posted:

Most Americans don't realize that the poor people are coming from inside the house

how can they be poor, they don't live in the inner city :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Feminasty Slut posted:

I love 80's/90's cheesy action flicks. They're the best, even the bad ones. I recently enjoyed predator 2 for the first time in years.

The opening sequence is a gun fight between columbian drug lords whose faces are white with cocaine dust facing off against Danny Glover and his female hispanic partner with some lesser fat white cannon fodder cops. (The latina parter's gun has a lot of sweet rear end attachments) The two groups are constantly shooting at each other 20 yards apart behind their respective car barricades while Danny Glover has time to open his trunk and pick the perfect gun after considering a few that are "too small." Scenes like that just don't work anymore because everyone's been playing counterstrike for 20 years and knows how real gunfights happen.

Then everyone gets loving owned by a space monster and Gary Busey shows up. It rules.

Also bill paxton gets owned thus completing his trinity

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

zegermans posted:

Most Americans don't realize that the poor people are coming from inside the house

shut up commie, i'm not poor

i have a refrigerator in my trailer

orange sky
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Prosperity theology is how America has handled this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Broadcasting_Network

Holy poo poo, this is a thing?

Do these guys pay taxes?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

So no takers on how the Dredd movie was satirical?

Like, if it was a poo poo film ideologically but a good action flick, that's okay. That's at least half of all action flicks :shrug:

It's a good action flick. A little low budget but they did a lot with what they had and were very smart with it sets and special effects and stuff

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FactsAreUseless posted:

you really like to lump 'all of america' in with weird loud sects of evangelicalism

Gringostar posted:

new dredd's satire was in the first 1/2

the second half is just pure action
yeah dredd is definitely satire i personally am not going to write it out long form because if it isn't already obvious that 'judge, jury, and executioner supercop' that says 'the price for justice is FREEDOM' isn't at least a little tongue in cheek i don't think it's gonna be a productive conversation

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

FactsAreUseless posted:

that plus welfare queen stereotypes

im a good person and SHOULD be rich, because god, but i can't because DIRTY MINORITIES POORS ARE TAKING ALL MY MONEY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

orange sky posted:

Do these guys pay taxes?
Wait, were you the same guy who didn't know that Republicans didn't believe married rape existed? I want your life. I want to live the way you live, a single peaceful cloud, floating in a blue sky.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

poor people? they don't want heathcare. rich people though

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its a loving GATTACA bill.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

orange sky posted:

Do these guys pay taxes?

nope and one of these chucklefucks has my same first & last name and is a published author of lovely prosperity gospel bullshit

I'm glad he's dead because it makes it easier to explain that I'm not him whenever someone recognizes the name

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Looks like Pence was warned about Fylnn's foreign ties.

quote:

But Rep. Elijah Cummings, the ranking member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, sent Pence a letter on November 18 requesting more information about the potential conflicts of interest posed by Flynn's lobbying work.

Cummings sent the letter four days after both The Daily Caller and Politico reported that Flynn's consulting firm, Flynn Intel Group Inc., had been hired to lobby for Turkish interests.

"Recent news reports have revealed that Lt. Gen. Flynn was receiving classified briefings during the presidential campaign while his consulting firm, Flynn Intel Group, Inc., was being paid to lobby the U.S. Government on behalf of a foreign government's interests," Cummings wrote.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

orange sky posted:

Do these guys pay taxes?

yes-ish? they pay taxes on their multiple arms that have been deemed for-profit but a sickening amount of their poo poo has been successfully argued to be primarily religious and therefore tax-preferenced in nature.

even the tax preferenced stuff pays SOME taxes but it's an insultingly low amount compared to normal, productive businesses.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

orange sky posted:

Do these guys pay taxes?

republicans are....................................................??????????????bad??????????????

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The demonization of poor people through prosperity gospel is so pervasive in American society that many working class individuals refuse to support programs that benefit them out of shame of admitting that they aren't wealthy (aka blessed by God)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

you really like to lump 'all of america' in with weird loud sects of evangelicalism
Even if you get rid of the specifics of "give money to the church and be repaid" etc., most Americans still believe that a. the world is fundamentally just b. the wealthy deserve that wealth because of that justice and c. that they too will one day be rewarded the same way. The fundamental principles are the same.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gringostar posted:

running man owns

I just saw running man for the first time since I was a kid and man was it bad.. like b movie level bad.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

if the jesus shoe fits

Serf
May 5, 2011

oliwan posted:

See also: Verhoeven's other masterpiece, Starship Troopers.

probably one of the best satires ever, imo

that movie just mercilessly skewers the source material. it was nice to see heinlein's full-throated endorsement of fascism get destroyed by an old dutch dude

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

lol so Pence knew.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

So no takers on how the Dredd movie was satirical?

Like, if it was a poo poo film ideologically but a good action flick, that's okay. That's at least half of all action flicks :shrug:

its satire so black that it never breaks character. youre sposed to work out on your own that dredd is a monster from the way he acts - he frequently does stuff that's needlessly cruel, like when he shoots that thing in the guy's mouth or when he drugs up whats her name before he throws her off the thing. theres a reason he never shows his face - because hes a slasher villain monster man.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

poor is bad

i am good

therefore i am not poor, and in fact i will be rich next month

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Even if you get rid of the specifics of "give money to the church and be repaid" etc., most Americans still believe that a. the world is fundamentally just b. the wealthy deserve that wealth because of that justice and c. that they too will one day be rewarded the same way. The fundamental principles are the same.

yeah they think "the world is naturally just" instead of "people must make the world just"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The demonization of poor people through prosperity gospel is so pervasive in American society that many working class individuals refuse to support programs that benefit them out of shame of admitting that they aren't wealthy (aka blessed by God)
It doesn't even have to be a religious thing. America believes that if you are decent and hard-working, you will be successful. If you are successful, you were decent and hard-working. If you're not, you weren't. Since I am decent and hard-working, I must be successful. So if a "poor" person lives in the same neighborhood as me, owns a similar car, has the same cell phone, etc., one of two things is happening: 1. I am poor. This is not possible. or 2. They are not poor, but are gaming the system.

It's a matter of American values, not just religion.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, were you the same guy who didn't know that Republicans didn't believe married rape existed? I want your life. I want to live the way you live, a single peaceful cloud, floating in a blue sky.

Well I knew Brazil had this kind of stuff but I had no idea there was such an enterprise in the US as well, I thought it was all kind of regular same old churchgoing.

This reinforces my idea that the best way to launder money is through churches, in these kinds of organizations a couple million dollars that you want to launder is just a blip

gently caress, Walter White, you're dumb af, a car wash?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

If we can just get rid of the minorities then I can become financially secure

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Feminasty Slut posted:

You guys have good taste in movies. :3:

come hang out for nite crew movie tonight and see if you still feel that way :q:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah dredd is definitely satire i personally am not going to write it out long form because if it isn't already obvious that 'judge, jury, and executioner supercop' that says 'the price for justice is FREEDOM' isn't at least a little tongue in cheek i don't think it's gonna be a productive conversation

America elected Donald Trump president. He wants to declare war on Chicago. Those aren't obviously satirical phrases in 2017

nopants
May 29, 2004

so the deep state is code for obama appointees. good2no

orange sky
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It doesn't even have to be a religious thing. America believes that if you are decent and hard-working, you will be successful. If you are successful, you were decent and hard-working. If you're not, you weren't. Since I am decent and hard-working, I must be successful. So if a "poor" person lives in the same neighborhood as me, owns a similar car, has the same cell phone, etc., one of two things is happening: 1. I am poor. This is not possible. or 2. They are not poor, but are gaming the system.

It's a matter of American values, not just religion.

All evidence points to the fact that people who are not decent are the ones who are successful though ?????

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Coolguye posted:

he doesn't even judge them half the time but just strait up murders them after luring them in (white phosphorus scene)

also the satire of how street judges that are suppose to be avatars of law and justice can be easily purchased by mama

the minigun scene though is one of the best action scenes ever filmed though so all is forgiven

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rah! posted:

poor is bad

i am good

therefore i am not poor, and in fact i will be rich next month

Can I stay in your condo for 4 days

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Re: Dems are in complete disarray and never have been in as bad a shape as now, some interesting comparisons to 2005:

https://twitter.com/xenocryptsite/status/840078819222413314

https://twitter.com/xenocryptsite/status/840239521656655874

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

orange sky posted:

This reinforces my idea that the best way to launder money is through churches, in these kinds of organizations a couple million dollars that you want to launder is just a blip
IDK that there's evidence this kind of thing happens. Megachurches are still a minority of American churches, and most church donations go to keeping the church up and running various programs. Obviously there's issues with church-based charity, but it's not a cover for crime.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jesus is coming, and he looks pissed

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

It's a good action flick. A little low budget but they did a lot with what they had and were very smart with it sets and special effects and stuff

Even not really paying attention, the action scenes were drat impressive. I remember something about the badguys having a minigun emplacement or something at one point and it was siiiiiick.

I don't really like the resort to "satire" as a defense of a movie with bad politics, when you can just be like "this movie has poo poo politics but good action." Like from what I remember, the politics were hilariously lovely, which is almost satire but not actually the same thing (which is why I thought I might have just missed the satirical cues).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nopants posted:

so the deep state is code for obama appointees. good2no

They're gone tho? Except for the people covering the jobs Trump is too lazy to replace. He's just talking about career government folk, i.e. people who actually know what they're talking about. GOT TO GO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

America elected Donald Trump president. He wants to declare war on Chicago. Those aren't obviously satirical phrases in 2017

They are very funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new dredd movie is only a satire if you know the source material. i think the actual movie misses the point of the comics, but not in such a way that actively runs counter to the message but more doesn't even acknowledge the themes of fascism, police brutality and capitalist excess

• Locked thread