Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my office is a big fan of the lastpass feature where you enter a new password and then it shows up for everyone but you for 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

fins posted:

Also realised that some user's names that are redacted could be recovered from the copyright strings on this page:
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_15728683.html

they redacted all person names not just the ones known to be cia: they chose false positives over false negatives. the three guys you can deanonymize from that page (they're mark adler, william lefebvre and jouni malinen btw) are only referenced there, and their user ids are sequential, suggesting they're a false positive and unrelated to cia (or at least, no relation can be proved from the leak alone)

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

El Mero Mero posted:

What do people think of dashlane? Or is 100% of the game split between KeepAss, 1pass, and LastPass these days?

this was the first one i ever used and i changed to lastpass because dashlane is clumsy

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

my typical experience with lastpass is that i try to log in, get an error about the browser plugin being out of date, try to update the browser plugin and have the installation fail, and then i just bother a coworker to give me the password instead

the solution to that is to uninstall the plugin

of course to download secret files you'll need to use the desktop client which is a whole nother dumpster fire

experience there is usually launch app, log in, the app crashes silently, launch again, vault unlocks without prompting :stare:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
keep rear end x :wink:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rooney McNibnug posted:

keep rear end x :wink:

this ain't a password manager xxx

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at work we use bitium and it's super weird because you go to a web portal and all the sites you want to use are "apps" and you click one and it does some browser magic and logs you in and redirects automatically and this just seems hella-terrible

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

sounds more like...shitium

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

yeah..... i use my BRAIN because i'm in mensa and above that

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rufus Ping posted:

bit of a joke that 1p for android still doesnt support the new vault format unless you use it in conjunction with either dropbox or bonjour

is the new vault format something I have to opt into? I signed up for 1password after all these things like v6 came into existence and i haven't noticed any issues, and i dont have a dropbox account.

1password owns in a big, big way btw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

is 1password v6 on windows still garbage?

nvm. discussion has moved on. Need to read through thread before replying.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 10, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im still using password safe with a local DB on an encrypted volume because it works for me. it would probably be convenient having browser integration or whatever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://blog.codinghorror.com/password-rules-are-bullshit/

from the comments

quote:

Password managers are EVIL. The one time I tried to use one, it got hacked. Don't like being dependent on third party service. Of course managing unique strong password for every site is beyond human capabilities. I found my own solution: writing a password manager for myself. It's less than 20 lines of code and never stores anything - it just does mathematical calculations on list of words, then generates unique 30+ chars password. Brute forcing such password is next to impossible.
Of course nobody is going to hack you personally today (unless you're some big shot). It's the servers that got hacked - even the strongest of strongest pass could not save you if some service that stores your credit card info gets compromised. Some day passwords will become obsolete.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

is the new vault format something I have to opt into? I signed up for 1password after all these things like v6 came into existence and i haven't noticed any issues, and i dont have a dropbox account.

1password owns in a big, big way btw

i believe v6 uses the new format (opvault) by default

if you sync with a pc/mac using dropbox or wifi sync it's fine

the problem is if you use some other, filesystem-based syncing method (like syncthing or btsync or rsync or whatever). android 1p can't open opvault directly from disk. you need to use the old format (.agilekeychain)

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67253/when-is-the-local-sync-for-opvault-coming

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

code signing is cool and good and its good for people to think about it even if its for silly poo poo like a text editor.

it is but you also get things like http://colin.keigher.ca/2014/12/the-joke-behind-signed-sony-malware.html

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

kaspersky was so mad for that

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The hacker known as yosposbithc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

amazing

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

it me

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

they got completely bent out of shape for no reason, it was quite something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rufus Ping posted:

they got completely bent out of shape for no reason, it was quite something

kaspersky is just a greythread regular

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

cinci zoo sniper posted:

kaspersky is just a greythread regular
I found his account

lazorexplosion posted:

Password chat: make a random alphanumeric string up, like IXfQi5. Every password you make will have this in it, and you'll remember it easily because you use it all the time. Then, to make each password unique, add a couple of english words to it that are associated with that particular use. So your SA password might be IXfQi5passwordgaysowhat, bank password IXfQi5imsopoor and so on. Easy to remember, unique for each use, strong, impossible to dictionary attack.
lol passwordgaysowhat

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box A posted:

I found his account

lol passwordgaysowhat

Meh, I don't think that's the worst tbqh, even a weird custom algorithm that produces a long password given a small input is still better then nothing. It's basically a otp at that point anyway.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Meh, I don't think that's the worst tbqh, even a weird custom algorithm that produces a long password given a small input is still better then nothing. It's basically a otp at that point anyway.

Better than password reuse, worse than a password manager.

To be honest there's so much password reuse and breaches tend to be so large that people don't go through the list of plain text passwords from multiple breaches trying to work out patterns between similar but different passwords, they just throw the whole list at various websites as is and ignore anything that doesn't work first try.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

lol i remember one of my colleagues being really pissed about this as well, because of all the "wasted time in the CERT community"

owned bithc

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

one day, long after our stupid gay forum is dead, a tear will glisten in my eye when i read a story about a republican being 0wned by a hacker called yosposbithc

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
homegrown crypto question: how bad is it if you can narrow down the range of possible values for the IV based on, say, the current date/time?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

redleader posted:

homegrown crypto question: how bad is it if you can narrow down the range of possible values for the IV based on, say, the current date/time?

real bad

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

im wrong

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 11, 2017

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

redleader posted:

Depends on what you're using the IV for.

For a lot of protocols, it doesn't matter if IVs are predictable, just that they're unique. Time-based IVs (or sequential IVs) may be suitable for these protocols. Although if an untrusted peer can initiate a conversation with an IV of their choice (even if they won't be able to understand what's in it) then they may be able to predict a "future" IV from a legitimate peer and force the subsequent legitimate future conversation to use a non-unique IV, which is generally pretty bad. In general, you want to not allow IVs to be chosen freely by clients for this reason.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Cardboard Box A posted:

I found his account

lol passwordgaysowhat

lazorexplosion posted:

Firstly you would have to find a place that stores plain text passwords which almost never happens because virtually everyone these days knows to at least store passwords as hashes. Then you'd need to human-read all the passwords in the database looking for patterns to figure out, nobody does this because lol at actually reading 100,000 passwords instead of just feeding them to a bot. Then you'd need to recompute all your rainbow tables and doing that to try and get a chance of a single user's login is an insane amount of work when you can just use automated attacks that compromise the millions of accounts with fewwordenglishpassword by the thousand.

You're so much more likely to have you password manager be compromised which is something that actually happens.

:allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

redleader posted:

ivs don't need to be secret, and with something like aes-ctr they're trivially predictable. they do however need to be unique, and the current date/time is something that an attacker may be able to control to force duplicates

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chalks posted:

Better than password reuse, worse than a password manager.

To be honest there's so much password reuse and breaches tend to be so large that people don't go through the list of plain text passwords from multiple breaches trying to work out patterns between similar but different passwords, they just throw the whole list at various websites as is and ignore anything that doesn't work first try.

Right. Having your super secret password for a website being [non-unique salt]+websitename+[N repeating characters of padding] is still a solid password scheme for an individual. But yes, just use a password manager.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Right. Having your super secret password for a website being [non-unique salt]+websitename+[N repeating characters of padding] is still a solid password scheme for an individual. But yes, just use a password manager.
source your quotes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"i have a really simple system: for banks and email and facebook i have good unique passwords that i remember. for everything else i just use the same password"

i have an even simpler system: just use a password manager for everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

"i have a really simple system: for banks and email and facebook i have good unique passwords that i remember. for everything else i just use the same password"

i have an even simpler system: just use a password manager for everything
i used to be like that before reading this thread - cool poo poo password for important things, and a few disposables for the rest

now i just click once to keep rear end and it's cool, thanks thread

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do you keep print outs of your passwords?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do you keep print outs of your passwords?
no

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

then what happens when your vault goes *poof*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

then what happens when your vault goes *poof*
i just restore passwords for e-mail ?