Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
he linked to the relevant part, but ponza is named after some kind of pizza thing in wisconsin which is a mess of ingredients, much like the deck is a mess of cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

Is there an answer that doesn't involve an hour long YouTube video?

Well my 30 seconds of googling suggests that one of the first successful decks with land destruction spells was called ponza and nerds stuck with it because why switch names.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cactrot posted:

It's apparently a food name deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol I was going to ask about that, but I assumed it was some scapeshift variant with a boarded Baloth that I was unfamiliar with that plays ... Utopia sprawl? never heard of ponza before this, what a hilarious pile of like 4th rate garbage

To be fair, the deck is better than it looks and actually top 16ed a GP recently. Still wouldn't call it a good deck though

Cactrot posted:

Why is it called ponza?

It's called ponza because red LD decks in the 90s were called ponza. I don't remember exactly why, though

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

E: also BVV appears to be playing noted good deck ponza

This is what blows my mind.

I've complained to my opponent once on MTGO, and that was a match of limited where I drew a total of 3 creatures in 2 games with an 18 creature deck. And that was just me saying "Well I guess I forgot to put creatures in my deck, haha" or something close to that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cactrot posted:

Jeez I even found the timestamp. It's apparently a reference to a pizza/taco place that sold "pizza/enchiladas that [were] called ponzas" because the deck itself was a clumsy mixture of cards (LD + red fatties + burn).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mean turn 2 Blood Moon is probably really depressing for a lot of decks but there are other ways to do that. I kinda want to build it since the only card I need is the Blood Moons but I have enough tier 2+ decks that I run on a regular basis :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

Jeez I even found the timestamp. It's apparently a reference to a pizza/taco place that sold "pizza/enchiladas that [were] called ponzas" because the deck itself was a clumsy mixture of cards (LD + red fatties + burn).

Apparently my phone did not respect the timestamp and started from the beginning, thanks though.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

BJPaskoff posted:

I think I've told this story before. The saltiest opponent I ever had on MTGO was when I was playing in a free sealed league for judges. My pool sucked, but I had a Battle of Wits, so I said gently caress it, it's free, and played my entire pool with enough lands to pad it out. I hit the Battle of Wits turn five naturally both games of my first match. My opponent said something like, "Great, I lost to the guy who's going to go 1-2 drop."

I'd laugh pretty hard at that loss because how often is that going to happen to you? Same for when I got milled at an Origins pre-release, it just never happens so might as well enjoy losing in an odd way.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

suicidesteve posted:

This is what blows my mind.

I've complained to my opponent once on MTGO, and that was a match of limited where I drew a total of 3 creatures in 2 games with an 18 creature deck. And that was just me saying "Well I guess I forgot to put creatures in my deck, haha" or something close to that.

Yeah, if I've ever "complained" online it's always been with extremely obvious self-deprecating-esque sarcasm like that. "Man I thought I remembered to pack a few islands!" after finally drawing an island with a grip of blue spells on turn 8, or something. It's all about humility; if you can't laugh at variance biting you in the rear end once in a while, you need to take about 300 steps back and re-evaluate your life priorities.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

smokyprogg posted:

Ran a turbo fog list at FNM a couple weeks back, and was told by one of the Spikier players that it's bad etiquette to play a deck that slow and it could get me bumped for "intentionally wasting time."

When asked about lantern control, he said "yeah, but that deck's actually good."

*Magic players*

Turbo Fog is fine.

I think it only gets annoying to play against when the person playing it turns it into a mill deck that only mills cards by making the opponent draw for turn. Play all the mass removal and fog effects you want, but lead up to something.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Win condition: elixir of immortality :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gwrtheyrn posted:

At that point, I recommend expressing your hatred of Magic players by standing on the table and urinating on their cards and other acts of vandalism and violence. Because I know that's how I feel.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Star Man posted:

At that point, I recommend expressing your hatred of Magic players by standing on the table and urinating on their cards and other acts of vandalism and violence. Because I know that's how I feel.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

Turbo Fog is fine.

I think it only gets annoying to play against when the person playing it turns it into a mill deck that only mills cards by making the opponent draw for turn. Play all the mass removal and fog effects you want, but lead up to something.

don't listen to this guy because this style of deck owns and so does tilting your opponent

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

80s James Hetfield posted:

don't listen to this guy because this style of deck owns and so does tilting your opponent

I already play the unfun combo of Chalice of the Void and Blood Moon. I love torture, but I got a long list of people to torture and don't got all day.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
It's great when someone doesn't know what you're playing and they're on the GR Pummeler deck or something super aggro-like and they get so confident on T3 or T4 when they can kill you but you drop a fog after they waste like 4-5 cards on pumping the creature.

One guy at my LGS gets all huffy and puffy and is like "I basically won, if you didn't have that card you'd be dead" and then you throw back at him how if he didn't have the cards he had then you wouldn't have died and they go through all kind of mental gymnastics how you're lucky to be alive and their style of play was slighted because you prevented them from doing X by doing Y

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

It's great when someone doesn't know what you're playing and they're on the GR Pummeler deck or something super aggro-like and they get so confident on T3 or T4 when they can kill you but you drop a fog after they waste like 4-5 cards on pumping the creature.

One guy at my LGS gets all huffy and puffy and is like "I basically won, if you didn't have that card you'd be dead" and then you throw back at him how if he didn't have the cards he had then you wouldn't have died and they go through all kind of mental gymnastics how you're lucky to be alive and their style of play was slighted because you prevented them from doing X by doing Y

tell him if he hadn't been playing magic in the first place he wouldn't have lost like a little bitch

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

One guy at my LGS gets all huffy and puffy and is like "I basically won, if you didn't have that card you'd be dead"

I always just respond "yeah, deck construction is an important factor in winning games."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I, too, enjoy the philosophizing over magic cards. That's why I enjoy playing draw-go control, so I can have a conversation that isn't about magic while playing. It's the most (only) fun part about playing Miracles.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

tell him if he hadn't been playing magic in the first place he wouldn't have lost like a little bitch

:eyepop:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

The nephalia drownyard deck was some of the most miserable magic I can remember. That mirror had to be an all time worst.

Has there ever been a genuinely sweet mill deck that wasn't terrible?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ban Magic players. Life is better that way, trust me on this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Miracles is fun because not letting your opponent do anything when they still think they're able to is the best form of magic outside vintage doomsday

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Star Man posted:

Turbo Fog is fine.

What if it's the howling mine font of mythos package where you lose because you had to draw 8 for turn?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Speaking on tier 2+ decks in Modern, are you still playing Tutelage Turbofog? I remembered the other day that I still have that thing built, and then immediately remembered why I never actually run it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Marketing New Brain posted:

do storm decks that kill with brain freeze count?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ive said it a million times and ill say it again....the most fun magic deck of all time is UW Sphinx-Elixir without aetherling or elspeth

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What if it's the howling mine font of mythos package where you lose because you had to draw 8 for turn?

Seems good. I meant that "mill by draw step" statement as one card at a time.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

C-Euro posted:

Speaking on tier 2+ decks in Modern, are you still playing Tutelage Turbofog? I remembered the other day that I still have that thing built, and then immediately remembered why I never actually run it.

No, I haven't actually played Modern in a long time, probably last June.

In my modern meta alot of people play T1 lists and that deck gets owned so hard by Chalice on 1.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Madmarker posted:

Ive said it a million times and ill say it again....the most fun magic deck of all time is UW Sphinx-Elixir without aetherling or elspeth

The deck Floch won the Pro Tour with is my favorite deck ever and I have never enjoyed playing anything that much besides that and then UR Ensoul is a close second

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

do storm decks that kill with brain freeze count?

same but high tide and pointing blue sun's zenith at the opponent

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The nephalia drownyard deck was some of the most miserable magic I can remember. That mirror had to be an all time worst.

Painter Stone.

Though one day I will show up to a Legacy Grand Prix drunk as hell and play Four Horsemen. I might also be found in a stall in a men's room with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head after round five.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

Same but Necroing and Drain Lifeing/Corrupting turn after turn while neutering their hand with discard.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

That UR Sphinxes Tutelage deck that Michael Majors won a GP with was hilarious. Watch the finals, I think the guy was on Abzan and just had no idea what the gently caress was going on and died so fast. His facial expressions of being so dumbfounded by what's going on is great

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

UberJew posted:

solidarity is great, can we also agree that twiddle desire was great

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

That UR Sphinxes Tutelage deck that Michael Majors won a GP with was hilarious. Watch the finals, I think the guy was on Abzan and just had no idea what the gently caress was going on and died so fast. His facial expressions of being so dumbfounded by what's going on is great

I cant watch from work right now; but I'm hoping this is the match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QgJ3Eulczc

Because it sounds hilarious and I cant wait to watch

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
MTGO communication is not so bad!

mostly there's nothing beyond gg and glhf, but I will occasionally compliment an opponent on a sick play or w/e and they respond well.

Good-natured grumbling about being flooded or whatever is OK too.

Every once in a while someone will go 'nice topdeck'. The best reponse is 'thanks!'

I mean you have standard lovely losers like any other game but by the standards of game chat it's practically civilized. I haven't (personally) experienced death threats, anti-gay, anti-semetic, or racist stuff. That's way better than your average game of call of duty or overwatch or company of heros.

I've been told I had a really cool deck a couple of times and that felt cool. A couple of times playing goblinslide in KTK draft and a sweet 3-color BUG ramp/control/keranos deck in theros.

I did notice that 8-4 draft players were more polite than swiss. (I haven't played much since leagues. I'm unemployed because of health issues so I don't really have the spare cash.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

Miracles is fun because not letting your opponent do anything when they still think they're able to is the best form of magic outside vintage doomsday

doomsday hits a rare sweet spot of being as frustrating to play as it it is to play against

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mandatory lesbian posted:

doomsday hits a rare sweet spot of being as frustrating to play as it it is to play against

Doomsday isn't annoying to play against. It usually only takes a couple turns after they resolve it for them to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Doomsday isn't annoying to play against. It usually only takes a couple turns after they resolve it for them to lose.
I have yet to see someone other than LSV pilot a doomsday deck to victory after casting the namesake card.

• Locked thread