Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

shirts and skins posted:

I know you guys have been making innovative trades lately but how are you going to flip your 1st rounder and three 2nds to yourself?

I almost put in a disclaimer lol, knew someone would say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Some aspects of the Panthers/Peppers breakup really stuck in my craw, but it's hard not to be happy about him coming home.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol we're gonna find two starting guards for 10 million a year

Ignore that one of them is barely above replacement level

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Is that an improvement? The way you guys talk it sounds like it might be an improvement.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Seeing that those reports about Lang already heading back from Seattle may be false. Apparently he doesn't even land at SeaTac til 11 PST.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/840252396844568576

Guess we'll find out what's true soon enough. I'll still be surprised if he signs, someone will bid higher than Seattle.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 10, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol we're gonna find two starting guards for 10 million a year

If you don't mind making one of them bottom of the basement-level, the Browns will give you Brock and Erving for a 7th.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Is that an improvement? The way you guys talk it sounds like it might be an improvement.

Well Bushrod was our RG last year and he was ranked below Larsens so I mean, it really is an improvement!

I like the versatility by all three of our interior linemen. I think next draft we go heavy on OL including a guard and center prospect.

This year we've gotta start building for wakes retirement.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Ervings gonna try to play RT bro, looked alright in the one game he played there.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Some aspects of the Panthers/Peppers breakup really stuck in my craw, but it's hard not to be happy about him coming home.

He left because he hated charlotte.

he moonwalked through an entire season trying to force a trade

he left because his agent (one of the guys who taught the fake classes at unc) wanted him in a bigger market so he could get a cut of his marketing deals

he was the connection point for this same agent to extend usurious loans to athletes from unc entering the draft so they could buy like hummers and poo poo

he intentionally hosed the panthers by saying he'd only play in a 3-4, and only for the patriots or cowboys. at the time he was tampering with chicago

gently caress him

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Intruder posted:

This is an extremely deep TE class though

Yeah, I'd love to see Jordan Cam-
https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/840051164683067392
gently caress.

TT isn't going to sign Bennett because that would cost money, and I'm not super thrilled with the rest of the field.

Maybe Lance Kendricks? Is he still any good?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Mike Remmers is visiting with the Texans, Fiz tell me he doesn't suck plz

From what I've heard he was awful at LT but is a decent RT, but who knows

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Cameron was knocked retarded I hope he's ok long term

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

shirts and skins posted:

Seeing that those reports about Lang already heading back from Seattle may be false. Apparently he doesn't even land at SeaTac til 11 PST.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/840252396844568576

Guess we'll find out what's true soon enough. I'll still be surprised if he signs, someone will bid higher than Seattle.

Getting Lang would be a huge step up for us. Russell is fantastic at escaping outside pressure, but interior pressure as well is just too much. With Lang and Britt holding up the middle, and hopefully Ifedi making strides in his sophomore year, the Seahawks will look a lot better. Plus it would be nice to have Rawls making contact at the line of scrimmage instead of before. Barry Sanders wouldn't have averaged 4 ypc the way they played last season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

Never recovered from the super bowl.

It'd be cruel to put Tony Romo behind him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Infidel Castro posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see Jordan Cam-

TT isn't going to sign Bennett because that would cost money, and I'm not super thrilled with the rest of the field.

Maybe Lance Kendricks? Is he still any good?

Intruder meant for the draft I think, though that doesn't really address my point about not being pleased that we now have to burn a draft pick on a position that we'd found a 3-season answer at.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm going to miss Williams Hayes, but I guess he doesn't fit the 3-4, also doesn't hurt that a trade minimizes his dead cash and clears 5 million in cap room.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chichevache posted:

Getting Lang would be a huge step up for us. Russell is fantastic at escaping outside pressure, but interior pressure as well is just too much. With Lang and Britt holding up the middle, and hopefully Ifedi making strides in his sophomore year, the Seahawks will look a lot better. Plus it would be nice to have Rawls making contact at the line of scrimmage instead of before. Barry Sanders wouldn't have averaged 4 ypc the way they played last season.

If they can sign him it'll be a giant deal for sure. Ifedi struggled last year but has tons of potential, it would make a world of difference to have a stable interior OL.

Of course, OT has been bad enough that I wonder if we split Ifedi out there if we get Lang. Ifedi seemed more comfortable there in college, and that's where we desperately need help.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Injuries piled up, initially Shanahan's fault for playing him when his knee was already injured. But I think in retrospect his lack of awareness makes him an extremely injury prone player who will probably never stay healthy.

The offense RG3 was successful with his rookie season was not a traditional NFL passing attack. Shanahan's plan was to slowly turn him into more of a pocket passer as he mastered how to run a modern offense over a couple of years. However RG3's giant ego and his influence with Snyder got in the way. RG3 wanted to be a drop pack QB and he pulled strings with Snyder to make that happen against the wishes of Shanahan.

So you end up with a player who has zero awareness dropping back in the pocket trying to make reads he can't actually do.

Gotcha. So basically, his good streak wasn't sustainable, it was a gimmick people don't use because of exactly what wound up happening.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

shirts and skins posted:

If they can sign him it'll be a giant deal for sure. Ifedi struggled last year but has tons of potential, it would make a world of difference to have a stable interior OL.

Of course, OT has been bad enough that I wonder if we split Ifedi out there if we get Lang. Ifedi seemed more comfortable there in college, and that's where we desperately need help.

Hopefully we can get a decent guard in the draft. I wouldn't mind moving Ifedi outside. I still thank Fant has loads of potential, and I'm willing to keep him at tackle, since Russell avoids that pressure the best anyway. I just want the interior solidified and Gilliam to never step foot on the field except for jumbo packages where he is an eligible receiver.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Cian Fahey's current "no you're wrong check out these Cherry Picked Videos" this week is Mike Glennon

http://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/840268351851155456

His highlight is a highlight because Earl Thomas broke for a second

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Gotcha. So basically, his good streak wasn't sustainable, it was a gimmick people don't use because of exactly what wound up happening.

Pretty much. Mike and Kyle realized super early on, based on tape and OTAs and stuff, that this guy just could not do things that an NFL QB should be able to do. Drop back, read a defense, making the right read, all that. So they tailor built an offense for him in like three months or so and it was really effective. Really simple. Read the DE, give it to Alfred if he stays home. If its a play action pass, read only one side of the field. That was it. Make something happen if the play is broken.

What they couldn't account for was his stubbornness on "never giving up on a play" and "not learning how to slide and protect himself", which lead to him taking hits that resembled the crash test dummy commercials. Add to the fact that he was just too small and skinny to be taking the hits like he did and thats how he ended up the way he did.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Even Osweiler has had good passes, one single play is evidence of jack poo poo

I watched the other two plays Fahey posted. Glennon throws with his entire body for 20 yard passes. His evasion and agility can be described as "newborn gazelle". This is evidence of good quarterbacking?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Intruder posted:

Do you like offensive linemen on skates who like to hug people? If you do you'll love him.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

He left because he hated charlotte.

he moonwalked through an entire season trying to force a trade

he left because his agent (one of the guys who taught the fake classes at unc) wanted him in a bigger market so he could get a cut of his marketing deals

he was the connection point for this same agent to extend usurious loans to athletes from unc entering the draft so they could buy like hummers and poo poo

he intentionally hosed the panthers by saying he'd only play in a 3-4, and only for the patriots or cowboys. at the time he was tampering with chicago

gently caress him

I don't feel as strongly about him as you do, but yeah, this move brings up conflicting emotions for sure. Between watching him at UNC and then as a Panther, there was a time he was one of my absolute favorite athletes in any sport. I certainly hated the way he left Charlotte and how he burned so many bridges in the process, of course. I guess it all just happened long enough ago now that I don't feel passionate about this signing in one direction or the other.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why do the Redskins hate Cousins so much?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even Osweiler has had good passes, one single play is evidence of jack poo poo

I watched the other two plays Fahey posted. Glennon throws with his entire body for 20 yard passes. His evasion and agility can be described as "newborn gazelle". This is evidence of good quarterbacking?

Cian Fahey is bad

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Intruder posted:

Remmers is the kind of guy that you make do with when you have no better options. He's better at RT in the sense that he's only mediocre there instead of absolutely horrific

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

evilweasel posted:

I wouldn't call it a gimmick offense so much as Griffin basically didn't develop the ability to read a defense at all. Remember, in his rookie year, the Redskins ran the most vanilla, vintage Shanahan playbook from the 90's you've ever seen, then as soon as the regular season hit, they unleashed read option stuff that people had never seen before. Naturally, teams had no idea at first how to defend it, which gave the Redskins wide open running lanes, and it's a system that gives the QB very, very easy reads on passes, so Griffin looked awesome as long as he was a running threat.

However, the novelty of the offense was gone even by the end of that regular season. Both the 49ers with Kaepernick and the Seahawks with Russell Wilson were both using various read option plays quite a bit, so other teams were learning how to defend it in various ways. However, both those teams continued to run it with some success after 2012, while RG3 (Thanks to Snyder) wanted to be like Peyton or Brady and drop back every single play... leading to the various instances of him having wide open receivers all over the field, but Griffin apparently couldn't make normal QB reads so he'd panic and try to run, but lacked the speed he had as a rookie, while still exposing himself to the kinds of kill shots other QBs (Notably Wilson) risk a lot less often, so he broke down and regressed badly.

EDIT: Santheb pretty much nailed it. If Griffin had learned how to protect himself and give up on plays that clearly aren't there, he'd probably have had more success, but his short stint in Cleveland shows he still hasn't, and he simply doesn't have the body that can take abuse the way bigger guys like Cam or Luck can (And even both of them have started to get injured in recent years).

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 10, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They don't like that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

He's a Flacco level qb but because the QB market in the NFL is insane he wants (and can get) best in the NFL money. They don't want to pay that, and weren't willing to pay Flacco level money a year or two years ago.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Cian Fahey is bad

Who is he?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

evilweasel posted:

He's a Flacco level qb but because the QB market in the NFL is insane he wants (and can get) best in the NFL money. They don't want to pay that, and weren't willing to pay Flacco level money a year or two years ago.

And what, keep tagging him year after year?

They have to sign him eventually

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what Kessler could do behind that line. Next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/120Sports/status/840081169420972032

lmao if true

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Same reason they're leaking anonymous reports to the Post that McLoughan is an alcoholic to get him fired for cause: Snyder is a cheap bastard that would rather run his franchise like a ripoff amusement park than a functioning team.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

And what, keep tagging him year after year?

They have to sign him eventually

Figuring he would take their offer rather than risk another year without a long-term deal? They are all idiots, after all. I mean, best case scenario was he turned into a pumpkin and they had no QB, but avoided a brock situation, and now they have no QB, and are the laughingstock of the league!

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Also Bob Griffin was never the fastest turning a corner. He was Forrest Gump running in a straight line, but as far as getting to the corner and turning it...just wasnt his strong suit. He never had that Vick like agility and presence. So when his knee got torn up and he did the "All In for Game 1" thing and tried to be like Adrian Peterson with the ACL recovery, it really hosed him because it was obvious he wasn't recovered the way he should be, and had lost his straight line speed to boot.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

More likely they're just pissy that RGIII didn't work out and can't handle it like adults.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I worked with a guy who was 6'8" once. The joke was that we needed to hire a guy who was 6'9" to tell him what to do. I don't blame BOB for wanting to deck him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lazerbeam posted:

Who is he?

Dude on twitter who does freelance writing for like a dozen different sites and only cares about his own amateur film breakdown stuff. He can have interesting analysis, but due to twitter / his personality, kinda ends up as a hot take dude a lot.

If you read his replies to that Glennon tweet, he doesn't think Glennon is actually good, just that he has a shot, and has shown more then the Osweilers of the world.

• Locked thread