Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Entropy238 posted:

Eh ... it's still a bit much for me, judging by what I'm seeing from streamers.

Guess I'll wait.

I mean, the game also features a (context-free spoilers)robot orgy that culminates in a gooey live birth, and at least one instance of strangling someone to death that also functions as a sex scene, so if you think the outfit is the most of your worries, it's probably not for you, to be totally honest.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Just finished Route A. I'm not sure I bought, emotionally, 2B's grief over the death of 9S. I mean...he's right, he can just load a backup copy. Haven't you been "teleporting" your data all over the continent, ma'am? I've watched Star Trek, I know the issues involved.

Hell, why does death mean anything to these guys? Shouldn't they all be chilling in The Cloud?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, the game also features a (context-free spoilers)robot orgy that culminates in a gooey live birth, and at least one instance of strangling someone to death that also functions as a sex scene, so if you think the outfit is the most of your worries, it's probably not for you, to be totally honest.

I imagine their issue is with the creepy sexualization of a female character which isn't really present in either of those scenarios.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Just finished Route A. I'm not sure I bought, emotionally, 2B's grief over the death of 9S. I mean...he's right, he can just load a backup copy. Haven't you been "teleporting" your data all over the continent, ma'am? I've watched Star Trek, I know the issues involved.

Hell, why does death mean anything to these guys? Shouldn't they all be chilling in The Cloud?

I just did the same thing right now and the point is that he's reset back to whatever copy they had at the bunker, which is presumably from before they knew each other. it seems to imply that he's died on 2b more than just the two times you see in route a, so I'm guessing she's sick of rebuilding their relationship from square one like that over and over again

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Genocyber posted:

I imagine their issue is with the creepy sexualization of a female character which isn't really present in either of those scenarios.

Their issue was being embarrassed to play the game in front of their SO, and there's WAY more uncomfortable/weird sexualization stuff, the main character's outfit legitimately isn't even the tip of the iceberg. You could put 2B in full modesty garb and this would still not be a game you'd feel very comfortable playing in front of anybody. I'm not saying it as some sort of "Man up, snowflake" kind of thing or anything like that, it's a completely legitimate complaint, but the game goes WAY beyond that pretty regularly.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 10, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lmao if your wife feels threatened by a anime android

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
OK first playthrough done time to get to bizznass

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

HellCopter posted:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I just did the same thing right now and the point is that he's reset back to whatever copy they had at the bunker, which is presumably from before they knew each other. it seems to imply that he's died on 2b more than just the two times you see in route a, so I'm guessing she's sick of rebuilding their relationship from square one like that over and over again

All I can tell you guys is, this is material that will be addressed later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o I'm sure it will be (this ain't my first yoko taro joint), but that's how I see things atm

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Crappy Jack posted:

Their issue was being embarrassed to play the game in front of their SO, and there's WAY more uncomfortable/weird sexualization stuff, the main character's outfit legitimately isn't even the tip of the iceberg. You could put 2B in full modesty garb and this would still not be a game you'd feel very comfortable playing in front of anybody. I'm not saying it as some sort of "Man up, snowflake" kind of thing or anything like that, it's a completely legitimate complaint, but the game goes WAY beyond that pretty regularly.

Thanks. Yeah the main thing isn't the nudity, which is fine, but just the overt sexualisation the characters. It's FFX-2 syndrome, great game with good underlying mechanics but too much creepy anime. Someone released a similar mod for that so it's why I was asking.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Really, it's just 2B's outfit. I never felt uncomfortable about any character, and even 2B is only as tasteless as the player's camera is. Cutscenes don't zoom in on her butt or anything.
I've still only cleared Route A though so who knows what weird stuff goes on later!

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks. Yeah the main thing isn't the nudity, which is fine, but just the overt sexualisation the characters. It's FFX-2 syndrome, great game with good underlying mechanics but too much creepy anime. Someone released a similar mod for that so it's why I was asking.

I don't think it's fair to compare "you can see 2B's rear end sometimes" to "watching magical girl transformations is a gameplay mechanic", but hey, to each their own. If it's any consolation you'll be switching characters eventually, and then you'll get some more modest outfits for 2B herself

dasmause fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 10, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Press the stick buttons down

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

Buy on PC and request more covered up clothing mod? You do get a full armor set but it looks pretty awkward anyways but it's only after you clear a few routes.

btw: Anyone find 9S design to be odd since he's the only one who looks like 12 yrs old in the entire game. He sounds like he's the same "age" as the other androids though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alder posted:

btw: Anyone find 9S design to be odd since he's the only one who looks like 12 yrs old in the entire game. He sounds like he's the same "age" as the other androids though.

Odd unlike the design of the combat android that wears stiletto heels in the desert?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
9S looks like 2B's tag-along younger brother when they're standing next to eachother. YoRHa is a bunch of warriors and then there's this dweeb.

e: Raiden's combat heels aided him in battle and I believe in 2B's fashion choices as well

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Alder posted:

Yeah kinda? It's odd that every single other YoRHa type of androids is a mature woman but Scanners are boys. Maybe writers/designers wanted to play around with role reversal, making lead female character a warrior/defender and lead male character a non-combatant who needs to be protected. Even on cover art 2B is princess-carrying 9S

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HellCopter posted:

9S looks like 2B's tag-along younger brother when they're standing next to eachother. YoRHa is a bunch of warriors and then there's this dweeb.

e: Raiden's combat heels aided him in battle and I believe in 2B's fashion choices as well

Agreed, it's weird and 9S does have limited combat ability. Although they do look cute when 9S is following you around the map.

dasmause posted:

Yeah kinda? It's odd that every single other YoRHa type of androids is a mature woman but Scanners are boys. Maybe writers/designers wanted to play around with role reversal, making lead female character a warrior/defender and lead male character a non-combatant who needs to be protected. Even on cover art 2B is princess-carrying 9S

I don't mind but it's the point where it's hard to take him seriously when he looks like kid in a super serious dystopia. I imagine it's more normal if I met other Scanners or even male androids (Non-resistance) in the field.

Alt 2B outfit (spoilers) http://imgur.com/a/yPtkT

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rasamune posted:

The PC version isn't out yet and the outfits aren't that risqué, you have to go well out of your way to see 2B's butt

Nah, if you run in the default outfit you get well acquainted with 2B's butt. It's the third protagonist, after 9S. Just like with deliberately leaving out autosave to troll people who bitched about Nier and deliberately putting in that mosquito noise treasure alarm that only young people can hear in order to troll adult fans, Yoko Taro prominently features a pervert-crafted lady rear end in his game order to troll people who are afraid of asses and/or who would want to play this around anyone who is afraid of asses.

I actually can't wait for a new outfit, because at this point I'm sick of seeing that damned rear end. Like, woman, put some clothes on and while we're at it take of the heels; maybe you'd stop stumbling all the time if you wore some sensible shoes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

I actually can't wait for a new outfit, because at this point I'm sick of seeing that damned rear end. Like, woman, put some clothes on and while we're at it take of the heels; maybe you'd stop stumbling all the time if you wore some sensible shoes.

9S trips over random rocks too :sigh:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Alder posted:

9S trips over random rocks too :sigh:

Maybe it's the blindfold then... hmmmmmm

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Alder posted:

I don't mind but it's the point where it's hard to take him seriously when he looks like kid in a super serious dystopia. I imagine it's more normal if I met other Scanners or even male androids (Non-resistance) in the field.

I know it's kind of like an excuse phrase, but I do believe that "that's the point", considering the overall events of the game. And the whole thing with child characters in Yoko Taro games
Also you meet at least 4 other scanners over the course of the game

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nah, if you run in the default outfit you get well acquainted with 2B's butt.

2B(utt cheeks)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey this game released in Europe today, and this cannot continue

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: While on the topic of the novella, "NieR RepliCant Recollection" (Japanese calls it the "Project Gestalt Recollection" - it seems to be a retelling of the events of Nier from Devola and Popola's perspective.

I ordered World Guide (which features two novella) and pre-ordered the Strategy Guide coming out later this month (which will include another two novella) with the intent of translating them in full. If there are any unique stories in the JP Black Box novel I'd be happy to translate them too, if anyone can provide me with scans!

dasmause posted:

Also you meet at least 4 other scanners over the course of the game

I remember the two from the Confidential Intel and Reconnaissance side quests, were there any more?

Speaking of the Confidential Intel quest, I was confused by why the soundtrack got super foreboding after the Resistance Member introduced his Scanner 'family' member; was wondering if he was being manipulated against his will or something. Now I realize it was because 2B was thinking "They are soooo dead."

dazat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2017

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Nah, if you run in the default outfit you get well acquainted with 2B's butt. It's the third protagonist, after 9S. Just like with deliberately leaving out autosave to troll people who bitched about Nier and deliberately putting in that mosquito noise treasure alarm that only young people can hear in order to troll adult fans, Yoko Taro prominently features a pervert-crafted lady rear end in his game order to troll people who are afraid of asses and/or who would want to play this around anyone who is afraid of asses.

Weird, that's not been my experience at all. I guess I've just not been looking in that general direction

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dazat posted:

Speaking of the Confidential Intel quest, I was confused by why the soundtrack got super foreboding after the Resistance Member introduced his Scanner 'family' member; was wondering if he was being manipulated against his will or something. Now I realize it was because 2B was thinking "They are soooo dead."

Well the scanner was also begging for help, or trying to, having been killed and then frankensteined back together and made into some guy's son.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I appear to be stuck, having fallen down a waterfall to a semi-underground area with an elevator. There's a small path to near the top of the waterfall, but past that, I can't seem to see where to go. Suggestions?

Norns posted:

Lmao if your wife feels threatened by a anime android

If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son, but I've got 99 problems and robot rear end ain't one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lakbay posted:

2B(utt cheeks)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Does anyone know Where the Nuclear Arms Manual is? The wiki says it's in a building accessible by the vine used in Speed Star's first quest, but I've gone through every inch of the building and found nothing. There is an opened chest, but I checked my archives and it's not there, and while I don't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure that chest didn't have anything important in it. My item scan chip isn't showing anything either. I'm looking right after the Goliath assault.

Dunno if you found this, but it only appears during Pascal's Old World Info quest.

Major spoilers

http://nier2.com/blog/2017/03/07/nierautomata-world-guide-novellas/
Dialogue was added to the Novella summary.
Only read when you have finished endings C/D onwards.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

dazat posted:

I remember the two from the Confidential Intel and Reconnaissance side quests, were there any more?

One is in the Bunker as a vendor in one of the rooms, another you talk to after ending B while hacking robots controlling anti air defenses as 9S

As for confidential intel, the way I see it, Resistance member just found a bunch of YoRHa chips and crammed it inside random scanner's head, as a result that scanner can barely think or function, that's why when he speaks he can barely talk. 2B's reaction looked to me as if she's looking at some sort of abomination

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I appear to be stuck, having fallen down a waterfall to a semi-underground area with an elevator. There's a small path to near the top of the waterfall, but past that, I can't seem to see where to go. Suggestions?

If you are where I think you are, path continues beyond the waterfall, you have to jump across

dasmause fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 10, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No, her design is as such because Taro (and others on the team I'm sure) wanted her to be sexy. He's been rather upfront with that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Genocyber posted:

No, her design is as such because Taro (and others on the team I'm sure) wanted her to be sexy. He's been rather upfront with that.

He's also said the opposite at times. I personally believe the "because it's sexy" reason is the real one, but he says whatever will play better to his audience a lot of the time. He's into doublespeak, basically.

As a whole though, I don't believe her design is especially sexualised at all. Rather, I think she's just got an extremely good and attractive design, and people who wear good clothes are sexy. It's more of a secondary benefit, in my eyes. A2's better in every way anyway though...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nier Autobooty: 2Butt's Bizarre Adventures

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The butt is good

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Well the scanner was also begging for help, or trying to, having been killed and then frankensteined back together and made into some guy's son.

dasmause posted:

As for confidential intel, the way I see it, Resistance member just found a bunch of YoRHa chips and crammed it inside random scanner's head, as a result that scanner can barely think or function, that's why when he speaks he can barely talk. 2B's reaction looked to me as if she's looking at some sort of abomination

Ah, I remember his speech being stilted but it was vague enough (in the JP at least) that I came out of the quest not completely sure what was going down. I still wonder if they actually got done in by machines (like the email stated) or a YoRHa agent, though, esp considering you find out later all S types have E units assigned to take care of them...

Re: 2B butt drama, I don't find it that distracting but yeah, it's also not completely avoidable; if you ever start sprinting or climb up a ladder you're going to get a glimpse of cheek.

dazat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 10, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's also said the opposite at times. I personally believe the "because it's sexy" reason is the real one, but he says whatever will play better to his audience a lot of the time. He's into doublespeak, basically.

The design is a huge joke. She's wearing a skirt with a split in the front so you can see her crotch and when she runs the back rides up so that her flexing butt cheeks are visible. The first ladder I went down after the introduction placed the camera right up against her rear end as she descended. Hell, when she self destructs you're basically blowing her skirt up so that the butt's hanging out there for a while. It's intentionally pervy to the point where it comes off like a joke about leering at a virtual character that you can manipulate as you please. At the same time it was meticulously designed by, I think Taro said, an rear end obsessed member of the team. So, essentially, *picture of old el paso girl saying "why not both?"*

EDIT: I mean huge joke as in it's a visual joke intentionally made by the developers, not in a "I'm literally shaking" sort of way.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 10, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The gameplay is so fast how can you even tell

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So with the item scan chip equipped, I'm seeing a chest on the map when I'm in the resistance camp, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to it, anyone able to help?

Actually wait, it occurs to me that it might be the chest from the quest where you have to move the boxes for that one guy, which just means that it respawned for some reason even though you can't reenter the quest area as far as I can tell.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
2B's butt is no joke.